Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

What exactly is trolling?

agreatguy6
Holy Chocobo

Member 682

Level 31.93

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2006, 02:58 PM #1 of 11
Someone remind me:
What is trolling exactly?
fftopic:

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 03:29 PM #2 of 11
Moved this post from here b/c I'm unable to come up with a good answer and I figure I let you guys, members and staff, explain it to him.

Let's see what kind of definitions we can come up with for what we consider trolling on GFF. =)

Most amazing jew boots
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Winter Storm
Distant Memories

Member 2209

Level 27.54

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2006, 03:34 PM #3 of 11
Entering a thread with the intent to be disruptive for the sake of own entertainment. Does not yeild to warnings, and often targets specific members.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Grawl
WHAT IF I HAD DIED?!

Member 39

Level 34.06

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2006, 04:42 PM Local time: Aug 6, 2006, 11:42 PM #4 of 11
Originally Posted by AcerBandit
Let's see what kind of definitions we can come up with for what we consider trolling on GFF. =)
I was going to say 'act like an asshole and bother other members', but then 95% of GFF consists of trolls.

Hey, that might be pretty accurate though.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
galen
lost control then i got it back now my position has changed

Member 655

Level 25.35

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2006, 10:03 PM Local time: Aug 6, 2006, 08:03 PM #5 of 11
Originally Posted by Winter Storm
Entering a thread with the intent to be disruptive for the sake of own entertainment. Does not yeild to warnings, and often targets specific members.
For example, if I were to say "Winter Storm is a wuss," that would be trolling.

I was speaking idiomatically.
packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old Aug 6, 2006, 10:39 PM #6 of 11
So then why would Capo call this post:
Originally Posted by bobd
I think LMAO means Laughing my ass off, and LOL means Laugh Out Loud, and ROFL means Rolling On the Floor Laughing... not the other things
"blatant trolling?"

Granted he is not a staff member, to be able to call the shots; but calling something like that "blatant" seems like a rather confident and serious charge. One which implies that he knows, or at least thinks he knows, that many people agree with him that it qualifies under the board's anti-trolling policy.

If, by chance, that post was not blatant in its trolling qualities, could it then be said that Capo's charge of trolling is in fact trolling? After all, I think many people will feel compelled to defend themselves, given the serious nature of the charge; and if the post was not really trolling, and Capo knew this, is his remark then inflammatory for the sake of getting a reaction?

Maybe I'm also reading waaay more into this then I should be.

Also, Capo, don't mean to put you on the spot on purpose. I thought this was as good a time as any to question such a situation.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by packrat; Aug 6, 2006 at 10:45 PM.
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Aug 6, 2006, 11:31 PM Local time: Aug 7, 2006, 12:31 PM #7 of 11
Originally Posted by packrat
So then why would Capo call this post:

"blatant trolling?"

Granted he is not a staff member, to be able to call the shots; but calling something like that "blatant" seems like a rather confident and serious charge. One which implies that he knows, or at least thinks he knows, that many people agree with him that it qualifies under the board's anti-trolling policy.
Or Capo may just be, you know, joking.

FELIPE NO
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2006, 11:38 PM Local time: Aug 7, 2006, 05:38 AM #8 of 11
If you're making a post with the primary intention to annoy other users, then you're trolling. Back in the good old days of usenet it used to be primarily people who weren't a regular of the group in question, but these days it's accepted that even regular members of a forum can and do often troll.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Old Aug 7, 2006, 07:39 AM #9 of 11
Originally Posted by Bigblah
Or Capo may just be, you know, joking.
Yeah, he was. He later PM'd me telling me he wasn't serious in that post. =P

But hey I wasn't sure at the time either so I don't blame packrat. =)

Not bad so far, guys, but we need moar! MOAR! =U

Jam it back in, in the dark.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old Aug 7, 2006, 11:02 AM Local time: Aug 7, 2006, 06:02 PM #10 of 11
According to Wikipedia (Yeah, I know. LeHah's gonna love this post<3 ) a troll is:
"someone who comes into an established community such as an online discussion forum, and posts inflammatory, rude, repetitive or offensive messages designed intentionally to annoy or antagonize the existing members or disrupt the flow of discussion, including the personal attack of calling others trolls."

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support > What exactly is trolling?