Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Better when faster?

Josiah
Normal Gym Leader

Member 412

Level 22.01

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 05:14 PM #1 of 11
Better when faster?

Have you ever listened to a VGM track you think sounds better when played faster? Two such examples come to mind for me. The first for me would be the stage 5 music from the SNES port of Knights of the Round. When I actually first heard it was on my friend's emulator, and for some reason it played about twice as fast on there. When I actually got the track, I kind of wished it was as fast as when I first heard it.

The other would have be Launch Base Act 1 from Sonic the Hedgehog 3. I always thought the music just rocked at a certain spot where you picked up red shoes.

Have any of you ever felt this way about certain VGM tracks?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Dubble
The Hero of Mouseton VS The Phantom Blot!

Member 297

Level 32.26

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 07:30 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 06:30 PM #2 of 11
I've been doing a rip of the Warioland series and I have to say that the sped up tunes are just flat out FUN. The tone of the music changes and it just becomes this fast paced rush

There's nowhere I can't reach.
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 08:43 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 06:43 PM #3 of 11
The ending theme from Super Mario World is rather amusing sped up; thank YTMND for that one.

I can also think of a track I like better slowed down: Holy Orders (Be Just or Be Dead) from the Guilty Gear series. I've never been overly fond of the original version, but the arranged version from GGXX Sound Alive =

How ya doing, buddy?
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Von
Tchaimscriabalustmaninoff

Member 1508

Level 6.48

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 08:51 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 06:51 PM #4 of 11
A lot of the battle themes in Final Fantasies and similar games would be better sped up. Chrono cross had so much intresting music, yet things like The Trial and the Overground themes dragged.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:48 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 08:48 PM #5 of 11
It depends entirely on the mood you want to set. Sad or dramatic music will be made more so by a slower pace. Fast happy music will become plain off the wall when it's even faster. Some of the Kriby 64 tracks would be incomprehensible to make any faster. Of course some songs are just too damn slow and need to be sped up (such as the prelude from the Japanese Final Fantasy III).

I was speaking idiomatically.
J-Man
Taller than a tree

Member 102

Level 23.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:02 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 09:02 PM #6 of 11
The song that plays when you are in your house in Onnet in Mother 2 seems way to slow and lame after hearing the way-better-arranged version on the Super Smash Bros. OST. That album kicked ass.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:10 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 09:10 PM #7 of 11
Remember though that when you do speed up a track, only doing so by 10%-25% will make it sound better. Any faster and it's like seeking on a CD player (except for the damn slow songs).
Generally any soung sounds better faster if you make it techo, the only genre where every song must be pounding so quick you don't know what the hell you're hearing.

FELIPE NO
Josiah
Normal Gym Leader

Member 412

Level 22.01

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 01:33 AM #8 of 11
Well yeah, that's what I do. Red shoes in the original Sonic games increase the music speed by about 25% I think, and my MP3 player has a feature that lets me do that.

Most amazing jew boots
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 07:17 AM #9 of 11
Some of the songs on the horribly-boring FFXI OST sound a good deal better when sped up; I've edited a few of them for this purpose. "Final Confrontation" is like a sominex at its current speed, but 10% faster gives it a lot more flair and tension. "Sarutabaruta" is also a lot more lively with some sugar in its coffee.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 05:22 PM #10 of 11
A song that comes to mind is the Mythril Mines theme in Chocobo Racing, which seems to be a remix of the original Gulug Volcano, + more energy.
The higher speed Cid's Race Track version of the standard Chocobo theme also sounds good.
As well, the FF VIII racetrack version of the FF VIII battle theme (I don't know if it's actually faster due to the added instrumentation) sounds much better too.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
shadowlink56
Wii came, We saw, Wii kicked our ASS!

Member 2235

Level 20.07

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 06:20 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 05:20 PM #11 of 11
Originally Posted by Dubble
I've been doing a rip of the Warioland series and I have to say that the sped up tunes are just flat out FUN. The tone of the music changes and it just becomes this fast paced rush
I believe these are already done minus Warioland 4, I mean I have rips for the first 3.

Anyway, I first discovered that some VGM sounds better sped up when I was back using tape dubbing to make backup copies of my elaborate VGM tapes.
Oh, back in the day!
Most factory themes are pretty nice sped up, like Lost Viking's factory, EWJ Level 5, DKC Fear Factory (and subsequent DKC sequel factory tracks).
Most Boss battles, IMO, are fast paced enough for a sense of urgency.
word to the wary though: Kirby themes can be frightfully obnoxious when sped up!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > Better when faster?