Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Another linux question

PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2006, 05:43 PM Local time: Jun 25, 2006, 03:43 PM #51 of 55
You see, here's the thing: I shouldn't have to do all of that just to keep my sound working. I shouldn't even have to make a one-time script.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Duminas
Something

Member 29

Level 13.21

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2006, 09:41 PM Local time: Jun 25, 2006, 06:41 PM #52 of 55
I was thinking earlier you wanted to try Linux, but now I see this isn't entirely true.

Not every single bit of hardware will work properly on Linux because it's generally developed for Windows and Windows only. We have scripts to make tasks easier in lieu of a total remedy for this. Scripts can also be used to automate other tasks, as their name and usage implies.

Did you look if it was a bug within ALSA or the driver? If within ALSA, report it so they can actually fix it; same for the drivers, but less can be done on this end. If you feel that you "shouldn't have to" do something to get your system working, I frankly think you shouldn't use Linux, as you're in the totally wrong mindset for it.

You might think that I'm just spouting "Linux is easy!" here, but I'm really not. I know Linux takes a great deal of adaptation to get used to, but going "IT SHOULD WORK LIKE WINDOWS!" is quite naive, sir.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Need help using an FTP client? Look no further! ««
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2006, 10:02 PM Local time: Jun 25, 2006, 08:02 PM #53 of 55
It shouldn't work like windows per se. It should just work. Ideally, all operating systems would just work. But alas, this isn't an ideal world. Maybe some day.

You're right, though. Linux and I just weren't meant for each other, so I had to let her go. Sucks, too, she was pretty, and nice. . You're definitely right about my mindset, too. I want to worry about (and work on) the internal functions of my computer as little as possible. I don't care about how my computer works or the nature of the programming and how it interacts with the system. I don't want to compile code or write scripts just to keep something working. I just want it to get the hell out of my way so I can actually get some real work done.

You know what I need? A Mac. Many of the people I work with use Macs, and I use their computers regularly, so I'm fairly familiar with them. Maybe when I have the money I'll buy one. Then I can have the security and stability of a Unix-derived OS and also something that "just works".

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by PiccoloNamek; Jun 25, 2006 at 10:05 PM.
Magic
Good Chocobo

Member 492

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Jun 26, 2006, 01:10 AM #54 of 55
Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek
You see, here's the thing: I shouldn't have to do all of that just to keep my sound working. I shouldn't even have to make a one-time script.
Why shouldn't you? Why does everything have to be built especially for you? If you want something to work for you, then learn how to use it. Have you read any of the documentation for Ubuntu or Linux? Have you made any attempts to actually try to adapt yourself to Linux? Why should anyone even bother to help you when you're not willing to do any work? If you really prefer Windows then just use Windows and stop wasting our time. If you actually want to learn how to use Linux then before you start asking questions you need to Read The Fucking Manual.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Jun 26, 2006, 02:02 AM Local time: Jun 26, 2006, 08:02 AM #55 of 55
Couldn't have said it better myself *g*
Thx Magic

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Another linux question