Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Epic... Powerful... Absolutely MOVING Songs!

Diversion
Jellicle Cat

Member 68

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 05:42 PM #1 of 93
Epic... Powerful... Absolutely MOVING Songs!

There are songs out there that carry in them a power and beauty that will take you in, move every bit of spirit in you, or rip your heart out in despair. Being a player of DnD, I like to find tracks for various situations, and I can never get enough songs that can take the players in and make them really feel despair or something so big and amazing that they feel the awe of the moment.

Right now, "The Tale of Icewind Dale" is playing, and it carries in it a great mystery and subtle beauty... I love songs like this. What pieces do you listen to that give you this kind of feeling or similar effects mentioned above. Try to avoid extremely heavy thematic pieces: with no disrespect meant to great themes, the theme itself often supplements some of the magic of the song, and it doesn't require as much other beauty to make the piece really sing out. There certainly are exceptions, and you can put them down if you feel they are appropriate.

Most amazing jew boots
Borg1982
One to be born...

Member 31

Level 20.43

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 05:54 PM #2 of 93
Although I like Koichi Sugiyama better on average because his pieces of music are brilliant, the person who has most made emotional songs that go with the moment so, so well is Nobuo Uematsu.

It seemed to begin with FF4 and got even better with FF6. So much moving music. So many situations have a theme. FF7 got even better with emotion! (perhaps not as epic as ff6, but better with emotion).

Most amazing jew boots
el jacko
nobody knows

Member 838

Level 18.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 06:05 PM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 08:05 AM #3 of 93
"Reprisal" from Ace Combat 5.

The horn solo at the 3 minute mark is the work of legends.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 06:06 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 03:06 PM #4 of 93
Since I've been listening to a lot of Ace Combat music recently, I'm going to go ahead and brag about Keiki Kobayashi. Tracks like "The Unsung War", "Blockade"/"First Flight", and "Zero" are top notch.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
bishop743
The Liberated Guardian

Member 623

Level 40.29

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 06:43 PM #5 of 93
Epic tracks, huh? Here are some I feel fit the mold:

<> Megalith -Agnus Dei- from Ace Combat 04 Shattered Skies Original Sound Tracks
<> Morrowind Title from Elder Scrolls III Morrowind Original Soundtrack
<> THE OUTDATED HEROES from ZOIDS INFINITY -ARCADE SOUND TRACKS- THE BOY
<> ''Metal Gear Solid'' Main Theme from Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty Original Soundtrack
<> Zero Stage 1 from Rockman X1~6
<> Trigger Situation from DIRGE OF CERBERUS -FINAL FANTASY VII- Original Soundtrack
<> HOUR OF DESTINY from Soul Calibur III Original Soundtrack -LEGEND OF SOUNDS-
<> Speaking with the Stars from BATEN KAITOS Neverending Wings and the Lost Sea Original Soundtrack

Those are a few that popped into my head. I'll post more later on.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 07:15 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 05:15 PM #6 of 93
The orchestrated songs in both Kingdom Hearts games are well placed and represent the emotions very well. They capture the moment if you will, after seeing both the scene and song pared together, they became inseparable in my mind.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 08:04 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 06:04 PM #7 of 93
Two songs come to mind for me, and they're basically exact opposites.

Joy: Truth (Vagrant Story)

In this song, all the pains of your past are washed away, all of your worries, doubts, and insecurites seem, in an instant, ridiculous. This is the basic feeling I got from the second half of the song, long before I ever played the game.

Despair: Trübsal (Saga Frontier II)

I've never heard this in game, but obviously someone is dead or dying. This is the kind of pain you feel when someone you love very much is dying in your arms, and you fall to your knees, screaming, "Why God, why!?". Horrible, acute emotional agony.

Both of these songs make me want to cry, but for very different reasons.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by PiccoloNamek; Apr 4, 2006 at 08:14 PM.
Why Am I Allowed to Have Gray Paint
Fookin' Prawns!

Member 56

Level 24.48

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 08:51 PM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 01:51 AM #8 of 93
Simply one of the greatest soundtracks for one of the greatest games ever made.
http://www.outcast-thegame.com/gallery/audio.htm
I find this a very stirring and emotive soundtrack that when playing the game perfectly enhances the atmosphere and portrays the sense of the environment you're in.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 09:24 PM #9 of 93
I actually knew Piccolo was going to answer "Truth" the instant I saw his name in the most recent reply for this thread...Scary :juggler:

As far as songs that provide feelings of "epic" and "awe", I'm generally a believer that the stronger the melody, the stronger the mood. Reason being: In an epic moment, a lot of things are usually going on and it makes sense to have equally active, yet still attractive, music.

Some songs that stick out as being "epic" in my mind, both for their prowess inside the game and outside:

"The Moon"-Ducktales (NES)
"Zone J"-Rescue Rangers (NES)
Level 7 BGM-Ninja Warriors (SNES)
Dr. Wily Area 3 (Megaman 7)
The Strongest Foe-Ys 3 Turbo Duo/Ys Felghana
Believe in My Heart-Ys Felghana
Holy Orders/Awe of She/Feel a Fear/Bloodstained Lineage/Meet Again-Guilty Gear X
The Day of Judgement/The Midnight Carnival-Guilty Gear XX Korean.
The First Unison/Hard Chain Reaction-Valkyrie Profile
Esaka?-King of Fighters 98 (especially for the sweet synth bells).
Struggle for Existence-Dynasty Warriors 4
flying-Castle Shikigami 2
Maybe I'm a Lion-Final Fantasy 8
Deceitful Wings/Duke of Stratosphere-Atelier Iris
The Battle with Lord Blazer-Wild Arms 2
Track 9-Skull Fang

So yeah...the word "Epic" normally translates as big battles or high-impact dungeons to me, as far as video games go.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2006, 09:58 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 07:58 PM #10 of 93
Quote:
I actually knew Piccolo was going to answer "Truth" the instant I saw his name in the most recent reply for this thread...Scary.
Just as I knew that as soon as you saw that I had posted here you would say something about me liking Truth.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Namakemono
I'm the goddamn Superman!

Member 2200

Level 13.07

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 04:20 AM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 10:20 AM #11 of 93
Broken Memory - Soukaigi
Betrayal - Silent Hill 2
Fight Tune "The Immaculate" - Dirge of Cerberus

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
AbyssKnight
Wark!

Member 583

Level 1.02

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 06:28 PM #12 of 93
One song that I find particularly epic is Tales of Legendia - Seeking Victory. I really love the whole orchestral thing, especially the violin. It plays during some of the boss battles in the game.

Spoiler:
It gave me a whole new reason to kick Walter's ass.

Man_of_Pie
Banned

Member 271

Level 9.89

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:28 PM #13 of 93
Communication Breakdown" By Yuki Kajiura or something. From Cenosaga Episode: II

Trench
The Raven

Member 2985

Level 17.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 01:02 AM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 11:02 PM #14 of 93
Anybody who mentioned Ace Combat 5 knows what they're talking about. Keiki Kobayashi..... you god.

As for me, Yasunori Mitsuda composes poetry. His music isn't just music. Just listen to Black Shadow from Tsugunai and you'll understand.

Other than that, "A sign" from Tales of Symphonia. 60 seconds of EPIC.

Oh, and "Supreme Ruler of the Nine Havens" from Baten Kaitos.

WHOA.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Diversion
Jellicle Cat

Member 68

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 04:27 AM #15 of 93
Thanks for all the replies. I had never listened to Ace Combat music before, but when I did... wow. Great stuff!

FELIPE NO
David Deluxe
"You're falling behind, mercenary."

Member 1181

Level 19.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 04:35 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 11:35 AM #16 of 93
Ace Combat Zero - Zero. [ =O ]

When I lay in my bed at night and listed to this track, my eyes got wet. That's just too epic, powerful and awesome for a wimp like me. Nothing to add, simply listen to it and I advise you not to be contrary.

[SCHWARZE 4 - Sepp Bonhof]
Trench
The Raven

Member 2985

Level 17.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 04:38 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 02:38 AM #17 of 93
Originally Posted by Diversion
Thanks for all the replies. I had never listened to Ace Combat music before, but when I did... wow. Great stuff!
Gasp.

It's so good it's actually the reason I played the game. It started off as a random download too. Then I said "I have to see what this is all about." And the game is okay. But the music is far better than okay.

Sexninja
Contents Under Pressure

Member 1142

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 01:47 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 11:47 PM #18 of 93
Resident Evil Outbreak File # 2:End credits.

I know, most of you had not listened it,but its just plain AWESOME.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 02:11 PM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 02:11 AM #19 of 93
Hmm, the songs I acknowledge for being powerful are:
-Destati by Yoko Shimomura (KHII)
-Minuet by Koichi Sugiyama (DQIV)
-Theme of Love by Nobuo Uematsu
-Overture, Rondo in C, Soaring Mix (Unlimited Saga), Thema, Variation (SFII), Wodan (Coi Vanni Gialli) by Masashi Hamauzu
-Maya's Death (Persona II, I forget who composed it. The most powerful sad piano IMO)

well, most of them could be found in Galbadia Hotel if the threadstarter is looking for the tracks.

Most amazing jew boots
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 07:03 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 06:03 PM #20 of 93
The orchestral tracks ("Title" and "Flight" in particular) from Panzer Dragoon are quite breathtaking.

"Castitatis" (Elfen Lied - Lilium ~opening version~)
The Doujin Music Thread | backloggery
yawa
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 4765

Level 1.00

Apr 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 07:38 PM #21 of 93
Mega Man 2 opening/Wily stage 1 theme (if you were tired and saying to yourself, "Man I'm getting the password and heading to bed," after finishing the last boss before this stage, your mind changed quickly when this song started.)

The Brinstar Red song from Super Metroid. Just gives a whole different feeling to the game.

Valley Of Heroes song in Stormwind in World of Warcraft.

Sewer Shark's tunnel music.

Silent Hill 2's "Running the through the forest endlessly" Ambience.

Fei Long's Music.

Little Mac's Uppercut sound effect (not really a song but it makes the entire situation feel Epic. Even if its hitting Glass Joe)

Streets of Rage 2 Boss music. Especially the first one, in the rain.

Donkey Kong Country first stage music.

Y's Book I&II epic dungeon music.

Bloody Tears from castlevania IV specifically.

Sephiroth's theme.

Thats all I can think of.

P.S. Sewer Shark thing was a joke.

P.P.S. Hi I'm new. But old. Its hard to explain.

Smoodle
The real NanaMan

Member 1713

Level 11.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 08:01 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 06:01 PM #22 of 93
I love the brooding music that plays in Zelda:Majora's Mask on the last day when the moon's just about to fall.

Most amazing jew boots
-BR-
Avid Listener

Member 747

Level 12.39

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 08:07 PM #23 of 93
Definitely some works by Jeremy Soules including the Icewind Dale Theme & Mysterious Attacker from.. can't remember the soundtrack; and some music by Danny Elfman including the ending section of Spidey Suite. When the horns and strings just roares, its one powerful movement to another.

FELIPE NO
Chronoman
Carob Nut

Member 1367

Level 6.19

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 02:19 AM #24 of 93
Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek
Two songs come to mind for me, and they're basically exact opposites.

Joy: Truth (Vagrant Story)

In this song, all the pains of your past are washed away, all of your worries, doubts, and insecurites seem, in an instant, ridiculous. This is the basic feeling I got from the second half of the song, long before I ever played the game.

Which track number is that?

alaekiefer
Carob Nut

Member 2664

Level 4.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 08:02 AM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 09:02 PM #25 of 93
I'm tempted to include Terra's theme as my favourite, but then again I wouldn't be fair to Nobuo's other works.

Here's a list of songs, and why I picked them.

Aeris' Theme - If the orchestrated version didn't leave you semi-drowning in a pool of your own tears by the end of it, you are not human.
Terra's Theme - The overworld theme of FF6. The enchanting melody will haunt me 'til the day I die.
Bonds of Sea And Fire - 'Tear-jerker' is an understatement.

A bevy of other songs as well, from Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, etc. but these three are the most prominent ones that stick on my mind.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > Epic... Powerful... Absolutely MOVING Songs!