Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Women are ruining TV

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2007, 10:32 AM #1 of 26
Women are ruining TV

This story cracks me up. It's good to see the US hasn't cornered the market on crazy old coots.

Originally Posted by BBC
Moore blames women for 'banal' TV

British TV standards are deteriorating because the BBC is "run by women", astronomer Sir Patrick Moore has said. The Sky at Night host also described female newsreaders as "jokey" and called for separate channels to cater for the needs of the different sexes.

"I think it may eventually happen," the 84-year-old told the Radio Times.

A BBC spokesman described Sir Patrick as being one of TV's best-loved figures and said his "forthright" views were "what we all love about him".

The presenter said: "The trouble is the BBC now is run by women and it shows soap operas, cooking, quizzes, kitchen-sink plays. You wouldn't have had that in the golden days. I would like to see two independent wavelengths - one controlled by women, and one for us, controlled by men."

He claimed that interesting programmes were screened too late at night, and said he would "rather be dead in a ditch" than appear on Celebrity Big Brother. And asked about his favourite series, Sir Patrick said he no longer enjoyed certain programmes because of their modern storylines.

"I used to watch Doctor Who and Star Trek, but they went PC - making women commanders, that kind of thing. I stopped watching."

Sir Patrick appears in the Guinness Book of Records as the longest-serving TV presenter, having appeared on his show about astronomy since 1957.
It's even funnier when you see the guy's picture:

So, what do you guys think? Are women ruining TV for the rest of us?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Little Brenty Brent Brent
Bulk's not everything. You need constant effort, too.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2007, 10:39 AM Local time: May 8, 2007, 08:39 AM #2 of 26
Younger generations are ruining television far more than women are. Networks and television shows try to appeal to a "younger" audience. What they really mean when they say that is a "dumber" audience. Very few shows presume that the viewer has even the cognitive capacity to turn on the TV to begin with, let alone comprehend complex story arcs and subtle character development.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2007, 10:43 AM Local time: May 8, 2007, 10:43 AM #3 of 26
That's really kind of a non-question. The guy didn't give specific examples, and is relying on a gut feeling to BS his way through an interview.

If it were true that women were responsible for all reality TV, maybe. =p
But laying that kind of responsibility at an entire gender's feet is ridiculous.

I mean, the guy described cooking shows as gendered. What does that say about him?

Most amazing jew boots
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2007, 10:47 AM #4 of 26
That's really kind of a non-question. The guy didn't give specific examples, and is relying on a gut feeling to BS his way through an interview.

If it were true that women were responsible for all reality TV, maybe. But laying that kind of responsibility at an entire gender's feet is ridiculous.

I mean, the guy described cooking shows as gendered. What does that say about him?
What Skex said.

The guy seems just old-fashioned to me. I can't speak for the UK, but I am pretty sure men also have "ruined" television. But then, when was television that great?

So there are cooking shows, reality shows, quizzes, and so on. Yea, thats all because women "run" the networks. I guess he's never heard of demographics and catering to an audience. People (in general) like dumbed-down television more than they like scientific explorations in astronomy - and I am pretty sure this is not just in the US or UK.

Maybe he needs to get with the times and understand that women have nothing to do with this.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2007, 10:49 AM Local time: May 8, 2007, 07:49 AM #5 of 26
This story cracks me up. It's good to see the US hasn't cornered the market on crazy old coots.

It's even funnier when you see the guy's picture:

I was speaking idiomatically.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2007, 11:00 AM #6 of 26
But then, when was television that great?
That's how I feel. I'm not sure that television 20-30 years ago was any better or worse than what we have now. Sure, reality TV has dumbed things down, but at any given time there are always "intelligent" shows and those programs that cater to the lowest common denominator. Sadly, the quirkier shows often fail to find an audience, but that's not the television execs' fault (unless they don't give it a chance, or give it a bad time slot).

How ya doing, buddy?
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2007, 11:09 AM Local time: May 8, 2007, 11:09 AM #7 of 26
If anything I feel like TV has been better the past few years as execs catch on to what the public really wants when they're not voting over the phone. 24, Heroes, Lost, and other similar shows have been phenomenal as far as success goes, and people are starting to recognize the value of underground appeal, as well, as we saw with the browncoats that cropped up after Firefly was canceled, or the revival of Futurama and Family Guy.

Adult Swim has certainly given everyone in the TV business a lesson in demographics, that's for sure. They may not have the best programs available, but they're taking risks, and its paying off.

FELIPE NO
Trigunnerz
!!!

Member 814

Level 22.27

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2007, 11:50 AM Local time: May 8, 2007, 08:50 AM #8 of 26
Maybe in sports. I don't mind seeing women sports announcers, but many of them seem clueless about it. They're just there for looks. And diversity.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Dance party!
Jochie
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 466

Level 19.65

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2007, 03:35 PM Local time: May 8, 2007, 01:35 PM #9 of 26
I think this guy is your basic old dude who is uncomfortable with change. The picture of him with the monocle really seals it for me. In this age of uber-political-correctness, we're always trying to please both our eyeballs at the same time.

The Iceman
Banned

Member 22434

Level 2.74

May 2007

Old May 9, 2007, 07:39 PM #10 of 26
Women are the reason that most people watch television. I invite you all to quote me for truth. Guys want to watch women. Women tend to enjoy television by women for women.

Most amazing jew boots
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2007, 07:51 PM #11 of 26
Quote:
"I used to watch Doctor Who and Star Trek, but they went PC - making women commanders, that kind of thing. I stopped watching."
Best line in the whole article. I can just see him turning on the new Doctor Who and having his monocle pop out at the sight of female doctors.

As for TV, I agree with what Skexis said about it getting better recently. Up until the last year or two I honestly can't remember the last time I found more than one interesting show per season. Now I've got something every night of the week, and have actually considered investing in a Tivo at some point. Not that I'll ever get one of course, since I'm convinced it would come to life one night after learning enough of my preferences and murder me while I sleep.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
DarkLink2135
River Chocobo

Member 5122

Level 24.05

Apr 2006

Old May 9, 2007, 07:59 PM #12 of 26
Im going to say this once, because I think deep down every guy here knows this - the reason women are ruining TV is because they dont show enough cleavage.

How ya doing, buddy?

FGSFDS!!!
nanashiusako
Good Chocobo

Member 4749

Level 17.91

Apr 2006

Old May 9, 2007, 08:02 PM #13 of 26
I agree with the above posts. This guy is just old-fashioned. Women are no longer tied only to the house. He needs to get out of the 1950s.

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2007, 08:03 PM #14 of 26
Best line in the whole article. I can just see him turning on the new Doctor Who and having his monocle pop out at the sight of female doctors.
I liked that line too, but more for its complete wrongness. There's been what, 1 major female commander in Star Trek (Janeway), and besides, the BBC doesn't even make that. Doctor Who, for all its PC, is still the exact same formula that is was in 1963: Male time traveler saves his mostly female buxom companions from danger. Sure, the companions have gotten smarter, but some of them in the 70's and 80's were no slouches either.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old May 9, 2007, 08:33 PM Local time: May 9, 2007, 08:33 PM #15 of 26
Patrick Moore is the fucking shit, and all you fuckers better recognize.

The problem is that he's mostly right. In a media environment dominated by the BBC, the prevalence of women has lead to an increased surge in banal television. Just look at all the daytime programming for old women and stay-at-home moms. Soaps and talk shows.

He's also right about Star Trek. Captain Janeway sucks.

FELIPE NO
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2007, 08:44 PM #16 of 26
I dunno, Lifetime original movies tend to be pretty good for a quick laugh.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old May 9, 2007, 09:26 PM Local time: May 9, 2007, 09:26 PM #17 of 26
I must be in the minorty then, since I hate Lifetime and day time soaps.
You're also not a stay-at-home mom or an old woman. In fact, you're posting on a gaming messageboard. Needless to say, I don't think that the media's corporate or state-financed masters have programming for you in mind.

Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2007, 09:42 PM Local time: May 9, 2007, 07:42 PM #18 of 26
Younger generations are ruining television far more than women are. Networks and television shows try to appeal to a "younger" audience. What they really mean when they say that is a "dumber" audience. Very few shows presume that the viewer has even the cognitive capacity to turn on the TV to begin with, let alone comprehend complex story arcs and subtle character development.
Who watches TV anymore?

I can't say much about BBC but.

I don't know, personally I think recent drama series (like late 80s 90s and very recent times) are much more hard hitting then the stuff they use to have back like 40 or 50 years ago, the story also has gotten more complex and some of them deal with very contemporary issues, more so then what they use to. I also think what constituted "political correctness" is a moving target. I mean, back in the old days, its all about showing basic family unit with each character play their perspective gender/social roles, with occasional stereotypical social "outcast" thrown in the mix to show that they are for diversity but only perpetuates an over simplification of reality. That's not to say there are no ground breaking TV shows that rise above all that in the old days, just saying that people tend not to remember the media wasteland that was the early Television.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
♪♡
Thanks Seris!
Decoy Goat
25 to life on probation

Member 650

Level 16.06

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 01:54 AM #19 of 26
I want that man to be my crazy grandpa

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
I <3 Cheryl.
DarkLink2135
River Chocobo

Member 5122

Level 24.05

Apr 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 02:13 AM #20 of 26
Could you scream "I'm a virgin" any louder?
If you don't have a penis, you wouldn't understand something like that .

>.>

<.<

More boobs FTW.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Nah, on a serious note, leave that for the internets. TV doesn't need anything like that, especially considering most of the women then put on TV (especially the BBC) *shudders*

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

FGSFDS!!!
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 02:28 AM Local time: May 10, 2007, 02:28 AM #21 of 26
Note to all: Patrick Moore fuckin ownz
YouTube Video

Shiny McShine
Well, heilo there!

Member 460

Level 13.91

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2007, 04:01 PM Local time: May 14, 2007, 02:01 PM #22 of 26
If this guy thinks women are ruining television, he obviously hasn't seen any shows put on by SpikeTV.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2007, 04:18 PM Local time: May 14, 2007, 10:18 PM #23 of 26
The guy seems just old-fashioned to me. I can't speak for the UK, but I am pretty sure men also have "ruined" television. But then, when was television that great?
Well ya know... he is 84. I'm pretty sure you and I will both be pretty old-fashioned if we are lucky enough to live so long. Patrick Moore is a well-known eccentric in this country. It's not as though he's completely insane, but he's definitely marching to the beat of a different drum than everyone else.

With that said, he's a pretty entertaining chap... just not one whose views I am inclined to take onboard and base my own judgements from. He's great fun, and an absolute national treasure, but nobody really pays attention to him, unless he's speaking about Astronomy.

I never watch TV myself anymore. I watch shows which have been on TV, but I either download them or buy the DVD boxed sets. That's got nothing to do with women controlling the airwaves, though. Instead it has everything to do with the masses of crappy programming aimed at both genders, and my extreme irritation with commercial breaks.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Soluzar; May 14, 2007 at 04:22 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Women are ruining TV