Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] Avatar: The Last Airbender ... Movie

Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old Jan 9, 2007, 08:44 PM Local time: Jan 9, 2007, 05:44 PM #1 of 12
Avatar: The Last Airbender ... Movie

Source

Quote:
Shyamalan will write, direct and produce the adaptation, which Nick hopes will turn into a three-picture series with Shyamalan's continuing involvement. The project marks the first time that Shyamalan, who is known for crafting original screenplays, will direct material he didn't create. It also is a rare foray for him into the kids pic arena, though he did flirt with directing one of the "Harry Potter" movies and did co-write 1999's "Stuart Little."
I enjoy the cartoon, but a live-action movie just seems kind of and fail. Hopefully this information isn't legit and a false claim or jump of the gun.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
JasonTerminator
Sup staypuft.

Member 1276

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Jan 9, 2007, 09:06 PM Local time: Jan 9, 2007, 07:06 PM #2 of 12
Why on earth he chose this over Harry Potter, the world will never know.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Acacia
Chocobo

Member 1401

Level 12.13

Mar 2006

Old Jan 9, 2007, 09:17 PM #3 of 12
)= Yeah, I just saw this now too...

Well, I kinda like 6th Sense.

It's also going to be a live-action movie, which sounds kinda strange. Though, maybe the guy who voices Zuko (he played Rufio in Hook <3) can be his own character's actor!

I'm also worried about the "bending"; hopefully it won't look too fake or awkward.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Ryuu

Member 1380

Level 27.88

Mar 2006

Old Jan 9, 2007, 09:37 PM #4 of 12
I'm not too big on live-action. I like the series and all, but I may wait until people tell me good things about the movie before I bother watching it. To me the issue is 'bending' - and chances are I doubt it'll be done well.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:02 AM #5 of 12
Avatar by Shylaman? Let's see if he can redeem himself on this one. Ehh.. I only enjoyed 6th sense and Signs. Anything else that's by him is just simple. Many fans can disagree and say that no one really understands his concept. But whatever.

I was hoping for a DBZ Live action </sarcasm>

How ya doing, buddy?
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:10 AM Local time: Jan 10, 2007, 07:10 AM #6 of 12
A live action movie had crossed my mind before, and when you think about it, all bending is rooted from real martial arts style and aside from Aang, they are still rooted to the ground and performing it. The only real concern are the special effects, the industry has the tech, skills and talent to make it look awesome, but it all comes down to funding it. Choreograph is also an important element, but with the HK martial arts effects guys now getting more exposure and attention, again, its not a major issue.

Some people commented how the fight scenes from Crouching Tiger, Hero etc looked cheesy, but thats how most martial arts movies or shows with fantasy elements work, and Avatar has alot of fantasy elements. I've seen so so special effects from period shows in Hong Kong, and they dont look horrible at all, it may take some getting used to though.

I think the more concerning issues is the writing, are they going for a gaiden like side story, a prequel to the animated series or worse, following the series current timeline? And are any of the writing cast from the show gonna be involved? The Key difference between a dumb ol kids cartoon and shows like Avatar are good writing and CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT, and Avatar has a huge and solid ensemble of characters and they all developed well in a mere 2 seasons.

Anyone who has seen Shaolin Soccor or Kung Fu Hustle that with the right crew you can embrace the wacky humour and also the spirituality of the show. Adding a good cast and a solid writing team that stays true with the original show, it is possible to make a good adaptation from the show.

However, knowing how the industry really works, I doubt they would put that much detail in the movie, I mean Peter Jackson made LOTR in great detailed all the way to the minute, and look how they treated him. Now imagine what they can possible screw up in Avatar cause the coporates are stingy greedy bastards with no artisitic integrity. If they're smart, they should have a joint co operation with Hong Kong's movie industry, the costume designs and sets from Avatar are stright from China, despite the show's multi asian influences. We proba have enough Chinese period clothes from movies and shows to clothe a entire country, and have plenty of sets for Town scenes. If they so any natural exterior shots, then either rural parts of China or New Zealand.

As for the director, eh, he had his ups and downs but there are probably alot worse choices than him...

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :

Last edited by Kairi Li; Jan 23, 2007 at 06:20 AM.
hime
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 18434

Level 1.00

Jan 2007

Old Jan 18, 2007, 10:25 AM Local time: Jan 18, 2007, 09:25 AM #7 of 12
I think it'll be cool and all...I mean...I LOVE the show....mostly for the martial art forms and the philosophies that they sometimes present in the show. I think the whole live-action thing will be interesting to see...especially if they can find someone who ACTUALLY knows and studies the different styles they use to format the bending in the show. For me the only downfall will be that I don't think they will be able to use all the same charecters who do the voices on the show as the actors....which will be somewhat of a disappointment....but for me the biggest on will be that...unfortunately they won't be able to use Mako...who...in his younger days....could probably have actually done some of the "bending" in the movie.....that's what'll get me down about the movie. Other than that....I say "right on" let's see what they can do wth it. Besides, if the movie bombs.....we've always got the show!

FELIPE NO
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2007, 09:15 AM Local time: Mar 21, 2007, 06:15 AM #8 of 12
News on the live action movie, and it may ease your worries.

Quote:
Fans will be pleased to hear that Mike DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko have finally voiced their thoughts about the upcoming live-action Avatar movie.

In an interview with Sci-Fi.com the co-creators said they are looking forward to the movie and have met with Shyamalan and feel confident he will stay true to the Avatar storyline.

"The movie is in the earliest stages, so it is too soon to comment on exactly what we will be doing," said Konietzko. "However, Mike and I have met with Night and, on top of really admiring his craft, he is a great guy who really respects the material. It means a lot to us that he personally chose to do this project and we look forward to helping him in any way."

This news comes as an enormous relief to many Avatar fans who feared the live-action movie might diverge substantially from the original story. It also dispels fears that the co-creators were going to be left completely out of the creative process as Paramount did not specify their level of contribution when announcing the deal with Shyamalan.

"We are thrilled that there is going to be a feature film of Avatar and that M. Night Shyamalan is writing, producing and directing it," DiMartino said. "Personally, I can't wait to see Appa fly!"

Thanks to Lisa31468 for the update, and the many others who emailed with the news!
http://www.avatarspirit.net/

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

dusk
with our faces pressed together

Member 7273

Level 7.53

May 2006

Old Mar 21, 2007, 11:25 PM Local time: Mar 21, 2007, 08:25 PM #9 of 12
I _heart_ Avatar. I don't know about M. Night writing and directing a live-action movie of it, though. I've seen his suspense/thriller/"scary" movies, but never thought of him directing for something like Avatar. I only hope he stays true to the show's story, which I'm sure he will. If they HOLLYWOOD-IZE this story... I'll get fierce. Like, REAL fierce.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2007, 01:19 AM Local time: Mar 21, 2007, 10:19 PM #10 of 12
This is just one of those few shows that I really don't want to see in live-action. Beyond the fantasy elements present, there's the heavy emphasis on martial arts, which few kids actors are going to be good at. One way or another, I can't see any good coming from this. That much should've been obvious to the creators and Mr. What-A-Twist!

However, that's really just my fan-side coming out. I'm not a dedicated or even diehard fan of the show, as despite it being pretty good, it's still a pretty 'kiddish' cartoon. Gotta keep the demographic in mind. The little kiddies are going to eat this up regardless of the sub-par kung-fu performances of the child actors. And, in the end, I really don't have to watch this. So everything's cool.

Yeah. Nnn~

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2007, 04:43 AM Local time: Mar 22, 2007, 01:43 AM #11 of 12
Kiddish? Have you bothered to watch the 2nd season of Avatar? Its alot heavier now and its a very well done show beyond the kiddness of say, dumb shows like Spongebob. We're talking about stuff that is on par or Beyond the recent Justice League animated series. "Cartoons" that also reaches older audiences.

Sure they can't do certain things like anime in Japan can get away with, but Avatar so far is a damn solid piece of work where every character is interesting and well developed, with a moving plot in season 2 with almost no filler episodes that keeps getting better and better, and ends with not so happy season finale. Not many "kiddie shows" can pull off their season 2 finale.

I mean just for example:

Spoiler:
In an episode we have a character name Jet who gets brainwashed by one of the villains in season 2 and then gets killed (though whether he's dead is still debatable, but he was beyond help in the episode). A interveiw with the creators seem to indicated that he's officially dead.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...d=40634&type=0

Instead of Black and white Earth Kingdom good and Fire bad, we see episodes that show the good and bad exist in every culture and nation. Long Feng who brainwashed Jet is a fine example. He's allied with the Earth Kingdom yet only lusts for power and has no regard to the people who were affect by war, he insteads brainwashes anyone who mentions the war and make them believe their city to be a same utopia. Scenes that showed brainwashed people were pretty damn creepy. And the finale ends with the heroes not prevailing and they lose their strongest defense int he war, the city of Bai Sing Sei. And this is just ONE example to why Avatar is no kiddies show.

I suggest reading up on Wikipedia or watch more episodes before making assumptions. As said in the interview link in the spoiler tag, the creators stated :
Quote:
"Such dark moments are "written and directed in a very tasteful and dramatic way, where it's clear what's going on without having to show gratuitous violence. And we are always careful to balance the serious moments with humorous ones."

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Kairi Li; Mar 22, 2007 at 04:56 AM.
Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2007, 04:42 PM Local time: Mar 22, 2007, 01:42 PM #12 of 12
I've watched every season so far and yes, I agree that the show's had it's fair share of dark moments.

Spoiler:
Jet getting his chest caved in by that Long Feng guy wasn't expected, in addition to Azula's lightning zapping of Aang at the peak of his power in the season finale.

That still doesn't keep the show from feeling like a children's cartoon, which it is. I'm not saying that's a bad thing by any means, as Gargoyles was for kids but still maintained a very good storyline and some mature themes while still being entertaining today.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] Avatar: The Last Airbender ... Movie