Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Global warming isn't real. God told me.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 18, 2010, 01:07 AM Local time: Nov 18, 2010, 12:07 AM #1 of 7
Global warming isn't real. God told me.

Originally Posted by dailymail
A Republican congressman hoping to chair the powerful House Energy Committee refers to the Bible and God on the issue of global warming.
Representative John Shimkus insists we shouldn't concerned about the planet being destroyed because God promised Noah it wouldn't happen again after the great flood.
Speaking before a House Energy Subcommittee on Energy and Environment hearing in March, 2009, Shimkus quoted Chapter 8, Verse 22 of the Book of Genesis.
He said: 'As long as the earth endures, seed time and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, will never cease.'

Whhhhaaa?

Quote:

The Illinois Republican continued: 'I believe that is the infallible word of God, and that's the way it is going to be for his creation.
'The earth will end only when God declares its time to be over. Man will not destroy this earth. This earth will not be destroyed by a flood.
He added: 'Today we have about 388 parts per million in the atmosphere. I think in the age of dinosaurs, when we had the most flora and fauna, we were probably at 4,000 parts per million. There is a theological debate that this is a carbon-starved planet — not too much carbon. And the cost of a cap-and-trade on the poor is now being discovered.'
The Republican is a vocal opponent to President Obama's American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009 - the so-called 'cap-and-trade' Bill, aimed at limiting carbon emissions.
The Bill passed the House of Representatives last year, but has yet to pass the Senate.

No, he can't possibly have a say in this...

Quote:
Shimkus, who has served on the committee since 1997, will likely be competing against Texas Representative Joe Barton and Michigan Congressman Fred Upton for the leadership.
In a letter to fellow Republican Congressmembers, Shimkus says: 'I believe I have the credentials within the Commitee to bring fairness, without protests from the other side of the aisle, in its operation.'
He adds that 'now is not the time to moderate or compromise on our most deeply held values'.
It is not the first time Shimkus has sparked surprise. In May 2007, he compared the Iraq war to a baseball game between his 'beloved' St Louis Cardinals and the 'much despised' Chicago Cubs.
He also hit the headlines in 2009 when he walked out as President Obama delivered a speech to a joint session of the House and the Senate.
The Committee on Energy and Commerce, to give it its full title, is one of the oldest standing committees of the United States House of Representatives having been established in 1795.

It takes a central role in formulating U.S. policy on climate change and global warming.

I need an American voice on this. I know not all Americans are stupid, I know that deep down, but how do you explain an elected official like this? I mean, is there any sort of defense for this level of ineptitude being given a very real shot at running one of the core committees that will decide US policy concerning global warming?

Because goddamn.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Nov 18, 2010, 01:10 AM Local time: Nov 17, 2010, 11:10 PM #2 of 7
We're American. What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
LIAR
AND ITS-A ME, WA WA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Member 77

Level 22.22

Mar 2006

Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:13 AM Local time: Nov 18, 2010, 08:13 AM #3 of 7
This thread reminds me of the creationists who don't believe we'll run out of fossil fuels because crude oil, coal, and natural gas is only -- at most -- 6,000 years old, so the planet will be able to make more in no time. We're not in short supply, why are we bothering with alternative fuels!?

This stuff is why separation of church and state exist, its just a shame that one of the fundamental rules of our government is ignored by, well, government. Seems people like this love to ignore science as well, because scientific fact has nothing on what a book says!

I don't question people's beliefs, because hey, believe what you want. But when it starts affecting my own life, I feel the need to say something. It kinda bugs me how some people can blindly follow what a book says. For all we know, the Bible was written by someone doing some pretty heavy drugs back in the day, the town drunk picked it up and believed it to be true, and began spreading the word. Eventually some people believed it and bam, religion. But hey, thats just my thought on it. Believe in a higher power if thats what helps you along, but don't use a book's passages as an excuse to dismiss research.

Ugh, must end rant.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Nov 18, 2010, 04:14 PM #4 of 7
It's like the America that gets portrayed in media is intentionally zealous to one-up the extreme Muslim rhetoric. Both sides just become more and more... surreal.

As an American, all I can say from my personal perspective is that it's all one giant fucking circus, put on for the amusement, fear, pandering, and chuckles that the American people will put out. I really don't think these Congressmen and Senators believe the shit that falls out of their mouths. I can't possibly believe that. They're grasping at straws to keep big oil happy I imagine, and in grasping at straws, one usually invokes religion. Makes sense, doesn't it? (Maybe only in my warped mind )

On both sides of the fence, all you see are old white men riding large animals from far away places, while waving their hats, smelling like shit. No wonder the American population feels so alienated from Washington. It's a fucking mad house.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Poopsie
Banned

Member 32253

Level 2.97

Nov 2008

Old Nov 19, 2010, 03:17 PM Local time: Nov 19, 2010, 12:17 PM 1 #5 of 7
Can you rely on a congressman to establish peace between a climate and an animal? If not, then ask your president.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > Global warming isn't real. God told me.