Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Opera 9.00 Final released

Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 03:23 AM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 10:23 AM #1 of 51
Cool Opera 9.00 Final released

http://www.opera.com/download/

If you already use Opera 8, you can just install it in your current Opera folder (all your settings will be saved).

New features:

Quote:
BitTorrent

You don't need a separate BitTorrent application to download large files. Simply click a torrent link and start the download.
Okay, this is shit. By default, it automatically opens torrents in Opera, and doesn't even give you the option to use an external program. You'll probably want to turn this shit off by going to opera:config and unchecking the bittorrent Enable box.

Quote:
Thumbnail preview

It is easy to have many tabs open at once in Opera. But exactly which tab had that video you wanted? Hover your mouse on any tab to see a thumbnail preview.
I'm not sure how useful this is, but it doesn't bother me either.

Quote:
Add your favorite search engines

Right-click on the site's search field and select "Create search" from the menu.
Cool.

Quote:
Content blocker

Remove ads or images - it's up to you. Right-click (CTRL-click on the Mac) on the Web page and choose "Block content".
Well, I guess this is pretty useful. I don't know if I'll use it a lot, but many people probably will.

Quote:
Site preferences

Want to view a site in a different way or deny certain cookies? Want to block pop-ups on certain sites only? Right click and select "Edit site preferences".
A++.

Quote:
Improved rich text editing

Use advanced text editing features for today's most popular Web applications.

Quote:
Widgets

Small Web applications (multimedia, newsfeeds, games and more) that make your desktop experience more fun. Use the Widgets menu to discover new widgets and access your favorites. Visit widgets.opera.com to learn more.
I personally think widgets are mostly useless, but maybe you cool indie hipster dudes from Post Your Desktop will like it. For those that use pandora.com, there is a widget for it, but it's a bit buggy so far.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
B4-Hunter
That's My Creed

Member 310

Level 25.54

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 03:53 AM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 09:53 AM #2 of 51
Who use Opera anyway =D? I still think FF is better =) Not because everyone say so but cause I'm using it and I love it =D

Go GO!!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
"We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each od them lies an IRREPARABLE truth."
- Assassin's Creed Ending
XBOX 360 LiVE ID: B4 Hunter PL
Playing on X360: Assassin's Creed, HALO 3
Playing on PC: Gears of War, Call of Duty 4
kapsi
Why did the chicken cross the Moebius Strip?

Member 2495

Level 6.82

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 03:56 AM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 10:56 AM #3 of 51
I use Opera cause I can't stand FF memory usage.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
B4-Hunter
That's My Creed

Member 310

Level 25.54

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 04:12 AM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 10:12 AM #4 of 51
Originally Posted by kapsi
I use Opera cause I can't stand FF memory usage.
Is it really that much? I'm using FF at work and I have Celeron 133 with 128 RAM here. Can't say it's slow or anything. Never had problems with this =).

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
"We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each od them lies an IRREPARABLE truth."
- Assassin's Creed Ending
XBOX 360 LiVE ID: B4 Hunter PL
Playing on X360: Assassin's Creed, HALO 3
Playing on PC: Gears of War, Call of Duty 4
Duminas
Something

Member 29

Level 13.21

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 04:37 AM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 01:37 AM #5 of 51
I don't use Firefox because it's been known to suck 500+ MB of RAM whenever I use it. This is probably due to how I tend to have 30 tabs or more open at any given point with large histories, but I still expect it not to die every time this happens with Out of Memory errors (SessionSaver was not an option for me).

I've got 27 tabs open right now and Opera's still chugging along fine. But yay for 9 being final. I've been using the Preview 2 for some time, but version bumps are fun.

* Torrents in Opera got nuked faster than you can shake a stick at them.
* Tab thumbnails, I've honestly never used.
* Didn't use that searchengine thing, but that's pretty cool.
* Content blocker never gets used by me, but I run the squid/adzapper combo (Linux only, pretty much), so Opera doesn't even know of the ads it nuked.
* Site preferences rock for those pesky sites that block non-IE users.
* The new rich text editor... huh? I just have it sending source and such to gvim.

Yay for Opera.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Need help using an FTP client? Look no further! ««
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 04:57 AM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 05:57 PM #6 of 51
Yeah, Firefox's retarded RAM usage is pushing me towards Opera (the memory flush on minimize trick apparently doesn't work well for me... memory usage climbs back up to 300+ MB a few seconds after minimizing the FF window).

One thing I noticed about Opera: it actually copies URLs in the proper encoding (no more jumbled Asian characters in Flashget, yay!)

There's still one feature sorely lacking though -- search keyword buttons like the ones found on Googlebar. I want my search terms to be automatically split into individual buttons on the toolbar which I can then click to search for that particular keyword on the page, instead of having to type them again.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 05:12 AM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 08:12 PM #7 of 51
FF is a RAMtard yet Opera's the browser that can't display gifs properly and usually crashes trying to load embedded video.

How ya doing, buddy?
LlooooydGEEEOOORGE
Aardark

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 05:16 AM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 12:16 PM #8 of 51
naw dog, there are no problems with gifs. I don't know about embedded video, since I'm not a huge fan of myspace. sites like youtube and google video work fine, tho.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 06:45 AM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 09:45 PM #9 of 51
No problems in v9 or no problems in general? Because from my experience, Opera does not read gif framerates properly. It displays them too slow.

LlooooydGEEEOOORGE
Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 08:09 AM #10 of 51
Finally, Opera 9 final is out. Thankfully, it has now remembered that I told it--long ago--to open my home page every time I open the browser. (I finally have enough incentive to start using it as my main browser.)
There seemed to be a bug with the preview (beta) releases where it didn't seem to save that setting correctly.

How ya doing, buddy?
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 08:28 AM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 07:28 AM #11 of 51
I downloaded this to serve as my "work" browser, because of weird proxy settings that are required to browse at work now, so I figured instead of changing my proxy settings in firefox twice a day, this would be a nice way of trying out Opera. So far the biggest issue I have with it is that Shift+Left Click opens links in new tabs, which is not nearly as comfortable as firefox's Ctrl+Left Click. Because I'm running on a laptop, using the touchpad and keyboard, this is important to me, and the Ctrl button is in a perfect spot for my pinky to rest while I am running the touchpad, the shift key on that side is uncomfortable to reach. So naturally it is time to play around with it and see if that can be modified.

How ya doing, buddy?
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Cyrus XIII
Good Chocobo

Member 554

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 08:45 AM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 02:45 PM #12 of 51
Originally Posted by russ
instead of changing my proxy settings in firefox twice a day
Why is that?

russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 09:58 AM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 08:58 AM #13 of 51
Because I use this laptop both at home and at work. So change proxy settings when I get in to work each morning, and when I get home from work each evening.

I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:39 AM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 10:39 PM #14 of 51
Ah very cool. This browser has torrent support as well. and the best of all, it's free. I need alternative when FF crashed (a lot)

Sorry, what is the real difference between english and international version? language pack? java-support?

You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.
Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:41 AM #15 of 51
Originally Posted by eriol
Ah very cool. This browser has torrent support as well. and the best of all, it's free.

Sorry, what is the real difference between english and international version? language pack? java-support?
Yes, but the torrent support is quite annoying--I have a torrent client for a reason. (I wish it were turned off by default, but oh well.)

The international version probably contains a multitude of languages. It has nothing to do with Java support.

FELIPE NO
Roph
ヽ(ºДº)ノ

Member 63

Level 25.06

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 12:10 PM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 06:10 PM #16 of 51
I'd maybe use Opera if firefox crashed alot on me or used alot of my RAM or had some feature I wanted that I couldn't do in firefox, but it doesn't, so I'm fine. Opera supposedly renders pages faster, though I can live without it.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Old Jun 21, 2006, 01:27 PM #17 of 51
So I am curious as Pom and now OP like Opera a whole lot, what makes it better than Firefox? I used to be a big Opera user back in the day but then switched to Mozilla/Firefox. Please enlighten me how it is now better.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 01:36 PM Local time: Jun 22, 2006, 01:36 AM #18 of 51
Probably the torrent support and less ram usage compared to firefox is make opera usable as alternative of firefox, especially when the time the firefox crashes. The loading time is also much faster because Opera access the cache first, though it would be little problem if you want to update some pages, like your gamingforce control panel, you must hit the refresh button first before you could see the updated subcribed threads.

I honestly only using opera to browse because it doesnt have support for flashget shamelessly. =(

There's nowhere I can't reach.
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 01:44 PM #19 of 51
I only use flashget with IE. I've never found the Firefox plugin for flashget to be very good. It never let me do save all to flashget in FF. Why else would you use flashget besides resuming downloads and large file downloads?

Also, the idea of having bittorrent integrated into a browser is pretty lol since bittorrent sucks up most of your bandwidth therefore nullifying your ability to browse. At least it does on my shitty DSL connection over here. Not like anyone would use that thing over a good client like BitLord, Azureus, or µTorrent.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by FatsDomino; Jun 21, 2006 at 01:46 PM.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Duminas
Something

Member 29

Level 13.21

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 02:19 PM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 11:19 AM #20 of 51
Or rtorrent, for that matter. I would use it if I was completely lacking a client (or otherwise unable to install one), but the configuration options are sorely limited.

And Cal, those work fine for me. I have GIF animation disabled on most sites because it's annoying, but where I do allow it, they work fine. Also, embedded video as in what, YouTube? That works fine, and I can view pretty much any video format directly by use of mplayerplug-in. I've been using it since 8.51, and it's never really been an issue.

Beyond that, I just like in Opera I didn't need to install ten different extensions to get it to do what I want. Here, everything was builtin, save adblocking which I needed squid for, but that was easy enough.

Need help using an FTP client? Look no further! ««
Aardark

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 02:27 PM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 09:27 PM #21 of 51
I use it for mouse gestures and the cool little built-in notepad (very useful, but often overlooked feature).

It is also much more easily customizable (visually), and I can make my bookmarks look like favicons and put them at the bottom of the window

().

Also, the built-in download manager is better, since (a) it doesn't take up a seperate window, and (b) it actually lets you resume downloads.

Also, it keeps recent pages in the cache, so the page isn't automatically reloaded every time I click Back, which is very convenient.

Also, it automatically saves the current session, so if I close the browser, the next time it will automatically open all the sites I had open before.

Other than that, I have used Opera for four years now. It had all the cool features before Firefox kind-of borrowed them. Either way, I see no reason to switch, especially since Firefox is slower and clunkier.

Firefox does do some things better than Opera, but generally it's simply not as good a browser, its creators were just better at marketing.

Last edited by Aardark; Jun 21, 2006 at 02:31 PM.
Agent Marty
*snore*

Member 243

Level 7.77

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 02:30 PM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 11:30 AM #22 of 51
How did you get your icons to do that, Aard?

And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected." - John Steinbeck
Aardark

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 02:38 PM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 09:38 PM #23 of 51
Just drag the site from bookmarks to the status bar. Then right click on it > Customize, and choose Style > Images Only.

Also, I forgot to mention, being able to hold down the right mouse button and click the left one to move Back (vice versa to go Forward) is the most useful mouse gesture ever, and once you get used to it, you'll never want to use another method.

Double Post:
Oh, one more thing, if you accidentally close a page, you can just choose Undo to open it back up. Very useful, especially if you don't have that site bookmarked.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Aardark; Jun 21, 2006 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 03:39 PM #24 of 51
Yeah, I just went and upgraded my Opera. I completely forgot I even had it on my system. Anyway, yeah gifs still play way too slow in Opera. It's ridiculous. If they'd just fix that I'd use it a lot more. This confuses me greatly because I know Pom loves gif threads so I'm unsure of how he puts up with it.

Double Post:
Also, I've noticed that the thumbnails aren't live. If I scroll up in one of them then go to another tab it will still show the thumbnail of where I was when I first viewed a thumbnail of that tab. Kind of a bummer.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by FatsDomino; Jun 21, 2006 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Aardark

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 03:47 PM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 10:47 PM #25 of 51
So the animated GIFs really do play too slow? I never noticed, I guess it's not really one of my priorities. To each his or her own, I suppose!

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Opera 9.00 Final released