Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] Japan's Superior Sound?

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2008, 09:53 AM 1 #1 of 13
Japan's Superior Sound?

Once in a while, I buy import CDs. A lot of times its from one vendor from Japan. It always arrives quickly and in excellent condition and his prices are very reasonable - but I've noticed he's been posting blurbs about the sound quality on Japanese CDs. Namely "MANUFACTURED IN JAPAN FOR SUPERIOR SOUND"

To me, that sounds like empty buzzwords. Is there any truth to it at all? I can't imagine the mastering being any big improvement.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
anoney
anonymous..?

Member 8763

Level 4.40

Jun 2006

Old Aug 18, 2008, 11:43 AM 1 #2 of 13
empty buzzwords. the japanese just like to think their stuff is better than the rest of the world

There's nowhere I can't reach.
ウホッ…いい男…

…やらないか?
yevheniy
Євгеній

Member 27697

Level 10.88

Jan 2008

Old Aug 18, 2008, 12:43 PM Local time: Aug 18, 2008, 11:43 AM 1 #3 of 13
When they say that I'm sure their base of comparison is the rest of Asia and not necessarily the whole world. Most Japanese albums I've listened sound slightly better than many I've listened to from China and especially Korea.

Anyone with minimum knowledge of mastering and mixing should be able to create a pretty nice album though. In the end, it probably is just a buzzword much like "Made in America" is...

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by yevheniy; Aug 18, 2008 at 12:48 PM. Reason: O_o;;
ramoth
ACER BANDIT

Member 692

Level 35.27

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2008, 04:17 PM Local time: Aug 18, 2008, 01:17 PM 1 #4 of 13
Once in a while, I buy import CDs. A lot of times its from one vendor from Japan. It always arrives quickly and in excellent condition and his prices are very reasonable - but I've noticed he's been posting blurbs about the sound quality on Japanese CDs. Namely "MANUFACTURED IN JAPAN FOR SUPERIOR SOUND"

To me, that sounds like empty buzzwords. Is there any truth to it at all? I can't imagine the mastering being any big improvement.
It's possible, I suppose, that the quality of Japanese mastering engineers is on average higher, or that Japanese mastering and stamping houses have access to better equipment.

What's likely is that this is yet more nationalistic Japanese bullshit. Just like how Japanese men claim that their penises get harder than the penises of other races. Yup, they literally do. Example:

Originally Posted by http://japundit.com/archives/2005/11/28/1601/
I’m a Japanese man in my 30’s and used to live in the USA for 10 years. I don’t really see the big difference between white men’s dick and Asians’ in terms of size. The size of average white men’s dick can be smaller than Asian’s dick. I would rather note that white men’s dick are much softer without a bone than Asian’s. I’m just telling the truth here. Asian’s dick gets much harder than white’s one. White women I slept with always told me that Asian’s dick are much harder than white men, and the size is not as small as some white men say.:lol:
Emphasis mine, emoticon his.

So yeah, yet more nationalistic Japanese bullshit.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Secret Squirrel
River Chocobo

Member 89

Level 24.44

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2008, 04:34 PM 1 #5 of 13
Is it possible that this is referring to a production or distribution company called "Superior Sound" that has its discs manufactured in Japan?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Slightly Dark -- updated weekly with rare out-of-print game music.
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2008, 04:42 PM 1 #6 of 13
Is it possible that this is referring to a production or distribution company called "Superior Sound" that has its discs manufactured in Japan?
I'll be able to answer that when I get the CD in the mail.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2008, 06:31 PM 1 #7 of 13
This is a just a case of Japanese egotism and marketing speak, but in Asian countries, HDCD encoding is somewhat popular---it's essentially regular CDs with added bits, but the difference in sound quality seems negligible.

Also, how does anything in Japan have a superior sound, when you can't even fit a speaker into a house there.

FELIPE NO
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2008, 08:37 PM Local time: Aug 18, 2008, 07:37 PM 1 #8 of 13
Well, the true Japanese audiophile actually lives in his extremely high quality {but still small} speaker.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2008, 07:00 AM Local time: Aug 19, 2008, 10:00 PM 1 #9 of 13
Dragon Dragon Refridgerator Destiny VII OST - The Original 8-bit NES OSV in SUPERIOR JAPANESE 24/48

/fuckdiculousness

Jam it back in, in the dark.
LlooooydGEEEOOORGE
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Aug 19, 2008, 08:20 AM Local time: Aug 19, 2008, 09:20 PM 1 #10 of 13
What are you all bristling about, obviously he's assuring you guys that the disc wasn't manufactured or mastered by slave children in Taiwan or Bangladesh or Papua New Fucking Guinea.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kimchi
Sup GFF faggots, who can't handle shit?

Member 552

Level 27.62

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:46 AM 1 #11 of 13
What are you all bristling about, obviously he's assuring you guys that the disc wasn't manufactured or mastered by slave children in Taiwan or Bangladesh or Papua New Fucking Guinea.
I had to laugh on that one.

Anyways, I find the sound quality depends on the artist and the label rather than the country its from.

How ya doing, buddy?
ramoth
ACER BANDIT

Member 692

Level 35.27

Mar 2006

Old Aug 20, 2008, 12:25 PM Local time: Aug 20, 2008, 09:25 AM 2 #12 of 13
Actually the disc and jewel case probably were made in one of those countries, and it was just stamped in Japan.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Aug 20, 2008, 12:33 PM Local time: Aug 20, 2008, 11:33 AM 2 #13 of 13
Of course it's more propaganda for Japan, but I do have one Japanese drama disc that I swear, when I put it in the CD player, sounds like I'm in a room full of honest-to-God gay Japanese men. It has damn good sound. But then again, I have an LP from Bedknobs and Broomsticks that has the same effect, so meh.

I'm gonna agree with the "superior sound compared to Taiwanese copies" argument, though.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Album] Japan's Superior Sound?