Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games!

[M]artin
Syklis Green

Member 16758

Level 8.94

Dec 2006

Old Mar 28, 2007, 10:06 AM Local time: Mar 28, 2007, 10:06 AM #1 of 74
Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games!

Quote:
SEGA AND NINTENDO JOIN FORCES FOR MARIO & SONIC AT THE OLYMPIC GAMES

Legendary Icons Appear Together for the First Time in Video Game History

TOKYO (March 28, 2007) – SEGA® Corporation and Nintendo Co. Ltd. today made a historical announcement that two of the biggest icons in the entertainment industry, Mario™ and Sonic™, are joining forces to star in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games. Developed for the Wii™ video game system and the Nintendo DS™ system, this momentous agreement marks the first time these two renowned stars have appeared together in a game.
Published by SEGA across Europe and North America, and published by Nintendo in the Japanese market, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games will be available for Holiday 2007 and is licensed through a worldwide partnership with International Sports Multimedia (ISM), the exclusive interactive entertainment software licensee of the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

In Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, players will compete in events that take place in environments based on the official venues of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. Using a supporting cast of characters from the amazing worlds of both Mario and Sonic, gamers will be able to compete as or against a range of lovable personalities including Mario, Sonic, Luigi™, Knuckles™, Yoshi®, Tails™ and more. Innovative usage of the Wii and DS control systems to maneuver a favorite character will allow players to race the likes of Mario and Sonic down the 100m track, engage in exhilarating rallies in table tennis and churn water in a swimming heat, all while competing for the much sought after gold medal.

“We are thrilled to partner with Nintendo and ISM on this groundbreaking title,” said Hisao Oguchi, President and Chief Operating Officer, SEGA Corporation. “For the first time, two of the world’s greatest games’ characters come together to compete in the world’s greatest sporting event and we couldn’t be more excited.”

“Mario and Sonic have been respectful rivals since the early days of video games,” says Shigeru Miyamoto, Senior Managing Director and General Manager, Entertainment Analysis and Development Division, Nintendo Co., Ltd.. “In fact, for a long time they have been discussing the possibility of one day competing against each other. Now that they have been given the perfect opportunity to meet at the Olympic Games, we may finally learn who is actually faster, Mario or Sonic?”

“The Olympic Games represent the true spirit of competition and passion,” said Raymond Goldsmith, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of ISM. “Bringing together intensely competitive and fun characters like Mario and Sonic in an Olympic setting helps showcase the sports of the Olympic Games in a new and compelling way for all generations.”

For further information on this title please visit www.sega-press.com for Europe and the SEGA FTP for America at: http://segapr.segaamerica.com.
Another Source: Nintendo Japan

EDIT: Yet Another Source Surfaces: Kotaku

Absolutely NOT an April Fool's dealie.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by [M]artin; Mar 28, 2007 at 10:43 AM.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2007, 10:28 AM #2 of 74
I will only play this if there's a mini game where I can punch Izzy in the nuts.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
garthvadr3
Good Chocobo

Member 694

Level 15.42

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2007, 10:30 AM #3 of 74
heh... who'd a thunk it, mario and sonic teaming up. I hope they include a power pad with this one.

I forsee the next mario cart having sonic in it too, hey maybe they will make a mario sonic team up platformer. getting carried away.

Anyway this game could be fun, well have to wait and see the details. I sure hope they get some running and hurdle jumping in, not sure how that will work with the wii-mote and nunchuck but we'll see...

maybe strap too wii-motes to your legs and run around the living room. Can't wait to see the lawsuits from people who plow over their HDTVs from that one

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
[M]artin
Syklis Green

Member 16758

Level 8.94

Dec 2006

Old Mar 28, 2007, 10:39 AM Local time: Mar 28, 2007, 10:39 AM #4 of 74
I was hoping that SSBB would be the first game in which Sonic and Mario team up, it would make the event seem more historic, but eh. Hope there's an extremely extensive roster with characters reaching far back into each series history. I also have my fingers crossed because I don't want this title turning out to be a Mario Party type clone...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Dekoa
Is now the Tolkein Red Shirt.

Member 194

Level 28.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2007, 10:48 AM #5 of 74
I was hoping that SSBB would be the first game in which Sonic and Mario team up, it would make the event seem more historic, but eh. Hope there's an extremely extensive roster with characters reaching far back into each series history. I also have my fingers crossed because I don't want this title turning out to be a Mario Party type clone...
Remember martin, SSBB comes out in June, This comes out at the end of the year. I think that if Sonic is an unlockable character, that would be the first game that they officially star together in. Thus it would be "historic". However, I don't think Sonic or any third party characters will be included in the mario kart games. However, I do think that Nintendo might just make a spin off kart game that is alot like SSBB.

I think this just further proves the evidence that Sonic is gonna be in SSBB!

Edit: Also Curse you Martin, i just saw it on digg and I was gonna post it.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Dekoa's Friend Quote: "You can't rape the Willing!"

[M]artin
Syklis Green

Member 16758

Level 8.94

Dec 2006

Old Mar 28, 2007, 11:07 AM Local time: Mar 28, 2007, 11:07 AM #6 of 74
Lawl, sowwie Dekoa... V_V

However, I don't think Sonic or any third party characters will be included in the mario kart games. However, I do think that Nintendo might just make a spin off kart game that is alot like SSBB.
Didn't Mario Kart Arcade GP star quite a few Konami characters like Pac-Man, Ms. Pac Man, and Blinky?

EDIT: ---> Yup. <--- They even came back for the sequel.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by [M]artin; Mar 28, 2007 at 11:11 AM.
Buizel
Sup?

Member 667

Level 21.47

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2007, 11:18 AM #7 of 74
Last time I checked Pac-Man was Namco...

...and OMFG @ game. o_O

FELIPE NO
[M]artin
Syklis Green

Member 16758

Level 8.94

Dec 2006

Old Mar 28, 2007, 11:21 AM Local time: Mar 28, 2007, 11:21 AM #8 of 74
Oh duh. Silly me. Both names sound equally goofy, plus, I'm still having wet dreams about Metal Gear Solid 4... ^_^

How ya doing, buddy?
garthvadr3
Good Chocobo

Member 694

Level 15.42

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2007, 11:28 AM #9 of 74
yes, Pac-Man is Namco, but the arcade mario cart was developed by Namco so it makes sense that those characters appeared in it. SSBB may yet have a sonic character or two in it. Remember how many secret characters were in SSBM that were unannounced before the game released. I mean fire emblem characters, uber amounts of pokemon characters. I'm sure sonic will sneak in somehow considering Sega's current level of support.

And considering the olympics game. I hope since it is a major endevor that they don't get cheap on gfx. I know the nintendo philosophy, however, I am getting sick of seeing PS2 and GC quality gfx on a waaaaaaaaaaaay superior system. If it keeps happening I will have to UPS the devs a vile of piss (one per dev). hopefully they will spare me the trouble since I don't feel like drinking that much water

Most amazing jew boots
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2007, 11:35 AM #10 of 74
O...M...F...G! While I want to see how the game turns out, this is some very awesome news! Seriously, who would've thought that the first time these two met would be at the Olympics? Should make for a very interesting storyline. You have to wonder how it's going to work on the Wii and on the DS. Guess we'll have to wait and see when videos will probably start popping up in May.

Sonic in Brawl would be awesome. Also, I doubt Brawl would come out in June. That's just Gamestop's placeholder until they find the real date...unless this has also been confirmed?

Still, I can't wait for the Olympics now.

[M]artin
Syklis Green

Member 16758

Level 8.94

Dec 2006

Old Mar 28, 2007, 11:39 AM Local time: Mar 28, 2007, 11:39 AM #11 of 74
Maybe the two versions (Wii & DS) will feature wireless connectivity features? I have yet to see Nintendo use it in a game other than that Pokemon Wii Title...

PsychoJosh
Banned

Member 1511

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2007, 12:35 PM Local time: Mar 28, 2007, 11:35 AM #12 of 74
Mathematical! Sonic and Mario appearing together at last in the least fun genre of videogame that exists.

Well, this means that he's definitely showing up in SSBB... (sigh).

Sin Ansem
Miyamoto digs Negi Springfield

Member 1148

Level 21.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2007, 02:13 PM #13 of 74
Quote:
SSBB comes out in June
PROOF, sauce, etc.

Quote:
Well, this means that he's definitely showing up in SSBB... (sigh).
This is good news!

Quote:
Mathematical! Sonic and Mario appearing together at last in the least fun genre of videogame that exists.
This is bad news ...

[M]artin
Syklis Green

Member 16758

Level 8.94

Dec 2006

Old Mar 28, 2007, 02:28 PM Local time: Mar 28, 2007, 02:28 PM #14 of 74
And that genre is...

Olympic Simulation?

K_ Takahashi
Banned

Member 2103

Level 26.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2007, 02:30 PM #15 of 74
Mario isnt even that fast, in his normal state at least.

Sonic automatically wins any type of footracing events, mario would pwn in somehting like a pole vault or something.

FELIPE NO
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2007, 02:35 PM Local time: Mar 28, 2007, 01:35 PM #16 of 74
Sonic automatically wins any type of footracing events, mario would pwn in somehting like a pole vault or something.
This is what I don't get. How could Mario race Sonic? However, it's cool to see these two mascots, and therefore Sega & Nintendo, team up. However, I would have liked to see Super Paper Sonic - it kind of rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
Dekoa
Is now the Tolkein Red Shirt.

Member 194

Level 28.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2007, 03:06 PM #17 of 74
THis thought made me giggle like a schoolgirl.

What if Nintendo and Sega got together and made a game where Sonic is trapped in Mario's universe and Mario is Trapped in Sonics Universe?

Dekoa's Friend Quote: "You can't rape the Willing!"

PsychoJosh
Banned

Member 1511

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2007, 03:09 PM Local time: Mar 28, 2007, 02:09 PM #18 of 74
This is good news!
Speak for yourself. Yuck.

I never once doubted that he would be in SSBB, I just... really don't think he should be.

And that genre is...

Olympic Simulation?
Try "Underwhelming, Excessive Minigame-fest".

Last edited by PsychoJosh; Mar 28, 2007 at 03:13 PM.
Kanji
"Well, hello there, sugar tits."

Member 567

Level 16.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2007, 03:49 PM Local time: Mar 28, 2007, 02:49 PM #19 of 74
What if Nintendo and Sega got together and made a game where Sonic is trapped in Mario's universe and Mario is Trapped in Sonics Universe?
That would make for some massive winnage, in my book. In fact, that's exactly what I'd want a Sonic-Mario crossover to be. Either a switch of universes for the characters, or a single universe for the game featuring a fusion of Mario elements with the usual Sonic ones.

Olympics, though? My instinctive response is "I'll pass", but I guess we'll have to see how it turns out. With the wii's features, it may turn out to be more of a treat than I'm currently expecting.

vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2007, 03:54 PM Local time: Mar 28, 2007, 03:54 PM #20 of 74
When I first heard this title, I thought of the special olympics.

Or getting this game in a happy meal.

THis thought made me giggle like a schoolgirl.

That sounds hilarious.

By the way, did those Spyro/Crash Bandicoot crossover games do well?

Were they even good games?

PsychoJosh
Banned

Member 1511

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2007, 08:17 PM Local time: Mar 28, 2007, 07:17 PM #21 of 74
Ugh. The last thing I need to see is Mario with spiky golden hair fighting God with energy beams he fires from his hands. Sonic would get the sweet end of the deal there, not having to do anything but play golf and tennis and race go-karts all day...

Last edited by PsychoJosh; Mar 28, 2007 at 08:34 PM.
MuppeTFuckeR
Chocobo

Member 4359

Level 9.00

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2007, 08:26 PM #22 of 74
Here's some excerpts from an Q&A: George Harrison and Simon Jeffery on the Mario/Sonic deal with GameDaily BIZ. - http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/fe...00500000000028

Quote:
BIZ: And how much involvement will Miyamoto have in the daily development process? How much is he steering the project?

SJ: The game itself is absolutely being built as a joint venture between Nintendo and Sega. The predominant game development is being done by Sega's sports team and with a fair amount of help from outside companies, and also from Nintendo themselves. Mr. Miyamoto is very heavily involved in the overall direction of the game, the gameplay mechanics, at an executive producer sort of level. He's looking at every milestone, he's giving up suggestions and directions, and Perrin Kaplan actually told us yesterday that his involvement is way more than a lot of normal Nintendo games. And his blessing is really quite a landmark for a game like this that's being built outside of Nintendo itself.
Sega Sports is pretty reputable when it comes to sports games so that's a good sign.

Quote:
BIZ: And in terms of the "innovate usage" of controls, how do you avoid that mini-game syndrome that a lot of Wii games have at the moment, where it's fun for a little bit but then the gamer gets bored?

SJ: I think that's one of the beauties of the Olympics; rather than just a series of mini-games thrown onto a disc together, this is a series of events with a cast of characters, not just Sonic and Mario, that have their own specialties and traits and strengths and weaknesses. There's far more of a competitive Olympian feel to the game than just playing one-off. So gamers will be driven once they finish one event and are successful in it to move to the next event on a competitive basis.
Makes me think the character could have the uniqueness in abilities like the characters had in Super Mario Bros. 2 USA(i.e. Toad was fast, Peach could float whiles jumping, Luigi could jump higher and Mario had pretty average stats.)

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2007, 09:59 AM #23 of 74
Not an April Fools prank, eh? I'll believe that when it's on the shelves, mound of sources or not.

FELIPE NO

evilboris
*stare*

Member 309

Level 24.31

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2007, 09:07 PM Local time: Apr 10, 2007, 03:07 AM #24 of 74
I got this image on 4chan and I find it surprisingly true:

Or at least, I wish it was true. Seriously speaking though:

If it's Sonic Team developing it, it'll be an average game with horrifically convulving storyline, annoying controls and impossible camera movement.

If it's developed by the people who do Mario however, it will be Mario Party 643 featuring Sonic.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Diversion
Jellicle Cat

Member 68

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2007, 09:26 PM #25 of 74
Remember martin, SSBB comes out in June.
News to me, no creditable site says anything close to that, unfortunately =(

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games!