Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

The Upcoming Marvel Civil War

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 09:20 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 07:20 PM #1 of 53
The Upcoming Marvel Civil War

I've heard about a "Civil War" in the Marvel Comics for a couple months now, so this is the thread to discuss it.

Is it going to be something like The Avengers Vs X-Men or something? or just general assortment of Superhero groups slit down the middile based on some political issue? I don't have the specifics on hand right now.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:14 PM #2 of 53
Not at all. Basically some innocents get killed as a result of superhero vs supervillain nonsense and the US Government for some reason suddenly starts to care. They try to pass a bill that states that all heroes/villains have to reveal their identities and basically Iron Man and Captain America disagree on the issue. This somehow turns into some big war between all Marvel people. People are going to die. That's about all we know so far.

Oh, the Wizard preview seems to imply that it was caused by

Spoiler:
The New Warriors being useless and getting Nitro to blow up himself, and a large portion of some city.

Although nothing has been confirmed yet. I just hope that it turns out better than Infinite Crisis.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
stormshadow
Syklis Green

Member 171

Level 7.02

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:16 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 09:16 PM #3 of 53
From what I have read this is shaping up to be a great crossover. I certainly hope this is much better than the last few times Marvel has tried this.

The DC crossovers have been horrible of late as well.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 02:22 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 03:22 PM #4 of 53
I can't wait for this. Cap vs. Tony, I mean, they've been buddies ever since and now they're gonna fight each other. Each of them thinks what they're doing is the right thing, the other party just doesn't see it their way, so nobody's good/bad. I wonder how this'll go.

Most amazing jew boots
coeccias
Her default movement speed is running isn't it?

Member 197

Level 15.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 02:27 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 12:27 AM #5 of 53
I think this issue has a lot of potential with the current political landscape. I enjoyed the way DC handled it with the JSA and other heroes after WWII and the onset of McCarthyism. If Marvel's approach entails Captain America beating the hell out of somebody, it will certainly pique my interest.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:54 PM #6 of 53
Originally Posted by Mucknuggle
Although nothing has been confirmed yet. I just hope that it turns out better than Infinite Crisis.
Could anything turn out worse than Infinite Crisis?

How ya doing, buddy?
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 06:53 AM #7 of 53
Originally Posted by Acro-nym
Could anything turn out worse than Infinite Crisis?
Ya, like if they gave an angsty teenage Spider-Man cosmic powers and sent him off to be the savior of the universe.

How ya doing, buddy?
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 08:56 AM #8 of 53
No, that wouldn't be worse because that would probally be still be written with some kind of logic and haivng some kind on continuity.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 11:55 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 11:55 AM #9 of 53
What a retarded premise for a Superhero war. It's like Marvel just made this huge metaphor for the Political Palace.

Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 12:36 PM #10 of 53
I don't think metaphor is the right word. Maybe you mean that they made it so that it could be discussed in Political Palace?

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 01:52 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 01:52 PM #11 of 53
No, metaphor is the right word. It's a political issue that can apparently be only solved with violence, and since nothing in the Palace is ever resolved it is sort of a parallel.

Unless this is some Watchmen-esque social commentary about Might Makes Right, which would already be cliched, the implied message is that nothing can ever be resolved except through sheer force. Which is a pretty depressing message considering how minor of an issue this is.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 02:29 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 03:29 PM #12 of 53
In defense of Infinite Crisis, I find it quite entertaining

It has quite a lot to offer to those who have a good degree of knowledge in the DC Universe.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Cyrus XIII
Good Chocobo

Member 554

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 05:06 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 11:06 AM #13 of 53
Let's see how it plays out and count the Kingdom Come prallels (and I'm not saying this to attack Marvel, as a matter of fact, DC's latest retcon mayhem scared me away for years to come).

Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 09:52 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 06:52 PM #14 of 53
So, this is canon stuff and not some sidestory? I can't keep up with all these different little titles being released. Marvel Zombies, House of M, jesus.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 07:21 PM Local time: Mar 23, 2006, 08:21 AM #15 of 53
In light of this discussion, here's some additional info (spoiler warning) of the upcoming Marvel event.

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/show...threadid=63483

FELIPE NO
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:16 PM #16 of 53
Wow. New Avengers: Illuminati

Spoiler:
Namor is a fucking pimp. Seriously, he's great.

I'm a little confused though - in Spider-Man (Amazing? I don't remember which), we have Tony arguing AGAINST the Superhero Registration Act, yet here we have him saying that they should pre-emptively support it. What?

Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2006, 05:44 AM Local time: Mar 30, 2006, 12:44 PM #17 of 53
Spoiler:
i think he ment that it has it's good point but there are bad points too, the cons outnumber the pro's. We'll see where it all goes, but im pretty sure Peter will turn against Toney at some point.

no homo
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2006, 06:00 AM #18 of 53
Originally Posted by Zip
Spoiler:
i think he ment that it has it's good point but there are bad points too, the cons outnumber the pro's. We'll see where it all goes, but im pretty sure Peter will turn against Toney at some point.
Marvel pretty much spoiled that already - just like with Gambit becoming a horseman of the apocalypse.

Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2006, 05:34 PM #19 of 53
Spoiler:
Honestly, I don't think it'll be betrayal so much as dual-involvement. I believe Peter is going to play both sides, working with both Cap and Tony while neither knows what Peter's truly up to. Each one will believe him to be on their side, but he's really on neither. I can't think of a good reason for him to do this. However, this does not stop me from believing that this will occur.

Most amazing jew boots
acid
Fighting For Freedom Wherever There's Trouble

Member 643

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 12:15 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 11:15 AM #20 of 53
Namor is a fucking pimp. Seriously, he's great.

QFT.

Spoiler:
"I'm a King" "Not up here you're not" and the following panel are going to be in serious contention for best comic moment of the year. Namor doesn't take shit from no one apparently. Marvel Universe Jack Bauer.

Before reading Illuminati I wasn't that interested in Civil War. Now I just have to pick it up, I'm quite curious as to who chooses what side.

And I hope that Peter leaves Tony's side for the sole reason of ditching that ugly new costume. Christ, I'd rather have the Ben Reilly Spidey costume or even Scarlett Spider back.

Well, maybe not.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

GI Joe is the codename for America's highly trained special mission force. Its purpose: to defend human freedom against COBRA. A ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world.

24 can't jump the shark. Jack Bauer ate the shark long ago. Now 24 can only jump the water, and that doesn't mean anything. - Jazzflight
<Krizzzopolis> acid you are made of win.
<Dissolution> And now my god damn scissors are all milky
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 01:50 PM #21 of 53
I'm still confused about the whole Tony thing:

Spoiler:
In Illuminati he's all like, we should support this guys! But in Spider-Man he was all like, the reasons why you should not pass this bill are blah blah blah. WTF?

acid
Fighting For Freedom Wherever There's Trouble

Member 643

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 05:17 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 04:17 PM #22 of 53
I'm still confused about the whole Tony thing:

Spoiler:
In Illuminati he's all like, we should support this guys! But in Spider-Man he was all like, the reasons why you should not pass this bill are blah blah blah. WTF?
Spoiler:
In Illuminati he wants them to support it because he feels that the backlash from going against it would be far far worse. This doesn't mean he likes the bill. He hates it. However he feels that they should be prepared to go along with it, as if they don't, things will only get worse. In Spider-Man he's trying to lobby against the bill being passed, but he's still trying to prepare the Illuminati incase it DOES pass.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

GI Joe is the codename for America's highly trained special mission force. Its purpose: to defend human freedom against COBRA. A ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world.

24 can't jump the shark. Jack Bauer ate the shark long ago. Now 24 can only jump the water, and that doesn't mean anything. - Jazzflight
<Krizzzopolis> acid you are made of win.
<Dissolution> And now my god damn scissors are all milky
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:18 AM #23 of 53
Originally Posted by acid
Spoiler:
In Illuminati he wants them to support it because he feels that the backlash from going against it would be far far worse. This doesn't mean he likes the bill. He hates it. However he feels that they should be prepared to go along with it, as if they don't, things will only get worse. In Spider-Man he's trying to lobby against the bill being passed, but he's still trying to prepare the Illuminati incase it DOES pass.
Spoiler:
So in the war he's actually going to be on the pro-bill side while Captain America will be "leading" the resistance?

FELIPE NO

Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 06:11 PM #24 of 53
Spoiler:
So in the war he's actually going to be on the pro-bill side while Captain America will be "leading" the resistance?
So it seems. More importantly, though, is that this Civil War is supposed to split the X-Men and the FF over that issue. On the cover to Civil War: Frontline, it clearly depicts Cyclops on one side and Colossus on another.

Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 06:52 AM #25 of 53
First of all, Civil War starts this week, so we need a thread title change to "Marvel Civil War Discussion Thread". Also, I can't wait for the first issue. Heroes battling it out over whether or not they should receive a paycheck to do what they do. This is the series that actually has me agreeing with 616 Cap (I've hated him because of the Thunderbolts series). This is going to be some good stuff. Check out a preview here:

http://comics.ign.com/articles/700/700643p1.html

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > The Upcoming Marvel Civil War