Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Overrated Movies (or "Why Does Everyone Like Tyler Durden?")

evergreen
Bullet in the Head

Member 828

Level 19.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 05:13 AM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 03:13 AM #1 of 143
Overrated Movies (or "Why Does Everyone Like Tyler Durden?")

You know the feeling. Seeing a college dorm room and looking at the Fight Club posters or the Pulp Fiction DVD lying on the floor, worn from use. Going on some video game site or anything otherwise not directly film-related and seeing the Saint's Prayer or whatever from Boondock Saints.

You can't escape them. These are the movies that everyone and their mother's mother has seen, those helped on word of mouth and e-mail and poorly spelled Instant Messenger message. The films quoted by people who, in all probability, have only seen the trailers.

These are the overrated movies.

What would you say are some of yours and which ones can you absolutely not stand?

As a means of instigating, I will merely state one title:

Napoleon Dynamite.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 05:17 AM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 12:17 PM #2 of 143
I get the feeling that the group of Fight Club fans is about as large as the ''Hurr, this is overrated, and everyone totally missed the point!!'' camp.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 05:41 AM #3 of 143
Well, since the three movies you mentioned are all on my favorites list, I can only assume that you either have sucky taste in movies or you...OK nevermind. You just have sucky taste in movies.

Saying something is "overrated" is almost always an opinion - not a fact - but I didn't like the Matrix movies or the Star Wars movies. Does that mean they're overrated? Probably not. More likely they just aren't my thing.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Jessykins
Burnt out on dealing with mortals

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 05:59 AM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 03:59 AM #4 of 143
Originally Posted by AliceNWondrland
Saying something is "overrated" is almost always an opinion - not a fact - but I didn't like the Matrix movies or the Star Wars movies. Does that mean they're overrated? Probably not. More likely they just aren't my thing.
Wouldn't saying someone has sucky taste in movies for disagreeing with one of your favorites be the exact same situation?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 07:47 AM #5 of 143
Is your sarcasm detector broken or what.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 08:14 AM #6 of 143
Originally Posted by Aardark
I get the feeling that the group of Fight Club fans is about as large as the ''Hurr, this is overrated, and everyone totally missed the point!!'' camp.
Well, the thing is that Fight Club is a well written, well executed peice of film. The problem is in the fact that people (and the internet) ruin everything - not unlike how Star Trek fans pissed all over Enterprise despite it having some of the best stories the franchise had in many years.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Ascendancy
I'm a second year student!

Member 1628

Level 9.05

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 08:26 AM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 01:26 PM #7 of 143
Originally Posted by evergreen
You know the feeling. Seeing a college dorm room and looking at the Fight Club posters or the Pulp Fiction DVD lying on the floor, worn from use. Going on some video game site or anything otherwise not directly film-related and seeing the Saint's Prayer or whatever from Boondock Saints.

You can't escape them. These are the movies that everyone and their mother's mother has seen, those helped on word of mouth and e-mail and poorly spelled Instant Messenger message. The films quoted by people who, in all probability, have only seen the trailers.

These are the overrated movies.

What would you say are some of yours and which ones can you absolutely not stand?

As a means of instigating, I will merely state one title:

Napoleon Dynamite.
Did you actually "get" Fight Club?

*edit*
In my opinion the most overrated movie would have to be The Blair Witch Project, I heard so much hype about this movie "scariest ever lolz" but when i went to see it I was severely disappointed.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Ascendancy; Apr 11, 2006 at 08:38 AM.
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 08:28 AM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 05:28 AM #8 of 143
Read the book by Palahniuk first. I think it's better in that media, anyway.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 08:33 AM #9 of 143
Really, I have to wonder if he's seen any of the movies he mentioned or if he just decided in advance that they were "overrated".

Pulp Fiction overrated? That's like saying Don Quixote is an overrated book. Some thing just aren't up for debate.

YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 08:42 AM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 05:42 AM #10 of 143
Yeah, that one suprised me. I could kind of understand him thinking Fight Club was overrated, with people proclaiming it the best movie of all-time, but Pulp Fiction? Come on...

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 08:54 AM #11 of 143
Well, Pulp Fiction suffers from oversaturation in the same way that Fight Club does. Having 15 year old boys putting up posters from great movies does nothing to bolster why they're great. If you asked them what makes them so great they'd probably say "That movie is sooooooo fucked up" - which is only the thinnest sliver of what makes either movie great.

The problem is that the general public doesn't understand what makes good things good. They lack the ability to go any further than what they see and hear in terms of quality.

Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 09:02 AM #12 of 143
Well, since the three movies you mentioned are all on my favorites list, I can only assume that you either have sucky taste in movies or you...OK nevermind. You just have sucky taste in movies.
Quoted for truth (sarcasm and all).

One movie that I really disliked was Lost in Translation. I would say that it's overrated, but I don't think that I "got it", so I won't.

Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 09:06 AM #13 of 143
Oh dear Lord, please don't. I can only take so many slaps to the face in one day.

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 09:08 AM #14 of 143
So it's okay to say that some movies are overrated but not the ones you enjoy?

Just how weak-willed are you, woman?

ComCrimson
MYV

Member 115

Level 12.39

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 09:11 AM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 03:11 PM #15 of 143
Shaun of the Dead is one of the films i think was really over rated that sucked. All my friends were raving on about how hilarious it was so i thought 'Alright then, i'll have a watch of that' so i did and i was disappointed. I didn't laugh once. It was the most un-funniest thing next to The Office. It got way too much hype for what it was in my opinion

FELIPE NO

Cheers B4!
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 09:14 AM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 06:14 AM #16 of 143
Maybe you just don't like humor that isn't "in-your-face".

Or parodies.

How ya doing, buddy?
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 09:17 AM #17 of 143
Originally Posted by Capo
Maybe you just don't like humor that isn't "in-your-face".
I think you just took the words out of my mouth. Ive never been able to aptly explain why I think movies like Waterboy or Wedding Crashers or Anchorman were incredibly awful - but I think you made the best damned way to argue that point. Thank you.

Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 09:18 AM #18 of 143
LeHah, I wasn't commenting on whether or not Lost in Translation is overrated, since that's really not anyone's call. I'm just saying that my delicate sensibilities have been offended enough in this thread.

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 09:19 AM #19 of 143
LeHah, I wasn't commenting on whether or not Lost in Translation is overrated, since that's really not anyone's call. I'm just saying that my delicate sensibilities have been offended enough in this thread.
People who get insulted by stuff on the internet need to log off and rethink their lives.

starslight
if you want blood

Member 275

Level 17.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 09:20 AM #20 of 143
I've never been able to get into anything by Stanley Kubrick. But since I love Pulp Fiction and Lost In Translation, it's probably my taste in films rather than Kubrick being overrated.

Though I heard enough Napoleon Dynamite quotes to last me a lifetime in high school last year, I thought it was pretty good when I finally saw it a couple months ago.

Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 09:22 AM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 09:22 AM #21 of 143
Shaun of the Dead I love immensely =o

The Matrix movies were well beyond over-rated after the first movie. In all honesty, the Matrix "trilogy" should never have been. Wouldn't have left the series on a sour note with me.

Lost in Translation I got a slight smirk out of. The raves I heard about it was the acting. And Bill Murray delivered. Still, I watched it a couple times on TV, and I had to see it in a "Diversity" class that is required for our degrees here (I picked Women Writers. God help me...) and I don't wanna hafta see it again for all my days.

The teacher had more facts and random trivia about that movie than a Trekkie would know about Season 1.

Fight Club I haven't seen in some time, but I thought it was quite intriguing. The Bitch Tits disease thingie gives me a smirk to this day =p

Napoleon Dynamite floated on phrases largely. I saw it and thought it was average. Reminded me of a good ol' 80s comedy movie. Which isn't a bad thing at all. It had a timeless feel to it (aside from references to the internet) which gives a film a nice atmosphere for some odd reason. Of course, the horse is really getting beaten to death as the main character from ND is being snagged for every god damn movie role available. He'll either be around for a few decades and be remembered as The Pie Fucker Napoleon Dynamite or he'll flop and join the likes of Rob Schneider. Who has no soul.

And while I'm on the note -- every single American Pie movie sucked god-awful. I saw the first in theaters and caught glimpses of the latter ones on TV at points. I must say that those are horrible movies.

In addition, any movie with Will Ferrel seems to be over-rated. Everyone pounces on it saying "zomgsofunny~~" but it isn't my thing. Maybe my sense of humor is too dry for those movies to cater to.

Ascendancy

Member 1628

Level 9.05

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 09:24 AM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 02:24 PM #22 of 143
The problem with this thread is that there are no overrated movies, only movies that people THINK are overrated. Thus arguing.

Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 09:25 AM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 09:25 AM #23 of 143
Originally Posted by Ascendancy
The problem with this thread is that there are no overrated movies, only movies that people THINK are overrated. Thus arguing.
Your OPINION is over-rated, sir!

FELIPE NO
Ascendancy

Member 1628

Level 9.05

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 09:28 AM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 02:28 PM #24 of 143
Originally Posted by Gechmir
Your OPINION is over-rated, sir!
Who's rated my opinion higher than it's deserved? :O

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 09:28 AM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 09:28 AM #25 of 143
Ebert & Roper gave it two thumbs up ;( Sell-outs...

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Overrated Movies (or "Why Does Everyone Like Tyler Durden?")