Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

World of Warcraft movie

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 05:49 AM #1 of 49
World of Warcraft movie

At least Warner Bros has it so no Uwe Boll

Originally Posted by Comingsoon.net
Warner Bros.-based Legendary Pictures has picked up film rights to adapt the popular fantasy video game franchise World of Warcraft and will develop the project with game publisher Blizzard Entertainment, which is owned by Vivendi.

While the "Warcraft" franchise has been around for more than a decade, the most recent iteration, the megahit online title "World of Warcraft," has transformed the video game industry.

Unlike most games, where players pay $50 once and play until they're done, more than 6 million people around the world pay $14.99 per month to participate in the multiplayer game.

Legendary put up half the money for Warners' Batman Begins and the upcoming

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 05:58 AM #2 of 49
Hmm. They should hire the team that did The Lord of the Rings to do this. They would do a fantastic job.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 06:32 AM #3 of 49
Originally Posted by Mucknuggle
Hmm. They should hire the team that did The Lord of the Rings to do this. They would do a fantastic job.
I dunno, Warcraft has always had a cartoonier style and humor.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Jessykins
Burnt out on dealing with mortals

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 06:42 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 04:42 AM #4 of 49
I can understand adapting Warcraft, but World of Warcraft has the stories (quests) being told/enacted by millions of separate people/classes/races. It doesn't even make sense.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 07:03 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 09:03 PM #5 of 49
The original warcraft was fairly dark. Warcraft 2 was more vibrant and playful, but an excellent improvement from the first. Warcraft 3 took a more realistic aspect, which I thought was for the better. The graphic style was still bright and colorful, but the game itself wasnt.

WoW is a mixed message with a poorly defined plot, the opening movie seems fairly serious, but everything else... Its like the game is one big laughing matter; which never amused me. What plot will there be, and how why will anyone take it seriously? If the movie is more serious, then I think fans will be disapointed that it doesnt have that "light-hearted" feel the game does. Making a movie of WoW is setting up for a disaster on film... although with the fanbase, it could be lucrative regardless.

I was speaking idiomatically.
FFXI - Asura - Brd :3

Last edited by avanent; May 9, 2006 at 07:08 AM.
joey561
'The Bauer'

Member 6026

Level 4.85

May 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 07:08 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 12:08 PM 2 #6 of 49
This is ridiculous. When is Uwe Boll going to give up? The Resident Evil films SUCKED... He can't make videogame movies, period.

And thats EXCLUDING the fact that WoW would not work at all as a film. The only people who would go to see it are die-hard fans. Sure, there are a lot of them; but not enough to justify a movie.

It will FAIL.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
khan0plinger
OH YES LET ME DROWN IN IT

Member 983

Level 17.72

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 07:43 AM #7 of 49
Originally Posted by joey561
This is ridiculous. When is Uwe Boll going to give up? The Resident Evil films SUCKED... He can't make videogame movies, period.

And thats EXCLUDING the fact that WoW would not work at all as a film. The only people who would go to see it are die-hard fans. Sure, there are a lot of them; but not enough to justify a movie.

It will FAIL.
WTF. Where do you see anything about Uwe Boll having anything to do with it? I think its a bad idea imo, but depending on what they base the movie off of...it can be at least watchable. Sadly I think it will be a movie to appease the gamers instead of a decent fantasy movie (so expect a scene with dancing female nightelves :/ )

Most amazing jew boots
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 07:59 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 09:59 PM #8 of 49
Originally Posted by joey561
You are aware that Uwe Boll had nothing to do with RE, right? Please watch House fo the Dead, Blood Rayne, and Alone in the Dark to expierance Uwe Boll. If you can stomach them :/

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Gecko3
Good Chocobo

Member 991

Level 14.63

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 08:21 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 08:21 AM #9 of 49
This should be interesting. I think it could work, but only if they make it a CGI movie (watch the opening scene/trailer for WoW, it looks pretty awesome, and the dwarf in that video looks pretty realistic).

I don't know if I could take a live action version. A guy in a tauren suit would probably look too silly to be taken seriously, but if they go that route, they might as well throw in the break dancing orc too (which looks funny as heck, although kind of cool at the same time). "For Gondor! Uh, I mean, Stormwind!"

On a slight OT note, I remember seeing a GIF of WoW characters dancing ala the IPOD commercials, where you just see a silhouette of the person dancing (might've been EQ or DAOC too though). Was quite hiliarious, but I forgot to save it.

Most amazing jew boots
rpgcrazied
Good Chocobo

Member 540

Level 19.15

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 02:59 PM #10 of 49
Id rather have a animation, live action warcraft? I dont know about that one

Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 03:01 PM #11 of 49
Oh boy, a movie trilogy following a human warrior on his quest to ding 60!

I can't wait for the Scarlet Monastery scene, or better yet, the moment when they open the gates of Ahnwanwoeialhs-whatever.

joshi
be a man!

Member 1901

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 08:57 PM #12 of 49
so long as the movie's starring the orcs, it will be great.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Kimchi
Sup GFF faggots, who can't handle shit?

Member 552

Level 27.62

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2006, 03:52 AM #13 of 49
I don't quiet get it. How will the movie support such a big story?

I was speaking idiomatically.
FannKiba
Memories of Nobody

Member 2366

Level 4.68

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2006, 04:39 AM Local time: May 10, 2006, 02:39 AM #14 of 49
Originally Posted by joshi
so long as the movie's starring the orcs, it will be great.
Eww no. Orcs are like suck. I would say gnomes but LoTR ruined that for me with hobbits... It should be about the orphans growing up to be an adventurer you know. And like he/she is like a nameless hero (Gothic PC) and like you know they KILL the orcs and win the movie. Or for a twist that no one would suspect they kill the orcs and then get beaten down by the rest of the Horde.

So basically what I'm trying to say is as long as orcs are dying I don't care.

Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2006, 05:18 AM Local time: May 10, 2006, 02:18 AM #15 of 49
C'mon people. They're tacking on "World of" for name recognition. Or not. Because the only thing that has actually happened so far has been acquiring film rights. It's not like the first half hour would be a guild assembling a raid party. My guess is that story elements will most likely be taken from or loosely based on number three.

FELIPE NO

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
khan0plinger
OH YES LET ME DROWN IN IT

Member 983

Level 17.72

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2006, 09:13 AM #16 of 49
Originally Posted by Megalith
Who cares.

Can I get StarCraft.
Does anyone even like you? Hell if I were you, I'd even dislike myself.

Anyway...

I said before that this movie can go 1 of 2 ways. They can use it as a cash cow off of world of warcraft and simply appease the fans by doing some lame movie, or they can base it off of warcraft lore that is actually interesting. I wouldn't mind see something based off of Warcraft III/FT but theres no way to fit that all in one movie without making it suck. Sadly I know there is going to be a bunch of nerds ages 13-18 who are going to go see this expecting to see a group of 40 weird looking dressed people entering the molten core to kill Ragnoras. If the movie were based off of this or any other in game WoW content...it will suck big time.

The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2006, 10:01 AM #17 of 49
Megalith is right though. As much as I would hate to see a StarCraft movie, I also know quite a few people who still play it all these years later. It wouldn't be much different from the typical SciFi fare, but it would certainly attract a large audience.

They're not short on story resources at least. The game is filled with history books just laying around; each one filled with info about past epic quests. I wouldn't mind seeing the great war between the three Dwarf groups, climaxing with the summoning of Ragnaros.

As long as the movie doesn't involve Blackrock Depths or Gnomeregan, I'll be happy. After completing their quests once I never want to see those dungeons again.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2006, 10:39 AM Local time: May 11, 2006, 12:39 AM #18 of 49
Starcraft is quite outdated now... but the story remains strong. The cutscenes have a heavy cinematic feel to them already. WoW should of been WoS. Starcraft would also be an easier project, because theres only one game released so far, which means direction would be alot easier.

If they made a starcraft movie, and gave it the same feel as the cinematics... it could be a great film. And I imagine would do rather well on top of that.

Originally Posted by Knighthawk
I said before that this movie can go 1 of 2 ways. They can use it as a cash cow off of world of warcraft and simply appease the fans by doing some lame movie, or they can base it off of warcraft lore that is actually interesting. I wouldn't mind see something based off of Warcraft III/FT but theres no way to fit that all in one movie without making it suck. Sadly I know there is going to be a bunch of nerds ages 13-18 who are going to go see this expecting to see a group of 40 weird looking dressed people entering the molten core to kill Ragnoras. If the movie were based off of this or any other in game WoW content...it will suck big time.
My sentiments exactly.

Last edited by avanent; May 10, 2006 at 10:42 AM.
DarkLink2135
River Chocobo

Member 5122

Level 24.05

Apr 2006

Old May 10, 2006, 10:44 AM #19 of 49
I haven't seen a movie YET based on a video game that didn't completely suck. Advent Children being the only exception, I thought that was pretty spiffy. It didn't completely go over to appeal to a wide audience, and didn't completely depart from what the fans would want either, kind of a half-way-in-between sort of deal.

So if they pull this off, it would be the second movie ever based on a video game that was awesome. Then again, I haven't seen Silent Hill, I've heard that was pretty cool.

But yeah...I wonder why its so hard to make a good movie based off of a video game. Maybe they just need to shoot Uwe Boll for that to start happening.

FGSFDS!!!
Newbie1234
Widowmaker

Member 421

Level 18.72

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2006, 02:01 PM Local time: May 10, 2006, 04:01 PM #20 of 49
Originally Posted by DarkLink2135
I haven't seen a movie YET based on a video game that didn't completely suck. Advent Children being the only exception,
The original Mortal Kombat was good. Raiden & Johnny Cage were great fun.

I'd also rather see a StarCraft movie, and not yet another Lord of the Rings rip off.

Most amazing jew boots
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2006, 02:10 PM Local time: May 10, 2006, 01:10 PM #21 of 49
Originally Posted by Megalith
Who cares.

Can I get StarCraft.
Who cares.

Can I get Diablo.

Seriously.

Most amazing jew boots
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
DarkLink2135
River Chocobo

Member 5122

Level 24.05

Apr 2006

Old May 10, 2006, 02:10 PM #22 of 49
Originally Posted by Newbie1234
The original Mortal Kombat was good. Raiden & Johnny Cage were great fun.
Meh =/ it was merely OK, at least imho. But you are right, I guess its another one that didn't completely suck.

Quote:
I'd also rather see a StarCraft movie, and not yet another Lord of the Rings rip off.
Amen! There was so much story potential in Starcraft as to what was going on behind the scenes. Anybody remember the opening cinematic to Brood War? You could build quite a lot off of that...maybe even have the movie open with that cinematic as kind of a nostalgia factor or something.

FGSFDS!!!
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2006, 02:22 PM Local time: May 11, 2006, 04:22 AM #23 of 49
Originally Posted by DarkLink2135
maybe even have the movie open with that cinematic as kind of a nostalgia factor or something.
no. Perhaps a reinactment, but not the fmv itself. Thsoe graphics are outdated now and would cause quite a sitnk. In addition, they werent made fo rthe big screen and thus wouldn't look so good at a projection of that magnitude.

FELIPE NO
DarkLink2135
River Chocobo

Member 5122

Level 24.05

Apr 2006

Old May 10, 2006, 02:25 PM #24 of 49
Originally Posted by avanent
no. Perhaps a reinactment, but not the fmv itself. Thsoe graphics are outdated now and would cause quite a sitnk. In addition, they werent made fo rthe big screen and thus wouldn't look so good at a projection of that magnitude.
lol, good point. It looks like shit on my 1280x1024 LCD.

FGSFDS!!!
Mojougwe
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 255

Level 20.88

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2006, 03:50 PM #25 of 49
I wonder if it's going to be live action or CG. The style of cinematic used in WC3 and WoW would be awesome, if they have any brains left to do it that way.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > World of Warcraft movie