Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[:plant:] Smash Bros. DLC Speculation - I'm a salty asshole. Want to fight about it?

Old Nov 3, 2018, 05:27 PM 2 #1 of 7
Cool Smash Bros. DLC Speculation - I'm a salty asshole. Want to fight about it?

Oh hey a thread on Gamingforce Interactive Forums! Gonna use that potted plant thread prefix because Pang got us one as a playable character in the game. Thanks Pang. No actually for serious and for true thank you. Piranha Plant is super rad.

So I'm bored and apparently we have until February 2020 to find out the five new DLC fighters that are coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Plenty of time for speculation. What are the five characters that you think are coming? What five characters would you like to see? What is the best and worst case scenarios for these five characters?

IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE POTENTIAL SPOILERS THEN FUCKIN' LEAVE NOW

Insider leakers like Vergeben have said there will be a Square-Enix character and that Minecraft will be in the game in some form. Apparently Square-Enix is telling employees different characters in order to pinpoint who is leaking information, so all we know at this point is that there apparently will be a character from them. We don't know if we'll get any extra assist trophies or items in the future, so while a creeper as an assist trophy that wanders around and blows up once its close enough to a player seems like a no-brainer, there is a strong possibility of Steve being playable instead of someone like the duo of Banjo Kazooie that had to have done really well in the Smash Ballot. To be fair, Steve probably did well in the Smash Ballot too, but really? I'm sure they could make a fun character out of him but... Oh yeah, there have also been some rumors that Nintendo is in talks with Cygames (Nintendo owns 5%) with including Katalina from Granblue Fantasy. She looks like she'd fit in with all the Fire Emblem characters *yawn*.

I think it's pretty safe to say at this point that there will probably be a Square-Enix character, a Microsoft character, and at least one Nintendo (or at the very least one that they partially own) character. Namco has been part of the development team since Smash 4 and only has Pac-Man in the game while Capcom and Konami have three characters each, so I'd say it's probably Namco's turn to have a second character. It's pretty wishful thinking to think an Indie character will make it in as a playable character, but I think they should have a representative beyond Shovel Knight as an assist trophy or as spirits *cough*stickers*cough*.

With all that garbage dumped on the floor it's time for potential DLC speculation roster lists:

Mixture of safe guesses and wishful thinking categories:
  • Square-Enix character
  • Microsoft character
  • Indie character
  • Namco character
  • Nintendo character

Best case:
  • Geno or Sora (with Goofy and Donald either as support or in final smash)
  • Banjo Kazooie (maybe Spiral Mountain stage is sometimes made out of Minecraft blocks)
  • Shantae or Quote
  • Klonoa or The Prince or Taizo Hori (Dig Dug) or Wada-don (Taiko Drum Master) or maybe Lloyd Irving
  • Bandana Waddle Dee or Rex (Xenoblade Chronicles 2) or some interesting retro character like Mach Rider

Worst case:
  • Slime or Chocobo or Sora (with no Goofy - really I just want Goofy)
  • Steve or Master Chief or any Battletoad
  • CommanderVideo (Bit.Trip Runner) or Sans
  • Ms. Pac-Man (I think Midway owns the character outside of Japan - too much of an echo anyway) or any of their fighting game characters
  • Katalina (Granblue Fantasy) or any character from Dragonia Lost or another Fire Emblem character or any other gacha game bullshit

Honorable mentions:
Rayman
Goemon
Dixie Kong
Vic Viper
Opa-Opa
Daytona USA's Hornet car from Fighters Megamix
Dante
Leon S. Kennedy
Frank West (he's covered wars you know)
Viewtiful Joe
Wonderful 101
Amaterasu
Phoenix Wright
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
Bub & Bob
Umihara Kawase
Marina Liteyears
Mike Jones
Earthworm Jim
Captain Toad
A Rhythm Heaven character
Impa
A Tetris Block (maybe L block)
Professor Layton
Travis Touchdown
Lumisa Kosugi (La-Mulana)
Kunio-kun (River City Ransom's Alex)
Doomguy

If you have another format of how the five DLC characters for Smash Ultimate will go down, then I'm all ears. Otherwise I'd like to hear your suggestions of who you'd like to make the cut and who you'd find disappointing to make the cut who represent the following: Square-Enix, Microsoft, Indie, Namco, and Nintendo.

Looking forward to see how dead this thread gets. Please prove me wrong! =)))

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by FatsDomino; Nov 4, 2018 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Diss brought up a really good point about Sora in that he kind of sucks
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:31 PM #2 of 7
1. Squeenix character
2. Sega character
3. Rare character
4. Nintendo character
5. Tecmo character

Best case

1. Squeenix: Geno - People have wanted him in for a long time, even Sakurai wants him in. I want to say that it's a safe bet, but after seeing he didn't make the main roster this time anything goes (btw, Piranha Plant is hilarious to see). We haven't seen the costume for him yet for the Mii Gunner, but as soon as someone unlocks it then this might start not looking good. However, maybe the additional money towards DLC could help finally bring him in.

As far as the stage, Forest Maze would probably fit best but there are other stages like Rose Town, Star Hill, and Factory which would fit just as well.

If not Geno, maybe Crono, Sephiroth, Squall, or Sora...though Sora is gonna have to go through Disney. If Sora does make it, Hollow Bastion needs to be the stage.

2. Sega: Tails or Dr. Robotnik/Eggman - Capcom and Konami now both have 3 playable representatives while Sega only has 2. Tails would be a great fit since he already has an Up+B where he flies and then tires out after a bit. Instead of the spin dash, he could use his attack from Sonic Adventure where he twirls around with his tails causing damage. The stage might be a little tough to figure out though, but how about pulling Poloy Forest from Tails Adventures?

Dr. Robotnik would be an interesting charcter to figure out. First off, do you have him on his feet or flying around in his egg hovercraft much like Bowser Jr? His special attacks could be different weapons his hovercraft has used throughout the franchise like the ball and chain from the first game or the drill from Sonic 2. The stage would have to be Death Egg. I thought about Metal Sonic, but he would be more of an echo character than a new one.

Now as for a non-Sonic character for Sega? Nights or Super Monkey Ball are the first that come to mind. Having not played much of either franchise I can't figure out a moveset off the bat, but they have some pretty colorful worlds to implement for a stage.

3. Rare: I'd prefer Conker or Wizpig, and while you couldn't go wrong with either of those Banjo-Kazooie seems the likeliest choice. I really don't have a lot to say about this one as I think people would just be happy to see the combo in the game period. Much like Mario RPG, there are several stages to choose from here and plenty of music as well.

4. Nintendo: I'd like to think Nintendo would make another random addition to the roster such as Excitebike, but there's not enough music to work with to support it. The safe bet here would be another Zelda character, but the one I'm going to bank on is Vaati from Minish Cap. He could have some interesting movesets and it would give Minish Cap some much needed love with the music and remixes (which you could also pull from Four Swords Adventures). For the stage, you've got a few to choose from but I'll go with either Minish Village or Palace of Winds.

5. Tecmo: Ryu Hayabusa. The original Ninja Gaiden Trilogy was on the NES (and SNES) and the 3rd game of the reboot trilogy made it to WiiU. It's a classic character from a classic series which would fit rather nicely with this roster. I wouldn't use his moveset from the Dead or Alive series, but bring out his Ninpo arts from the games ala Mega Man. The stage to use...that's a tough one to call, but I'd say pull the final boss stage from the 1st game with the two demon statues sitting in the background creating some hazards (while it's turned ON).

Worst case scenario:

1. Another freaking Fire Emblem character. We have enough characters and stages from that series.

2. No Geno, instead it's a basic Fighter or Black Mage from the first Final Fantasy.

3. Skull Kid with Majora's Mask. I don't want to be his friend, I don't want him to be in this game.

4. Anymore basic enemy characters like Goombas, Moblins, or Space Pirates.

5. Goku.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:26 AM #3 of 7
Huh, so Atlus got first pick with Joker from Persona 5. I guess we can throw all logic under the bus because we just got another Cloud situation proving that anyone regardless if they've ever had a mainline game on a Nintendo system can get into Smash as long as they're a video game character. Amusing that Xander Mobus voices the Smash announcer, Master Hand, Crazy Hand, and now Joker.

Additional Spam:
Time for a wildcard round: 2B, Doomguy, Crash Bandicoot, and the Fortnite llama piƱata will be the other four DLC character picks. You heard it here first.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by FatsDomino; Dec 7, 2018 at 12:35 AM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Talec
Dandelion Cysts

Member 802

Level 26.92

Mar 2006

Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:34 AM 1 #4 of 7
There better be doomguy

How ya doing, buddy?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 05:22 AM #5 of 7
I guess time to update this thread by mentioning that the Square Enix rep was "The Hero" from the Dragon Quest games specifically DQXI's Luminary with that character having alt costumes of three other Dragon Quest heroes: DQIII's Erdrick, DQIV's Solo, and DQVIII's uhhhhhh I guess his default name is either Shujink? or Eight. Anyway, they look neat. I know it's like *groan* not another sword user but he seems to be more like a Robin/Shulk in that he has selectable magic spells so not your typical Fire Emblem fighter at the very least. Look forward to playing as The Hero sometime this summer!

And then of course the Microsoft rep is Banjo & Kazooie! They look so fucking good! Their moves from the games are translated so well into Smash. Really looking forward to playing as them sometime this fall!

So, I forgot to mention that after Joker was released four Persona Mii Fighter costumes, Sonic's Mii Fighter costume, and Knuckles' Mii Fighter costume were also put up as separate DLC purchases. What makes this interesting is that none of the third party Mii costumes from Smash 4 saw a return to Smash Ultimate at the game's launch. So its fairly likely we will see those costumes return along with the release of new fighters. What would make sense is that old costumes return with a matching company's new fighter. That's what happened with Joker. Sega owns Atlus now so it made sense to bring back Sonic and Knuckles' respective Mii Fighter costumes along with the release of the new Persona ones.

Here are the Mii Fighter costumes from Smash 4 that have yet to be brought back.

Square Enix
  • Chocobo - Final Fantasy
  • Geno - Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Sega
  • Tails - Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Akira - Virtua Fighter
  • Jacky - Virtua Fighter

Bandai Namco
  • Gil - The Tower of Druaga
  • Heihachi - Tekken
  • Lloyd - Tales of Symphonia

Capcom
  • Proto Man - Mega Man
  • X - Mega Man X
  • Zero - Mega Man X
  • MegaMan.EXE - Mega Man Battle Network
  • Hunter Armor - Monster Hunter
  • Rathalos Armor - Monster Hunter

I didn't specifically guess the Hero from Dragon Quest but I had a funny feeling we'd probably get something from Dragon Quest since it is the biggest property Square Enix has and is IMMENSELY popular in Japan. I was leaning towards Slime if we got a Dragon Quest rep and even warmed up to the idea when the possibilities of all the slime types and moves from Rocket Slime were brought up. I did list Slime as a worst case scenario and I regret that. At least the little blue dude will show up on The Hero's stage or possibly in a taunt.

I was right on the money for guessing Banjo & Kazooie and us getting a Microsoft rep. Microsoft joins Bandai Namco in being the second third party to only have one representative in Smash Ultimate. I wonder if they'll end up getting another rep down the line. Here's hoping we get a second fighters pass of five more DLC characters after this one's last fighter gets released.

Anyway, enough of my guess rambling for now. Let's take a look at all the third party companies that have and will be getting characters into Smash Ultimate now:

Konami
  • Snake - Metal Gear Solid
  • Simon - Castlevania
  • Richter - Castlevania

Sega
  • Sonic - Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Bayonetta - Bayonetta
  • Joker - Persona 5

Capcom
  • Mega Man - Mega Man
  • Ryu - Street Fighter
  • Ken - Street Fighter

Bandai Namco
  • Pac-Man - Pac-Man

Square Enix
  • Cloud - Final Fantasy VII
  • The Hero - Dragon Quest XI, III, IV, VIII

Microsoft
  • Banjo & Kazooie - Banjo-Kazooie

As you can see Konami, Sega, and Capcom all have three fighters now.

Sega got their third recently. To be fair to Sega their second and third characters are almost tertiary to them with Bayonetta being developed by PlatinumGames but the Bayonetta IP being owned by Sega (Nintendo owns publishing rights to Bayonetta 2 and 3) and whatever the IP situation they have with owning Atlus for Joker. They just don't feel like Sega reps in my opinion. Sega may own the IP and characters but I think PlatinumGames and Atlus when I look the characters and not Sega. Perhaps Sega will get a more "pure" Sega rep in the future. It's a bit curious that their Mii Fighter costumes for Tails, Akira, and Jacky haven't made a return yet. Well Akira is an assit trophy now... but then again so is Knuckles and his Mii Fighter costume returned.

Konami and Capcom are similar in that they have a unique fighter (Snake and Mega Man) and then a fighter with an echo fighter (Simon/Richter and Ryu/Ken). Perhaps a fourth more unique fighter is in the cards for them to make up for the echo fighters.

Square Enix will have two fighters soon (with The Hero almost making it 4 fighters himself). I'm curious how stingy they'll be with the music this time around. It's almost a no-brainer that the chocobo and Geno Mii Fighter costumes will make a return when Hero drops this summer. However, there's a high likelihood we'll see new costumes like maybe a moogle and other characters from Dragon Quest and other Square Enix properties will show up too. I can't see Square Enix avoiding trying to get as many 75 cents per Mii Fighter costume as they can. Then again, we only got two with Smash 4 so perhaps they don't really care that much.

Bandai Namco has shafted themselves with only having Pac-Man. I'll be a bit surprised if they don't get an additional rep, but it's possible it may not happen until a potential second fighters pass. They have three Mii Fighter costumes but perhaps one of them could become that new fighter.

It would be very surprising if we don't get some Microsoft costumes when Banjo & Kazooie release this fall. I'd expect Mii Fighter costumes for Master Chief, Cortana, maybe a Battle Toad, hell maybe Conker, probably Steve, and who knows what else.

So we have two fighter slots left. If we're to think of those slots as being opportunities for third party companies to re-release old Mii Fighter costumes then Capcom and Bandai Namco definitely have some priority here. Capcom already provided six last time so I'm sure their just itching to get another chance. Nintendo has stated that all the new fighters are from franchises that haven't been in Smash Bros before. If I were to guess based on the franchises that probably make them the most money then I'd bet Capcom would bring in a hunter from Monster Hunter with like 4 or 8 different armor sets depending on male/female hunter and if they replicate armor for each or if they just decide to have 8 different armor sets and not care about replicating. For Bandai Namco I'd have to say a Dark Souls character or a Tales of character seems likely. Some folks think Heihachi might become a Bandai Namco rep and honestly I'm not feeling it because Heihachi's story is over in Tekken 7 and his voice actor Unsh? Ishizuka died and Japan is fairly serious about retiring characters when a voice actor dies. Then again Unsh? Ishizuka also is the voice of Incineroar in Smash Ultimate so perhaps not?

I know I said it would be wishful thinking for a chance for an indie character. This Mii Fighter costume business seems to kind of squash that idea from happening. It would be pretty great to have one. Some folks have considered that Joker = Modern RPG, Hero = Classic RPG, Banjo & Kazooie = Classic Collectathon Platformer, so clearly we'd need a Modern Collectathon Platformer rep. Would be quite amusing to see Hat Kid take up that position as it seems tailor made for her.

It would also be good to get another female character. I'm guessing they didn't bother making DQIV's Sofia (the female hero you could also choose) be the other skin for Solo, but I suppose the skeletal animations wouldn't have aligned as easily for her. Then again it wasn't a problem for Wii Fit Trainer so *shrug*. Solo's alt seems to share the orange/blue colors of one of Sofia's costumes though so a small effort was made to acknowledge her existence.

Microsoft being one of the companies does throw a bit of a wrench into theorizing that all new fighters would be prior third party companies so they can re-release old Mii Fighter costumes. It gives them one less opportunity. However, I could easily see Sega dumping some more of their costumes along with Microsoft or at any time really. The best opportunity must be when there is excitement for a new character, but 25 cents off a buck is still 25 cents off a buck. There are plenty of folks (like myself) that will buy all the Mii Fighter costumes regardless. We may end up with a Bethesda rep with maybe Doom Slayer (DOOM GUY) or the Dragonborn, or maybe perhaps a Tecmo rep with Ryu Hayabusa, Ayane, Kasume, or I dunno some Dynasty Warriors character.

Right, so it'll be interesting to come back to this when Hero and Banjo & Kazooie are released. The accompanying Mii Fighter costumes may tell an interesting story. Or it might all be bunk. I'm certainly curious to find out.

I was speaking idiomatically.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2019, 03:42 PM #6 of 7
Actually the Tails Gunner costume returned with this first wave of Mii costumes. Also, the Dragon Quest Hero being in the game opens up a LOT of music options which I'm hoping they take advantage of for Smash...still rather hilarious they could only get 2 FF7 songs for Cloud. There were a few other tracks which would have worked as battle music on that stage such as J-E-N-O-V-A.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 02:41 AM 1 #7 of 7
Huh... I could have sworn some missing Sonic character didn't have a Mii Fighter released for some reason. Must have been my imagination. Cool. Thanks for the correction!

Would be pretty sweet if they patched in more FF7 songs for those that buy Hero but like nah no way that'll happen. I mean it could happen. I just don't think they'd be that nice is all. Imagine a Castlevania music situation. So many damn FF songs that could be in the game that aren't. Such a shame.

FELIPE NO
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [:plant:] Smash Bros. DLC Speculation - I'm a salty asshole. Want to fight about it?