Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] FINAL FANTASY XII Original Soundtrack (SVWC-7351~54)

Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old May 31, 2006, 09:09 PM Local time: May 31, 2006, 06:09 PM #1 of 124
FINAL FANTASY XII Original Soundtrack (SVWC-7351~54)

http://www.gmronline.com/info.asp?Ca...r=SVWC-7351~54

So this is where the dozens of comments will go about the music.

As usual for this forum, no trading discussion, and no worthless posts. I will delete offending posts on site. Keep the discussion intelligent.

I've only heard the PSF rip and the Symphonic Poem "Hope" so far, but it's good stuff. More comments to come from me later.

Most amazing jew boots
jb1234
Good Chocobo

Member 1985

Level 15.40

Mar 2006

Old May 31, 2006, 10:03 PM #2 of 124
I'm listening to it now and the difference between the OSV and the psfs is often quite astonishing. The percussion in particular is far more pronounced in the OSV. More thoughts later...

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by jb1234; May 31, 2006 at 10:06 PM.
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old May 31, 2006, 11:20 PM #3 of 124
That tracklist is something of a revelation; I had no idea that Uematsu had composed more than one track, nor that Iwata or the others had done any.

Since I don't want to hear the entire OST until I've played the game, the only thing I have to go on is the 45-min "Best Of" compilation. From what I can tell, the music looks to be quite complex and densely orchestrated, even by Sakimoto's standards, with great synth quality. The only downside to this is that the themes, such as I have heard them, are complex enough not to be as immidiately memorable and catchy as some of Uematsu's best work on the series.

I just wish they'd kept Sakimoto on for XIII. The one thing the series needs right now is consistency.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Godai
the best damn thing

Member 811

Level 20.71

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2006, 01:14 AM #4 of 124
Originally Posted by orion_mk3
That tracklist is something of a revelation; I had no idea that Uematsu had composed more than one track, nor that Iwata or the others had done any.
Technically, the only new track composed by Uematsu for this soundtrack is, "Kiss Me Good-Bye". Everything else he is credited as composer for, are just arranged versions of older FF tracks arranged by Sakimoto. So, no new content from Uematsu here, besides the vocal theme.

Most amazing jew boots
Spinal Tap
Syklis Green

Member 2060

Level 6.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2006, 01:21 AM #5 of 124
The sound quality really is amazing, especially compared to the PSFs.
Just listen to the difference between "Boss Battle" on the PSFs (track 036 I think) and on the OST... it almost sounds like an entirely different track.
I already loved what I heard on the PSFs, but this quality really adds so much to it.
Also, I don't think Abyss by Matsuo on the second disc was in the PSF2 set... it's a kickass track though.
Matsuo seems to be a very underrated composer.. his tracks in the game all kick ass. (especially Rebellion)

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Spinal Tap; Jun 1, 2006 at 02:06 AM.
jb1234
Good Chocobo

Member 1985

Level 15.40

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2006, 01:39 AM #6 of 124
I'm actually not sure I like the OST version of "Boss Battle." Maybe it's because I'm so used to the mixing on the PSF version. I have similar qualms with the final boss piece.

On the other hand, "Nalbina Fortress Underground Prison" sounds FANTASTIC on the OST, the added percussion really adding to the tone.

The "Ending Movie" track is lovely. It was the only piece I hadn't heard in the PSF set and the quality is very high. The second half has an orchestrated version of "Destiny" that sounds... well, awesome. I can't wait to hear it in the game.

This is quite possibly my favorite FF soundtrack (up there with FF6).

How ya doing, buddy?
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Jun 1, 2006, 01:49 AM Local time: May 31, 2006, 10:49 PM #7 of 124
Just for clarification, did the PSF set even use the original driver?

Oh, and is the OST Boss Battle a different track from the FFXII demo rip Boss Battle track? I no longer have that MP3, but the OST Boss Battle is excellent, whereas I remember the demo one being merely okay.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Jun 1, 2006 at 01:52 AM.
jb1234
Good Chocobo

Member 1985

Level 15.40

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2006, 02:00 AM #8 of 124
I think the PSF set used the FFX driver. Don't quote me on that though.

As for the Boss Theme, the demo had a shorter version of it. The final game adds a second half that makes all the difference.

How ya doing, buddy?
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Jun 1, 2006, 02:14 AM Local time: May 31, 2006, 11:14 PM #9 of 124
Originally Posted by jb1234
The final game adds a second half that makes all the difference.
Quoted for truth; that's the best part.

I'm a bit miffed that the "Symphonic Poem" track on the OST only includes the 1st, 2nd, and 5th movements, but it's still a lot better than nothing.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
jb1234
Good Chocobo

Member 1985

Level 15.40

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2006, 02:20 AM #10 of 124
Quote:
I'm a bit miffed that the "Symphonic Poem" track on the OST only includes the 1st, 2nd, and 5th movements, but it's still a lot better than nothing.
Yeah, it sounded edited to me (probably to fit in the main credits, along with "Kiss Me Goodbye"). They could have at least slowed down the credits to fit the whole thing in there. Ah well...

Argentis
RyuFAN

Member 4057

Level 31.90

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2006, 04:46 AM Local time: Jun 1, 2006, 10:46 AM #11 of 124
I think Symphonic poem works well like that - besides the full version is avaliable on the single - I just wish that it was just one track instead of five

oh and btw

Esper Battle is absolutly amazing!! I really makes you feel like you're fighting a collosal summon monster! It's simply epic - it's starts of with the strong percussion beat, then kicks off with the vocal synth!

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Argentis; Jun 1, 2006 at 06:38 AM.
Cobalt Katze
This game will never come out.

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2006, 08:54 AM Local time: Jun 1, 2006, 05:54 AM #12 of 124
I'm only through the first disc so far in listening (had to collapse last night afterwards, but the rest shall be listened to this morning!) but so far this is brilliant work. Definately Sakimoto's best and most diverse soundtrack on just the first 1/4. I'll be sure to post a much more complete review once I've finished listening to it all 5 hours of music, sheesh!

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Veq
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 2048

Level 2.86

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:38 AM #13 of 124
I've listened through the soundtrack 2 times now, and so far only 3-4 songs stucked to my mind, which is rather dissapointing.
But it is what I expected from Sakimoto, its always rather dull and the only soundtrack by him that I liked is Vagrant Story.

You have this soundwall sound as always. Im not saying all songs are like that, but they dont really stick to your mind and makes you want to sing along like Uematsus work always did, even at first time hearing them.
I think the worst thing is that I dont even know the FF12 theme by now. I just cant remember it like all other FF themes just went right into the head at first time.

I will probably get flamed by a lot of Final Fantasy and / or Sakimoto-fans, but this is just what I think. Its not "Final Fantasy" for me, its not that I dont accept changes, I do, but this is not a possitive change in my opinion.

With that being said, Im sure the soundtrack can fit well in the game, while playing, giving an atmosphere, but as a standalone album its not that great.

Last edited by Veq; Jun 1, 2006 at 11:41 AM.
Spinal Tap
Syklis Green

Member 2060

Level 6.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2006, 12:04 PM #14 of 124
^
Lol, no, you are entitled to your opinion of course.

After a couple of listen throughs, these are some of my favorite tracks:

Disc 1: Boss Battle, Penelo's theme, Naivety, Little Rascal, Rabanastre Downtown, The Garamsythe Waterway, Rebellion

Disc 2: The Princess' Vision, Clash of Swords, Abyss, Battle Drum, Barheim Passage, Sorrow (Liberation Army), Upheaval

Disc 3: Esper Battle, Desperate Fight, Jahara, Ozmone Plains, Eruyt Village, White Room, The Phon Coast, Destiny, Near The Water

Disc 4: Cerobi, Esper, Zertinan Caverns, To The Place Of The Gods, and everything that follows after that track.

Really awesome overall, probably my favorite OST of this generation, along with Silent Hill 3.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
garthvadr3
Good Chocobo

Member 694

Level 15.42

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2006, 12:05 PM #15 of 124
Veq:
I agree wholeheartedly. The music just doesn't strike me like previous FF OSTs. Umatsue's themes always stick, and further Hamauzu's brilliant work in FFX really made the serie's music come to life. I really enjoyed just about every track that Hamauzu wrote in FFX. I am sad to see that he hasn't returned in FF12. I'm not saying FF12's music is bad, it just isn't that great. Don't get me wrong, SOME of the tracks are good. But thats just some though and as entire work the OST failes where FFxs succeeded. It works in the game, it works ok for listening, but like most movie soundtracks (not saying that it is one, I am contrasting between the two genres) today, it just doesn't strike me as being interesting enough to be memorable.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by garthvadr3; Jun 1, 2006 at 12:08 PM.
Argentis
RyuFAN

Member 4057

Level 31.90

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2006, 01:01 PM Local time: Jun 1, 2006, 07:01 PM #16 of 124
If you ask me, the final fantasy series needs people like Hamauzu and Sakimoto - a variation in style. Uematsu's compositions may be memorable, but I get bored of Uematsu's classics (don't get me wrong I love them to bits) but I have hardly listened to the FF soundtracks for nearly six months. I think that Sakimoto does need to vary his style a bit - perhaps if he where to work on a genre that he may be less comfortable with (i.e. something that isn't medievil).

I have found quite a few tracks memorable in this collection (though I'm still downloading the last quarter of it and I want to give it a proper listen through)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Jun 1, 2006, 01:39 PM Local time: Jun 1, 2006, 10:39 AM #17 of 124
Originally Posted by RyuFAN
I think that Sakimoto does need to vary his style a bit - perhaps if he where to work on a genre that he may be less comfortable with (i.e. something that isn't medievil).
He does; just not enough. Go check out Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter, Gradius V, or even Radiant Silvergun.

Spinal Tap
Syklis Green

Member 2060

Level 6.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2006, 01:45 PM #18 of 124
For FF12, this style is perfect, since it's in the Ivalice universe and is a Matsuno game.
Nothing could fit FF12 better, and it works extremely well.
If you want more unconventional Sakimoto, wait for Mistwalker's ASH on the DS... he probably won't be composing in the FFT/VS/RS/FF12 style on that.

FPI
Dreamlander

Member 599

Level 9.10

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2006, 01:56 PM Local time: Jun 1, 2006, 06:56 PM #19 of 124
Originally Posted by orion_mk3
I just wish they'd kept Sakimoto on for XIII. The one thing the series needs right now is consistency.
I think I'll agree with that (or at least with the second half ) - I don't know, what SquareEnix trying right now with the FF-series musically-wise, it seems they just want for every game a new composer (and a totally different style) ... I must admit i don't like the general idea very much, I like consistency. (and Sakimoto wouldn't be a bad choice actually, because he also scored FFT & FFTA so far )
... I also think that Sakimoto's is very good, but the music just doesn't sound like "final Fantasy"-music to me. The only "new" composer to the FF-series which created music that sounded like "Final Fantasy" to me, was actually Naoshi Mizuta with all his FFXI-stuff.

Ok, but now to FFXII... I haven't listened to the OST yet (it still needs some time to download), but I've listened to the Best of and the PSF-set, and I'm glad to read, that the sound quality on the OST is better (or at least different from the PSF's) because I don't liked the sound quality from the PSF's at all but I was very impressed by the sound quality in the "Best of"-tracks.

I must say, I like the way Sakimoto uses his Main theme in his tracks, it may be not so catchy or impressive than Uematsu's previous Main themes, but I think, it's quite good, and I like the way the theme appears here and there in the OST.

So far my favourite tracks would be probably "Theme of the Empire", "The Strike of Blade" and the Final Battle, but I'm sure I will add more tracks to the list after listening to the OST.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Ashram
Syklis Green

Member 1056

Level 7.28

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2006, 02:11 PM Local time: Jun 1, 2006, 08:11 PM #20 of 124
I haven't listened to the whole soundtrack yet, only part of it. But personally I think it's some of the best work Sakimoto has ever done. I know some FF-fans will be disapointed in this OST, because it's not typical "FF-music" with all it's themes and stuff we've all come to love. But IMO change is good and judging the soundtrack on it's own, it's a very different style of music. I like it. You don't always need a lot of memorable tunes to have a great soundtrack.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
jb1234
Good Chocobo

Member 1985

Level 15.40

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2006, 02:23 PM #21 of 124
Sakimoto's strengths don't usually lie in his melodies. It's his textures and instrumentation choices that fascinate me. If you're looking for static, pretty melodies that stick in your head, you probably won't find this soundtrack very memorable. It's more like a film score than anything else (as is most game music these days), a progression that I welcome.

Cobalt Katze
This game will never come out.

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2006, 02:25 PM Local time: Jun 1, 2006, 11:25 AM #22 of 124
I finished listening to the whole thing earlier this morning, and I'm definately sold. My early impressions remain, that it's an amazing soundtrack. Full review still coming (I plan to do it track-by-track).

I think one thing I'd like to add to the discussion however, is that there are many more elements of music other than melodies that a composer can utilize to create attraction and memoribility. Two of the biggest factors in Sakimoto's personal style and music are those of interesting rhythmic figures and ways to use interesting chord progressions to take a melody and twist it into many different connotations. He does this masterfully with the three main themes used in FFXII, also blending in a good dose of atonal wandering and thematic uses of instruments (such as relating esper-related music with the choir, and certain less-orchestral instruments with the "primitive" races).

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Argentis
RyuFAN

Member 4057

Level 31.90

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2006, 02:39 PM Local time: Jun 1, 2006, 08:39 PM #23 of 124
I have heard nearly all of Sakimoto's Soundtracks - there isn't one track I don't like - it would be nice to hear a bit more techno, but I have waited since 2004 for this soundtrack - I'm not dissapointed

Regardless of what has gone before Sakimoto's instalments, this IS an epic

FELIPE NO
NYRSkate
Happy Hour in Hell's Sports Bar

Member 4

Level 18.19

Feb 2006

Old Jun 1, 2006, 04:12 PM #24 of 124
Relating to the demo version of the game, the tracks labeled for each area are completely different, and the track for the Miriam stage is now associated with an area toward the end of the game. Anyone find this odd at all?

Having listened to the PSFs for 2 months, this is like a completely different soundtrack. I can't say if it's better or worse, just different.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
<Mercarios> I voted for hut hut, because it's a superior track, but you gotta draw a line between having fun and going too far
garthvadr3
Good Chocobo

Member 694

Level 15.42

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2006, 04:18 PM #25 of 124
For me its not the memorable melodies that get me, though I do like a nice melody, it does not define greatness in a soundtrack. Rather it is interesting texture and interesting tonalities/instrumentation. All of which I do not think is present in FF12. The writing is very good, but I think it's too safe and too stock. I really like Hamauzu's writing because of these "textures". In FFX he stepped out of the FF norm as far as sounds go, but somehow it still retained an FF feel. I really liked that. Hamauzu's work never dissapoints me just listen to Dirge of Cerberous, Brave Fencer 2, and FFX. His writing is fresh, tonally, melodically, and the sound quality is always a step above the rest. I was kind of hoping for this in FF12 however what is there will do, I was just a little miffed at the overall staticness of the general sound in the OST. The sound quality of the samples are dissapointing too, me being an orchestral musician.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > [Album] FINAL FANTASY XII Original Soundtrack (SVWC-7351~54)