Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Top 25 Censored Stories of 2007

Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Jan 4, 2007, 04:28 PM #1 of 10
Top 25 Censored Stories of 2007

Source

I couldn't possibly quote the whole thing, but rather the highlights of each one.

Quote:
#1 Future of Internet Debate Ignored by Media

Throughout 2005 and 2006, a large underground debate raged regarding the future of the Internet. More recently referred to as “network neutrality,” the issue has become a tug of war with cable companies on the one hand and consumers and Internet service providers on the other. Yet despite important legislative proposals and Supreme Court decisions throughout 2005, the issue was almost completely ignored in the headlines until 2006.1 And, except for occasional coverage on CNBC’s Kudlow & Kramer, mainstream television remains hands-off to this day (June 2006).2

#2 Halliburton Charged with Selling Nuclear Technologies to Iran

According to journalist Jason Leopold, sources at former Cheney company Halliburton allege that, as recently as January of 2005, Halliburton sold key components for a nuclear reactor to an Iranian oil development company. Leopold says his Halliburton sources have intimate knowledge of the business dealings of both Halliburton and Oriental Oil Kish, one of Iran’s largest private oil companies.

#3 Oceans of the World in Extreme Danger

Oceanic problems once found on a local scale are now pandemic. Data from oceanography, marine biology, meteorology, fishery science, and glaciology reveal that the seas are changing in ominous ways. A vortex of cause and effect wrought by global environmental dilemmas is changing the ocean from a watery horizon with assorted regional troubles to a global system in alarming distress.

#4 Hunger and Homelessness Increasing in the US

The number of hungry and homeless people in U.S. cities continued to grow in 2005, despite claims of an improved economy. Increased demand for vital services rose as needs of the most destitute went unmet, according to the annual U.S. Conference of Mayors Report, which has documented increasing need since its 1982 inception.

#5 High-Tech Genocide in Congo

The world’s most neglected emergency, according to the UN Emergency Relief Coordinator, is the ongoing tragedy of the Congo, where six to seven million have died since 1996 as a consequence of invasions and wars sponsored by western powers trying to gain control of the region’s mineral wealth. At stake is control of natural resources that are sought by U.S. corporations—diamonds, tin, copper, gold, and more significantly, coltan and niobium, two minerals necessary for production of cell phones and other high-tech electronics; and cobalt, an element essential to nuclear, chemical, aerospace, and defense industries.

#6 Federal Whistleblower Protection in Jeopardy

Special Counsel Scott Bloch, appointed by President Bush in 2004, is overseeing the virtual elimination of federal whistleblower rights in the U.S. government.

The U.S. Office of Special Counsel (OSC), the agency that is supposed to protect federal employees who blow the whistle on waste, fraud, and abuse is dismissing hundreds of cases while advancing almost none. According to the Annual Report for 2004 (which was not released until the end of first quarter fiscal year 2006) less than 1.5 percent of whistleblower claims were referred for investigation while more than 1000 reports were closed before they were even opened. Only eight claims were found to be substantiated, and one of those included the theft of a desk, while another included attendance violations. Favorable outcomes have declined 24 percent overall, and this is all in the first year that the new special counsel, Scott Bloch, has been in office.

# 7 US Operatives Torture Detainees to Death in Afghanistan and Iraq

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) released documents of forty-four autopsies held in Afghanistan and Iraq October 25, 2005. Twenty-one of those deaths were listed as homicides. The documents show that detainees died during and after interrogations by Navy SEALs, Military Intelligence, and Other Government Agency (OGA).
“These documents present irrefutable evidence that U.S. operatives tortured detainees to death during interrogation,” said Amrit Singh, an attorney with the ACLU. “The public has a right to know who authorized the use of torture techniques and why these deaths have been covered up.”

#8 Pentagon Exempt from Freedom of Information Act

The Department of Defense has been granted exemption from the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). In December 2005, Congress passed the 2006 Defense Authorization Act which renders Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) “operational files” fully immune to FOIA requests, the main mechanism by which watchdog groups, journalists and individuals can access federal documents. Of particular concern to critics of the Defense Authorization Act is the DIA’s new right to thwart access to files that may reveal human rights violations tied to ongoing “counterterrorism” efforts.
The rule could, for instance, frustrate the work of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and other organizations that have relied on FOIA to uncover more than 30,000 documents on the U.S. military’s involvement in the torture and mistreatment of foreign detainees in Afghanistan, Guantanamo Bay, and Iraq—including the Abu Ghraib scandal.

#9 The World Bank Funds Israel-Palestine Wall

Despite the 2004 International Court of Justice (ICJ) decision that called for tearing down the Wall and compensating affected communities, construction of the Wall has accelerated. The route of the barrier runs deep into Palestinian territory, aiding the annexation of Israeli settlements and the breaking of Palestinian territorial continuity. The World Bank’s vision of “economic development,” however, evades any discussion of the Wall’s illegality.

#10 Expanded Air War in Iraq Kills More Civilians

There is widespread speculation that President Bush, confronted by diminishing approval ratings and dissent within his own party as well as within the military itself, will begin pulling American troops out of Iraq in 2006. A key element of the drawdown plans not mentioned in the President’s public statements, or in mainstream media for that matter, is that the departing American troops will be replaced by American airpower.

#11 Dangers of Genetically Modified Food Confirmed

Several recent studies confirm fears that genetically modified (GM) foods damage human health. These studies were released as the World Trade Organization (WTO) moved toward upholding the ruling that the European Union has violated international trade rules by stopping importation of GM foods.

#12 Pentagon Plans to Build New Landmines

The Bush administration plans to resume production of antipersonnel landmine systems in a move that is at odds with both the international community and previous U.S. policy, according to the leading human rights organization, Human Rights Watch (HRW).

#13 New Evidence Establishes Dangers of Roundup

New studies from both sides of the Atlantic reveal that Roundup, the most widely used weedkiller in the world, poses serious human health threats. More than 75 percent of genetically modified (GM) crops are engineered to tolerate the absorption of Roundup—it eliminates all plants that are not GM. Monsanto Inc., the major engineer of GM crops, is also the producer of Roundup. Thus, while Roundup was formulated as a weapon against weeds, it has become a prevalent ingredient in most of our food crops.

#14 Homeland Security Contracts KBR to Build Detention Centers in the US

Halliburton’s subsidiary KBR (formerly Kellogg, Brown and Root) announced on January 24, 2006 that it had been awarded a $385 million contingency contract by the Department of Homeland Security to build detention camps in the United States.

#15 Chemical Industry is EPA’s Primary Research Partner

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) research program is increasingly relying on corporate joint ventures, according to agency documents obtained by Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility (PEER). The American Chemical Council (ACC) is now EPA’s leading research partner and the EPA is diverting funds from basic health and environmental research towards research that addresses regulatory concerns of corporate funders.

#16 Ecuador and Mexico Defy US on International Criminal Court

Ecuador and Mexico have refused to sign bilateral immunity agreements (BIA) with the U.S., in ratification of the International Criminal Court (ICC) treaty. Despite the Bush administration’s threat to withhold economic aid, both countries confirmed allegiance to the ICC, the international body established to try individuals accused of war crimes and crimes against humanity.

#17 Iraq Invasion Promotes OPEC Agenda

According to a report from journalist, Greg Palast, the U.S. invasion of Iraq was indeed about the oil. However, it wasn’t to destroy OPEC, as claimed by neoconservatives in the administration, but to take part in it.

The U.S. strategic occupation of Iraq has been an effective means of acquiring access to the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC). As long as the interim government adheres to the production caps set by the organization, the U.S. will ensure profits to the international oil companies (IOCs), the OPEC cartel, and Russia.

#18 Physicist Challenges Official 9-11 Story

Research into the events of September 11 by Brigham Young University physics professor, Steven E. Jones, concludes that the official explanation for the collapse of the World Trade Center (WTC) buildings is implausible according to laws of physics. Jones is calling for an independent, international scientific investigation “guided not by politicized notions and constraints but rather by observations and calculations.”

#19 Destruction of Rainforests Worst Ever

New developments in satellite imaging technology reveal that the Amazon rainforest is being destroyed twice as quickly as previously estimated due to the surreptitious practice of selective logging.

#20 Bottled Water: A Global Environmental Problem

Consumers spend a collective $100 billion every year on bottled water in the belief—often mistaken—that it is better for us than what flows from our taps. Worldwide, bottled water consumption surged to 41 billion gallons in 2004, up 57 percent since 1999.

“Even in areas where tap water is safe to drink, demand for bottled water is increasing—producing unnecessary garbage and consuming vast quantities of energy,” reports Earth Policy Institute researcher Emily Arnold. Although in much of the world, including Europe and the U.S., more regulations govern the quality of tap water than bottled water, bottled water can cost up to 10,000 times more. At up to $10 per gallon, bottled water costs more than gasoline in the United States.

#21 Gold Mining Threatens Ancient Andean Glaciers

Barrick Gold, a powerful multinational gold mining company, planned to melt three Andean glaciers in order to access gold deposits through open pit mining. The water from the glaciers would have been held for refreezing in the following winters. Opposition to the mine because of destruction to water sources for Andean farmers was widespread in Chile and the rest of the world. Barrick Gold’s Pascua Lama project represents one of the largest foreign investments in Chile in recent years, totaling $1.5 billion. However, some 70,000 downstream farmers backed by international environmental organizations and activists around the world waged a campaign against the proposed mine.

#22 $Billions in Homeland Security Spending Undisclosed

More than $8 billion in Homeland Security funds has been doled out to states since the September 11, 2001 attacks, but the public has little chance of knowing how this money is being spent.

#23 US Oil Targets Kyoto in Europe

Lobbyists funded by the U.S. oil industry have launched a campaign in Europe aimed at derailing efforts to tackle greenhouse gas pollution and climate change.

Documents obtained by Greenpeace reveal a systematic plan to persuade European business, politicians and the media that the European Union should abandon its commitments under the Kyoto protocol, the international agreement that aims to reduce emissions that lead to global warming.

#24 Cheney’s Halliburton Stock Rose Over 3000 Percent Last Year

Vice President Dick Cheney’s stock options in Halliburton rose from $241,498 in 2004 to over $8 million in 2005, an increase of more than 3,000 percent, as Halliburton continues to rake in billions of dollars from no-bid/no-audit government contracts.

#25 US Military in Paraguay Threatens Region

Five hundred U.S. troops arrived in Paraguay with planes, weapons, and ammunition in July 2005, shortly after the Paraguayan Senate granted U.S. troops immunity from national and International Criminal Court (ICC) jurisdiction. Neighboring countries and human rights organizations are concerned that the massive air base at Mariscal Estigarribia, Paraguay is potential real estate for the U.S. military.
Now my question is this... how far down the rabbit hole go? Really now, we DO know that some news don't make it for censorship reasons, but is it ethical? Are we really that dumbed down even today after the media has really shown us everything? And I don't mean just the news, we already are seeing it everywhere else here on the internet. If we can FIND this crap on the internet, what's stopping the media from showing it to people who doesn't?

How ya doing, buddy?
CryHavoc
Catherine Bell <3

Member 8369

Level 18.10

Jun 2006

Old Jan 4, 2007, 07:27 PM Local time: Jan 5, 2007, 03:27 AM #2 of 10
Quote:
#2 Halliburton Charged with Selling Nuclear Technologies to Iran

According to journalist Jason Leopold, sources at former Cheney company Halliburton allege that, as recently as January of 2005, Halliburton sold key components for a nuclear reactor to an Iranian oil development company. Leopold says his Halliburton sources have intimate knowledge of the business dealings of both Halliburton and Oriental Oil Kish, one of Iran’s largest private oil companies.
I find this to be the most disturbing. Though somehow the least surprising.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jan 4, 2007, 07:31 PM Local time: Jan 4, 2007, 05:31 PM #3 of 10
Quote:
Now my question is this... how far down the rabbit hole go? Really now, we DO know that some news don't make it for censorship reasons, but is it ethical? Are we really that dumbed down even today after the media has really shown us everything? And I don't mean just the news, we already are seeing it everywhere else here on the internet. If we can FIND this crap on the internet, what's stopping the media from showing it to people who doesn't?
I don't really know a lot about a number of these, but my guess is that since it became a little more obvious that some of the stories towards the end are fringe ones it might be because typical media outlets don't like covering those stories.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2007, 02:52 AM Local time: Jan 5, 2007, 01:52 AM #4 of 10
While I'm sure some of these have truth to them, I really can't bring myself to entirely trust that source. They do have a book to sell after all is said and done.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
mindOverMatter
CLfAM

Member 14418

Level 8.57

Oct 2006

Old Jan 5, 2007, 11:07 AM #5 of 10
...we need an accurate media. But that's where the internet comes in. The media concentrates on what they think the people will be most interested in reading. That's why they always criticize the President. American people feel they need a scape goat.
America needs to stop caring about Hollywood and celebrities, and start caring about what's really important!
Call to action! --if people show that these issues are important to them, then it will be addressed!

I was speaking idiomatically.
Hold on just one second....when I signed up for life, this was not what I was expecting. Can I get a refund?
RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2007, 07:35 AM Local time: Jan 7, 2007, 08:35 PM #6 of 10
Quote:
I don't really know a lot about a number of these, but my guess is that since it became a little more obvious that some of the stories towards the end are fringe ones it might be because typical media outlets don't like covering those stories.
Some of these stories are fringe? Could you point out which ones are because personally I don't find the destruction of the rainforest, corporate subversion of environmental efforts and the stability of central America "fringe" issues.

I'll tell you why we arn't hearing about a lot of these stories: advertising revenue. Or to be more precise the lack of it. Do you think Coke-a-Cola would stand by if Mount Franklin and the rest of the bullshit bottled water industry was exposed for being the most disgusting exploitation of humanity's insecurity there is? Of course not, they'd ccut the millions of dollars they spend on advertising to any network who tried to run something like that.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Jan 7, 2007, 08:58 AM Local time: Jan 7, 2007, 08:58 AM #7 of 10
Paraguay is in South America. It's a country that lies along the coast between Brazil and Argentina.

I have to wonder, though, why the Hell we would need an air base in Paraguay.

FELIPE NO
RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2007, 10:28 AM Local time: Jan 7, 2007, 11:28 PM #8 of 10
Great Scott you're right! Which puts it adjacent to Bolivia, a nation in league with Venezuela and Cuba.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Jan 7, 2007, 10:56 AM Local time: Jan 7, 2007, 10:56 AM #9 of 10
Wow. That's a frightening amount of farsight, then. Not like we couldn't build more nuclear reactors and encourage the electric car instead of fighting more resource wars, though.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jan 7, 2007, 01:36 PM Local time: Jan 7, 2007, 11:36 AM #10 of 10
Some of these stories are fringe? Could you point out which ones are because personally I don't find the destruction of the rainforest, corporate subversion of environmental efforts and the stability of central America "fringe" issues.
Well...

Quote:
#18 Physicist Challenges Official 9-11 Story

Research into the events of September 11 by Brigham Young University physics professor, Steven E. Jones, concludes that the official explanation for the collapse of the World Trade Center (WTC) buildings is implausible according to laws of physics. Jones is calling for an independent, international scientific investigation “guided not by politicized notions and constraints but rather by observations and calculations.”
After having researched this dude's claims for a thread a long while back (I think it was in General Discussion) I think I can say this dude is full of horseshit. He intentionally misquotes authorities, takes passages out of context from reports, and does his very best to mislead his uninformed audience.

A quick example I can think of is how in his presentations he reiterates how some certain pillars which were found at ground zero were found to be completely unscorched. Of course, everyone would think that all the pillars would have been burned at some point during the massive fires happening in the building. However, if you actually read the report put out by the government (which he cites) you'd see he left out the part where they mentioned the lack of burning on these pillars supported the computer models developed by engineers to figure out how the building collapsed. The determined the pillars shouldn't have been burnt at all during the collapse of the buildings.

Quote:
I'll tell you why we arn't hearing about a lot of these stories: advertising revenue. Or to be more precise the lack of it. Do you think Coke-a-Cola would stand by if Mount Franklin and the rest of the bullshit bottled water industry was exposed for being the most disgusting exploitation of humanity's insecurity there is? Of course not, they'd ccut the millions of dollars they spend on advertising to any network who tried to run something like that.
I remember Penn & Teller actually doing a thing on bottled water a long while back on their show. I also thought it was common knowledge that most bottled water comes from the tap in various random townships. Then again, I'd also say that I have a preference in the taste of various brands of bottled waters and feel some definitely taste way better than the tap water did at my apartment (even after being run through a filter).

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > Top 25 Censored Stories of 2007