Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 124 Voting/WEEK 125 Nominating

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 17, 2008, 08:41 PM #1 of 76
Song of the Week - WEEK 124 Voting/WEEK 125 Nominating

Song of the Week. 100 Weeks and counting.
Week 124 Voting is closed.
Week 125 Nominating is restricted.

Week 124 Voting
The rules for voting can be found here.

Results:
1). [19/13] Dynamite Headdy (Game Rip) - Schumacher Fly
2). [19/12] Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - To Catch an Owl
3). [18] DOUBLE DRAGON II The Revenge - Low Pursuit (Mission 2)
4). [17] Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow (PC Redbook Audio) - The Mojo Mansion
5). [15] Dragon's Fury (Game Rip) - OMAKEBGM00 (Thunder Force II: Knights of Legend)
6). [14] Real Bout Garou Densetsu 2 Arrange Sound Trax - Get the Sky ~ With Your Dream (Alfred)
7). [9] Kameo: Elements of Power Original Soundtrack - Hero's Theme
8). [3] Duck Tales 2 (Game Rip) - Scotland Theme

Tracks:
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: DOUBLE DRAGON II The Revenge - Low Pursuit (Mission 2)
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Dragon's Fury (Game Rip) - OMAKEBGM00 (Thunder Force II: Knights of Legend)
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Duck Tales 2 (Game Rip) - Scotland Theme
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Dynamite Headdy (Game Rip) - Schumacher Fly
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - To Catch an Owl
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Kameo: Elements of Power Original Soundtrack - Hero's Theme
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow (PC Redbook Audio) - The Mojo Mansion
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Real Bout Garou Densetsu 2 Arrange Sound Trax - Get the Sky ~ With Your Dream (Alfred)

Notes:
If you are a member at more than one of the forums in which this event is being held, please nominate and vote in only ONE of the forums. You may, however, comment in the threads at any of the other forums.

Week 125 Nominating
The Nominations Queue can be found here.
The rules for nominating can be found here.

Here is the link to the corresponding thread in the other forum:
- Soundtrack Central

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by orion_mk3; Mar 24, 2008 at 12:17 PM.
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Mar 18, 2008, 01:27 AM #2 of 76
Might as well vote since I'm bored at the moment. This seems like a very strong week.

DOUBLE DRAGON II The Revenge - Low Pursuit (Mission 2): This a pretty well done fusion of rock and jazz, though the arrangement seems quite liberal compared to the original track. The saxophone wailing was enjoyable and I found the bassline pretty interesting too. A couple parts seemed to be on autopilot but overall it's still nice. I didn't even know there was an arrangement for this game!

Dragon's Fury (Game Rip) - OMAKEBGM00 (Thunder Force II: Knights of Legend): It took me a couple listenings but I finally decided that I enjoy this track. The sample selection isn't the best it could've been - I found myself desiring more contrasts - but the pace and melody were decent and kept me interested. If it's a chiptune, as I suspect, it could've gone far in last year's contest.

Duck Tales 2 (Game Rip) - Scotland Theme: I was one of the few people lucky enough to get my hands on this game when it first came out, and one of my highest hopes was that the music was equal or superior to the first Ducktales game. It wasn't to be, however. Not that this track is poor or anything but it does help one to realize how much of a benchmark the first Ducktales game was for chiptune quality. My opinion of this track is that it isn't developed quite enough to be outstanding. It could've benefitted greatly from a deeper bassline and maybe a bit less reverb.

Dynamite Headdy (Game Rip) - Schumacher Fly: Always wanted to play this game but never got to it. Now I sort of regret this, as the music is obviously top-tier for the Genesis. If the entire rip is of this quality, I'm going to have to download it. Was this composed by anyone from Sonic Team? I'm detecting many similarities in style. Good stuff.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - To Catch an Owl: For once, an orchestral that isn't over the top. Very relaxed and subdued, rather pretty. I'm not sure if this same score was featured in the movie. I'm hopeful that this was written specifically for the game because I like it and don't want to have it spoiled by knowing it wasn't completely original. I appreciate the airy nature of this track quite a bit.

Kameo: Elements of Power Original Soundtrack - Hero's Theme: Here we go, the ubiquitous march. These always go in one of two directions: angry or triumphant, and I much prefer the latter. This particular piece straddles the fine line between both. It becomes more oppressive toward the end but the key prevents it from being too disharmonious at least. The last thirty seconds were an interesting finish. Not really my thing but I didn't hate it.

Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow (PC Redbook Audio) - The Mojo Mansion: Very quirky, indeed. There's almost a calypso-like vibe throughout and that's pretty darned cool. The drums are excellent too. I've never heard of Maui Mallard but now I'm intently curious. This one's got some serious potential.

Real Bout Garou Densetsu 2 Arrange Sound Trax - Get the Sky ~ With Your Dream (Alfred): I guess I go last this week. This is a powerhouse of a guitar-driven piece. The melody is outstanding, even infectious. However, it's complimented by some very romantic strings and horns, allowing it to maintain a poetic balance; it's neither too aggressive nor too laid-back. Even the little drum solo is pretty cool. I love energetic tracks like this, especially ones that exude such a dominating air of triumph. It all comes together so satisfyingly at the end. <3

Spread 'Em

3 Points: Real Bout Garou Densetsu 2 Arrange Sound Trax - Get the Sky ~ With Your Dream (Alfred)
1 Point: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - To Catch an Owl
1 Point: Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow (PC Redbook Audio) - The Mojo Mansion
1 Point: Dynamite Headdy (Game Rip) - Schumacher Fly

Consolation Prize: DOUBLE DRAGON II The Revenge - Low Pursuit (Mission 2)

A really, really good week. The competition is very tight.

New Nomination

Album: Emperor: Battle for Dune
Track Title: Victory Is Inevitable
Composer: David Arkenstone
Disc Number: 3 (Harkonnen)
Track Number: 15
Year: 2001
Additional Notes: This nomination represents a grand departure from the norm for me but I've got tremendous faith in this one.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2008, 09:26 AM Local time: Mar 18, 2008, 04:26 PM #3 of 76
Oh man, a track I worked on! And what's more I love that soundtrack, and I never would've expected it to get any recognition. I'm talking, of course, about Harry Potter - "Owl Chase" (which apparently is actually called To Catch an Owl). I didn't work on the composition of the song, I merely converted it to DS and GBA, but when working on this game, I was really impressed by the tracks. It was one of those jobs I was expecting to be tedious and just turned out awesome. If you have a chance, check out the rest of the soundtrack, it's extremely whimsical.

Then there's my own nomination, Scotland from the NES game Duck Tales 2, which I think is just marvelous in its simplicity. Great melody and I always love NES tracks with a "walking" bassline, and this one does the trick nicely. It's certainly no "The Moon" or anything, but then again, nothing is. I think this is a little gem, even if it might not stand up to this killer predecessor.

OmakeBGM00 is the third track I'll give a point to. It's really outstanding, sort of a classic arcade shooter vibe but at the same time the composition is somehow quite fetching, without any overly wanky solos or anything that tries to steal the show, but just a solid piece of work. I really enjoyed this.

Tough week, all these tracks are great.

3 points - Duck Tales 2 (Game Rip) - Scotland Theme
2 points - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - To Catch an Owl
1 point - Dragon's Fury (Game Rip) - OMAKEBGM00 (Thunder Force II: Knights of Legend)

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by surasshu; Mar 18, 2008 at 11:35 AM.
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:03 AM Local time: Mar 18, 2008, 08:03 AM #4 of 76
Dynamite Headdy (Game Rip) - Schumacher Fly: Always wanted to play this game but never got to it. Now I sort of regret this, as the music is obviously top-tier for the Genesis. If the entire rip is of this quality, I'm going to have to download it. Was this composed by anyone from Sonic Team? I'm detecting many similarities in style. Good stuff.
One of the best Genesis soundtracks, by my reckoning. No Sonic Team members, as the soundtrack was done by the Treasure sound team: Norio Hanzawa and the like. Quirky, fun, and loads of depth (in number of tracks and composition). You may remember South Town's Theme from the BCC, which lost in the first round. Pity, because it's the best track from the ST and just about as good as the Genesis gets (which is phenomenal).

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Undertale (PC, 2015)
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:36 AM #5 of 76
I'm hopeful that this was written specifically for the game because I like it and don't want to have it spoiled by knowing it wasn't completely original.
There are some pieces in the game that have John Williams' themes in them, but this one is completely original

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by orion_mk3; Mar 18, 2008 at 04:09 PM.
punkmaggit
Oh! I Feel it! I feel the Cosmos!

Member 4088

Level 9.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2008, 05:47 PM Local time: Mar 18, 2008, 02:47 PM #6 of 76
Dynamite Headdy (Game Rip) - Schumacher Fly: If the entire rip is of this quality, I'm going to have to download it.
Sorry to disappoint you there buddy. This was one of the only surviving tracks of my previous Dynamite Headdy rip. There's no way I could do it again (time and energy) but I'm sure you could find a good rip out there. Even then, get the genesis sound file. It probably sounds better and you can loop it however long you fancy.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
What's all this?
Duck King
erryday im QUACKIN'

Member 10923

Level 29.90

Aug 2006

Old Mar 19, 2008, 02:32 AM Local time: Mar 19, 2008, 09:32 AM #7 of 76
3 points: DOUBLE DRAGON II The Revenge - Low Pursuit (Mission 2)
My nomination. Love this arrangement for the cheesy 80's rock, solid percussions and crazy sax. It helps that source track is also my favorite stage theme from the game (Mission 2 in the NES/Mission 1 in the arcade and every other port.)

2 points: Dragon's Fury (Game Rip) - OMAKEBGM00 (Thunder Force II: Knights of Legend)
Second best track of the week. Would have received a 3 if not for a nom. And by the bye, Crash, this very tune from the original game was in the BSC (which also lost during the first round.)

1 point: Dynamite Headdy (Game Rip) - Schumacher Fly
Pretty enjoyable. Great melody and groove. Still nowhere near as good as South Town's Theme.

Runner-ups: To Catch an Owl

Nomination:
  • Album Title: Battle Squadron (Amiga Game Rip)
  • Artist: Ron Klaren, Ivo Zoer
  • Track Title: In-Game Music
  • Source: HOL
  • Year: 1989

Ceft
Shadow Master

Member 17770

Level 23.80

Jan 2007

Old Mar 19, 2008, 09:10 AM #8 of 76
(3 points) Dragon's Fury (Game Rip) - OMAKEBGM00 (Thunder Force II: Knights of Legend)
(2 points) DOUBLE DRAGON II The Revenge - Low Pursuit (Mission 2)
(1 point) Dynamite Headdy (Game Rip) - Schumacher Fly

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2008, 09:36 PM #9 of 76
Next nom

Artist: Hiroshi, Aiai
Game: R-Type Leo (Game Rip)
Track: Paradise Planet (Stage 1)
Year: 1992
Source: r-type leo at arcade-history: video games, pinballs, slot machines, etc.

Uploading to nom folder

Opfer
nice

Member 28563

Level 18.16

Mar 2008

Old Mar 21, 2008, 08:02 AM Local time: Mar 21, 2008, 03:02 PM #10 of 76
I'd like to nominate something from Metroid Prime. The game is probably not very obscure, but I also think that it is not very well known for its soundtrack, since most of the music is very ambient. There are some exceptions to this, like boss fights (although you mostly don't pay attention to the music on the first play-through since the battle is so intense ) and a couple of tracks that are pretty melodic and rhythmic (of which I'd like to nominate one).

So I'm not sure if this complies with the obscurity rule, please tell me if it's okay to nominate this, then I'll post the track details and upload it.

Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2008, 08:11 AM Local time: Mar 21, 2008, 07:11 AM #11 of 76
It might depend. Some of the melodic tracks are actually arrangements of Metroid and Super Metroid tunes, which are very well-known. I don't think I'd have a problem with one of the more obscure tracks though.

How ya doing, buddy?

"Castitatis" (Elfen Lied - Lilium ~opening version~)
The Doujin Music Thread | backloggery
Opfer
nice

Member 28563

Level 18.16

Mar 2008

Old Mar 21, 2008, 08:16 AM Local time: Mar 21, 2008, 03:16 PM #12 of 76
Okay, I don't know Metroid and Super Metroid, so I'll just get more specific:

SCDC-00276~7: Metroid Prime & Fusion Original Soundtracks - VGMdb

Disc 1, Track 21 (Tallon Overworld)

orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2008, 10:49 AM #13 of 76
I'm gonna have to say "no" to Metroid. The game is very well-known and tracks from it have done well in the annual Best Song Contest.

I was speaking idiomatically.
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2008, 11:39 AM Local time: Mar 21, 2008, 06:39 PM #14 of 76
Metroid Prime is relatively obscure, I mean it's a huge game but I don't know anybody that specifically adores the music from them (although I do think everybody agrees that the music is awesome, when asked). I don't think it's really fair to heap them in with Metroid and Super Metroid, which are very well known, pretty much on a Final Fantasy level of fame. So anyway, I'm okay with Metroid Prime. Although I wouldn't be petrified if it didn't make it through, I don't remember if MP got a lot of exposure during BSC for example...

I should nominate something. Something cool and refreshing. Let's see how this does, I don't know if this game is considered too big though, I have a hard time putting .hack//'s popularity into perspective:

Game: .hack// MUTATION
Title: Culture City Server Carmina Gardelica (rtown2 Lambda)
Album: .hack// Game Music Perfect Collection (Disc 1)
Composers: Chikayo Fukuda, Seizo Nakata
Download link!

Last edited by surasshu; Mar 21, 2008 at 11:58 AM.
Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2008, 10:04 PM #15 of 76
Sorry, but I'm gonna have to vote no on Metroid Prime. I think between tracks in BSC and just general vgm fan exposure, it doesn't really fit in SotW. Also, I think that track's one of the most well known ones, no?

FELIPE NO
Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

Last edited by Drakken; Mar 21, 2008 at 10:15 PM.
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2008, 10:23 PM Local time: Mar 21, 2008, 08:23 PM #16 of 76
Okay, I don't know Metroid and Super Metroid, so I'll just get more specific:

SCDC-00276~7: Metroid Prime & Fusion Original Soundtracks - VGMdb

Disc 1, Track 21 (Tallon Overworld)
Tallon Overworld contains the Brinstar theme from the original Metroid. Hits with full force at about a minute and a half in.

I'm pretty skeptical about allowing any music from at least the first Prime, myself.

Undertale (PC, 2015)
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2008, 10:37 PM Local time: Mar 22, 2008, 11:37 AM #17 of 76
I should nominate something. Something cool and refreshing. Let's see how this does, I don't know if this game is considered too big though, I have a hard time putting .hack//'s popularity into perspective:

Game: .hack// MUTATION
Title: Culture City Server Carmina Gardelica (rtown2 Lambda)
Album: .hack// Game Music Perfect Collection (Disc 1)
Composers: Chikayo Fukuda, Seizo Nakata
Download link!
I think there was a .hack nomination in the past? I have no issues with the nomination.

Most amazing jew boots
I think therefore I am... I think.
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2008, 10:46 PM Local time: Mar 21, 2008, 08:46 PM #18 of 76
Yeah, staff4 from the same album. Week 6. Placed third.

I am also okay with this.

Undertale (PC, 2015)
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2008, 11:31 PM Local time: Mar 21, 2008, 10:31 PM #19 of 76
Tallon Overworld contains the Brinstar theme from the original Metroid. Hits with full force at about a minute and a half in.
I thought so too but I forgot there are apparently two Tallon Overworld tracks. I don't have the soundtrack handy to cross-reference the track number directly, but I did find this which is completely original.

Most amazing jew boots

THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2008, 12:00 AM Local time: Mar 21, 2008, 10:00 PM #20 of 76
Hmm, yeah, the one with Brinstar in it is Planet Tallon IV (track 7). Tallon Overworld is the one in that video. Didn't catch any previous Metroid themes in that one either. My overall reservations on Prime music still stand, though.

Undertale (PC, 2015)
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2008, 01:24 AM Local time: Mar 22, 2008, 12:24 AM #21 of 76
Yeah, I don't really have strong feelings either way, but I think I'm leaning towards no.

Most amazing jew boots

Opfer
nice

Member 28563

Level 18.16

Mar 2008

Old Mar 22, 2008, 04:49 AM Local time: Mar 22, 2008, 11:49 AM #22 of 76
Yeah, well, with that link to VGMdb you should have all the info you need for a valid nomination, so I guess it's up to you to decide. I'm not high enough on the queue to get it in next week, so there's still time to decide. Your call.

Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Mar 22, 2008, 11:34 AM Local time: Mar 22, 2008, 09:34 AM #23 of 76
Quote:
"This is Exceliza, I'll deploy now!"

"Roger! Good Luck!"
3 points - Dragon's Fury (Game Rip) - OMAKEBGM00 (Thunder Force II: Knights of Legend) - I'm a bit fond of the rearrangement of this track, there being 3 versions of it I've actually heard. This one has a bit more meat to it, though the arrangement from Technosoft music collection has a killer bass line. That being neither here nor there, this one grew on me a lot.

2 points - Dynamite Headdy (Game Rip) - Schumacher Fly - Wow... just, wow. A lot is done for being a Genesis/Mega Drive tune. It was a tough pick between this and Knights of Legend for 3 points.

1 point - DOUBLE DRAGON II The Revenge - Low Pursuit (Mission 2) - In the same boat as Crash here, I didn't know there was an arrangement available. I'd love to hear more of this stuff in the future.

Next Nomination:

Sorry, Darkcomet72, but this one is mine!

Album: Omega Five Soundtrack
Track: Stage 1: The glacial fortress
Artist: Hiroyuki Iwatsuki

Source: SRIN-1041: Omega Five Soundtrack - VGMdb

Uploading to SotW FTP.

FELIPE NO
ikkei
Good Chocobo

Member 371

Level 18.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2008, 01:58 PM Local time: Mar 22, 2008, 07:58 PM #24 of 76
So... this is it:

1 point ~ DOUBLE DRAGON II The Revenge - Low Pursuit (Mission 2)
1 point ~ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - To Catch an Owl
1 point ~ Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow (PC Redbook Audio) - The Mojo Mansion
3 points ~ Real Bout Garou Densetsu 2 Arrange Sound Trax - Get the Sky ~ With Your Dream

Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2008, 04:01 PM #25 of 76
(3 points) Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow (PC Redbook Audio) - The Mojo Mansion

I'm extremely nostalgic about this song in part for having played to the game, but also since I used to listen to the soundtrack back in 6th grade by putting the game disc in a CD player. I find "The Mojo Mansion" to be very special, not a style and sound you encounter frequently in VGM. While slightly childish and repetitive, it's still so catchy and memorable, it gets me every time and I can't help but feel good. Definitely a tune to whistle to!

P.S. To the person in charge of editing the tags, I was wondering why the artist order was inverted? Not a problem, but I'd still like to understand why this was done. Thanks!

(2 points) DOUBLE DRAGON II The Revenge - Low Pursuit (Mission 2)

Phil Collins' Easy Lover? Nope, but real close though. O'Bits did some truly awesome arrangements and this track is one of my favorites. Love the punchy rhythm and the saxophone!

(1 point) Kameo: Elements of Power Original Soundtrack - Hero's Theme

Grandiose! Perfectly conveys the heroic theme, especially with the rich choir. Some less captivating parts, but overall a moving piece.

-------------------

Dragon's Fury (Game Rip) - OMAKEBGM00 (Thunder Force II: Knights of Legend)

Yay for classic arcade shmup music! "OMAKEBGM00" is a powerful piece, yet to my ears, it sounds like so many other shooter tunes. Not the most original VGM track, but staying in the safe zone helped it to be good (but failed to reach the chance to be "OH MY GOD!" great in my book).

Duck Tales 2 (Game Rip) - Scotland Theme

A jazzy NES tune that is pleasant, yet not elaborated or overwhelming enough compared to the other songs this week.

Dynamite Headdy (Game Rip) - Schumacher Fly

This is a great chiptune and I definitely like it. However, the competition is very strong this week, so I'm sorry but my mere 6 points are already distributed.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - To Catch an Owl

Beautiful film-like music which captures well the feeling of flying (if it's actually related to it in-game).

Real Bout Garou Densetsu 2 Arrange Sound Trax - Get the Sky ~ With Your Dream (Alfred)

Yippee! What a neat rock number, with many different instruments and segments. Slightly generic in my opinion, yet quality material nonetheless. Let's see, how many points do I have left? All gone already? Damn!

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > [SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 124 Voting/WEEK 125 Nominating