Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Deal Or No Deal

Dubble
The Hero of Mouseton VS The Phantom Blot!

Member 297

Level 32.26

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:28 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 11:28 AM #1 of 25
Deal Or No Deal

Has anybody seen this show?

Its basically a gameshow where the contestant chooses a suitcase with the hopes that it contains a million dollars. They then go to open other suitcases gradually to see what the contents of those suitcases are. As thier chances go up or down a "banker" calls to offer them a large sum of money or keep whatever is in the suitcase. Depending on the amounts of money in the suitcases are they they didnt choose, the bank offer goes up or down.

Its been airing on NBC all last week and my mom and aunt have been going nuts watching it, literally screaming at the TV set when someone keeps picking suitcases. Does anybody else have this same reaction to the show? Quite frankly the shows kind of intense. I jokingly told my aunt that if she kept screaming like that she'd end up with a heartattack.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Rollins
"It's strips like this that differentiate us from Ziggy."

Member 51

Level 17.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:39 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 10:39 AM #2 of 25
It's another one of those game shows that someone else in other foreign country did and their importing here.

Not that it's a bad thing. I'll admit to watching a couple episodes and getting excited about the show myself. However, that was probably due to the novelty of the show. Now though, it's really starting to wear itself thin. It's hard to make the "pick suitcases, then stop!" theme exciting after awhile =/

How ya doing, buddy?

| blog | last.fm | chocojournal = unnecessary |
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 01:07 PM #3 of 25
It is the only game show I've ever seen that is suspenseful. Most game shows draw me in by being an interesting concept or having people on it I feel are worth following. Deal or No Deal might take the latter out of the equation, but they make up for witth suspense. What's in the case? If they didn't tell me the percentages, I'd grab my calculator and do it. I just wish I had more time to devote to watching it...

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Acro-nym; Mar 5, 2006 at 01:11 PM.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 01:11 PM #4 of 25
Deal or No Deal's suspense level is through the roof when there's only one or two large values left. You feel for the contestant when they pick them, you freakin' hate the banker (And based off a contestant I saw the other day, he's set to turn into a villain that the audience will heckle and stuff), and you really want to see the small values in those cases.

The issue is, though, that the show is one thing over and over again. I can see the ratings on this show taking a steady slide as the novelty of the format wears off unless they come up with new and more interesting ways to do it.

If anything they could adopt the format that most other shows use for this, where instead of models holding the cases 25 PEOPLE hold the cases, and they have to guess what's in their case to win some cash.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
TRZD
i'm rappity rappin'

Member 391

Level 9.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 02:42 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 08:42 PM #5 of 25
Yeah, I tend to get drawn into the UK version (not sure which came first). It's like Who Wants To Be A Millionaire was when it first came on, gripping and exciting; but everyone stopped watching that after the first person won the million. I think Deal or No Deal will always be exciting to watch even after someone does eventually win the £250,000 (maximum prize in our one). Some people have had it in their box but dealt far too early; but the way the suspense is built up through the show is great and definitely keeps me watching. I probably see it at least 3/6 times in a week.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Knox
The one and only

Member 1878

Level 2.12

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 02:51 PM #6 of 25
Deal or no Dealis very entertaning...my parents think it is one of the stupidest things ever yet made on television.(besides MTV and VH1)

I think its awesome but i dont have the time to watch it all the time.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Watch the milk dance
DANCE I SAY!
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 03:11 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 02:11 PM #7 of 25
I think the show is pretty damn good, but only in spurts. That's why I think even coming on twice a week might be too much. They should cut it down to once a week, or just run it for a straight week (like they did last week) every couple of months or so, because otherwise it'll probably get stale like Who Wants to be a Millionaire did.

FELIPE NO
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 04:22 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 02:22 PM #8 of 25
Speaking from an academic standpoint, the show is absolutely fascinating. There was a story on NPR this week on how economists from around the world have been studying this show since it finally gives them a perfect idea of how people will perform outside of a lab situation. In their previous labs, the prizes would be like $10, and no one worries about losing that much money, so they take a higher risk.

They basically found that when a person does good at the beginning, they will be more careful near the end (more likely to take the deal) and when a person loses a lot of the big money at the beginning, they are more likely to throw caution to the wind later on even if the banker gives them a good deal for what is left on the board.

How ya doing, buddy?
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 04:26 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 02:26 PM #9 of 25
I like it basically. It's one of those shows that keeps me on the edge of my seat especially in the near end where the values are very high and the contestant constantly struggles to keep the "cheap" money gone and the high-ended ones to stay. There's also the concept of the "banker" who wants to buy the suitcase, further adding to the tension of the player whether or not he/she will accept the cash for fear of a low-value inside the suitcase or as a last resort.

Easily one of my favorites, to be honest. And I don't watch TV that much as well.

Most amazing jew boots
Agent Olive
Desert Rose

Member 249

Level 6.89

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 05:24 PM #10 of 25
My mom and sister scream at the TV as well, it is annoying. Still a pretty good show though, it's a good concept.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 06:37 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 04:37 PM #11 of 25
I accidently watched the end of it while waiting for Lost last week. It was pretty cool. I watched it again when I went home for the weekend. I don't see myself staying tuned to it, but it's a decent game show.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
Tama8-chan
Good Chocobo

Member 952

Level 16.06

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 06:52 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 10:52 AM #12 of 25
The show has been destroying the brain cells of people in Australia for the last 2 or 3 years now.

And the prize used to be $1 million o__o
Now it's only $250 thousand.

It's the shittiest gameshow ever conceived.

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 06:56 PM #13 of 25
I've never heard of this show. The title doesn't ring a bell.

Only good gameshow is Jeopardy; fuck all that other shit.

Rin
o/'Totorototoro~o/'

Member 1917

Level 2.50

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 07:11 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 01:11 AM #14 of 25
The only way I've seen it is through another weekend TV show called Harry Hill's TV Burp, which is basically a TV show making fun of TV shows. Almost every show he calls up Noel and uses a clip from the show to make it look like he's answering him. It's very funny although I can't describe one... except the last one I saw but you'd have to of seen the new The Apprentice (UK) to find it funny (the episode where one team makes a cat calendar with the dates minimilistically tiny).
Harry: Noel, did you like the cat calendar I sent you?
Noel: Yes, are you having a good Tuesday?
Harry: It's Saturday Noel, Saturday! *hangs up* Tch, he can't read it.

(I probably got that a bit wrong, typing from memory).

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Rin; Mar 5, 2006 at 07:17 PM.
Jochie
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 466

Level 19.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:01 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 09:01 PM #15 of 25
I am fascinated by how people find this show fascinating. It's like flipping a coin over and over to see if the contestant wins, only with models holding suitcases, and a banker who offers to buy the coin from them in mid-flip.

FELIPE NO
RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:03 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 12:03 PM #16 of 25
I saw a guy "win" something like $16 and then along came the Supercase right at the end of th show and in it was $200,000 he started crying. I was so happy.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Tawnee Van Pelt
Everybody Hertz

Member 227

Level 23.36

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:11 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 10:11 PM #17 of 25
We have local version of that game. I don't like it, I like my Game Shows with way more challenge than this one.

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:21 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 09:21 PM #18 of 25
The show is great. I was watching it with my friend and we were all yelling at the TV with like "You dumb ass mother fucker, take the deal!!" or whatever

I like how on one of the most recent episodes, Donald Trump came on as a 'Financial Advisor'.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:46 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 11:46 PM #19 of 25
I caught one of the shows when it first aired. It was cool the first time, but much like Millionaire and stuff, it drags. Still, the host is kind of funny.

Most amazing jew boots
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 07:22 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 12:22 PM #20 of 25
Originally Posted by TRZD
Yeah, I tend to get drawn into the UK version (not sure which came first)
According to the mighty Wikipedia:
Quote:
Deal or No Deal is a television game show format owned by Netherlands-based production company Endemol, known for creating such shows as Big Brother. The format first aired in Australia in 2003 but has since spread internationally, now airing in 38 countries, including the United Kingdom, the United States, Mexico, Canada, Italy, Israel, Tunisia, Romania, Poland, India and Germany.
I have to say I've caught bits of the show on TV in the UK and it didn't hold my attention at all. I watched for about 10 minutes wondering what was going on, once I worked it out I decided it was boring and flicked over to something else. I did spy a version of it on Spanish TV but since I don't understand Spanish it was equally boring. I guess it's just not my cup of tea.

SuperNova
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 830

Level 19.47

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 07:51 AM #21 of 25
Originally Posted by Tawnee Stoner
We have local version of that game. I don't like it, I like my Game Shows with way more challenge than this one.
That's the thing I don't get about this game. There really is no skill involved whatsoever. I honestly think a monkey could be a contestant. And no, not a trained lab monkey, I'm talking a feces-throwing wild monkey.

People said the same thing about Press Your Luck when it first came out in the early 80s, and at least that had a competition aspect, some strategy, and some knowledge involved. (This being until that Larson guy figured out the pattern.)

There really is nothing at all to this gameshow at all.

"Here, pick a box."
"That one."
"Okay, there's some money. Wanna keep going?"
"Sure, how about that one!"
"There's some money again. It's more."
"Awesome."

plutoknight
Syklis Green

Member 712

Level 7.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:25 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 12:25 PM #22 of 25
I thought it was a pretty bad idea as well..

Then I watched it and enjoyed. It does get addicting and I love watching how the contestants react when they see that they don't win the big money.

What is even more interesting is the character of the Banker. Keeping a close eye on how the Banker reacts when the Contestant decides almost always provides a good laugh or 2.

How ya doing, buddy?
Mr. X
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1902

Level 21.68

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 02:02 PM #23 of 25
It amazes me how they manage to provide highly interesting shows with such a relatively simple concept. It's partly because the presenter, Noel Edmonds, does a superb job in the UK version, though there's certainly something fascinating from a psychological point-of-view. I thought it was ridiculous when I first saw it, but somehow I've grown quite fond of it and tune in a couple of days a week.

It'll get boring soon enough, but here's to hoping it won't become stale too quickly, and, when it does, it gets axed rather than prolonger over and over.

FELIPE NO
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 02:09 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 08:09 PM #24 of 25
Wwwaaaaahhhh I know that show, it's on German TV as well, and it even has the same name O_O but in my opinion it's a disastrous show, everytime I see those suitcases I am about to commit massacres.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Bloggs
Gold Chocobo

Member 501

Level 30.26

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 11:21 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 04:21 PM #25 of 25
Originally Posted by OmagnusPrime
According to the mighty Wikipedia:

I have to say I've caught bits of the show on TV in the UK and it didn't hold my attention at all. I watched for about 10 minutes wondering what was going on, once I worked it out I decided it was boring and flicked over to something else. I did spy a version of it on Spanish TV but since I don't understand Spanish it was equally boring. I guess it's just not my cup of tea.

It is good to see Noel Edmunds back on the telly though. I do agree that it's boring but I just like watching it to see all their smug faces drop when they loose the jackpot.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Deal Or No Deal