Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Overrated Movies (or "Why Does Everyone Like Tyler Durden?")

el jacko
nobody knows

Member 838

Level 18.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 06:53 PM Local time: Apr 17, 2006, 08:53 AM #126 of 143
Originally Posted by a_cid
I mean admittedly, it was 1 AM and I was drunk so there is a good chance that I just didn't "get" it. I might one day rewatch it, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
I was neither drunk nor at 1 AM when I saw it and I felt the exact same way. After I finished watching it I felt cheated because the film seemed very pretentious for many of the reasons you listed.

A film that is rather similar but much better is Me and You and Everyone We Know; similar concept but much better execution.

Most amazing jew boots
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 07:10 PM Local time: Apr 16, 2006, 06:10 PM #127 of 143
If you want an existential movie that DOESN'T suck, check out Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.

Watching I <3 Huckabees was like seeing somebody masturbate to a LiveJournal for two hours.

FELIPE NO

"Castitatis" (Elfen Lied - Lilium ~opening version~)
The Doujin Music Thread | backloggery
Arbok
Toho Mikado

Member 325

Level 9.20

Mar 2006

Old Apr 17, 2006, 12:11 AM #128 of 143
Originally Posted by Amy-Chan
The Matrix series is pretty overrated. I work at blockbuster and I tend to like obscure movies and things that aren't so mainstream. I loved the first Matrix, but Reloaded was horrible. I think the Wachowski Brothers did an awesome job on V for Vendetta though. I have nothing against them.
Quoted for basically stating what I had intended to...

I loved the first “Matrix”, thought the concept and execution were both well done. Then Reloaded came and ruined everything to the point where I didn’t even desire to see Revolutions, and still haven’t to this day. However, likewise, I loved “V for Vendetta” and it kind of proved to me that the first Matrix wasn’t just a fluke success for the two either.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 02:04 AM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 02:04 AM #129 of 143
I kind of felt like Office Space was overrated. There are a lot of jokes that can be told many times (and would make me laugh), but the overall story was alright. Not the SUPER AWESOME everyone made it out to be.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Zephos
Syklis Green

Member 994

Level 7.46

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 05:08 AM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 09:08 PM #130 of 143
How are the last two Matrix movies overrated when no-one likes them?

Most amazing jew boots
DarkLink2135
River Chocobo

Member 5122

Level 24.05

Apr 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 11:51 AM #131 of 143
I think its safe to say Napoleon Dynamite is the most overrated movie of all time. I never understood the cult following it got. Yeah there were a couple funny moments...but seriously it really wasn't that good of a movie.

How ya doing, buddy?
Cadenza
-

Member 5445

Level 5.11

Apr 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 04:52 PM Local time: Apr 21, 2006, 09:52 PM #132 of 143
Originally Posted by ComCrimson
Shaun of the Dead is one of the films i think was really over rated that sucked. All my friends were raving on about how hilarious it was so i thought 'Alright then, i'll have a watch of that' so i did and i was disappointed. I didn't laugh once. It was the most un-funniest thing next to The Office. It got way too much hype for what it was in my opinion
Someone with a naruto signature is going to libel The Office. doubleyou-tee-eff.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 06:01 PM #133 of 143
Originally Posted by Capo
While I'll let the 2001 comment slide, as it was a bit boring, A Clockwork Orange was one of the greatest films ever made. Just because you didn't understand it doesn't mean it was bad.
Why do people insist on doing this? I'm not surprised, as this type of respond is typical of fans of an overrated film, but it just doesn't seem like your place to question my intelligence. Ask any teacher I've ever had, I've always been the top analytical mind in my class, whatever the subject. I never said the movie was bad or poorly done (though I'm not saying that it wasn't); all I said was that it's overrated.

I was speaking idiomatically.
vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 06:10 PM Local time: Apr 21, 2006, 06:10 PM #134 of 143
Originally Posted by Zephos
How are the last two Matrix movies overrated when no-one likes them?
Something I've noticed over the years of hearing people judge movies is...people barely seem to know what they're talking about when they say something is over or underrated. It's just like a knee-jerk reaction.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
evergreen
Bullet in the Head

Member 828

Level 19.83

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 03:45 PM Local time: May 3, 2006, 01:45 PM #135 of 143
Originally Posted by Dhsu
If you want an existential movie that DOESN'T suck, check out Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.
Heads. Heads. Heads.

How ya doing, buddy?
mrman1
Carob Nut

Member 1435

Level 4.76

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2006, 09:08 PM #136 of 143
Brokeback Mountain was overrated by the concensus of critics. Imagine an interracial hetereosexual couple. Or just a plain jane heterosexual couple. Then ask how great a "love" story it was.

Crash was overrated by critics I respect, as well as the academy. "A histrionic assemblage of contrivances and monologues that made me pine for Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing".

Equilibrium was overrated by GFF. Worse acting than the last three Star Wars movies combined, without the badass special FX.

I'll pick apart y'all lists later

Double Post:
Originally Posted by JazzFlight
Pretty much anything Spielberg's done for the past 5 years.

A.I., Minority Report, The Terminal, War of the Worlds...

BLECH. He could put a still-frame image of elephant dung onscreen for an hour and a half and the critics would give him 4 stars.

(I haven't seen Munich. It looked different than the other tripe he's been doing lately, so maybe it was good.)
Munich was lesser, high-minded Speilberg (like Amistad and A.I.). Noble, but lacking the lucid intensity of Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List.

Spielberg DID have a shot of triceritops dung onscreen for a minute or so in Jurassic Park, remember?

In case you haven't heard, Spielberg history of popular, sentimental, and excitable filmmaking has created a backlash amongst the pointy-headed professionals of film criticism. Some defend even his worst stuff to the hilt (Armond White). Others thought even Schindler's List was kiddified.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by mrman1; May 11, 2006 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Zephos
Syklis Green

Member 994

Level 7.46

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 08:08 AM Local time: May 13, 2006, 12:08 AM #137 of 143
Originally Posted by mrman1
Brokeback Mountain was overrated by the concensus of critics. Imagine an interracial hetereosexual couple. Or just a plain jane heterosexual couple. Then ask how great a "love" story it was.
Er... That was the point of the movie. Not a gimmick. There would have been little to no dramatic conflict in the film had it been a "plain jane" hetero couple. It was the story of a forbidden love, and one that is still today often considered just that, whereas interracial relationships are generally better-received.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 09:12 AM Local time: May 12, 2006, 11:12 PM #138 of 143
Exactly, just because its a male pairing should not make the movie great.

It was the story of a forbidden love, and one that is still today often considered just that, whereas interracial relationships are generally better-received.
No, it was the story of a homosexual male love. A forbidden love between a man and a woman would have been crap. And a forbidden female homosexual pairing would of made it smut.

Munich was lesser, high-minded Speilberg (like Amistad and A.I.). Noble, but lacking the lucid intensity of Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List.

Spielberg DID have a shot of triceritops dung onscreen for a minute or so in Jurassic Park, remember?

In case you haven't heard, Spielberg history of popular, sentimental, and excitable filmmaking has created a backlash amongst the pointy-headed professionals of film criticism. Some defend even his worst stuff to the hilt (Armond White). Others thought even Schindler's List was kiddified.
Jurassic Park was like 10 years ago or something :/. I actually like speilberg's more recent stuff. Most of his stuff always seemed so formulaic and for mass consumption, it's not until more recently that I've felt he's actually been creating several good films within a relatively short period of time.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
FFXI - Asura - Brd :3
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 09:22 AM #139 of 143
Originally Posted by Dhsu
The movie is AWFUL. The play is great.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 09:44 AM #140 of 143
Er... That was the point of the movie. Not a gimmick. There would have been little to no dramatic conflict in the film had it been a "plain jane" hetero couple. It was the story of a forbidden love, and one that is still today often considered just that, whereas interracial relationships are generally better-received.
I'm going to have to go ahead and disgaree with you, here.

Brokeback Mountain, in my opinion, WAS a gimmick. It was a love story between two fags in the most unexpected of places and people.

First of all, this is not the first movie of it's kind. If you think it is, I encourage you to browse other gay/lesbian film titles. There are PLENTY out there. The only thing that made THIS movie unique is that they actually put it out in the mainstream.

Sure, it indicates that fags and dykes are being more accepted in society, but the film itself was nothing new and nothing profound. It was just a gimmick.

It was just another love story in my eyes. Another boring, bland love story.

Sorry. =/

How ya doing, buddy?
Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 09:50 AM Local time: May 12, 2006, 08:50 AM #141 of 143
Quote:
Posted by mrman1
Equilibrium was overrated by GFF. Worse acting than the last three Star Wars movies combined, without the badass special FX.
What astounded me the most about this was how incredibly dull the gunfights were. People were making a big deal about the gun-kata, but it doesn't even look like he's doing anything, he just waves his guns around and people die. True to how it might look in real-life, perhaps, but it makes for boring cinema. It should look like he has some method to his madness instead of coming off as a plot excuse to avoid complicated choreography.

The pistol fight at the end was badass, though. Not enough to justify sitting through the whole movie, but at least there was one worthwhile scene in it.

I was speaking idiomatically.
mrman1
Carob Nut

Member 1435

Level 4.76

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2006, 07:10 PM #142 of 143
And THAT scene was ruined by the fact that no one was skilled enough to USE THEIR FEET!

Christ.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Overrated Movies (or "Why Does Everyone Like Tyler Durden?")