Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: I prefer
OST 10 45.45%
OSV 2 9.09%
no preference 10 45.45%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

OST or OSV?

Phoque le PQ
Présentement en ligne

Member 1886

Level 9.65

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 11:28 AM #1 of 15
OST or OSV?

I don't know if you guys noticed, but sometimes, the music in the game (OSV: original sound version) is different from the soudntrack (OST). It first struck me with chrono trigger. Tracks like the brink of time and delightful spekkio (i can't make small excerpts, sorry) sound more... electronic on the OST (and the PSX version), whereas the SNES version's "harp" sounds more realistic with brink. It's also quite obvious with tales of eternia, where the "techno" music (efreet gorge, celestia boss battle) sound different.

So, OSV or OST?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Dubble
The Hero of Mouseton VS The Phantom Blot!

Member 297

Level 32.26

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 11:41 AM Local time: Sep 8, 2006, 10:41 AM #2 of 15
OSV: Original Sound Version is usually just that: Comes directly from the game sound and uses the game instruments.

OST: Original Soundtrack usually can range from select tunes from the game to minor touch ups in notes to make it sound cleaner and less synthetic to all the gamesound tunes just simply crammed on a CD.

Personally for me, its a mix. I like OSV stuff, but if the OST has a better quality and equal amount of tracks, then I'll usually go for that. It just depends really.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 12:16 PM Local time: Sep 8, 2006, 07:16 PM #3 of 15
OSV and OST actually mean the same thing: It's the original soundtrack from a game - no technical difference whatsoever. I don't even recall that there were different soundtrack names for the same game, though. Might have just been a reprint or something. Besides, I think Square was the only company using the term "Original Sound Version" for some of their older game soundtracks.

Dubble here is confusing original soundtracks and game rips, I presume ...

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Dubble
The Hero of Mouseton VS The Phantom Blot!

Member 297

Level 32.26

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 12:18 PM Local time: Sep 8, 2006, 11:18 AM #4 of 15
I probably am. At least, thats how I remember it being told me when I asked ages ago. So I probably am wrong. :P

**stamps a giant red "F" on forehead**

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
niki
Valar Dohaeris

Member 30

Level 41.66

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 03:07 PM Local time: Sep 8, 2006, 10:07 PM #5 of 15
The truth is there's no truth.

OST, OSV SoundTrack, Sound Track, Sound Trax, Music From ... Game albums have been called many things and a global coherencey could never be observed. I guess they just pick what sounds best. As long as it's music from the game, uh?

It's actually quite annoying, 'cause you can end up purchasing some crappy enhanced version when all you wanted were the damn songs you heard while playing the game.

And yeah. I always prefer pure, unaltered game music recordings.

How ya doing, buddy?
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 03:13 PM Local time: Sep 8, 2006, 10:13 PM #6 of 15
Originally Posted by niki
Then the best thing for you would be emulated music, since most commercial video game soundtracks are altered in some way or form from the original source. This only applies to classic consoles, though, since most modern games have synthesized or even orchestrated music.

I wonder if anyone can confirm that there have in fact been both "OSV" and "OST"-titled Square soundtracks. Final Fantasy VI comes to mind, especially since I own the "Original Sound Version" copy. I hear some of their soundtracks have been re-released labelled "OST" because of the merger with Enix.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Rock; Sep 8, 2006 at 03:17 PM.
Megavolt
Seer

Member 1731

Level 14.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 03:16 PM Local time: Sep 8, 2006, 02:16 PM #7 of 15
Originally Posted by niki
Me too.

There isn't much else to say. OST and OSV are the same thing with a different name. "Original" is the key word.

FELIPE NO
~MV
seanne
²°°

Member 69

Level 35.40

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 05:24 PM Local time: Sep 9, 2006, 12:24 AM #8 of 15
Originally Posted by Rock
I wonder if anyone can confirm that there have in fact been both "OSV" and "OST"-titled Square soundtracks. Final Fantasy VI comes to mind, especially since I own the "Original Sound Version" copy. I hear some of their soundtracks have been re-released labelled "OST" because of the merger with Enix.
Square used the "OSV" title for the majority of their pre-PSX original soundtrack releases. This includes FF3-6 and CT for example. From the PSX and on they've used strictly "OST" though. And as far as reprints of Square soundtracks go, they always have identical naming.

Stuff like "OSV", "Music from..." and "All Sounds of..." were used pretty commonly back in the NES and SNES days, but these days prety much all you'll ever see is "OST". I wonder if it's the game company or the publisher who decide these things...

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
niki
Valar Dohaeris

Member 30

Level 41.66

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 05:55 PM Local time: Sep 9, 2006, 12:55 AM #9 of 15
Originally Posted by Rock
Then the best thing for you would be emulated music
That's what I get everytime it's possible.

(Possible as in: available, faithful, functionable)

Jam it back in, in the dark.
eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 09:36 PM Local time: Sep 9, 2006, 09:36 AM #10 of 15
This is pretty interestig question, and also makes me wondering why they give different labelling toward game albums. The term of OSV usually, as Niki said, contains unaltered music from the game, while OST might contains some arranged tracks (like the case of Mother OST).

How ya doing, buddy?
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 02:23 AM Local time: Sep 9, 2006, 12:23 AM #11 of 15
Originally Posted by Phoque le PQ
I don't know if you guys noticed, but sometimes, the music in the game (OSV: original sound version) is different from the soudntrack (OST). It first struck me with chrono trigger. Tracks like the brink of time and delightful spekkio (i can't make small excerpts, sorry) sound more... electronic on the OST (and the PSX version), whereas the SNES version's "harp" sounds more realistic with brink. It's also quite obvious with tales of eternia, where the "techno" music (efreet gorge, celestia boss battle) sound different.
The reason these are different is because the OST contains the arranged versions of tracks used in the cutscenes of the PSX remake of Chrono Trigger in Final Fantasy Chronicles.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Undertale (PC, 2015)
WarpStar
Star of Warps

Member 8059

Level 13.14

Jun 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 02:52 AM #12 of 15
Originally Posted by CHz
The reason these are different is because the OST contains the arranged versions of tracks used in the cutscenes of the PSX remake of Chrono Trigger in Final Fantasy Chronicles.
Actually, they appeared to be referring to the regular in-game tracks selected for the OST, which sound a bit different as well.
That has nothing to do with any technical differences between an "OSV" and an "OST", just the fact that the OST contains music from the PSX version, and the original sound couldn't be reproduced exactly in the port.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 04:05 AM Local time: Sep 9, 2006, 04:05 PM #13 of 15
Originally Posted by CHz
Or maybe because the music in PSX version using different sound driver with better quality? Muzza said the Chrono Trigger in PSX is bit different compared with the SNES version. But I'm not really sure either, because I think the chrono trigger is PSX is emulated, so basically there are not much differences.

How ya doing, buddy?
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.
niki
Valar Dohaeris

Member 30

Level 41.66

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 07:53 AM Local time: Sep 9, 2006, 02:53 PM #14 of 15
Originally Posted by eriol33
Or maybe because the music in PSX version using different sound driver with better quality? Muzza said the Chrono Trigger in PSX is bit different compared with the SNES version. But I'm not really sure either, because I think the chrono trigger is PSX is emulated, so basically there are not much differences.
The PSX version is emulated. Badly. SFC version is by far superior. Same thing for the FF conversions.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Taisai
Amorph

Member 8563

Level 16.22

Jun 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 09:58 AM Local time: Sep 10, 2006, 12:28 AM #15 of 15
Indeed, almost all Play Station portings from SNES as far as I know have lesser sound ( CT, FFV, FFVI, Tales of Phantasia, Tactics Ogre and anymore?). FFVI for PS1 would be the exception, but I guess it was streamed. PS1 has 8 times more memory space, 3 times more channels and higher sampling rate than SNES, but it never means PS1 can sequence SNES music better.

Strictly speaking, CT and other games's music for PS1 were not emulated but sequenced by PS1 synth. If PS1 could emulate or stream SNES music, we would have heard the very same music as SNES. However, PS1 didn't have enough power to even render 2D visuals with fast reading time. So, they couldn't read individual instrumental data from CD-ROM, While SNES could read them from their ROM cartridge immediately.

Well, but, I'm not a game developer. Don't believe me.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > OST or OSV?