Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Manga] Doesn't anyone like GTO.

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2006, 08:43 PM Local time: Oct 24, 2006, 06:43 PM #26 of 43
Originally Posted by chato
For me it was like :

Also, keep away from the movie of GTO Live action. Not too good. o.o;
I'm watching it right now on youtube. It's definately NOT something you want to start watching, as you'll probably start to think the TV series sucks the same way as the movie.

And for those of you not in the know, don't worry if you're thinking the movie is a condensed version of the main plot - it's not. Basically it's Onizuka going to Hokkaido about a year since the events at the Holy Forest Academy and teaching there as a substitute teacher to a whole new class. This is a similiar idea to the live action special, where if I recall, he goes to substitute at a Japanese Catholic school.

For those of you who want to straighten out who's who (list of characters) in the live action drama vs. manga/anime, this is quite a nice little chart which does give some spoilers, especially in the love interest section, so be cautious.

Also, I have not read/seen Shonan Junai Gumi, nor Great Tomoko Oppai as of yet.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

- What we all do best -

Last edited by Spatula; Oct 24, 2006 at 08:45 PM.
Memnoch
Badass Van

Member 12452

Level 6.82

Sep 2006

Old Oct 25, 2006, 08:45 AM Local time: Oct 25, 2006, 02:45 PM #27 of 43
I love GTO (manga > anime) but i've never really watched the live action..seeing some hate it and others love it,i'll def will try it in the near future^^

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2006, 01:23 PM Local time: Oct 25, 2006, 11:23 AM #28 of 43
Memnoch, I think it's the GTO Live Action MOVIE that they hate, not the Live Action TV series. The first bit keeps to the manga relatively well, but then it quickly breaks off and puts several events somewhat "out of order", but when you watch it, it makes sense why it was done that way.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

- What we all do best -
Kostaki
Team Bonklers!

Member 2155

Level 22.18

Mar 2006

Old Oct 26, 2006, 04:56 AM Local time: Oct 26, 2006, 04:56 AM #29 of 43
The thing about GTO is that you simply can't introduce an entirely new town and cast for the Onizuka character to exist in within such a short span of time. You have to push a lot of character emphasis in order to have the emotional impact for a lot of what Onizuka does, and the short span of the movie simply didn't allow that. The longer live action series pulled it off because obviously, it was longer.

The movie wasn't bad per se, but it was certainly inferior to the longer live action drama series.

How ya doing, buddy?
Memnoch
Badass Van

Member 12452

Level 6.82

Sep 2006

Old Oct 26, 2006, 03:53 PM Local time: Oct 26, 2006, 09:53 PM #30 of 43
Originally Posted by Spatula
Memnoch, I think it's the GTO Live Action MOVIE that they hate, not the Live Action TV series. The first bit keeps to the manga relatively well, but then it quickly breaks off and puts several events somewhat "out of order", but when you watch it, it makes sense why it was done that way.
Ow the movie, my friend saw it and he didn't like it...i'll try that one 2 when i'm bored^^

How ya doing, buddy?
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Oct 26, 2006, 06:03 PM Local time: Oct 26, 2006, 04:03 PM #31 of 43
It's like how Kostaki described it. You can't care less about the new students, because their personalities don't stick.

FELIPE NO

- What we all do best -
Makaar
Perfect Dark Zero Enthusiast

Member 12015

Level 6.89

Sep 2006

Old Oct 29, 2006, 01:48 PM #32 of 43
My brother got me into this show. Didn't realize the majority of people thought the manga was better....the only cases where I thought the manga was better than the anime was:

Trigun, Yugioh, Naruto, and somewhat Dragon Ball.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Oct 29, 2006, 07:26 PM Local time: Oct 29, 2006, 05:26 PM #33 of 43
Speaking of the manga, I'm reading up on some of the scanlations and some of the volumes are an EYESORE.

For example:
WHAT THE HELL IS THIS:

Can someone explain to me what the shitting hell is this colored piece of fuck? Well, I guess I'll just have to grin and bear it.

Now this is much better for my eyes.

MUCH BETTER:

Why can't we just get this for all the volumes? And no, I'm not inclined on spending over $250 (at $10 a volume) for all 25 volumes. Well, since the scans are free, I can only complain so much, or not at all.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

- What we all do best -
parKbench
chunin

Member 17747

Level 13.94

Jan 2007

Old Jan 9, 2007, 07:32 PM #34 of 43
I just started reading GTO. My wife picked it up because she heard about it, but she didn't like it. I picked it up and loved it! It is hilarious. I laugh out loud when I read it. I haven't seen the anime, but now I want to check out the live action.

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Jan 9, 2007, 08:17 PM Local time: Jan 9, 2007, 06:17 PM #35 of 43
The manga covers almost twice as much as the anime. You'll notice quite a few changes from the manga to the live action, obviously, and the ending is somewhat different (well quite different from the anime, I can tell you that), but all in all it tops as my favorite Jdrama, followed by Densha Otoko.

I like how Takashi Sorimachi (Onizuka) is married to Nanako Matsushima (Fuyutsuki-sensei) in real life.

How ya doing, buddy?

- What we all do best -
Pez

Member 4367

Level 10.22

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2007, 07:27 AM Local time: Jan 10, 2007, 11:27 PM #36 of 43
I've recently read the manga and it was indeed great. Some of the stuff which ended up being cut from the anime series was pure gold: the one chapter which really stood out for me was the one about cursed baking (Muffins or Cookies). So very wrong.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
parKbench
chunin

Member 17747

Level 13.94

Jan 2007

Old Jan 10, 2007, 06:59 PM #37 of 43
I've just finished watching the first 4 episodes of the live action GTO series and I have to say it is AWESOME! I haven't watched TV for the past 5 or so years, because with all the garbage on it, nothing is worth watching anymore. If they have one more "reality" show, or "Idol" show, I might just disconnect my cable. That said and done, the GTO series is amazing. It is what American TV has been missing for many years. The show is full of characters that you can identify with and root for. I highly recommend it. Go to youtube.com and watch the first episode. Go ahead, it's FREE. If you hae a heart, I guarantee you'll be hooked.

...plus there's that GTO theme song that I just can't get out of my head.....

I was speaking idiomatically.
Duo Maxwell
like this

Member 1139

Level 18.35

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2007, 07:25 PM Local time: Jan 10, 2007, 04:25 PM #38 of 43
I thought Shonan Junai Gumi was older than the GTO series, itself? Well, in regards to the Anime, anyway.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Posting without content since 2002.
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2007, 08:18 PM Local time: Jan 10, 2007, 06:18 PM #39 of 43
...plus there's that GTO theme song that I just can't get out of my head.....
Poison, sung by no other than Sorimachi himself, is a great track. I'm still trying to hunt down that song.

Quote:
Shonan Junai Gumi
Yes, Shonan Junai Gumi was written before, however it didn't catch no where as near as the popularity of GTO.

Now, I really wouldn't mind buying the complete manga and anime set, seeing that the manga scanlations I normally get from stoptazmo are sometimes a total eyesore.

Most amazing jew boots

- What we all do best -
K_ Takahashi
Banned

Member 2103

Level 26.24

Mar 2006

Old Jan 11, 2007, 02:21 AM #40 of 43
Poison, sung by no other than Sorimachi himself, is a great track. I'm still trying to hunt down that song.
Seanne has it on his FTP.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:23 PM #41 of 43
Let's revive the thread with the 1st episode of SJG.

http://bt.saiyaman.info/download.php...AW.avi.torrent

Finished it off a few minutes ago. Looks freakin awesome. I didn't mind the animation (obviously). If you're a real fan then nothing should stop you from watching it. Sadly, it's a RAW version from SaiYAman. Hope to see someone sub the damn thing.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by chato; Jan 27, 2007 at 05:05 PM.
parKbench
chunin

Member 17747

Level 13.94

Jan 2007

Old Feb 11, 2007, 09:08 PM #42 of 43
Also, I have not read/seen Shonan Junai Gumi, nor Great Tomoko Oppai as of yet.
Hey Scratch, what is Great Tomoko Oppai? I've never heard of it. Did they do a manga series starring Tomo-chan as a j-idol?

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Feb 11, 2007, 09:16 PM Local time: Feb 11, 2007, 07:16 PM #43 of 43
That's pratically what it is, a side story of Tomo. I don't know if it's actual well, "canon" material in the GTO universe or just a fan doujin.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

- What we all do best -

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Manga] Doesn't anyone like GTO.