Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

New US $1 Coins - Now With Wives!

Drex
i like presents

Member 973

Level 35.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 16, 2006, 03:08 AM Local time: Dec 16, 2006, 02:08 AM #1 of 18
New US $1 Coins - Now With Wives!

So I'd heard about the new $1 coins featuring a president of the US every 3 months in an effort to boost the popularity and usage of the ill-received dollar coin, but this is the first I heard about the additional measure to feature coins with the accompanying first ladies:

Quote:
from CNN
Not to be outdone by their husbands, the first ladies are getting their chance to shine on the nation's coins. Starting next year, Martha Washington, Abigail Adams and all the rest will begin appearing on a new series of gold coins.

It will be the first time that the U.S. Mint has produced a series featuring women.

While a new presidential series will be $1 circulating coins, the wives will be on half-ounce gold coins with each likely to sell for more than $300.

The half-ounce gold coins for the spouses have been designed to appeal primarily to collectors, although the Mint will be offering bronze medal duplicates that will sell for a more affordable $3 to $4.
It's an interesting idea. A shame that they won't be typically used currency, but very interesting in terms of collecting and the fact that it's the first such series of women-based coins we've had.

Also, I intend to use the new $1 coins. I try to use the Sacagawea dollars (and succeed best when around vending machines), but it's just so difficult to spell Sacagawea that it could never work between us.

How ya doing, buddy?
Chibi Neko
The hell am I doing here?

Member 922

Level 27.65

Mar 2006

Old Dec 16, 2006, 07:52 AM Local time: Dec 16, 2006, 09:22 AM #2 of 18
Yay! More coins for my collection!

My father is a trucker and goes to the states often, he brings back the collecteor 25 cent coins for me. I have a map of the USA where you place the coin on the state it represents. I am close to having it completed.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kolba
-

Member 446

Level 30.06

Mar 2006

Old Dec 16, 2006, 08:23 AM Local time: Dec 16, 2006, 02:23 PM #3 of 18
Aren't these just some woman who haven't done much besides marry politicians? Maybe presidential family pets could feature on a different circulation.

How ya doing, buddy?
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Dec 16, 2006, 08:33 AM Local time: Dec 16, 2006, 02:33 PM #4 of 18
In the UK the pound coin has phased out the pound note, a long time ago. Whenever I've been visiting the US, it always seems vaguely strange to me to be using paper money for an amount as small as one dollar. I find it far more interesting that there are attempts currently in progress to popularise the idea of the dollar coin than these designs featuring the wives of the presidents.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Drex
i like presents

Member 973

Level 35.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 16, 2006, 11:11 AM Local time: Dec 16, 2006, 10:11 AM #5 of 18
Originally Posted by Kolba
Aren't these just some woman who haven't done much besides marry politicians? Maybe presidential family pets could feature on a different circulation.
That's part of the point - to educate us on what the wives of the presidents actually accomplished for the country. Some first ladies have been pretty proactive in pushing agendas.

As for the popularity of dollar coins at all, Americans are just stubborn. Don't know why we'd be stubborn about something like dollar coins, but whaddyagonnado. We just don't think to use them most of the time, or don't like carrying change around, and it seems like cashiers never hand them out unless you ask for them (I think that's the root of the problem, personally).

I was speaking idiomatically.
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Dec 16, 2006, 11:19 AM Local time: Dec 16, 2006, 11:19 AM #6 of 18
Well, as far as I know, First Ladies didn't truly become politically active (to a significant extent) until Eleanor Roosevelt.

Looking forward to Checkers appearing on a coin =D

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Drex
i like presents

Member 973

Level 35.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 16, 2006, 11:24 AM Local time: Dec 16, 2006, 10:24 AM #7 of 18
Quote:
from the article
The first coin in the series features a stern-looking Martha Washington, wearing a bonnet. On one side there is a depiction of her mending a soldier's jacket and on the other side the phrase, "First Lady of the Continental Army."

The drawing of Dolley Madison, wife of James Madison, the fourth president, shows her in front of the famous George Washington portrait that she saved before the British burned the White House in the War of 1812.

Thomas Jefferson's wife died before he became president, so the gold coin for his administration will feature a symbolic representation of Lady Liberty that appeared on a half-cent coin during the time Jefferson was president.

Jefferson was one of five presidents who were not married during their time in the White House.
So it's got historical facts, mostly, I guess. I suppose it would depend on the first lady in question, since people like Barbara Bush stood up for things like education but didn't do much that would end up in anything but the most comprehensive histories.

FELIPE NO
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Dec 16, 2006, 12:12 PM #8 of 18
Why don't they just go for the first down and put out VP $1 coins.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Gecko3
Good Chocobo

Member 991

Level 14.63

Mar 2006

Old Dec 16, 2006, 01:21 PM Local time: Dec 16, 2006, 01:21 PM #9 of 18
I doubt these will catch on for the most part. Dollar coins haven't been very popular in the US historically because they're so similar to quarters in size (and before the "gold" coins came out, design as well) that people get confused when they got dollar coins at all.

Plus people are so used to one dollar bills that it's hard for most of us to accept a coin of the same value (particularly as coins are very inconvenient to carry around in large amounts. You try carrying around $10 in change sometime, vs. ten $1 bills, and you'll see what I mean lol).

The only place I've seen dollar coins at all either is change at the Post Office when I'm buying stamps and use a large bill. I suppose banks use them, but I haven't seen it at all yet really there (they usually just give me notes rather than coins, but I usually don't ask for change either).

If they really want to do this stuff, they should just revamp the quarter, since those are the most popular US coins to use for transactions.

And on this note, they should get rid of the 50 cent coin too (if they haven't already that is). I think this coin is even more useless than a dollar coin, again, thanks to the quarter.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Kolba
-

Member 446

Level 30.06

Mar 2006

Old Dec 16, 2006, 01:54 PM Local time: Dec 16, 2006, 07:54 PM #10 of 18
Originally Posted by Devoxycontin
I don't understand why these "wives" are coming on coins before female war combatants and suffragists (other than Susan B Anthony.)
Because of a sort of hero worship afforded by the US public to the office of President of the United States, I'll wager.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Dec 16, 2006, 04:33 PM Local time: Dec 16, 2006, 04:33 PM #11 of 18
I would have thought there would have been a better idea for a coin collector than adding the first ladies on the coins. But then again, they have used a lot of different ideas already. Next time, it might be one of the Presidents' kids (If he had any).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Such a Lust for Revenge!
Where's Kostaki!?

Member 9287

Level 40.98

Jul 2006

Old Dec 16, 2006, 04:44 PM Local time: Dec 16, 2006, 03:44 PM #12 of 18
Cool idea. Too bad I don't collect.
Originally Posted by Kolba
Among the ones already mentioned in here, John Adams wife Abigail came to mind. And does anyone know if Dolly Madison, the wife of James Madison, had anything to do with the company that makes those awesome sweets nowadays?
Originally Posted by Soluzar
Whenever I've been visiting the US, it always seems vaguely strange to me to be using paper money for an amount as small as one dollar.
And because I'm American this country I'm in, Guatemala, frustrates me even more for a related reason. Smallest bill here, a 5Q note, is roughly 65 cents. The largest is worth between thirteen and fourteen dollars. Which is ridiculous because people always seem to pay with these and making change gets to be a bitch.

Devo, probably because they'd go hand in hand with their significant other. Keeping with the primary theme of DEAD PRESIDENTS and now their wives.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Drex
i like presents

Member 973

Level 35.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 16, 2006, 06:30 PM Local time: Dec 16, 2006, 05:30 PM #13 of 18
Maybe they'll move on to something like that once the states quarters series runs out. I don't imagine they'll want to run the states again, so they'll have to do something with the quarter.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Dec 16, 2006, 06:36 PM Local time: Dec 17, 2006, 12:36 AM #14 of 18
Originally Posted by OctoberOmicron
And because I'm American this country I'm in, Guatemala, frustrates me even more for a related reason. Smallest bill here, a 5Q note, is roughly 65 cents. The largest is worth between thirteen and fourteen dollars. Which is ridiculous because people always seem to pay with these and making change gets to be a bitch.
That small of a size for the largest denomination seems quite ridiculous, but is fourteen bucks worth more in the context of the Guatemalan economy than I might expect?

As for carrying around paper money worth 65 cents, that would probably make me crazy. I find it easier to handle coinage, for small amounts. For one thing, vending machines and public phones like it better than bills.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Such a Lust for Revenge!
Where's Kostaki!?

Member 9287

Level 40.98

Jul 2006

Old Dec 16, 2006, 09:03 PM Local time: Dec 16, 2006, 08:03 PM #15 of 18
The only thing that's cheaper here than in the States is food. And the biggest note is 100Q, which is what I mentioned earlier. Sounds kinda silly when you have to pay nearly three thousand Q for a decent cell phone.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > New US $1 Coins - Now With Wives!