Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

If u go to work in a company, for making game music

wilsondx
My scores were gone

Member 3754

Level 5.51

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 10:56 PM #1 of 12
Question If u go to work in a company, for making game music

what certificates u think, can make yourself be allowed to work there?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
The only thing i want to say is -give me back my scores please.....
Moon
River Chocobo

Member 34

Level 23.53

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:03 PM #2 of 12
The only certificate you need for that is the certificate of experience (i.e working for other artists that make good ones). Also, you don't work for the company, you are contracted by them for a project.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Stealth
Indigo 1

Member 207

Level 22.37

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:07 PM Local time: Mar 22, 2006, 10:07 PM #3 of 12
An English one might help too.

Most amazing jew boots

wilsondx
My scores were gone

Member 3754

Level 5.51

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:12 PM #4 of 12
if u send a high quality demo to that company, will they contract with u as they appreciate it?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Moon
River Chocobo

Member 34

Level 23.53

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:13 PM #5 of 12
Unless you can send with said high quality demo a resume of several various contracts you done for other companies and/or state several artists you've worked for, then no. The best thing you could hope for without a resume attached would be a coaster.

I was speaking idiomatically.
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:40 PM #6 of 12
Ask virt (Home Page, but it's down right now).

He got his foot in the door by composing a shitload of stuff, he's a perfectionist, and he began with gameboy soundtracks. Most of his jobs were for European/Independent gameboy game developers, places where knowledge of the particular sound equipment was rare. He's moved on to some console work after that.

I think it's a pretty hard business to get into.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
wilsondx
My scores were gone

Member 3754

Level 5.51

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 12:21 AM #7 of 12
Originally Posted by JazzFlight
Ask virt (Home Page, but it's down right now).

He got his foot in the door by composing a shitload of stuff, he's a perfectionist, and he began with gameboy soundtracks. Most of his jobs were for European/Independent gameboy game developers, places where knowledge of the particular sound equipment was rare. He's moved on to some console work after that.

I think it's a pretty hard business to get into.
besides this artist, are there any other game music producers i can ask ?

FELIPE NO
daxy
Chocobo

Member 3716

Level 9.79

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 05:19 AM Local time: Mar 23, 2006, 11:19 AM #8 of 12
Hmm, there not many composers that are working with games and find a lot of time to go on these forums.
So I doubt there are many other people who can talk out of experience.

If i may give you a tip wilson... you might want to compose a lot first and work for other artist, start working in your singer/songwriter skills.
Record lots of shit. And THEN maybe... just maybe, you could get some jobs working for games.
But by what I hear from people it's a harsh business and really hard to get in
to.

Besides it's not really what you know... but who you know.

good luck.

Most amazing jew boots
Elcee
Self Imposed Bannishment

Member 1350

Level 11.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 05:25 AM Local time: Mar 23, 2006, 02:25 AM #9 of 12
Do also note the use of signed bands in soundtracts, these days. An extra little dimension to make things more interesting/challenging. Trance is a fair genre to innovate. Best wishes.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
wilsondx
My scores were gone

Member 3754

Level 5.51

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 07:44 AM #10 of 12
Originally Posted by daxy
Hmm, there not many composers that are working with games and find a lot of time to go on these forums.
So I doubt there are many other people who can talk out of experience.

If i may give you a tip wilson... you might want to compose a lot first and work for other artist, start working in your singer/songwriter skills.
Record lots of shit. And THEN maybe... just maybe, you could get some jobs working for games.
But by what I hear from people it's a harsh business and really hard to get in
to.

Besides it's not really what you know... but who you know.

good luck.
it seems to be harder to achieve the goal of being gmae music composer, especially in hong kong, where pop music is mainstream

There's nowhere I can't reach.
DCII764II00
Autumn Reign

Member 934

Level 6.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 08:40 AM Local time: Mar 23, 2006, 05:40 AM #11 of 12
Gotta Say, music production (of any kind) is a real difficult business to get your foot into.

I've been producing for roughly 2 and half years now.. I just recently have developed moderate skills... So.. Experience is a very big important factor.

The reason why it's hard to get into the music business, is because it's highly saturated with a lot of people... And they expect you to already have an audience before they even consider you for contract work or anything else really.

For me, it's been such a struggle to get good at what I do.. and even more of a struggle to find people that evne want to listen to your music. The reason being, cuz you're not a star, so you're not worth a listen.. Really that's the main reason.

I dont know the details with game music.. But I'm pretty sure it's hard or even more so than regular music production because of it's restrictions to one area.

I mean.. You could check out http://www.soundclick.com and look at all the music producers out there.. all tryin to sell music online, when the average joe can just open up a p2p or download an album with a torrent.. What's the point of looking at those peeps when I can listen to a chris brown, or a metalica, etc etc....

Your to do list is as follows:

Learn the skills needed for the profession, the key skills.
Expand on the key skills to incorperate other skills (Knowledge)
Document all the work you do - date them and organize them.
Send your music to as many friends/peers as you can, get them to do the same.
Create an interactive webpage with forums/shoutboxes, get people there.
Create a portfolio, burn a disc with your best songs - send them around,
give them to people for free.

THE MOST BIGGEST THING YOU CAN DO, IS DO YOUR WORK FOR FREE! Expect no payment, no return.. And do it for as many people as you can... the first thing you need is notches on your belt.. and people who can say you did a good job...

Oh and to prove my point, my signature is the link to my music on soundclick.. I average about 20 plays per day.. Which is pretty low..That just goes to show how difficult it is to find people who want to listen, care or even consider your music, as just that, music to be listened to.

I suggest you buy this book:
ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE MUSIC BUSINESS
Written by: Donald S. Passman

Quote:
[i]The Rolling Stone Magazine writes:
Should be required for anyone planning or enduring a career in the music biz
Hope that helps
.dc

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
wilsondx
My scores were gone

Member 3754

Level 5.51

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 09:36 AM #12 of 12
Originally Posted by DCII764II00
Gotta Say, music production (of any kind) is a real difficult business to get your foot into.

I've been producing for roughly 2 and half years now.. I just recently have developed moderate skills... So.. Experience is a very big important factor................
Thanks for your advice and suggestions. Working experience is really imperative. Anyway, i 'll try the methods u suggested

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > If u go to work in a company, for making game music