Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[DS] My Nintendo DS Fear

Borg1982
One to be born...

Member 31

Level 20.43

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 01:48 PM #26 of 51
Originally Posted by RABicle
Since we are no longer playing on a NES because it's 2006 I don't expect Dragon Quest -Insert huge roman numeral here- to still be stuck with this same, almost unchanged system, despite us having analoge controllers with many times the number of buttons.
You don't fix what is not broken.

How ya doing, buddy?
KnowsNothing
BANANA PHOOOONE

Member 229

Level 9.20

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 02:43 PM #27 of 51
My old 56k modem works just fine, guess I don't need this fancy DSL thinger! Just because something works doesn't mean it shouldn't be improved upon. If everyone followed the way you're interpretting that saying then there'd be no progression at all.

Which is pretty much the case with modern RPGs. The only thing different between them are the characters and the stories, and even those are practically (ALMOST EXACTLY) the same. It's been like this since RPGs hit the market. Almost all of them are the same damn thing. Time for something new.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Borg1982
One to be born...

Member 31

Level 20.43

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 02:59 PM #28 of 51
That analogy does not work because I can just say that DQ8 is a T1 line (which it is to me and to many people).

Non-random battle RPG's are not fun because when I want to venture out into the world I want to venture out into the UNKNOWN and just have my wits and my items to keep me going rather than know where the enemies are before the battle appears. It's not fun to venture into the KNOWN. That's part of the thrill that RPGs should be having. If I want to play a game which the enemies are seen, I will play a video game like Diablo 2 (which I love) or any other action/RPG. Standard RPG's with shown-enemies suck.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Old Mar 4, 2006, 03:26 PM #29 of 51
Originally Posted by Borg1982
That analogy does not work because I can just say that DQ8 is a T1 line (which it is to me and to many people).
What? You need to work on your analogies.

Non-random battle RPG's are not fun .... Standard RPG's with shown-enemies suck.
So you dislike Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana? Are you retarded?

Most amazing jew boots
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Borg1982
One to be born...

Member 31

Level 20.43

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 03:52 PM #30 of 51
Originally Posted by AcerBandit
What? You need to work on your analogies.

So you dislike Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana? Are you retarded?
I don't need to work on anything. The reply to "If it aint broke dont fix it" is not "my 56k modem works fine so theres no point in getting DSL". That is totally not what I was talking about. So "KnowsNothing" needs to work on it.

CT is one of the worst RPG's ive ever played. Haven't tried Mana.

How ya doing, buddy?
Old Mar 4, 2006, 03:57 PM #31 of 51
Haha okay I had to do an ip check to make sure you weren't someone's joke account.

I suppose you hate Earthbound and any of the Mario RPGs as well then. ='D

FELIPE NO
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Geese
WHERE DA BRAAD AT YO?

Member 1403

Level 3.93

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 03:59 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 12:59 PM #32 of 51
Acer Bandit for the KO. B awar that seiken, mArio, saga, tactics, and mmo fans are currently targeting your posts for flamz.

An if ur plyin the DS lookn 4 RPGs of value, ur totally misinterpretting the system and its target audience. DS, as far as geeze can tell, have been action/strategy subclasses of rpgs, if at all. Utilization of dualscreenz is limetteded by teh traditionnal format of rpgs you seem to been sekkin. (Spare maybe Into The Blue and select othurrss)

You missed the train out of nintendarr (an handheldz in general) w/ teh intrest of trad. rpgsz.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
I once stole a pie from a windowsill. I did it to stay alive.
Borg1982
One to be born...

Member 31

Level 20.43

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 04:52 PM #33 of 51
Haha okay I had to do an ip check to make sure you weren't someone's joke account.

My IP and posts are being "checked" all of a sudden just because of my opinion?
I was one of the people that saved GFF by donating one of the large sums of money so don't even begin to think I'm a bad guy here.

The DS is an excellent console. I love Kart and cannot wait for Tetris. I just want the RPG aspect to live up to what the GBA did.

As for Earthbound - haven't tried it but I had a friend in the 90's who played it all day. I have Super Mario RPG and like it. I believe they did great with the enemies that are on the map because it requires me to do more. I feel like im playing a semi-3d mario game and an RPG at the same time. I also like paper mario games. Not such a fan of the gameplay of M&L games though.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 05:11 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 05:11 PM #34 of 51
You have a terrible opinion, so it's natural that we assume you're not serious. Also your sig is terrible. I don't think there could be anything more incidental than your selection of quotes.

In any case, comparing Dragon Quest VIII to a T1 line isn't too far off, I suppose, assuming that the Dragon Quest combat system is the transfer of data through packets as opposed to some other heathen method of data transmission.

"If it ain't broke don't fix it" is a very fitting adage, because fanbases don't want their favorite franchises to make drastic changes. They become accustomed to how certain things are done, and any deviation from that is viewed with criticism. While this may seem petty, I can't think of any example of an RPG franchise drastically changing its combat system in a way that was superior to its predecessor.

Games like Dragon Quest don't change, and really shouldn't change, because the target audience of an established franchise should always be the established fanbase. Any deviation from that school of thought invites disaster.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Borg1982
One to be born...

Member 31

Level 20.43

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 05:31 PM #35 of 51
Originally Posted by Bradylama
You have a terrible opinion, so it's natural that we assume you're not serious. Also your sig is terrible. I don't think there could be anything more incidental than your selection of quotes.

In any case, comparing Dragon Quest VIII to a T1 line isn't too far off, I suppose, assuming that the Dragon Quest combat system is the transfer of data through packets as opposed to some other heathen method of data transmission.

"If it ain't broke don't fix it" is a very fitting adage, because fanbases don't want their favorite franchises to make drastic changes. They become accustomed to how certain things are done, and any deviation from that is viewed with criticism. While this may seem petty, I can't think of any example of an RPG franchise drastically changing its combat system in a way that was superior to its predecessor.

Games like Dragon Quest don't change, and really shouldn't change, because the target audience of an established franchise should always be the established fanbase. Any deviation from that school of thought invites disaster.
Don't you remember the CT opinion thread before GFF went down? There were a few people in there arguing that CT is one of the worst RPGs ever. CelticWhisper gave it a 1/10. I explained as much as I could why I dislike CT, while Celtic fully explained in every way why he hates CT. So it is incorrect to say that I am not serious with my opinion because I think CT sucks. You are just saying that because you cannot accept anyone disliking it. You probably cannot comprehend anyone disliking it. (I, perhaps, cannot comprehend anyone hating FF4).

And my sig sucks? What business is that of yours? It's just a quote from Shining Force CD showing the true evil of some bosses in the game. Who cares what my sig is but me?

As for the 56k modem / T1 line garbage. I didn't originally bring it up. I think it's stupid to make analogies like that anyway, so let's just change the subject. I simply replied back with the point that DQ8 is a really really good game. That was my point. And that is my opinion.

And your final thoughts are correct.

Last edited by Borg1982; Mar 4, 2006 at 05:33 PM.
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 05:40 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 05:40 PM #36 of 51
I'm sorry, it is imperically impossible for Chrono Trigger to be the worst RPG ever. Even assuming you didn't like the gameplay, there are other aspects of game design like story, art, and production values that add to the overall atmosphere of a game.

Quote:
The turn based battle system was invented because they couldn't simulate any kind of meaningful battle with a crosspad and two buttons.
Actually, the turn-based battle system was invented because people didn't feel pathetic enough to LARP. It's the only way you can allow complete roleplaying control without actually making a fool of yourself in public, and to a certain extent, provides even greater control than LARPing, since all aspects of a character's abilities are determined by the player, spreadsheet, and the die.

Turn-based combat isn't the problem with RPGs, far from it. The problem is that most people don't view RPGs as anything more than spreadsheets with linear storytelling. An innovative console RPG would be something that actually allows a player to choose his role in a gameworld beyond what is chosen for him. That is the one thing that hasn't been taken advantage of when it comes to new hardware, is the ability to create open-ended gameworlds where a player is given choice.

Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 06:12 PM #37 of 51

If you think he's a joke account, at least he's consistent.

He's always been this stupid!

I was speaking idiomatically.
Borg1982
One to be born...

Member 31

Level 20.43

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 06:22 PM #38 of 51
Originally Posted by Merv Burger
If you think he's a joke account, at least he's consistent.

He's always been this stupid!
Aww.. no one out there can accept that a few people out there dislike CT.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 06:37 PM #39 of 51
No, I could care less whether you like CT or not. In all honesty, I haven't even played through it.

I'm saying you're stupid because every word out of your mouth is stupid, regardless of any meaning or opinion attached to them.

FELIPE NO
Borg1982
One to be born...

Member 31

Level 20.43

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 07:04 PM #40 of 51
"Flaming is the act of posting messages that are deliberately hostile and insulting, usually in the social context of a discussion board".

... so clearly you have a lot of growing up to do, unless you go back on the main topic of video games, and quote what I have said in this thread and tell me why my points are bad ones.

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 07:22 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 10:22 AM #41 of 51
Non-random battle RPG's are not fun because when I want to venture out into the world I want to venture out into the UNKNOWN and just have my wits and my items to keep me going rather than know where the enemies are before the battle appears. It's not fun to venture into the KNOWN. That's part of the thrill that RPGs should be having. If I want to play a game which the enemies are seen, I will play a video game like Diablo 2 (which I love) or any other action/RPG. Standard RPG's with shown-enemies suck.
Well really, all the random battles are doing is keeping you from exploring the UNKNOWN. You get to a brand new section, the same purple blobs or radioactive ants attack you every single time you dare to take a footstep. Complete with the background that never changes. You might have been near a waterfall, with some flowers and trees, exploring! But no, here come the enemies, and now all of a sudden you're standing in the middle of nowhere.

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 07:42 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 03:42 AM #42 of 51
Originally Posted by Bradylama
While this may seem petty, I can't think of any example of an RPG franchise drastically changing its combat system in a way that was superior to its predecessor.
I can really only think of the Breath of Fire V, which, while being a not so great game experience, had an excellent combat system, completely different from the previous titles (the whole game structure and design was drastically changed as well).

Naturally, virtually every single BoF fan despised it even though it was a far better game and a brave attempt especially from a company like Capcom.

Originally Posted by Infernal Monkey
Well really, all the random battles are doing is keeping you from exploring the UNKNOWN. You get to a brand new section, the same purple blobs or radioactive ants attack you every single time you dare to take a footstep. Complete with the background that never changes. You might have been near a waterfall, with some flowers and trees, exploring! But no, here come the enemies, and now all of a sudden you're standing in the middle of nowhere.
And the poisonous weeds, don't forget the poisonous weeds (or spiders)!
Why a piece of seaweed would ever have poison, much less move and attack heavily armed strangers passing by in the first place is beyond me, but they anyway ALWAYS get at least one attack in before you kill them even at much higher levels so you always get at least one character poisoned from every fight.

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Mar 4, 2006 at 07:51 PM.
Borg1982
One to be born...

Member 31

Level 20.43

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 07:54 PM #43 of 51
Originally Posted by Infernal Monkey
I like going into the unknown of when, how, and where a battle is going to come, and what that battle is going to be and who the monsters in the battle are going to be.

I could care less about going into the unknown of the "sights and sounds" of the ahead because it is just all fake video game graphics.

So i was trying to make a point about enemies and battling, but I get why you thought I meant the "unknown" of whats ahead in the graphical aspects of a game.

Graphics = least important thing to me, ever.

Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 08:19 PM #44 of 51
"Flaming is the act of posting messages that are deliberately hostile and insulting, usually in the social context of a discussion board".
Thanks for completely unnecessary definition of "flaming." I'm well aware of what it is, and I'm aware of the fact that I'm doing. In fact, I'm almost intentionally doing it! I bet you never figured that out!

Quote:
... so clearly you have a lot of growing up to do, unless you go back on the main topic of video games, and quote what I have said in this thread and tell me why my points are bad ones.
Clearly you have a lot of SHUTTING THE FUCK UP to do. I'm skipping the bullshit of refuting your "points" and just calling you an idiot flat-out.

Besides, it's been long on the downward spiral, so why bother.

Last edited by Little Shithead; Mar 4, 2006 at 08:21 PM.
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 08:22 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 11:22 AM #45 of 51
Originally Posted by Qwarky
And the poisonous weeds, don't forget the poisonous weeds (or spiders)!
Why a piece of seaweed would ever have poison, much less move and attack heavily armed strangers passing by in the first place is beyond me, but they anyway ALWAYS get at least one attack in before you kill them even at much higher levels so you always get at least one character poisoned from every fight.
Haha, maybe the seaweed just came back from the doctor, who explained the reason he was feeling sick was because he has some terrible disease! But it can be cured with an injection, except that he realizes he's dealing with a piece of seaweed, and the needle would just go straight through him. So Mr. Poison Seaweed heads back home, which for some reason might be a mountain or desert. Depressed, he decides to end his life.

But much to his delight, four random people dressed in elephant sized suits of armour appear (except for the two females, who are in bikinis). He knows he won't stand a chance, and steps in front of them.

"WHOA! WATCH OUT! SEAWEED! IT'S GLOWING, TOO, POISON!"

But it's too late! Mr. Seaweed has already coughed on one of the party members, and now they too glow.

"NOOOOOOOO! YOU'RE GONNA PAY FOR THAT, DEMON FROM HELL!"
"Oh but I'm just a heap of seawe-AUUGH"

There's a blinding flash, he's dead. And in an ironic twist, Mr. Seaweed drops a big bottle of potion to cure any poison effects as he fades away.

I like going into the unknown of when, how, and where a battle is going to come, and what that battle is going to be and who the monsters in the battle are going to be.

I could care less about going into the unknown of the "sights and sounds" of the ahead because it is just all fake video game graphics.

So i was trying to make a point about enemies and battling, but I get why you thought I meant the "unknown" of whats ahead in the graphical aspects of a game.

Graphics = least important thing to me, ever.
Oh. Well, okay. Fair enough. Personally, I slog through RPGs for their story and worlds. Graphics and such. The turn based battles often bore me to tears. Especially when I'm trying to get to a save point so I can turn the game off, and there's about fifty random encounters on my way there.
Super RPG 4000 features over fourty hours of selecting the attack command!

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Infernal Monkey; Mar 4, 2006 at 08:25 PM.
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 08:31 PM #46 of 51
So, discuss. What is your take on Nintendo's future direction and your take on different game genres for Nintendo systems?
I think the DS has a ton of potential for most genres. You can do a real lot with a touch pad. Since we're all talking about RPGs, the stylus can be used to select commands and stuff, which speeds up the process. Maybe they can work in some sort of seal system like in CV: Dawn of Sorrow, where you need to draw magic seals to cast spells.

In regards to Nintendo's future direction, I think it's the right direction. It's the direction they always go in, and it's the direction that has consistently worked throughout the years. Innovate, get copied, repeat.

Also, I loved Chrono Trigger.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 01:36 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 01:36 PM #47 of 51
As an addendum, when I was talking about Turn-Based combat, I was referring more to combat taking place on a tactical grid. The whole I-attack You-attack thing is something RPGs can do without.

How ya doing, buddy?
shadowlink56
Wii came, We saw, Wii kicked our ASS!

Member 2235

Level 20.07

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 07:28 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 06:28 AM #48 of 51
Borg, you skipped over a major handheld that has a TON of RPGs on it that is also playable on the DS, and that is Gameboy Advance.
I tend to think that RPGs are more bang for your buck because they take longer to complete in most cases (if you thoroughly complete it with sidequests and what-not) and they take game developers longer to create.
You also have to keep gamers interested storywise while potentially having large gaps in between story sequences when players level up, shop, etc. Battles should also be innovative and not limited to the same old formula, even if it worked flawlessly in the last incarnation. There is always room for improvement or creativity. Still, this can be a very difficult balance to attain.

Borg1982
One to be born...

Member 31

Level 20.43

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 02:03 PM #49 of 51
I mentioned GBA in the very first post for being so good with RPGs.

shadowlink56
Wii came, We saw, Wii kicked our ASS!

Member 2235

Level 20.07

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 05:35 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 04:35 PM #50 of 51
I mentioned GBA in the very first post for being so good with RPGs.
It doesn't mar the fact that you basically skipped over it's titles by only giving it a mention. It literally brings DS' RPG library to near NES levels!
Still, I agree with you about DS needing more RPGs. The innovations in the genre that could be done using the dual screens is provocative, and yet unsuccessfully tapped.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [DS] My Nintendo DS Fear