Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Magi’s art thread April
Closed Thread

Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 07:22 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 05:22 PM #1 of 24
Magi’s art thread April

Image Indexs
Click for larger image

Most of the links and images in my older thread are now dead because I just restructured my website. So instead of going back and fixing each individual links and images, I think its better to start something new.

Some Updates

I have been working on some three dimensional stuff of late. Mostly it has something to do with my obsession with Ace Combat 4 and fascination with fighter jets in general. For the last couple of months I have been working on and off on this Model of F22 Raptor.
http://www.studiomagi.com/megalith/mobius_1.jpg
As for today, I am working on the details in the landing gears. I am not sure how relavent it would be though, lol.
http://www.studiomagi.com/megalith/f22_nose_gear.jpg

Starting yesterday, I have started working on the model of the opposing force, the Yellow Squadron Flankers. Although I haven’t been looking into distinguish between them so much as of yet. This is the second build; it should look a little better now.
Click for older version
http://www.studiomagi.com/megalith/su35b.jpg
If I remember correctly, yellow squadron is suppose to be made up of Su 27s, but the one I use as reference is Su 35. >.> ;;

Originally I build the entire fuselage with only mesh. It turns out to be quite unmanageable, so I end up edge modeling the entire backside over. I am not done with the bottom side yet.

Interestly, I think that there is a lot in common between Flankers and F16, at least in terms of the shapes of their fuselage. Even though Flanker has wider and flatten back and bigger "bulge", kinda.

I am working on a fan film of the Ace Combat 4, to recreate the last mission, Megalith. I am looking for comments and critique on this one.

Just for fun, I made a small video of the two jet flying. It’s pretty much just for practice. I called it Aerial Waltz. The plane themselves are not rigged yet, so none of the component can move. I think the planes collided in mid air at least twice in this sequence.

Click for Video

http://www.studiomagi.com/megalith/waltz_link.jpg

I am also building and compiling a three dimensional object library for sharing and future projects. Those are objects that are less specific for project, bur rather done for the sake of practice. Everyday objects, however, once I make enough of different type of objects, I could just bring them up later in different projects. Any ideas?
http://www.studiomagi.com/temp/firetruck.jpg

http://www.studiomagi.com/doodle/2_03d.jpg
This is a work in progress to the comic that I was working on, something new, at least.

I haven’t been too productive lately. This is done entirely on the computer now, and its taking much longer then I would otherwise work on the line arts.
http://www.studiomagi.com/doodle/2_03a.jpg
http://www.studiomagi.com/doodle/2_03b.jpg
As an unfinished page, I have put in about 2 hours 25 minutes so far, if I were drawing this in real life, I would have been finished already. Re-juggling some of the poses and character design a bit, and strengthen the line quality.
http://www.studiomagi.com/doodle/2_03c.jpg
Chapter two is different from the first in that I actually planed out the pages panel by panel in writing, and there are specific objective that I put down in each page to accomplish. I end up 7 small panels in this one. Most of the penal are in the same shape, and the characters are more or less in portrait frame, which is bad, bad, bad. The size of the panel will restrict the type of discernable details that can be included in the thread, but also the type of the shot that can be included. Although I haven’t been prioritizing very well, I am going to try to be more flexible in the planning after this page.

I am experimenting with the narrative starting with this chapter, and this page, specifically. Even though it is not quite done yet, I am looking for some critique in this page. If there are any questions, feel free to ask too.

Again, comments and Criticism are welcome, but I also want to have discussion about arts, art process, and current trends and ideas if possible.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
♪♡
Thanks Seris!

Last edited by Magi; Apr 20, 2006 at 02:46 AM.
Vulpes_Callidus
Honor of Blight

Member 946

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 07:04 AM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 05:04 AM #2 of 24
uh...

Maybe... work on the camera in your Aerial Waltz. I'm assuming you just linked the camera target to the fighter which is why it follows it like that, which is ok, but lacks a bit of cinematography finesse.

I'm sure you mentioned it before, but what 3d program are you using?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 07:00 PM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 05:00 PM #3 of 24
Any recommandation on how I should improve the arrangement of Camera? Like what type of shot I need to take, etc. Please elaborate "cinematography finesse".

I am using a small freeware program called the Anim8or. There are some rendering are done using a different program called Carrara Basic.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
♪♡
Thanks Seris!
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:43 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 09:43 PM #4 of 24
I am thinking about making some sort of mechanical design to do in Anim8or. Some sort of futuristic aerial transport, I think, would be interesting. One of the requirements for such design is V/STAL. V/STAL stands for Vertical/Short Takeoff and Landing. Most of the conventional design today is using two engines balanced on the side that would able to be turn vertically and then turn from hover mode in flight. One of the later concept would be the use of Hyper Sonic RAM jets, which burns oxygen by compressing the air into the engine with a fuel mixture at super sonic speed, if I understand it correctly (probably not). Some of the design concept to consider:
1.Lifting body that incorporates the variable e propulsion design.
2.Organic composite structure and variable geometries
3.V/STAL with Hypersonic capabilities.
This is a design done as part of a continuity of a story that I was working on. It’s about a near future world in which several different organization clashes in different aspect due to economic, social, political interest’s base on their different ideological beliefs.

So this is what I have come up with:

and then I start the process of modeling.

That's about it for today. I have done some other sketches, but probably won't have much to do otherwise. At least my tablet isn't jumping around anymore, I think.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
♪♡
Thanks Seris!
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 12:24 AM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 10:24 PM #5 of 24

A slight update on the panel. redlining some of the changes that I'll need to make. My tablet is freaking on me. ;_;

I was speaking idiomatically.
♪♡
Thanks Seris!
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 08:13 PM Local time: Apr 9, 2006, 06:13 PM #6 of 24

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
♪♡
Thanks Seris!
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 09:54 PM Local time: Apr 10, 2006, 10:54 AM #7 of 24
dude, did you make this using just your tablet? or did you make a sketch, scan, and work on it?

FELIPE NO
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 10:32 PM Local time: Apr 9, 2006, 08:32 PM #8 of 24
Just the tablet.

With exception of the high speed transport sketch, I haven't post any paper drawing in this thread yet.

Edit:
Well, here is another, its better then a lot of the fan art that I use to make of them at least.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
♪♡
Thanks Seris!

Last edited by Magi; Apr 9, 2006 at 11:08 PM.
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 11:56 PM Local time: Apr 10, 2006, 12:56 PM #9 of 24
oh.. man, isn't that a pain to work on? I mean, I know artists who make digital art, but they draw a sketch then scan it and render digitally. That's in the comics biz. Though I heard some who draw using only their tablets, but they're mostly manga/anime.

Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2006, 12:09 AM Local time: Apr 9, 2006, 10:09 PM #10 of 24
If you have the right type of the software/tablet combo, its possible to produce all kind of artwork just on the computer, since it takes out two significant step of the production process, namely the scanning, and clean up digitally, other people skip sketching right to painting.
Like this type of practice

However, that doesn't mean traditional drawing is out of picture at all. It would take a lot of practice to get comfortable drawing with the tablet, secondly, it is actually very different process when you are drawing on the tablet and on real papers. However, there are some advantages to both, so it paid to be flexible I think, so I am trying to get proficient on both.

Most of the people that I know who produce art mainly using tablet tend to be conceptual artist for games and movies. I actually don't know any professional Japanese comic book artist that produce strictly digitally though.

♪♡
Thanks Seris!
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 12:33 AM Local time: Apr 14, 2006, 10:33 PM #11 of 24
I am trying something a little experimental. See if I can pull this one off. Little Rain AZ is a experiment on a long form, continues formated comic. About a bunch of friends who live in a very hot place. Probably something that only webcomic would be able to do.

Little Rain AZ

Its at a time like this, I question the wisdom to live in a city that is located in the middle of a desert. Its HOT, I'll give them that.

What is it now? 95? 100? No, it's got to be 110 for sure. Sheesh. I thought there use to be a shade here... its not like that's going to help. (much)

.... work in progress.

Comments? Questions? Criticisms? All welcome.

♪♡
Thanks Seris!
elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 01:18 AM Local time: Apr 15, 2006, 01:18 AM #12 of 24
I really like the blurry effect in your Little Rain AZ pictures. It really helps with conveying a sense of sweltering heat!

How ya doing, buddy?
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 11:32 PM Local time: Apr 15, 2006, 09:32 PM #13 of 24
Hey, thanks for the compliment.

Here is a image that came up in my mind when I was riding my bike. The idea is a long legged girl on some sort of transport. I kinda just want to draw pretty long legs. Its suppose to be "monster girls" not "moster", but I guess it would more more original, eh?

Mobius One
X

Member 2171

Level 19.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 17, 2006, 12:18 AM Local time: Apr 17, 2006, 01:18 AM #14 of 24
Hi Magi. I know yo like constructive criticism so here it is:

Great F-22 model so far, but it still needs some tweaking.

Your Su-35 also looks a little off. The angle of sweep on the wings seems a little much. They need to be angled forward a bit more so that the wingspan widens a bit. Other than that, great job and keep up the good work! I can't wait to see what this thing will look like!

You'll probably have a hard time modelling Megalith since there are very few images of it the structure itself. I have a few pieces of Megalith art from AC04 that may or may not be of some help to you:

You'll probably just have to play Free Mission a bunch and fly around Megalith to get the details. You may have to take some liberties with the dimensions as well.

Here's some images that you can make textures out of for the emblems on the Mobius aircraft:

Those are the best Mobius squadron emblems I could find. Though they are a little innaccurate, it won't really be noticable as a texture on the tail. That ISAF wallpaper is great for manipulation because the solid color makes it easy to edit.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

[ MOBIUS ]

Last edited by Mobius One; Apr 17, 2006 at 12:21 AM.
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 02:42 AM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 12:42 AM #15 of 24
Whoa, that's as constructive as it gets, and most constructive critique that I had recived for a while. Thank you so much. Its nice to get advice from trained eyes, actually.

Switching between stuff, I did a Storm Trooper drawing and this while I was at comic book shop today. It was kinda fun, it was a pretty quick one. Sorta of a Hyung-Tae Kim~esque porportion. >.> I gave the storm trooper one away though.

Most amazing jew boots
Clon
Rousteinire™

Member 2435

Level 5.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 02:52 AM Local time: Apr 19, 2006, 11:52 PM #16 of 24
I hope one day my drawing of human anatomy would be great as yours T_T
The "Monster Girl" is a really cool idea and design. O.o Also I really like the realistic drawing of the old gentleman, very nice.

Come visit my DA page
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 03:04 AM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 01:04 AM #17 of 24
Hey, thank you for the comments. Although I think I really still have a lot to learn about drawing humen. The old dude is a speed paint based on the god father photo I found somewhere. It has a really strong lighting and black background that are just perfect for practicing characteristics of the face.

Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 03:34 AM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 04:34 PM #18 of 24
Hm, that's a pretty good Storm Trooper (what's a storm trooper?). So anyhue, I can't really comment on proportions and stuff since as far as I can see, you revolve around the "anime" genre, where proportions aren't really as strict as compared to other "styles"... or something. I think you know what I mean, right? Good.

There's this one thing I noticed though, don't you think she lacks the top of her head?

Oh, and I see you're using lighter skin tones! Cool! They look much better with lighter skin tones.

UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 03:40 AM #19 of 24
Really outstanding work, magi. Always wanted to say that to you. I'm a big fan of constructive criticism but it escapes me at the moment. Keep drawing!

The Hyung-tae inspired piece is great. You captured his love for the voluptuous woman. She's really buff, but thats what you were going for, I think. The anatomy all checks out though.

You should make a banner for your site so I can link to it on my blog with all the other art sites.

Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 07:44 AM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 05:44 AM #20 of 24
Hey Ultima, thanks for the comments. Kim Hyung-Tae is really off in a league of his own though. Or shall I said a world of his own? Most of his females has really prominent hips, interestingly pair with a body type that you wouldn't expect to see it. I am big fan of some of his work though, most of his character design work is pretty exceptional laced with intricate details and design elements, something to strive for, at least.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Magi; Apr 20, 2006 at 08:55 AM.
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 04:31 PM #21 of 24
Originally Posted by a_mage
Hey Ultima, thanks for the comments. Kim Hyung-Tae is really off in a league of his own though. Or shall I said a world of his own? Most of his females has really prominent hips, interestingly pair with a body type that you wouldn't expect to see it. I am big fan of some of his work though, most of his character design work is pretty exceptional laced with intricate details and design elements, something to strive for, at least.
He's an artistic genius. I have some of his artbooks and his work is ridiculously detailed. He does all of his work digitally, mostly using Painter. If one were to ever reach a level like he has, you're set, they could easily get any sort of art job. But you're right, he's certainly something to strive for.

Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 11:20 AM Local time: Apr 22, 2006, 09:20 AM #22 of 24
Just another sketch concept to model type of deal.

A conceptual design of the (fictional, at least) Aurora Alpha Hypersonic High flying Long Range Strategic Bomber.

The concept design is kinda based on the SR71, but it should be much larger.

sketchy model.

How ya doing, buddy?
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 03:53 PM #23 of 24
I can't believe I didn't post here yet.
Your artwork still remains one of my favorite styles here. All you work looks great, especially your storm trooper one. I'd like to see it when you've colored it. I'm not sure if it was on your site though.

FELIPE NO

New Record!
Mobius One
X

Member 2171

Level 19.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 05:21 PM Local time: Apr 25, 2006, 06:21 PM #24 of 24
That's a really cool aircraft Magi. It looks sorta like the Blackbird from the X-men movies. Have you played Ace Combat 3? It features some really cool futuristic fictional aircraft. Here's an AC3 video I made for kicks and giggles:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...combat&pl=true

One of my favortie things to do durring class is doodle aircraft designs. Keep it up, I wanna see more!

[ MOBIUS ]

Last edited by Mobius One; Apr 25, 2006 at 05:25 PM.
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe > Magi’s art thread April