Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

C/C++

Arainach
Sensors indicate an Ancient Civilization

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 12:34 AM #51 of 58
Originally Posted by x86
OK. How many hours did it take to simply boot the application?.
About 84 seconds. Most of that due to the piece-of-crap <4200RPM HD in the box.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Magic
Good Chocobo

Member 492

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 01:18 AM #52 of 58
Originally Posted by x86
OK. How many hours did it take to simply boot the application?.
About 10 seconds (or less, I counted in my head) on a real computer. OpenOffice got better.

Edit: Although I compiled it natively in Linux, so maybe that had more to do with it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Tek2000
NOT AVAILABLE

Member 1641

Level 10.58

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 04:20 PM #53 of 58
Originally Posted by Arainach
About 84 seconds. Most of that due to the piece-of-crap <4200RPM HD in the box.
84 seconds just for a text editor? I don't have such a patience. Plain and simple.

I was speaking idiomatically.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 05:09 PM Local time: Mar 23, 2006, 03:09 PM #54 of 58
I'm actually curious how much of a functionality difference there is between Office 95 and Open Office such that you'd want to wait 84 seconds for a word processor to load when I remember having Office 95 load faster on my 300mhz machine than Office XP does on my current one.

How ya doing, buddy?
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 07:17 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2006, 01:17 AM #55 of 58
Originally Posted by BlueMikey
C++ has no good "bits". That's what people like about it, it is basically nothing, allowing users to do whatever they want with no protection whatsoever.
I'll agree to that, and it's this functionality that has been removed from Java, which is ringfenced, and protected.

Quote:
Java is very important, I think the 3rd most used language (outside of C and C++). Sun, as a caretaker, has gone to vast lengths to improve it, there is one single body to make changes to the language and they never make poor decisions. I think it is still the easiest language to learn (not just the language itself, but it is easy to learn concepts in), so it definitely has its educational purposes.
Proprietary. That's a dirty word in programming circles. I'll agree it has educational value, but I wouldn't use Visual Basic, and I won't use Java. Same reason.

Double Post:
Originally Posted by libc
There exists free (as in free-beer) ports, the most famous one being gcj, but I think it is still incomplete.
Aye. However, proprietary are the roots of the language, and proprietary are most of the fruitful branches. The free version can't really change that. In truth, I see no reason why it should.

Quote:
Java is pretty strong today, with a *lot* of business-critical applications. I'm not expecting it to disappear quickly.
Me either, but I'm also not expecting it to become any more important than it already is. If a genuinely free (and platform-agnostic) language were to launch right now, it would have a good shot, I feel.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Soluzar; Mar 23, 2006 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Automerged double post.
Arainach
Sensors indicate an Ancient Civilization

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 07:48 PM #56 of 58
Originally Posted by x86
84 seconds just for a text editor? I don't have such a patience. Plain and simple.
MS Office XP took over 3 minutes on that box. 2003 wouldn't start for me. It was more a reflection on the system than the program. OO.org loads in under 5 seconds on my Pentium III 800Mhz/4200RPM HD laptop.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 08:49 PM Local time: Mar 23, 2006, 06:49 PM #57 of 58
Originally Posted by Soluzar
I'll agree to that, and it's this functionality that has been removed from Java, which is ringfenced, and protected.
There is very little functionality that has been removed from Java that doesn't involve hackish programming. Sure, it is a pain in the ass (though possible in many cases) to alter memory directly, but, oftentimes, a person is programming quite poorly in C++ if they are taking that approach.

Originally Posted by Soluzar
Proprietary. That's a dirty word in programming circles. I'll agree it has educational value, but I wouldn't use Visual Basic, and I won't use Java. Same reason.
Well, it's dirty, but why? If Sun wasn't taking good care of Java (they are rather famous for taking good suggestions of users and implementing them) I can see that being a problem, but it's no less a problem than a consortium having to agree on changes, which leads to little innovation generally.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
and Brandy does her best to understand
Tek2000
NOT AVAILABLE

Member 1641

Level 10.58

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 02:47 AM #58 of 58
Originally Posted by Arainach
MS Office XP took over 3 minutes on that box. 2003 wouldn't start for me. It was more a reflection on the system than the program. OO.org loads in under 5 seconds on my Pentium III 800Mhz/4200RPM HD laptop.
I'm not defending MS Office products here; actually I also use OpenOffice 2.0.
But a slow boot is a slow boot, whatever product you talk about.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > C/C++