Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Street Fighter II To Be Re-released On DVD

ShinBojack
The Host With The Most

Member 8949

Level 6.75

Jun 2006

Old Jun 27, 2006, 11:42 PM #1 of 36
Street Fighter II To Be Re-released On DVD

Quote:
On July 18, 2006, Manga Entertainment will release Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie (Uncut, Uncensored, Unleashed) on DVD. The DVD features a completely uncensored version of the original Street Fighter II animated movie, which is based upon the popular video game franchise. The DVD will be available for the MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) of $19.98.

According to the press release for the DVD, "Manga's new DVD release is the first-time ever US release of the UK unrated version, featuring a soundtrack by KMDFM and never-before-seen footage of graphic violence and nudity that North American Street Fighter fans have been waiting for - including the notorious Chun Li shower scene!" Additionally, the Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie (Uncut, Uncensored, Unleashed) DVD will feature the following additional materials:
  • Never-Before-Seen Comic Book
Great news for all you Street Fighter fans out there. Finally, us American fans are treated to the infamous Chun-Li nude shower scene :biggrin:

I'm also hoping that Manga at least touches up the transfer for this release, as the orignal DVD release from Sony was released during DVD's infancy, and suffered from a sub-par transfer that can look better now that more resources are available.

Here's a look at the cover art (Ill admit I prefer the orignal DVD's artwork though):

Most amazing jew boots
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 12:22 AM Local time: Jun 27, 2006, 10:22 PM #2 of 36
This cover art would be awesome if it actually punches people in the face.

Seriousely, if they had a just plain white or plain black with Street Fighter II written on it, it would still look better then this.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Magi; Jun 28, 2006 at 12:25 AM.
ShinBojack
The Host With The Most

Member 8949

Level 6.75

Jun 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 12:38 AM #3 of 36
Yea, that'd be nice. Better yet, if you could feel the fury of a Shoryuken.

And yea, I'm not a fan of the cover art either, especially when compared to when the original DVD used the theatrical poster:

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 12:39 AM Local time: Jun 28, 2006, 12:39 AM #4 of 36
I remember buying this dubbed on VHS years ago. Ohhhh god was the dub job bad. Don't know if I'll try this even through download. They still botch up and reverse the names, with Vega, Bison, & Balrog.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

ShinBojack
The Host With The Most

Member 8949

Level 6.75

Jun 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 12:47 AM #5 of 36
Though the dub was pretty terrible, it had some funny moments.

I fondly remember when E.Honda gives Ryu a share of his winnings after fighting Dhalsim and he goes something like "Us Japanese fighters should stick together....BECAUSE WE'RE BROTHERS!!!"

Always gives me a good laugh

Though it isn't stated in the article I posted, I would hope that Manga would have more sense than to just have the English dub on there. After all, they've released both Street Fighter Alpha OVAs with the Japanese track included. Wouldn't make sense for them to go with just the English track now.

I was speaking idiomatically.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 12:58 AM Local time: Jun 27, 2006, 10:58 PM #6 of 36
Originally Posted by Gechmir
I remember buying this dubbed on VHS years ago. Ohhhh god was the dub job bad. Don't know if I'll try this even through download. They still botch up and reverse the names, with Vega, Bison, & Balrog.

You mean reverse from the American or Japanese version?

Goddamnit! Well I'll wait to see what the uncut shit is. I have it on DVD and I really hate having to get another copy of it because some special edition of it comes out later. *grumbles at Predator*

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
ShinBojack
The Host With The Most

Member 8949

Level 6.75

Jun 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 01:16 AM #7 of 36
Well, the largest thing that was edited when it originally came out on DVD was the famous Chun-Li shower scene, where it showed her exposed breasts.

Of course that wasn't shown on the original DVD, so that's what we're getting now. Also, the fight she had with Vega (or Balrog, to be technical) had some scenes cut out for being too bloody.

I'm not sure what else, if anything, was cut from the movie.

Most amazing jew boots
Cobra Commander
Gots to Dominate!

Member 7345

Level 13.25

May 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 01:20 AM Local time: Jun 27, 2006, 08:20 PM #8 of 36
I saw some footage of the movie that might or might not have made it into the movie but chun li does her kikkoken against vega in the clips I saw, I wonder if that will be in it.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 01:33 AM Local time: Jun 28, 2006, 12:33 AM #9 of 36
Saw an ad for this in the latest issue of "Play" as well. It's about time they gave the movie a re-release. This is, like, the first time an uncut version with the Japanese voice track has been released on this side of the coast. I think that in itself deems DVD worthy of purchase.

Oh and regarding the comic (supposedly, prequel to the movie itself), it looks like it's going to be penned by UDON (who's been doing the SF comic series). So that should be a quality comic.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
MrSatan
I'm the best, and the best thing is you know it!

Member 270

Level 15.87

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 04:27 PM #10 of 36
good
i was thinking in buy this movie, ill wait for this release

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Weeklan
Weeklan #02

Member 1605

Level 11.46

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 05:55 PM Local time: Jun 28, 2006, 11:55 PM #11 of 36
I noticed it said the "Chung-Li shower scene". The PAL DVD atleast has it though, whats so special? I'm assuming this is just the PAL version (which is already uncut, uncensored etc anyway) But why was the American version edited?

FFS!!
MrSatan
I'm the best, and the best thing is you know it!

Member 270

Level 15.87

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 06:08 PM #12 of 36
censored for a pg-13 comes to my mind, im not sure thought

How ya doing, buddy?
RYU
Hoshi X Hayabusa

Member 173

Level 33.76

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 06:33 PM Local time: Jun 29, 2006, 02:33 AM #13 of 36
wow I'm waiting for this very long time.no,is not ture,there some scens cut on usa and uk versions like full show Chung-Li shower on Japanese version.

chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 07:05 PM #14 of 36
I taped this when it was on HBO ^^;. I guess i can cop' this widescreen now.

As for the chun-li scenes.. Its not a big deal. Though i really want a sequel of this movie..

Last edited by chato; Jun 28, 2006 at 07:12 PM.
CryHavoc
Catherine Bell <3

Member 8369

Level 18.10

Jun 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 08:27 PM Local time: Jun 29, 2006, 04:27 AM #15 of 36
Here's the deal : I saw two versions of the movie, one was where the 'nude' Chun-Li scene was edited out (almost), and the fight had its bloody moments in full, but didn't have anything too suggestive in it (She was fighting in her panties, so yeah there were some "up-shirts" :P ) But the bloody parts were all intact, like when vega (Balrog) slashes her and licks the blood, etc..

Another one with the full shower scene (it's short, and leaves much to be desired if you're into Chun-li, believe me) all the 'suggestive' parts in the vega fight up-shirts (!!) and all, including her kickoken attack (Which was pretty hot, considering her thighs were drawn beautifully) but parts like vega licking her blood off his claws and others were edited out.

Believe it or not the first version i saw didn't have the fight with Sagat, which was kickass and i was like O_O when i saw the second one, i loved it.

Overall the movie's well worth paying for, once and even twice, it's that good and i can confidently venture say it's the best conversion of a game-to-movie, ever.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by CryHavoc; Jun 28, 2006 at 08:30 PM.
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 10:26 PM Local time: Jun 28, 2006, 09:26 PM #16 of 36
Yeah hey, wasn't the uncut version featured on the Street Fighter Collection PS2 game disc?

How ya doing, buddy?
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
ShinBojack
The Host With The Most

Member 8949

Level 6.75

Jun 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 10:37 PM #17 of 36
Yea, I'll have to agree with you CryHavoc.

Compared to all the other video game to anime conversions that are out there (Fatal Fury, Samurai Showdown, Tekken, Darkstalkers), this movie is easily the best of the bunch, though Fatal Fury and Darkstalkers are tied for second. This anime just captured the essence of the various characters perfectly, and everything flowed together beautifully. Hell, even DeeJay was looking good in this movie. Though I was saddened that Cammy didn't get anymore screen time...

And Russ, no. The version of the movie that was on the SF Anniversary Disc was the same edited PG-13 version that was previously released on DVD. Either way, the movie on the Anniversary Disc is plagued with horrible pixelation and macroblocking, mainly due to the fact that the movie was literally crammed onto the DVD itself. And as a result of the movie not getting enough space on the disc itself, the picture quality took a big hit. So you're better off just getting this new DVD, as it's sure to have a cleaner-looking transfer than the original Sony DVD.

That, and you get to see Chun-Li's jumblies :biggrin:

Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2006, 03:20 AM Local time: Jun 29, 2006, 02:20 AM #18 of 36
Originally Posted by ShinBojack
That, and you get to see Chun-Li's jumblies :biggrin:
That and the Japanese dub track. Which came with a catchy theme song (Ryoko Shinohara's, with T.Komuro "Itoshisato Setsunasato Kokoro Tsuyosato").

Speaking of that song, does anyone know if they actually kept the intrumental version in the Alpha Anthology. I remember reading in the Eternal Challenge book that in Alpha/Zero for the dramatic fight against Bison with Ryu and Ken, an instrumental version of the movie's theme song is played.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Hantei; Jun 29, 2006 at 03:28 AM.
CryHavoc
Catherine Bell <3

Member 8369

Level 18.10

Jun 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 01:28 AM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 09:28 AM #19 of 36
I'll ask again : WHAT THE HELL?? DARKSTALKERS MOVIE??

(Fuck you, lord)

ShinBojack
The Host With The Most

Member 8949

Level 6.75

Jun 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:41 PM #20 of 36
Review is up on IGN:

Quote:
In the age of 2D gaming, Capcom was king. Over the years, the Street Fighter franchise continues to generate buzz despite a total lack of evolution from its original format. It seems that every gamer out there (as well as some non-gamers) know the franchise. So it comes as no surprise, then, that Capcom capitalized on the franchise during its prime.

In 1994, Street Fighter fans were given both the highest honor and worst nightmare possible when not one but two movies were produced. In America, we got the live-action Street Fighter movie starring the ever-popular Jean-Claude Van Damme to fill the star role as Guile (why Guile was the focus, we'll never know). An odd choice, but then again nobody really expected the movie to kick any type of ass. At the same time, however, Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie was released in Japan, setting the bar to new heights for the anime/videogame hybrid genre.

Since then we've seen tons of spin-offs from multiple franchises such as Mortal Kombat and Tekken, as well as a ton of alternate Street Fighter media (more movies, an animated TV show, etc.), but nothing holds as true to the series or offers as much classic presentation as the original animated movie.

Though the movie may already hold a spot in DVD collections around the world, this newly released Uncut, Uncensored, Unleashed version is the first true conversion from the original Japanese masterpiece to hit American shores. What does the package really add? Not a whole lot, to be honest, though it may in fact be enough for hardcore Street Fighter fans. But to kick things off, it's important to understand the stigma that's surrounded this film over the years.

Starting in Japan, the movie was hailed by anime critics as a true narrative envisioning of the video game, especially with the centerpiece Chun-Li vs. Vega fight (one that still gives some of us true fans an uncomfortable shiver), which still ranks as one of the best animated fight scenes in history.

In addition to some simply awesome fights, the Japanese version offers the ultimate fan-service as well, showing a naked Chun-Li in the shower just prior to the previously mentioned battle. Among a few of the more violent portions of the film, this scene has been the focus of editing for American versions, cutting out the brief chest shot and a pan-up from the back of Li's legs all the way to her shoulders. Sure it's a minor edit, but after hearing about the editing fans of the series were pissed about the American cut, and opted to watch the movie in its original Japanese form.

Meanwhile, the original PG-13 American cut actually phased out the entire shower scene and a good chunk of the battles, while the more recent "Unrated" version skipped on far less, though still cut out a few of the original shots (both in the shower scene as well as a few key battles). What this version of Street Fighter II offers is quite simple: A first-ever completely uncut presentation of the actual Japanese film.

In fact, Manga Video went to some length to ensure that fans had nothing to complain about this time around. The two-sided disc features 5.1 surround mixes of both the English and Japanese cuts of the film, as well as the obvious option of allowing English subtitles. In addition, the film is taken directly off the Japanese master, showing the "never before seen" clips (which really only add a few extra shots here and there). The UK edition also includes the additional scenes from the Japanese master, but still uses the original music.

Again, there really isn't a ton of new content here, but the DVD does ensure that both versions get equal treatment with enhanced sound, uncut presentation and their respective sound tracks (which, if you haven't seen both, is actually a night-and-day difference that really changes the feel of the movie).

The original cut of the movie, directed by Gisaburo Sugii is by far the strongest Street Fighter showcase aside from the actual games. The battles are great, the action is fluid and the story is, well, a videogame story. M. Bison and Shadowloo are out the find the strongest fighters in the world, and use them to conquer the planet. It doesn't get much simpler than that. This is also the first time of getting the original Japan cut, so if you're a newcomer to the film there's no better time to jump in.

Though the story is definitely lacking, the fights are timeless: The movie features Sagat vs. Ryu, Ken vs. T. Hawk, the famous Chun-Li vs. Vega battle, Blanka vs. Zangief, E. Honda vs. Dhalsim and a finale including not only a fight between Ryu and Ken, but a two-on-one battle with the Ryu and Ken against M. Bison. The fighting scenes were created with the help of legendary Japanese fighter Kazuyoshi Ishii, giving the battles a unique and realistic feel.

Simply put, if you're a fan of the series and haven't seen the movie, you need to.

Score: 8 out of 10

The Video
Though it features a transfer produced from the original Japanese master, Street Fighter II is exhibited in non-anamorphic widescreen (1.85:1), so those of you with 19x9 TV are pretty much screwed. Additionally, the quality of the original cut isn't up to speed with classics such as Ninja Scroll or Akira, so the display quality is a bit lacking. That being said, the actual animation still holds up amazingly well, and a few of the scenes are still breathtaking (Ryu vs. Sagat comes to mind) despite the somewhat poor quality.

It's obvious they did the best they could with the original master, but there isn't much that can be done this late after production. It's the best we're going to see though, so hopefully this won't discourage would-be fans from grabbing a copy.

Score: 4 out of 10

The Audio
This department is really going to depend on what you like. Luckily, this edition of Street Fighter II leaves that entirely up to the viewer. Both cuts are given 5.1 surround treatment, each keeping their original soundtrack as well. What this means is the Japan cut still floods the battles with over-dramatic ballads, while the English version blasts a hardcore metal soundtrack.

Fans be warned, however: The voice acting is horrid. We meant it when we said the audio composition creates two entirely different versions of the same movie, and ultimately we put our stock in the original Japan recording by unanimous decision.

Audio: 7 out of 10

Extras and Packaging
Street Fighter II comes in a standard Amaray case with a paper insert featuring a plot synopsis, a description of features, and technical information about the disc. The set also comes with an interior insert that provides scene titles.

Aside from the uncut presentation of both versions, Street Fighter II doesn't offer much of anything in the way of extras. The menus are animated, showcasing a look very similar to the original game, and the Japanese side of the DVD also includes tiny biographies of each character from the movie (called "Interactive Player Cards).

The only real interactive part, however, is clicking the "Watch ---- in action!" button, which cuts a clip of the fighter in the movie. (Not very impressive.) Also, the DVD showcases new box art and includes a cover sleeve as well. Compared to the previous box art (for both the Japan and American releases), the presentation is pretty sad. Manga Video does include a small comic along with the movie, but it's really nothing special. The comic is essentially an ad for the Street Fighter graphic novels, and while it has some awesome art it is in no way a collectable or premium bonus item. If you want sweet Street Fighter art, just go buy the full graphic novel for just a few bucks.

Score: 2 out of 10

The Bottom Line
So taking everything into consideration, is the original cut and 5.1 audio really worth a re-purchase? That's going to be up to you. If you don't own a version of the film, this is truly the best one out there. If the original American uncut box is already on your shelves, however, you'll have to decide if a little more fan-service and a couple more frames of fighting are really worth it.

Overall: 7 out of 10
So what can we gather from that review?

Well, we can now be relieved in the fact that the DVD sports both the English and Japanese tracks, and both have been upped to a 5.1 mix. The video is now 1:85:1 instead of the Full-Frame transfer that was used on the original DVD, so the video will look better this time (just don't expect a mind-blowing transfer, considering the movie is over a decade old).

Hell, I'm getting it, as I'd rather have the uncut version on DVD than to download it from BitTorrent.

Now, we just need to hunt around trhe various stores and see which one will offer the best price for the DVD when it's released.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
RYU
Hoshi X Hayabusa

Member 173

Level 33.76

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2006, 02:34 PM Local time: Jul 5, 2006, 10:34 PM #21 of 36
who know site to make pre-order ?

Pyocola
Dried Goby

Member 2248

Level 17.65

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2006, 04:30 PM Local time: Jul 5, 2006, 10:30 PM #22 of 36
Originally Posted by RYU
who know site to make pre-order ?
There are a lot of them, you can pre-order it at DVD Pacific for instance.

ShinBojack
The Host With The Most

Member 8949

Level 6.75

Jun 2006

Old Jul 21, 2006, 12:15 AM #23 of 36
Well, just to give a quick update on here, I just picked the movie up at my local Best Buy for only $12.99.

Seems to be the cheapest price from the other places I've searched. Haven't had a chance to see the movie yet, but I'll give my impressions (as far as video/audio) when I watch it.

Oh yea, and the cover is still fugly. However, that fist is just a cardboard slipcase, and the cover on the actual DVD case itself is a group shot of all the characters. Seems to be comprised of screen grabs from the film itself, but it's still infinitely better than the "Fist" cover.

FELIPE NO
Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2006, 01:16 AM Local time: Jul 21, 2006, 12:16 AM #24 of 36
Picked this up on Tuesday as well. Haven't exactly given it a full viewing, but parts of it on the Japanese voice track. The subtitles are pretty good from the small bits I watched, with translations of the J-pop songs used in various scenes in the movie (pretty cool). Heh, and yes the full Chun-Li shower scene is intact. But if I remembered correctly, it was slighting edited in the english dub, I think the shot of rear was cut.

Kinda wish they made it 2 seperate discs instead of dual sided disc, as it'll be hard to keep both sides clean.

For bonuses, there's nothing special. The overhyped comic that came with the movie wasn't really anything special, just a little intro to Chun-Li encountering Bison's Cyborgs. But it's a nice little addition for fans of the comic series by Udon. Though, it ended up being a lot smaller than I expected.

BTW, has anyone actually seen the supposed sequel to the movie? Got the info from another forum, supposedly it's 30 minutes long. Anyway here's the item I'm talking, it's a boxset that comes with the "sequel" and an 8 issue manga/comic from 10 years ago. Title is "Street Fighter II RYU vs Yomigaeru Fujiwara-Kyo" (ストリートファイターII-RYU VS. よみがえる藤原京), which I think transalted Ryu vs revived Fujiwara capital.

http://www.capcomshop.jp/shop/goods/...?goods=1202196

Most amazing jew boots
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2006, 05:35 AM #25 of 36
This is definately new to me. At least now we can see what happened to Ryu when Bison was going to ram him with the truck.At least Chun Li still has her figure =p

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Street Fighter II To Be Re-released On DVD