Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Reading

Zephyrin
OOOHHHHhhhhhh YEEEEAAAAHHHHhhhh~!!!1

Member 933

Level 36.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 24, 2008, 04:54 PM Local time: Feb 24, 2008, 02:54 PM #1 of 18
Reading

Alright. I've been trying to read some books lately, but I seem to start getting antsy after about 30 minutes to an hour sometimes and just wanna shut it and do something else.

Is there anything you guys do when you read to help you concentrate or just calm down and enjoy the book?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Feb 24, 2008, 05:01 PM Local time: Feb 24, 2008, 04:01 PM #2 of 18
If that happens, it's usually an indication that it's not a very good book. Unless it's a book you have to read that you're talking about, I'd suggest choosing a different one.

Most amazing jew boots
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Feb 24, 2008, 05:18 PM #3 of 18
If that happens, it's usually an indication that it's not a very good book. Unless it's a book you have to read that you're talking about, I'd suggest choosing a different one.
This is what I was going to say.

I get antsy and annoyed after 30 minutes with a book I am not enjoying.

But if you find a book that really appeals to you - something with a style you like, a great plot, or whatever you like - you get sucked right in and can't put it down.

I'm EXTREMELY picky when it comes to reading. I really don't get "sucked into" a lot of books. It takes a lot of trial and error with my reading tastes.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
samari
Psychedelic.

Member 742

Level 5.67

Mar 2006

Old Feb 24, 2008, 07:35 PM Local time: Feb 24, 2008, 07:35 PM #4 of 18
I always have to block out time during my day to actually read, otherwise I won't end up enjoying it; if I try to sit down randomly and read I'll get bored after a while, even if it's a book that I enjoy. I guess I have to put myself in a reading mindset first. And I'm the kind of person who has to have it completely quiet while I read for enjoyment, because I want to fully engross myself in the book, so that means no TV or music or annoying roommates being stupid while I try to read.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

And thanks for stopping by.
Bernard Black
I don't mean this in a bad way, but genetically you are a cul-de-sac

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Feb 24, 2008, 07:43 PM Local time: Feb 25, 2008, 12:43 AM #5 of 18
Actuallly I think it's just a matter of willpower. When I started reading Robin Hobb's stuff I found the first book of the Farseer Trilogy very difficult to get into, but after persevering I was obsessed. The same goes for a lot of my favourite literature. If you're not hooked by at least the 4th chapter (in terms of fantasy chapters, ie. more than 2 pages long) then it's obviously not a book you'll enjoy. Just try continuing for a while; sometimes the best books are hard to get into.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Minoko
夢唄

Member 1108

Level 18.07

Mar 2006

Old Feb 24, 2008, 11:01 PM Local time: Feb 25, 2008, 12:01 PM #6 of 18
In a way I have to get into a book I buy.... I usually don't have enough money to buy the book I want . I guess it can't be helped if you can't get into the book. First of, wjy did you start reading the book?

Originally Posted by Bernard Black
The same goes for a lot of my favourite literature. If you're not hooked by at least the 4th chapter (in terms of fantasy chapters, ie. more than 2 pages long) then it's obviously not a book you'll enjoy. Just try continuing for a while; sometimes the best books are hard to get into.
It took me a whole solid book before I started to like Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow and Thorn Series. I think it really depends how the author brings the story out. Some people find it too slow or just plain confusing.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

from the makers of Death Note!! Bakuman.
Am happy..because AgitoXIII and Parasite Eve 3 is a comin to the PSP!!
Rollins
"It's strips like this that differentiate us from Ziggy."

Member 51

Level 17.24

Mar 2006

Old Feb 25, 2008, 12:22 AM Local time: Feb 24, 2008, 10:22 PM #7 of 18
I've rarely bought books at full-price just for the reason that I'll be afraid I'll lose interest, put it down and waste my money. Luckily I've been surrounded by a few used book stores, but it's not always an option for everyone.

I usually multi-task in my reading with chores that don't need my attention. If I don't have any appointment for a lunch hour, I'll read a book while eating. This is how I pretty much devoured many books, my interest was piqued at lunch and I ended up finishing them in bed.

When it comes down to it, you'll just need to set aside time in your schedule to read. Easier said than done for a lot of us though. But if you don't want yourself sucked into a book after say 20% of the book, it might not be worth your time. (I usually give authors that much leeway to get me involved).

How ya doing, buddy?

| blog | last.fm | chocojournal = unnecessary |
Franky Mikey
Bonkler

Member 6

Level 39.27

Feb 2006

Old Feb 25, 2008, 01:03 AM Local time: Feb 25, 2008, 07:03 AM #8 of 18
I enjoy reading, but I seldom read for more than 30 minutes in one sitting. There's no magic trick really, just keep reading regularly, once or twice a day, and you'll definitely get somewhere.

Also, make the best of the time where you can't really do much else: public transportation, waiting rooms, etc. I read most of War and Peace during my daily commute.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

[ recordings |videos| blog ]
[ 18:14:09 ] [ +Garr ] Setting up form unreal troanmetn
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Feb 25, 2008, 01:46 AM #9 of 18
I honestly hate reading... School related crap especially. I can't even stand to read more than 15 minutes. Odds are, I'll probably doze off and wake up with the book crumpled by the time I awake.

However, if it's a book I like, then I'll probably spend a little more time. At most a half hour before I start getting tired. Although it's rare for me to find a book I like.

Temari
I'm changing the world. And you're gonna help.

Member 16658

Level 28.10

Dec 2006

Old Feb 25, 2008, 02:08 AM #10 of 18
I can read in almost any situation... music, tv, people talking, night, day... if its a good book I wont get distracted easily. But then there's the perfect reading situation.

You may just need to figure out how you're most comfortable reading, where you find it easiest to concentrate. Neck hurt after reading in a chair for half an hour? Lay down in bed. Like it quiet, but not too quiet? Turn on a fan. There are a lot of small things that may take away from concentration or enjoyment of the book. I suppose it comes down to just experimenting with what's best for you.

But then, the others could be right, and it could just be a bad book.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Gray
Resident Psychopath

Member 28289

Level 2.12

Feb 2008

Old Feb 25, 2008, 09:04 PM 1 #11 of 18
You either have ADD or very bad taste in books.

Try taking a book around with you everywhere, and whenever you have a spare moment, open it up and read. Usually your surroundings are of much greater boredom than the book, assuming it's a good book to start with. Textbooks are good toilet reading, too.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
RisingPhoenix
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 28098

Level 2.50

Feb 2008

Old Feb 26, 2008, 06:47 AM #12 of 18
I've had the problem actually. I used to read a helluva lot and now I can't find a book good enough to keep me interested long enough. I can't even reread old classics. I don't know why I can't sit down and read anymore...it's very frustrating. :\

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:41 AM Local time: Feb 26, 2008, 10:41 AM #13 of 18
I've found my ability to read comes and goes in waves. For about a 3 month period i'm able to sit down and read a book and i'm much more inclined to read it more often and for loner periods of time. After that, i enter a time of about 3 or 4 months were i'm just how you described. completely antsy, and totally unable to focus on the book.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Feb 26, 2008, 03:45 PM Local time: Feb 26, 2008, 08:45 PM #14 of 18
Whether or not I like a book after spending an hour awkwardly trudging through it it is irrelevant. I always finish every novel I start. I usually feel like a moron if I hate it afterwards, but since I have good judgement most of the time, that doesn't happen often.

After reading two or three pages of anything, it's difficult to get distracted.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Trigunnerz
!!!

Member 814

Level 22.27

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2008, 04:04 PM Local time: Feb 26, 2008, 01:04 PM #15 of 18
Maybe all of you guys have some mild form of ADD.

You can always try those books listed under the New York Times Best Seller.

FELIPE NO

Dance party!
H-H
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 28162

Level 1.47

Feb 2008

Old Feb 26, 2008, 04:49 PM Local time: Feb 26, 2008, 10:49 PM #16 of 18
I finished the Da Vinci Code; I didn't feel like a moron but boy I hated it. It was so bad it was worth get through it just to claim the rights to completely slag it off.

I do have a strange tendency to fall asleep 5-10 minutes into reading, no matter how drawn in I am to the book. Robin Hobb's novels were the only ones I had been able to read for hours non-stop. Who knows, may be you should give her a try!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Validur
youngsauce

Member 27050

Level 2.50

Dec 2007

Old Feb 27, 2008, 10:16 AM #17 of 18
As long as it's a book I want to read, I will enjoy reading it and not doze off while attempting to read it.

Now, if it's a book that I have no idea what it's about and I hate it with all the disgust in the world (I.E. "The View from Saturday"), then most likely I will either:
1. Burn it.
2. Soak it in water.
3. Not read it.
4. Throw it away.
OR
5. Give it to an unsuspecting ten year old and tell them that it is a wonderful book.

Otherwise, I love reading.

eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Feb 27, 2008, 10:20 AM Local time: Feb 27, 2008, 10:20 PM #18 of 18
this is what happens to me at the moment, while reading Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. I admitted, I kinda overated him after reading Anansi's boys like crazy, never thought his works could bore me out though, or perhaps I just couldn't concentrate to read anything because of thesis.

Anyway, I usually put a bookmark, and read the book again later, very slowly. I guess your mind must be relaxed first, otherwise it's hard to concentrate.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Reading