Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

C/C++

grodiens
Pango

Member 620

Level 10.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 01:15 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 06:15 PM #1 of 58
C/C++

I am great fan of C/C++ and wan´t to start a forum for all that people that understand (or want to understane) anything from it.

And I wan´t to ask. Does anyone know if C/C++works fine with the Windows XP?
I always had problem with this.

Best Regards.

Most amazing jew boots
Magic
Good Chocobo

Member 492

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 01:20 PM #2 of 58
Am I correct in understanding that you want to make a fansite for a programming language? Y'know there are already lots of tutorial and help sites on the Internet. Just hit up Google.

Also, I'm pretty sure C/C++ was used to write portions of Windows XP. But don't quote me on that.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
grodiens
Pango

Member 620

Level 10.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 01:30 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 06:30 PM #3 of 58
Yes, I know it, but somethings are either not easy to understand or not to find. e.g. I always try to make games with C/C++ but somethings I read in all possible places but I didnt find.

Best Regards.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
RushJet1
Chiptune Freak

Member 815

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 02:47 PM #4 of 58
yes, given that you have a compiler that is compatible with windows xp (such as visual c++ or vc++.net).

any programming will work with any os as long as the it has a compiler/assembler/interpreter written for it.

How ya doing, buddy?
Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 02:52 PM #5 of 58
Originally Posted by RushJet1
yes, given that you have a compiler that is compatible with windows xp (such as visual c++ or vc++.net).
Also, the Mingw port of GCC is available for Windows through something like Dev-C++.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Snowknight; Mar 3, 2006 at 02:54 PM.
Gilmour
Wark!

Member 564

Level 3.20

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 03:03 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 09:03 PM #6 of 58
Originally Posted by Magic
Am I correct in understanding that you want to make a fansite

Also, I'm pretty sure C/C++ was used to write portions of Windows XP. But don't quote me on that.
Thats correct with a some assembler

I have an industrial placement next year with www.gltrade.com and have to program multi threaded c++ code almost exclusivly, gonna be in interesting year

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 08:21 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 06:21 PM #7 of 58
Very little code for Windows is actually written in asm. Sure, the base pieces of Windows are for new editions, but those are largely untouched between version updates. It is much easier to write a great compiler once and then write everything else in a higher-level language.

Just about the only reason asm is even taught in universities anymore is because it helps broaden the understanding of how computers operate, and not much else.

FELIPE NO
Moon
River Chocobo

Member 34

Level 23.53

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 08:27 PM #8 of 58
grodiens:
If you want to make games in C++ and have a $100 bucks to spend, go to www.garagegames.com and download the Torque Game engine. It is the best way to build / design a game that has even been made for so cheap a price and the help forums there are excellent. Any problem you possibly could have weith it has seriously been answered by at least two people in the help forums there.

How ya doing, buddy?
grodiens
Pango

Member 620

Level 10.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 08:53 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 01:53 AM #9 of 58
Thank you all for the tips. Maybe I will try the Torque Game to make my games (I muss see my money first. :ashamed: )

I tried today to open the c++ but I can´t make it to work.
Does anyone knows a version that works simply with the XP?

Best Regards.

Most amazing jew boots
Moon
River Chocobo

Member 34

Level 23.53

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 09:04 PM #10 of 58
Right-click the source code, select Open With, then select "Notepad"

If you want to actually compile the code, get something like this.

grodiens
Pango

Member 620

Level 10.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 09:10 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 02:10 AM #11 of 58
Originally Posted by Moon
Right-click the source code, select Open With, then select "Notepad"

If you want to actually compile the code, get something like this.
Thanks a lot Moon!!

Magic
Good Chocobo

Member 492

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 12:04 AM #12 of 58
Or you could just use gcc.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
grodiens
Pango

Member 620

Level 10.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 09:26 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 02:26 PM #13 of 58
Originally Posted by Magic
Or you could just use gcc.
Thanks Magic, It works fine.

Best regards

I was speaking idiomatically.
Grawl
WHAT IF I HAD DIED?!

Member 39

Level 34.06

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:37 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 05:37 PM #14 of 58
Do you even now a thing about C/C++ or are you just a newbie at it?

grodiens
Pango

Member 620

Level 10.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 08:18 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 01:18 AM #15 of 58
Originally Posted by Grawl
Do you even now a thing about C/C++ or are you just a newbie at it?
I can program relatively well with C but I´m not good with XP (it always worked good with windows 98).

Best Regards.

FELIPE NO
Tek2000
NOT AVAILABLE

Member 1641

Level 10.58

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 05:53 PM #16 of 58
I'm on the opinion C# would be THE language both for application developent and OS development if it was optimized to the degree of C/C++, allowed asm keyword for inline assembler, function calling convention mangling, forced inline keyword and native code generation.
Array bounds checking, the string implementation, and its clean syntax makes C# very neat, even better than Java since it allows gotos and pointers (not recommended maybe, but they SHOULD be even for a last resort).

(Although, in the case of writing new OS code, you'd first write all the memory management stuff before creating objects via the new instruction or threads, per example).

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Tek2000; Mar 6, 2006 at 05:57 PM.
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 06:43 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 04:43 PM #17 of 58
How much harder is it to program in assemly than it is in C/C++? I know it's much more arcane, but the tendancy is, the more assembly used in a program, the faster it runs (as painfully evident in my pure C++ emulators as oppsed to the likes of Kega, Gens and Zsnes).

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Arainach
Sensors indicate an Ancient Civilization

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 08:29 PM #18 of 58
C and C++ are not designed to be emulated languages, which is why any "emulator" would run so poorly.

Even when programming for giant Mainframe applications that take months, programmers use high-level languages instead of assembly. Compilers do their job well and it is about infinity times easier to program in high-level as opposed to assembly.

BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 09:11 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 07:11 PM #19 of 58
Originally Posted by x86
I'm on the opinion C# would be THE language both for application developent and OS development if it was optimized to the degree of C/C++, allowed asm keyword for inline assembler, function calling convention mangling, forced inline keyword and native code generation.
Array bounds checking, the string implementation, and its clean syntax makes C# very neat, even better than Java since it allows gotos and pointers (not recommended maybe, but they SHOULD be even for a last resort).
Well, you can turn on ultra-optimization when compiling C# code or you can even use a non-VS compiler. I believe, and don't quote me on this because I used VS.NET/C# very shortly after it appeared, but I beliee you can write C code, or, at least, call C functions from a C# program, meaning that you can do whatever the hell you want at a lower level. Now, I never tried asm, but I believe you can either do that through C.

Java doesn't allow goto because it is not a procedural language. goto does not mean that C# has a cleaner syntax. You can say that nothing in Java is a pointer because you aren't allowed to manipulate them directly, but, really, everything in Java is a pointer.

Arainach

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 09:37 PM #20 of 58
On C# - I'm no expert (I've just been learning it for a couple of weeks myself), but the entire point of C# is that it's strongly typed and prevents a lot of low-level activities that C and C++ allowed to that end. MS calls it a "security feature"; the rest of us call it "a pain in the ass".

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 09:48 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 07:48 PM #21 of 58
Yeah but, and this might only be true in VS.NET, there was an easy way to disarm those restrictions. So perhaps it only relates to C# as it is in a .NET environment but, really, last I checked it hadn't branched out beyond that.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Overkill
Syklis Green

Member 1892

Level 7.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:18 PM #22 of 58
What. There are basically C/C++ compilers for every platform in existance. And if you want to make Windows programs, nab Visual Studio 2005 (Express, if you want a free compiler while the offer's still on), use the Windows SDK, grab the DirectX 9 SDK, and then code away. I'd think any of the basic window functionality hasn't changed since 98 for the most part, so writing a modern Windows app wouldn't be significantly different. Don't settle for GCC or Dev-C++, they're not near as well catered to the Windows platform, plus VS has the greatest API. Ever.

Arainach

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:22 PM #23 of 58
Quote:
plus VS has the greatest API. Ever.
*Gag* What?

FELIPE NO
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:48 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 08:48 PM #24 of 58
It doesn't even make sense to say that compiler had a good API. :\ If you mean the documentation, uh, no. Java still is king.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:07 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 08:07 PM #25 of 58
Originally Posted by Arainach
On C# - I'm no expert (I've just been learning it for a couple of weeks myself), but the entire point of C# is that it's strongly typed and prevents a lot of low-level activities that C and C++ allowed to that end. MS calls it a "security feature"; the rest of us call it "a pain in the ass".
Well, this is what bothers me about programmers who pretty much rely on the ease of a high level language. It really isn't a pain in the ass, rather C# forces you into using proper programming techniques you should have learned from the start.

C# was designed mostly with network and internet programming in mind where a lot of proper programming practices need to be observed to maintain security. The problem is most C programmers simply never learned what those practices were and never had to face them being they only have dealt with a single local machine. As a result they had to make the C# language very ridged in hopes in doing so would teach programmers proper programming via the language structure.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > C/C++