Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

The Story of Stuff

Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Feb 25, 2008, 01:19 AM Local time: Feb 25, 2008, 02:19 PM 1 #1 of 7
The Story of Stuff

Annie Leonard explains the materials economy in a 20-minute video clip. Preaches environmental sustainability while she's at it.

But personally, she does raise some good points to think about, especially regarding the consumerist culture.

Download the entire movie in MOV (54 MB) or watch the Youtube videos:

Part 1: Introduction
YouTube Video

Videos continue below...:
Part 2: Extraction
YouTube Video

Part 3: Production
YouTube Video

Part 4: Distribution
YouTube Video

Part 5: Consumption
YouTube Video

Part 6: Disposal
YouTube Video

Part 7: Another Way
YouTube Video

Companion website: http://www.storyofstuff.org/resources.html

So, alarmist environmental shill? Intriguing premise? What do you think?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Zephyrin
OOOHHHHhhhhhh YEEEEAAAAHHHHhhhh~!!!1

Member 933

Level 36.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:08 PM Local time: Feb 26, 2008, 09:08 PM #2 of 7
Absolutely fucking true. Makes me happy about fixing things, so I don't throw them away.

I also saw this documentary, which was very enlightening. You don't have to buy it to watch it, get it from the local library. Mine has three copies and none are probably checked out.

The Corporation Film: Welcome

There's nowhere I can't reach.
HolyCaribou
Premium Quality

Member 4230

Level 3.93

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2008, 05:43 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2008, 10:43 PM #3 of 7
The Story of Stuff was very eye opening. Thank you for posting that. She's very right in saying that our consumer market was created by people and that we can fix it as people. If you think about where the US economy has all it's focus, I am doubting if anything can happen quickly enough. We would need to stop investing so much money in the military and begin investing in education so that future generations will be able to make the switch. That's a very loaded and idealogical proposition.

The building of our military is trapped in the same consumer market that everyone else is. Ever since Regan, the government has been buying as many missiles as is possible from American arms companies because this boosts our economy. What America hadn't thought of yet is that this is nothing more than a quick fix that surely can't sustain us forever. In fact, it has done nothing more than to spread economic and chemical pollution to other countries (most of which are now worse off than we are). It's hard for me to come to terms with this. I mean, seriously: How dare they!

On a side note - I haven't checked out that Corporation Film yet, but it looks very interesting.

It's frustrating to know that the American government is ruining our planet in the name of our economy. I'm still patriotic as all hell, but only in the sense that I know we can make a change. However, I doubt that I will live to see it - and that is depressing.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Zephyrin
OOOHHHHhhhhhh YEEEEAAAAHHHHhhhh~!!!1

Member 933

Level 36.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2008, 06:35 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2008, 04:35 PM #4 of 7
Well, since the price of almost everything relates to the price of oil, peak oil will probably cause a small step towards more economical and environment friendly consumer practices as prices will rise steeply. It may not be enough, however, till it's too late.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
HolyCaribou
Premium Quality

Member 4230

Level 3.93

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2008, 11:45 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2008, 04:45 PM #5 of 7
Here's a cool article about the world consumer economy that was in the New York Times. The only thing the US can offer other countries right now is security and defense because of our immense military. While China and the EU are boosting their economy, the US is getting left behind because we simply can't keep up in international business (and our foreign relationships suck). This is definitely our military-consumerist economy working against us.

(btw, there are a few pages copied twice)

I agree with the oil comment, but what'll happen when oil companies start exporting more to other countries instead of us? Our economy will definitely slow down, but the rest of the world will get just as caught up in it as we are. That's even more depressing.

Most amazing jew boots
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Mar 6, 2008, 12:39 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2008, 12:39 PM #6 of 7
Government was good before KKKORPORATIONS!!!!!!!!! :angry:

Consumer culture will never go away, and we'll always keep trying to consume more stuff, but I think the future will involve more consumption of digital products than real ones so that energy becomes the primary element of consumption.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Tagonist
The Age of Legends

Member 22583

Level 14.69

May 2007

Old Mar 15, 2008, 05:51 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2008, 12:51 PM #7 of 7
I was always halfway from expecting the whole thing to go satire-propaganda style.

"We would need 4-5 planets to keep this up. That's why the people at the Liberty Aerospace Conglomerate are working hard every day to provide us with new planets!"

"Remember, contribute to the Golden Arrow of Consumption, if YOU and YOUR FAMILY want to be WORTH anything to OUR SOCIETY!"

Dammit. Now I want to do this corporate propaganda film. *_*

FELIPE NO

These are the Books of Harrow
They are our doom and our salvation
Learn from them, or we will all perish

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > The Story of Stuff