Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Computer fails to start up

Kaywun
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 23404

Level 1.34

Jul 2007

Old Nov 1, 2007, 11:09 PM Local time: Nov 2, 2007, 12:09 PM #1 of 8
Computer fails to start up

Hey guys,

There was a power surge in our dorm building earlier today and after it I found that my computer wouldn't start up. Everything is plugged into surge protectors, and all my other electronic devices are plugged in properly and work fine. My monitor and speakers connected to the same surge protector still function properly. I am wondering what the cause of this could be. I have tried using another power cable and another surge protector to find the same results. I currently do not have a spare PWS on me, and am hoping that I won't have to go buy a new one as I really don't want to spend any more money on this computer.

Some of my friends suggested overheating or simply the pws having been fried somehow. I need to get the computer back up and running asap as there are some school documents that I need urgently.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Nov 1, 2007, 11:34 PM #2 of 8
It could be either the motherboard or power supply.

Unfortunately, all you can do is first replace the power supply to see if that works. If not, then it's the motherboard.

You could try getting a hard drive enclosure, taking the hard drive out, and hooking it up to another computer to get the data you need.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kaywun
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 23404

Level 1.34

Jul 2007

Old Nov 2, 2007, 08:17 AM Local time: Nov 2, 2007, 09:17 PM #3 of 8
I had a friend look over the computer and he seems to have concluded that the motherboard probably fried as opposed to the power supply since it was plugged in to a surge protector.

I was hoping this computer would hold out until christmas :<

Most amazing jew boots
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Nov 2, 2007, 09:39 AM #4 of 8
Yep, I have had it happen to me my friend, I have had it happen to me.

You can replace the motherboard...but Windows will be antsy unless you get the EXACT same type. If you get anything even with a minor difference, Windows will freak out due to the different hardware, resulting in you having to reinstall Windows.

My advice is to get an external hard drive enclosure, slap it on the hard drive for your current computer, and then plug it into another computer to back up the data.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Trigunnerz
!!!

Member 814

Level 22.27

Mar 2006

Old Nov 2, 2007, 10:59 AM Local time: Nov 2, 2007, 07:59 AM #5 of 8
I had a friend look over the computer and he seems to have concluded that the motherboard probably fried as opposed to the power supply since it was plugged in to a surge protector.

I was hoping this computer would hold out until christmas :<
Even when I had it plugged to a surge protector, my power supply was still blown during a power outage. Maybe my surge protector was shitty.

How ya doing, buddy?

Dance party!
Kaywun

Member 23404

Level 1.34

Jul 2007

Old Nov 2, 2007, 11:38 AM Local time: Nov 3, 2007, 12:38 AM #6 of 8
I was using a barebone case from Soltek so I'm pretty sure it will be annoying to get a replacement mobo. I don't want to spend any more money into this computer so I'm probably going to give in a build a new one. I'm looking to spend about 1.2k - 1.3k, think this is possible?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2007, 08:30 AM #7 of 8
1200 to 1300? That should be plenty. Heck, Wal-Mart just recently released a 200 U.S.D. computer (and since your old computer got fried, but you still have WIndows XP, you should be allowed (althoug hperhaps not able) to install XP on your new computer).

FELIPE NO
^-^
A pretty face doesn't mean a pretty heart.

Member 769

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2007, 12:03 PM Local time: Nov 4, 2007, 12:03 PM #8 of 8
He'd just have to do a repair install.

He wouldn't have to format or anything.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
WALK WITH THE DREAMERS,
THE BELIEVERS, THE COURAGEOUS,
THE CHEERFUL, THE PLANNERS, THE
DOERS, THE SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE WITH
THEIR HEADS IN THE CLOUDS AND THEIR
FEET ON THE GROUND. LET THEIR SPIRIT
IGNITE A FIRE WITHIN YOU TO LEAVE THIS
WORLD BETTER THAN WHEN YOU FOUND IT.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Computer fails to start up