Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] What MMORPGs have you played or are playing now?

DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2007, 11:51 PM #1 of 36
What MMORPGs have you played or are playing now?

Just curious what games people here have played and why. I just recently got a SOE Station Pass so I can check out the changes that have been made to EQ, EQ2, SWG, and MxO since I last played them.

Honestly I've played so many of these it's not funny. FFXI, CoH/CoV, Dark Age of Camelot, and WoW on top of the ones I listed above. The only major ones I can think of that I never played are Lineage and Ultima Online.

Honestly it's amazing how bad some these mess up. SWG for example, with a franchise like Star Wars that thing should sell like hotcakes but the devs screwed the game up. Another game that's baffled me is Matrix Online, that series is about a virtual world. That kind of setting should be practically perfect for an MMO but they screwed it up.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

"Out thought and out fought."
subnet_rx
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 17874

Level 1.34

Jan 2007

Old Jan 6, 2007, 11:02 AM Local time: Jan 6, 2007, 10:02 AM #2 of 36
I used to play SWG and still get the newsletters. They apparently have significantly changed that game since it came out. At one point, they had erased everyone's account because they couldn't keep their characters with all the changes they had made. I'm not sure I'd ever trust Sony again.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Parn
Tune in... Turn on... Drop out!

Member 2802

Level 10.62

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2007, 12:12 PM Local time: Jan 6, 2007, 12:12 PM #3 of 36
Ultima Online was where it all started for me. From there, Phantasy Star Online, Ragnarok Online, Anarchy Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Final Fantasy XI, Everquest 2, Star Wars Galaxies, EVE Online, and World of Warcraft have all gotten some playtime from yours truly. Ultima Online, Phantasy Star Online, and Final Fantasy XI have the lion's share of playtime to date. Phantasy Star Universe is my current online gaming obsession, and I'll be sticking to it for awhile, at least until the next two big MMO's debut from Square Enix and Bioware.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Blackout
I can't see!

Member 17699

Level 1.02

Jan 2007

Old Jan 6, 2007, 01:21 PM Local time: Jan 6, 2007, 11:21 AM #4 of 36
It all started with Ultima Online for me, a friend was playing it one day and when i went over I asked him what the heck he was doing, cause i hadn;t heard of it yet. but then i got into it.. and mmorpgs in general

others i played Were DAoC for about 2 years (still get on here and there), Shadowbane SWG, Final Fantasy XI, World of Warcraft, City of Villians, and Guild Wars. I did try Asheron's Call and EVE but i didn't play them long enough to consider them "played"

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2007, 01:40 PM #5 of 36
At one point, they had erased everyone's account because they couldn't keep their characters with all the changes they had made.
That's actually not true. If you log in with an older character you have to pick one of the new classes and it starts you at a level based off of how much you had achieved under the old system. The main reason some of the vets are still sticking around is because they have gear that's better then anything you can get now. Last time I played it, it seemed like they were trying to make it like a combination of Battlefront 2 and WoW.

Phantasy Star Universe is my current online gaming obsession, and I'll be sticking to it for awhile, at least until the next two big MMO's debut from Square Enix and Bioware.
I forgot to mention that one. I got sick of building up meseta, buying a A rank weapon, being broke, and repeating.

Personally I'm waiting to check out Age of Conan now.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by DarkMageOzzie; Jan 6, 2007 at 01:42 PM.
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2007, 03:10 PM Local time: Jan 6, 2007, 01:10 PM #6 of 36
Priston Tale and Guild Wars.

Most amazing jew boots
Kimchi
Sup GFF faggots, who can't handle shit?

Member 552

Level 27.62

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2007, 09:40 AM #7 of 36
Honestly I've played so many of these it's not funny. FFXI, CoH/CoV, Dark Age of Camelot, and WoW on top of the ones I listed above. The only major ones I can think of that I never played are Lineage and Ultima Online.
Wow, you have played so many major ones and its not even funny? You aren't the only one who played more than little 6 mmorpgs.

Honestly, I can name off atleast 20 "major" mmorpg right now. Of course, all of those games you just named off is merely P2P.

Quote:
Matrix Online, that series is about a virtual world. That kind of setting should be practically perfect for an MMO but they screwed it up.

No, the setting wouldn't be perfect for mmo. Why? Let's just face it, Matrix movie it self wasn't about "Virtual reality" it was coming out from virtual world.

If you want to play some "virtual reality" go and play Sims or second life.

Honestly, do you really want people's list when you played "most" of major MMORPGs that are out? Fine have fun looking through these games.

Kingdom Of Wind
Zera
Neo Dark Saver
MapleStory
LineageII
Ragnarök Online
Holy Beast
Trickster
Mabinobi
Tales Weaver
Granado Espada
S.E.A.L Online

FELIPE NO
Graffiacane
Ergodic wannabe

Member 2114

Level 8.35

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2007, 09:48 AM Local time: Jan 7, 2007, 11:48 AM #8 of 36
I haven't played many different games...I started with Ultima Online and still play it sometimes. I've only heard about other titles, but UO seems to be one of the most versatile games of the genre. The shards (servers) can have an uncountable number of custom scripts and maps, making it possible to change almost any of UO's mechanics. It's truly my favorite MMORPG, and it's enough for me.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2007, 01:02 PM #9 of 36
I've been waiting for an english version of thsi game for so long. It got SO CLOSE once, a company paid for the rights, put up an english page and EVERYTHING, then dropped the game.

I nearly cried ;_;

Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2007, 02:57 PM #10 of 36
I played Matrix Online when it was in beta.

Then I played World of Warcraft for a bit. I might pick it up again but I'm not sure. The lag and login queues will probably get even worse once the expansion is out.

DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2007, 03:02 PM #11 of 36
You aren't the only one who played more than little 6 mmorpgs.
I never said I was, but there are people who would be surprised that someone has played that many. Alot of people refuse to leave the first MMO they play and try anything else. That's the major reason WoW has such a huge playerbase still.

No, the setting wouldn't be perfect for mmo. Why? Let's just face it, Matrix movie it self wasn't about "Virtual reality" it was coming out from virtual world.

If you want to play some "virtual reality" go and play Sims or second life.
Yeah but everything important that happens in the Matrix movies for the most part actually happens in the Matrix. The only way to free others from the Matrix is from inside the Matrix and the mmo only takes place inside the Matrix. Also, I have never understood why anyone likes the Sims. Ooooo I can make people walk around in a house!

Kingdom Of Wind
Zera
Neo Dark Saver
MapleStory
LineageII
Ragnarök Online
Holy Beast
Trickster
Mabinobi
Tales Weaver
Granado Espada
S.E.A.L Online
Out of those, I have heard of Kingdom of Wind, MapleStory, LineageII, and Ragnarok Online. Haven't played LineageII cause I heard it's absurdly boring and haven't played the others because I've heard well.. nothing about them.

Grawl
WHAT IF I HAD DIED?!

Member 39

Level 34.06

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2007, 03:16 PM Local time: Jan 7, 2007, 10:16 PM #12 of 36
MapleStory
Lineage II
Ragnarok Online
Trickster
World of Warcraft
Guild Wars
Vanguard

Possibly more, I get bored very easily.

Kimchi

Member 552

Level 27.62

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2007, 04:16 PM #13 of 36
Quote:
Alot of people refuse to leave the first MMO they play and try anything else.
That's complete bullshit. They refuse to leave their first MMO and play something else? Tell me, please tell me why people are always looking for sequel? Please do, because you are saying a lot of people are refusing to let it go.

Quote:
that's the major reason WoW has such a huge playerbase still.
First of all, I am SURE more than half of players in WoW are around 16+. And WoW is their first MMO? Most unlikely. Why do you think Blizzard targeted S.Korea, Canada and U.S for beta testing? Mind telling me that?

No need to answer it, because they know in those three countries they have their beloved fans looking forward to their latest game.

Wow Has a huge playerbase? Talk after you check some stuff out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maplestory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lineage_II

Quote:
Out of those, I have heard of Kingdom of Wind, MapleStory, LineageII, and Ragnarok Online. Haven't played LineageII cause I heard it's absurdly boring and haven't played the others because I've heard well.. nothing about them.
You haven't played LineageII because you heard its boring? Wow, who did you hear that from? Its like cocaine in Asia.

Well the reason you haven't heard about them is because they are not released in English.

The ones that are listed are fairly well-known F2P.

Quote:
Yeah but everything important that happens in the Matrix movies for the most part actually happens in the Matrix. The only way to free others from the Matrix is from inside the Matrix and the mmo only takes place inside the Matrix. Also, I have never understood why anyone likes the Sims. Ooooo I can make people walk around in a house!
You never understood why anyone likes Sims because you are so closed minded.

Mind telling me why people like WoW? "Oooo I can make my character level up! Oh wow! I can attack!" No, obviously that isn't the reason. There are hundreds of reason for everyone why they are playing.

G'day.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Kimchi; Jan 7, 2007 at 04:29 PM.
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2007, 05:15 PM #14 of 36
I'm an MMORPG guy. I play them more than any other kind of game. The ones I can remember off the top of my head are:

Final Fantasy XI (I still go back to this often)
Ragnarok Online (Played for years, retired)
ROSE Online
World of Warcraft (Still subscribed)
Lineage II
MicMac Online (Still love this)
RF Online
Mabinogi
Phantasy Star Online (Played for a while on GCN)
EVE Online (Was fun for the first few weeks, stopped after that)

I'm positive though that there's at least 2-3 more whose names are just escaping me.

Also, NaYa NuhYa, you've played Granado Espada? I'm dying to play it but its closed beta or P2P wherever I go. It's depressing.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
JackyBoy
A Cinnamon Role?

Member 2219

Level 13.14

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2007, 07:56 PM #15 of 36
This is my favourite genre of games to play these days. I started on UO but EverQuest is what really got me hooked on MMORPG's. I have played the following, EverQuest being my favourite of the bunch.

EverQuest
EverQuest II
Dark Age of Camelot
Anarchy Online
Ultima Online

Diablo
Diablo II
Guild Wars: Factions
I include these even though I don't consider them to fall under the scope of true MMORPG's.

My next MMORPG will likely be Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. My current EQ2 guild I've been with since Everquest is moving over so I'll join them shortly after release.

FELIPE NO

You're staring at me like I just asked you what the fucking square root of something.
DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2007, 08:05 PM #16 of 36
Quote:
That's complete bullshit. They refuse to leave their first MMO and play something else? Tell me, please tell me why people are always looking for sequel? Please do, because you are saying a lot of people are refusing to let it go.
I have talked to countless people in both FFXI and WoW that say it was their first MMO. I very rarely remember talking to people who had actually played a MMORPG previously. This is because both these games are based off of popular games so it brings in people who never have played an MMO before including people who were adamant about how they would never play a pay to play game. Many of these people that I talked to were still playing when I quit inspite of complaints they had about the game because they didn't seem to understand there are other MMOs out there that might not have those problems.

I have a friend who has a bunch of friends who including him all played FFXI because it was Final Fantasy. I tried to get him to try other better things but he insisted on how the 3 hour wait for a group just required patience. Even though his friends all still play, he finally quit when he's played since the game came out. He still refuses to try anything else but part of the reason he refused to quit for the longest time was because he had put too much time into his character to let it go, this happens to alot of people in these games. When you get max level and all this uber gear you don't want to just up and quit the game. But I guess that's just all bullshit because you say it is right?

Quote:
First of all, I am SURE more than half of players in WoW are around 16+. And WoW is their first MMO? Most unlikely. Why do you think Blizzard targeted S.Korea, Canada and U.S for beta testing? Mind telling me that?

No need to answer it, because they know in those three countries they have their beloved fans looking forward to their latest game.
You just contradicted yourself. You said it's unlikely that it's their first MMO but then you say they're playing it because it's the latest blizzard game. None of Blizzard's previous games were MMOs. Diablo and RTS are not MMOs.

Alot of people that went to WoW from something else ended up going back to whatever game they had came from. People refer to it as a Beginner MMORPG for a reason. But there is no sense really arguing this because there are no statistics to show how many players left what games to go to WoW or vice versa.

Quote:
Wow Has a huge playerbase? Talk after you check some stuff out.
I was referring to over here. I don't look into other countries MMO communities in general because usually we don't have shared servers.

Quote:
You haven't played LineageII because you heard its boring? Wow, who did you hear that from? Its like cocaine in Asia.
Although I'm not usually one to listen to reviews, every review over here said the game is insanely boring until you get to high level when you can get in on the PvP action. PvP has never been my cup of tea.

Quote:
You never understood why anyone likes Sims because you are so closed minded.

Mind telling me why people like WoW? "Oooo I can make my character level up! Oh wow! I can attack!" No, obviously that isn't the reason. There are hundreds of reason for everyone why they are playing.
Oh I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that having a different opinion then others automatically ment I was close minded. I admit I could have stated it in a better way but the sims pretty much simulates real life. I don't play video games to simulate real life, I play video games to escape real life. This is very much the same reason I don't like Grand Theft Auto or any of it's clones. I don't understand what people find fun about playing a criminal stealing cars and killing people. I can barely stand to watch the news because I'm sick of hearing about things like that.

Anyhow I didn't start this topic to get into a flame war, so can't we all just get along?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

RPG Maker
Lost Dreamer

Member 342

Level 13.52

Mar 2006

Old Jan 8, 2007, 01:18 AM Local time: Jan 8, 2007, 01:18 AM #17 of 36
I've only played World of Warcraft, my friend kept nagging me to play and so I did. I stopped playing because it was suck what life I had =P

Luceid
Persona

Member 127

Level 11.82

Mar 2006

Old Jan 8, 2007, 09:54 AM Local time: Jan 8, 2007, 09:54 AM #18 of 36
Not a big fan of MMORPGs myself, but I've played at least three.

WoW.
Final Fantasy XI.
Ragnarok Online.

Out of all these, only playing RO, and will do for some more time.

Yes, I'm a cheap whore.

Manny Biggz
HELL YEAH

Member 2988

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Jan 8, 2007, 11:09 AM #19 of 36
Ozzie don't bother. NaYa NuhYa has played more MMO's, so he obviously has a bigger e-penis.

Either way, here's my list:

Fung Wan Online/ Storm Riders Online
Maplestory
Rakion
Kal Online
City of Heroes/Villains
Star Wars Galaxies
Planetside (if you concider it one)
Everquest 2
Guild Wars
Phantasy Star Universe
Phantasy Star Online (although this isn't a MMORPG)
Rappelz
Fly For Fun
Ran Online
Trickster
Fairyland
Prince of Quinn
Runescape
Final Fantasy XI (trash!)
World of Warcraft (more trash!)
Hero Online
Nostale
Face of Mankind
Project ENTROPIA
Knight Online
Priston Tale
R.Y.L
Ragnarok Online
Silkroad Online

And a few others I don't remember at the moment. Needless to say, i've spent a lot of time on this crap...

JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Jan 8, 2007, 12:29 PM #20 of 36
I've played:

FFXI
City of Heroes
Ragnarok Online
WoW
Guild Wars (if that counts)

And I pretty much vow to never again play an MMORPG unless I REALLY like the subject material (Firefly MMO plz).

I've come to the realization that these games are just time-sucking treadmills that are only fun in the first few hours when you level up like crazy. After that, it's just a long, boring clickfest with no story. Plus, I can't stand the run speed in these games. At least CoH has flying/jumping/running fast/etc...

With console RPGs you finish an epic, emotional story after 40-50 hours. In an MMORPG, you'd probably be level 14 and looking for a new dagger.

No more for me.

Bodomi
Perkele

Member 2202

Level 11.66

Mar 2006

Old Jan 8, 2007, 12:55 PM Local time: Jan 8, 2007, 07:55 PM #21 of 36
I have played these:
Anarchy Online
Lineage II
Silkroad Online

I'm actually still playing Anarchy Online. (Bodomi on Rubi-Ka 2 server)
I'm running my own organization in AO, there's only a few people there, though.

I've seen World of Warcraft, but I'm not going to try it. I know it would destroy my life. Or wait... What?

Most amazing jew boots
Domino
-

Member 1180

Level 28.87

Mar 2006

Old Jan 8, 2007, 02:38 PM Local time: Jan 8, 2007, 08:38 PM #22 of 36
Believe it or not, I haven't actually played any MMORPG's. I've come close to buying one or two, but when it came to it, I just decided against it, mainly because of the monthly fee attached to most MMORPG's. I do have Rappelz on my PC though, but am unable to play it due to Hack shield.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Kimchi

Member 552

Level 27.62

Mar 2006

Old Jan 8, 2007, 07:19 PM #23 of 36
Ozzie don't bother. NaYa NuhYa has played more MMO's, so he obviously has a bigger e-penis.

Either way, here's my list:

Fung Wan Online/ Storm Riders Online
Maplestory
Rakion
Kal Online
City of Heroes/Villains
Star Wars Galaxies
Planetside (if you concider it one)
Everquest 2
Guild Wars
Phantasy Star Universe
Phantasy Star Online (although this isn't a MMORPG)
Rappelz
Fly For Fun
Ran Online
Trickster
Fairyland
Prince of Quinn
Runescape
Final Fantasy XI (trash!)
World of Warcraft (more trash!)
Hero Online
Nostale
Face of Mankind
Project ENTROPIA
Knight Online
Priston Tale
R.Y.L
Ragnarok Online
Silkroad Online

And a few others I don't remember at the moment. Needless to say, i've spent a lot of time on this crap...

Face it, I probably have played more MMORPG more than most of you. Yes, I have my legit KSSN for Korean games. (What?... what about Japanese games? They normally comes out to Korea.)

Wow, where did you get that list? Did you get that off ONRPG or something? Because more than half of those games are junk =P

Oh, BTW Ozzie, I was in pissed off mood at that moment. Yes I have been bitched by my mother for being on PC longer than 2 hours a day =.=

Most amazing jew boots
Manny Biggz
HELL YEAH

Member 2988

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Jan 8, 2007, 09:57 PM #24 of 36
Wow you've played more/better MMORPGs than me. I guess that makes you the better person. I should probably go and cry in the corner because i'm so inferior...

Most amazing jew boots
Parn
Tune in... Turn on... Drop out!

Member 2802

Level 10.62

Mar 2006

Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:15 PM Local time: Jan 8, 2007, 10:15 PM #25 of 36
I played several of those Korean MMO's. I noticed a common theme with them: they're all hilariously terrible. Ragnarok Online was the only one that didn't aggravate me from the get-go, and even then, it had its own fair share of stupid problems (I need to level up before I can sit on my ass?)

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] What MMORPGs have you played or are playing now?