Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] FFVII Compilation Thread

Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 11:11 PM Local time: Apr 25, 2006, 09:11 PM #251 of 800
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
Spoiler:
"Mouth agape" would be the proper description. I feel drained, if anything else. I enjoyed it, no question, but after 8 months of waiting, I feel sort of empty. Anyone who called this a proper resolution to FFVII is wrong. If anything, it felt like an extended trailer for the compilation. Rufus and the Turks are still around, Sephiroth pretty much hinted that he'll come back again. And then there's all the questions I have; why did Kadaj have all the kids gather at the lake where Aerith died, and why did drinking the water corrupt them? Does the ring on Tifa's finger mean her and Cloud are married?

I guess if I had to summarize it in words, it would be "more please".
Spoiler:
Did you play Dirge of Cerberus? well, I guess you'd better look forward to that then, in terms of the FFVII as a whole, it is actually pretty adequent resolution that tie up a lot of lose ends. Although Advent Children, in my opinion, isn't all about Final Fantasy VII's universe as a whole, but rather then the end of a significant chapter of Cloud's emotional journey, with this, the focuse then can move on to Vincent, if you will. As for Cloud, as they said, "no more emo boy!".

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Magi; Apr 25, 2006 at 11:14 PM.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 11:14 PM #252 of 800
Spoiler:
I didn't play DoC, but I heard it too leaves hints for yet another sequel. I wouldn't want it to end with Vincent, anyway. Like you said, Cloud pretty much cleans away his angst by the movie's end. I want the final chapter to show us what a happy Cloud looks like, and they need to give a final resolution with his relationship with Tifa. While I feel they subtly confirmed things in this movie, it wouldn't hurt to see at least one definitive romantic gesture before the series ends for good.

"You have to choose: A memory...or us?"

Buuuuuuuurn

And I'll admit it; the Turks stole the show.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 11:25 PM Local time: Apr 25, 2006, 09:25 PM #253 of 800
Spoiler:
...I want the final chapter to show us what a happy Cloud looks like, and they need to give a final resolution with his relationship with Tifa. While I feel they subtly confirmed things in this movie, it wouldn't hurt to see at least one definitive romantic gesture before the series ends for good...
I think details like that is probably better left to fandoms. Considering that in Japanese cultures hints and innuendo is very important markers for specific plot point, fans who are familiar with those clues usually doesn't need overt deceleration in order to make conclusion of such things. They then proceed to the next level to fill in the details on the front. Even though a lot of doujin stuff are hentai, there are many genuine attempted at doing just that, and many are quite good at those insights on the details. The only thing that's lacking is the official deceleration of such thing, so its somehow missing, I guess. Although do you think its such a good idea for them to just tie up all the lose end? Besides, it keeps the speculation and aspects of fandom going, so I don't think the details are all that important when certain criteria is fulfilled.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Magi; Apr 25, 2006 at 11:36 PM.
nanstey
CONSTANT VIGILANCE!!!

Member 902

Level 10.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:01 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 12:01 AM #254 of 800
I just got it and watched it tonight - and yeah, I'd like stuff to be resolved a bit more clearly between Cloud and Tifa, and I wish he could get over Aerith - or at least resolve how he felt about her. Anyway, speaking of Aerith, Mena Suvari sounded much better in this one htan in KH2, IMO. Her voice sounded a bit forced in KH2, but that isn't there in AC. Can't really say why, though. Also, what do you all think of Cait Sith having a Scottish dialect? (Probably meant for humorous effect.) Or Red XII only having one line? (Though his voice was spot on - fitting for a character as gentle as he is. Same guy that played Wagner in Front Mission 4, though. And Luis in the same game.) The dub was pretty much as good as it comes, overall - even if they left the mouth movements as they were, which match the Japanese dialogue perfectly.

Most amazing jew boots
That which is, is. Sink or swim. - Wiliiam Shakespeare. There is no ignorange, there is knowledge. - From the Code of the Jedi
Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:20 AM Local time: Apr 25, 2006, 11:20 PM #255 of 800
I actually liked all the english voice-overs. Though, I was kinda disappointed with Newbern's Sephiroth, he sounded more calm than devious (kinda missing the monotone quality that Toshiyuki Morikawa had). Oh, also thought Dave Wittenberg did a great job with Yazoo (I think he desires noteworthy mention). Overall, loved all the performances. Also, great how majority of the grunts and groans were identical the Japanese VA's, made the dub less awkward for me.

I'm glad they did a more literal take on the cell phone bit, as that confused a lot of people when they first watched the Japanese version. Oh and as well as the "did we lose to a memory" line, as the dub made it more clear.

As for DVD menu, kinda preferred the Japanese version over it as JP version seemed more orderly.

Also, kinda awkward how they didn't translate the little dedication/invitation text just before the movie starts, along with the "498 Years Earlier" and the "Northern Cave" text. Just seems sloppy on their part, especially considering how they edited in the english cast for the credits.

The subtitles were kinda icky at times too. There would be instances where they were more like dubtitles than subs, and others it's be a more acurate/literal translation. Some of the gags of the Japanese version seems to be lost in translation too (but I'm guessing that most due to the translator's interpretation).

Ahh, still disappointed that they didn't reanimate the mouth movements.

Spoiler:
Does the ring on Tifa's finger mean her and Cloud are married?
No it doesn't. As if you watch closely, you'll notice that both Barret and Denzel wear the exact same one. If I remember correctly Barret's was on his middle finger (left hand, obviously), and Denzel's was worn as a necklace. My guess was that it was AVALANCHE sort of exclusitivity, but that doesn't exactly hold considering Denzel has one too...

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Hantei; Apr 26, 2006 at 12:34 AM.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:37 AM #256 of 800
Well I just wondered, since the scene where Tifa's berating Cloud for not living on the present, they zoom in on the ring, as if there was some significance to it.

And Newborn's Seph grew on me. The voice really went well with the subtle yet evil vibe Sephiroth is known for. I admit, he scared me silly in this movie. I didn't envy Cloud.

Quote:
I think details like that is probably better left to fandoms. Considering that in Japanese cultures hints and innuendo is very important markers for specific plot point, fans who are familiar with those clues usually doesn't need overt deceleration in order to make conclusion of such things.
That's true, but the FF series is usually much more blunt regarding romances. Take the pond scene with Tidus and Yuna for instance. And it is something a lot of fans want to see, so I feel they should go ahead with it. If anything it would be a final indication of their happiness; Tifa is lonely when Cloud isn't around, and vice versa.

Quote:
and I wish he could get over Aerith - or at least resolve how he felt about her.
I feel this was definetely resolved in the movie.

Spoiler:
Aerith was reiterating what Tifa said, telling Cloud that he needs to let go of the past and embrace his present. The image of Aerith leaving with Zack in the end should be clear cut proof of this. Aerith wants Cloud to live happily with Tifa just as much as Tifa does.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:50 AM Local time: Apr 25, 2006, 10:50 PM #257 of 800
Well I just watched the english dub. My impressions (SPOILERS ABOUND K?)

Spoiler:
Cloud: His voice was different then what I imagined in my head, but I liked it, and the only bad part lipsyncing wise was when he was talking with Rufus at the beginning. I'm split on the vocals... the japanese seemed to have a 'thinking' tone, while the english had a more decisive edge.

Barret: Spot On. Even if the Mr. T comparisons can be made, it was very accurate to how he was in the game, and that's the most important part for characterization. I like how he threw in "Spikey", and "I'll give him 10 minutes".
I liked the english dub over the japanese, partly because you just can't emulate a black man in japanese well.

Tifa: Her voice, while portrayal was very good, it still just seemed weird to me. She was the one character I never could 'voice' in my head when playing FFVII. While no complaints, I'll have to watch it again to get used to her voice.

Cid: Slightly sterotypical, but good enough for me. I think I liked the japanese vocal a bit more.

Cait Sith: Why all the insults at Yuffie? The Irish was NOT how I imagined his voice in the game. I figured a lean towards (Of all characters) Meowth from the Pokemon Anime. Slightly high pitched and a very subtle new york accent.

Sephiroth: Much more 'calm' and calculating then what I imagined, but I can dig it. I'll have to watch again for a more decisive conclusion.

Vincent: Left-field for his voice, although it fits. I got used to it as the movie progressed. The english voice sounded more in touch to his character, but the japanese was audiably cooler. I'm mixed on this one =\

Marlene & Denzel: Pretty much sounded like how they should. Marlene's english dub seemed like a lower pitched version of the japanese, meaning they matched up well.

Yazoo: Definetly better then the Japanese, as I hardly remember that one

Kadaj: As others have said, the english vocal was superb. The ONLY complaint I have is that he didn' have enough emotion/energy about shouting "MOTHER!" when Rufus tossed the case off the building.

Loz: No doubt, I liked the japanese vocal better... it was deeper and more menacing. I did like it when he was all "I'm NOT crying!". The english sounded ... generic.

Aeirth: I didn't think they could do it, but they mangaged to capture (Although not quite as well as the japanese vocal) the sort of 'erethral' other-wordly tone to her voice, as if she wasn't there as a person. Mena Suvari gets a prop for that job.

Zack: Uh, no complaints.

Red XIII: OH why did he only have one line? =x
Excellent english line.

Rufus Shinra: Oh of course I liked it, but as withy a few other voices: Suprising. A second watch will have to get me to decide.

Rude: I'm indifferent about his vocal. The japanese had this 'bass' quality that I liked, but the english was... 'crisp'.

Reno: Spot on, contender for best vocal along with Kadaj. I liked how he was talking smack throughout the movie.

Now as far as the DVD itself goes: They overdid it on the trailers for the movie, and the 'Reminiscense' was lacking in content.
I liked the Making of featurette though. A shame they didn't interview the english vocal actors.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Dark Nation; Apr 26, 2006 at 01:39 AM.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 01:09 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 01:09 AM #258 of 800
I agree. At first, I wasn't real thrilled with Cloud's voice, but I think it was more because of his attitude at the time. When he finally started getting into it and putting a little more emotion out there, I really started to dig his voice. As far as I'm concerned, Cloud's voice was very fitting.

I think some of the best vocal work was done by Sephiroth's and Rufus' VAs though. Rufus's VA really did a good job of conveying that business-esque tone of voice -- voices that presidents of major corporations seem to have. Without that voice, his presence, I don't think, would've been nearly as profound.

Sephiroth's voice though was perhaps the one I could truly say matched with what I had in my head. He sounded devious, evil, dark, etc. Every word he said made me shudder just a bit. You could tell just how damned evil he was in every syllable. Spot on for Sephiroth.

Vincent's VA was also spectacular. If I'm not mistaken, isn't Cowboy Bebop's voice actor for Spike the same guy who did Vincent? Sure sounds like him, and I found it to be really appropriate actually. That particular VA can change the tone of his voice quite well, and Vincent's enigmatic personality really lends itself to that kind of voice talent.

I'll agree to an extent about the lack of emotion, but the only person I really saw it from was Tifa. I think Cloud's was due to his personality and lack of social skill, but I couldn't really find an excuse for Tifa. There were a few lines where I could hear her screaming in my head, but on-screen she was a bit more subtle.

While I'm on the subject of voices, did anyone else notice the lack of sheer volume the voices had for the first good portion of the movie? Damn, I had to turn the subtitles on anyway just so I could understand what they were saying! I'm gonna listen to the Japanese track later and see if the problem carried over or if the VAs just need to project more.

I'll just put all of my thoughts and questions about the movie in a spoiler, jsut to be safe.

Spoiler:
About the ring bit -- I didn't see it on anyone else's finger save for Tifa's. The two glimpses I caught of it looked like it was a ring-sized replica of the lion's head emblem Cloud had on his ear and shoulder brace. I just assumed Tifa had it as a way to keep close to Cloud.

I was really glad they included Zack in the movie. He's a pretty integral part to Cloud's past. But speaking of characters, who the hell is Denzel? Is he just some random kid who gets a part in this movie, or he is of some great importance outside of the geostigma bit and knowing Marlene?

I was quite impressed with Cloud's new Omnislash -- Omnislash ver. 2.0. XD He really tore Sephiroth apart. And when he was being hurled toward Bahamut....damn! That reminds me...in the game, the summon materia was always red, and that was the only real discrepancy I could find in the movie. Kadaj summoned Bahamut with a light-blue materia, one more conducive to magic like Fire or Water, if I remember correctly.

I thought I was gonna wet myself throughout the whole movie.

I guess my only real burning question is the one about Denzel and how exactly he related to the movie outside of the obvious.

Spoiler:
And then there's all the questions I have; why did Kadaj have all the kids gather at the lake where Aerith died, and why did drinking the water corrupt them? Does the ring on Tifa's finger mean her and Cloud are married?

Spoiler:
My take on that was Kadaj had the ability to spread the Jenova cells into the water (during his little "explosion of power" or what have you), but since they came from him, they turned the children into Jenova offsprings, like the Black Robed Men from the game. It likely also reacted to the geostigma, since Kadaj said that was the defining mark of the Reunion.

Aeris's water -- the rain that healed Cloud's geostigma -- contained a counteragent and was able to heal them all. I might not be looking deeply enough into it, but from my first impression that's what I gathered. Oh, I don't think he necessarily had them gather there because Aeris died there. It was their base, and provided the necessary isolation for the task.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge

Last edited by SouthJag; Apr 26, 2006 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 01:19 AM #259 of 800
Quote:
Vincent's VA was also spectacular. If I'm not mistaken, isn't Cowboy Bebop's voice actor for Spike the same guy who did Vincent?
He is. I can't wait to hear a whole game with him (DoC).

Quote:
I'll agree to an extent about the lack of emotion, but the only person I really saw it from was Tifa. I think Cloud's was due to his personality and lack of social skill, but I couldn't really find an excuse for Tifa.
Secluded Cloud=Sad Tifa. It's simple really.

Also...

Spoiler:
It's apparently Omnislash version 5. While it's puzzling enough what happened to Omnislash 2-4, I thought it was Cloud doing Knights of the Round. The weapons were all stationed together, and he did zip around using each one.

Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 01:30 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 12:30 AM #260 of 800
Originally Posted by SouthJag
Spoiler:
About the ring bit -- I didn't see it on anyone else's finger save for Tifa's. The two glimpses I caught of it looked like it was a ring-sized replica of the lion's head emblem Cloud had on his ear and shoulder brace. I just assumed Tifa had it as a way to keep close to Cloud.
Spoiler:
Here are some pics of the rings on Barret and Denzel, incase people didn't catch em. Kinda the best I could do with the capture.

Spoiler:
But speaking of characters, who the hell is Denzel? Is he just some random kid who gets a part in this movie, or he is of some great importance outside of the geostigma bit and knowing Marlene?
They explained Denzel's backstory in the "On the Way to a Smile" side stories, on AC's Japanese website. If I remember correctly, it was translated over at AC.net

Spoiler:
I was quite impressed with Cloud's new Omnislash -- Omnislash ver. 2.0. XD He really tore Sephiroth apart.
Spoiler:
Actually, according to the commentary, it's called Omnislash ver 5.0. There's actually more than one limit break used throughout the movie. Try to see if you can spot them all out. Cloud also does his victory pose too.

Most amazing jew boots
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 01:31 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 01:31 AM #261 of 800
Spoiler:
If I were a betting man, I would've put all money down on that fight ending right there. When I saw him glowing orange and just about to throw down, I had no idea what I was in for, but I knew that was the final attack. Bitchin'.

And sure, sad Tifa and everything but still...sounded like she never really recovered. XD

Mena Suvari did a goo djob with Aeris considering the amount of lines she had. If she would've had more dialogue though, Suvari would've had to step up her vocal game. But then, I don't think ethereal people really talk all that much. >__>;

So then, how many swords does Cloud have? I think I counted 7 in all, but I might be wrong. In certain occassions, like a particular bike chase scene, I thought I saw him make a complete sword with only 5 blades.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Reading --
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 01:34 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 12:34 AM #262 of 800
So then, how many swords does Cloud have? I think I counted 7 in all, but I might be wrong. In certain occassions, like a particular bike chase scene, I thought I saw him make a complete sword with only 5 blades.
It's actually 6. Here's a schematic, shows the swords and how they're stacked. It's a work of art, beautifully designed/crafted/engineered.

How ya doing, buddy?
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 01:35 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 01:35 AM #263 of 800
Originally Posted by Hantei
They explained Denzel's backstory in the "On the Way to a Smile" side stories, on AC's Japanese website. If I remember correctly, it was translated over at AC.net

Spoiler:
Actually, according to the commentary, it's called Omnislash ver 5.0. There's actually more than one limit break used throughout the movie. Try to see if you can spot them all out. Cloud also does his victory pose too.
Spoiler:

I did spot the victory pose he did on his way up to kill Sephiroth, which I thought was just fantastic. Speaking of victory, OMFG I ROFLD when I heard Loz's ring tone. XD And yeah, I saw Cloud use one or two of his Limit Breaks, and if I'm not mistaken Tifa, Yuffie, and Barret each used one. So if Cloud used two, and they all used one, there's 5.

If it's not too much trouble Hantei, could you provide a brief synopsis of what's on AC.net? Or if it is, link me to it?

FELIPE NO

Reading --
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 01:45 AM Local time: Apr 25, 2006, 11:45 PM #264 of 800
Southjag:
Spoiler:

From what I can gather:

Cloud uses Blade Beam against Loz/Yazoo, Climhazard (or a variant of) on Bahamut Sin, Blade Beam 2 and Omnislash 5.0 on Sephiroth (Blade Beam 2 is where the beam splits, I forgot the proper name).

Barret used Big Blow a few times

Tifa probably used a few of her slot attacks (Meteo Dive I recognized), while Cid I think did High Jump.

Spoiler:
Also, Was the part where Vincent swept up Cloud with his cape a low level limit break or just a trick of some sort?

Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 01:51 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 12:51 AM #265 of 800
Spoiler:
I did spot the victory pose he did on his way up to kill Sephiroth, which I thought was just fantastic. Speaking of victory, OMFG I ROFLD when I heard Loz's ring tone. XD And yeah, I saw Cloud use one or two of his Limit Breaks, and if I'm not mistaken Tifa, Yuffie, and Barret each used one. So if Cloud used two, and they all used one, there's 5.
Spoiler:
Haha yea, the Loz ring tone was a great inside joke. As for the victory pose, Cloud also did it during the Kadaj fight too, just before making his final strike. As for the limit breaks. Can't remember how many there exactly were, we did do a run down of them back in the old spoiler thread. I think Cloud did about 4 of his, Tifa definitely did 2 or more, Barret did one (the Big Shot), Cid did one (if you count his lunging jump, I think that was one...), not about the others though.

If it's not too much trouble Hantei, could you provide a brief synopsis of what's on AC.net? Or if it is, link me to it?
Ahh, can't remember much of it. Something about being in the slums of Midgar, during the meteor fall. Lived with someone's (best kept a secret) mother. After she passed away (in attempt to protect Denzel), Denzel started working with the other orphans in attempt to earn a living (during the building of Edge city, they gathered scraps for construction). Later the group catches geostigma, one by one they die. Denzel wondering about blacks out at the Church that Cloud was staying in (Aerith's one, with the flower bed). Cloud brings him in. That's kinda the ruff run down of it all. Best if you read it, as the story is quite good. Here's a link to it.

http://www.adventchildren.net/ff7ac/extra/prologue.php

How ya doing, buddy?
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 02:33 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 12:33 AM #266 of 800
On the limit break

Spoiler:
I think Cloud also did a realistic version of ominislash when he first knock down Bahamut Sin instead of a Braver. Since the finishing slash's timing in that particular sequence is actually similar in compare to the one in-game. This is also something to considered in how some of the limit break might change, I think, because the format has changed.

AC1
BITCHES LOVE SMILEY FACES

Member 2165

Level 8.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 03:01 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 02:01 AM #267 of 800
This is a good site to visit now, I suppose:

http://xthost.info/ffwebnovel/

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 03:03 AM #268 of 800
You can find "On The Way to a Smile" and "Case of Tifa" in this site (along with Aerith's story "The Maiden", written by a different author).

http://xthost.info/ffwebnovel/ EDIT: beat me to it, damn.

I strongly recommend you check it out, as it really helps showing the transaction from post-FFVII characters to their AC counterparts. It also helps making the final scene in the movie even more poignant.

Spoiler:
Cloud and Denzel's relationship is very touching, even if it's only shown briefly in this movie. You get a good father/son vibe with them, and Denzel is ultimately the strongest link to chaining Cloud and Tifa together.

I took a look at Disc 2's extras, and here's some brief thoughts.

The Before Crisis trailer is pretty damn disappointing. The cool anime footage created just for the commercial is obscured with constant videos of the actual game. The rest of the trailer is just footage from Last Order, making its exclusion even stupider.

The Crisis Core trailer is better done, not obscuring any of the anime footage (most likely because they didn't have any actual game footage to show), although plenty of people are going to wonder about this "FFVII anime". The line at the end seems to strongly hint that you won't just be playing Zack, but maybe Cloud, Sephiroth, and Tifa as well.

The Dirge of Cerberus trailer is the best of the bunch, showing off plenty of cool footage that almost warrants it as "Advent Children 1.5". Even if the game still plays poorly, it will make little difference; it looks hot as hell.

The deleted scenes are basically alternate takes on certain dialogues, although I really wish they kept the one with

Spoiler:
Cloud telling Sephiroth how he once viewed him as a hero. Sephiroth's sarcastic response is vintage villany.

The "Distance" extra is very nice, showing you just how serious the guys at Square take the series. I also find it amusing that they refer to FFVII as the pinnacle of the FF series, as it's definetely going to make some jaded fans angry. The interview with Uematsu was a highlight as well; the man has a certain prescence with him that Nomura or nobody else has, speaking with true experience and imagination. Plus it's amusing how he verbely recites the first notes of OWA. You'll also get a chuckle out of Nomura admitting that Cloud is a very weak character emotionally, but how it's also a key in showing his humanity.

My favorite part of the interview was their explanation to why Cloud distances himself from Tifa, even after 2 years. It was pretty much what I was thinking as well.

Oh, and Nomura also spells out how this movie is basically "a first step toward something bigger." If he can continue to outdo himself, the encore will be something spectacular indeed.

Anyway, now that I've given time to let the movie sink in, I've grown to love it even more with time. The fights were the most spectacular I've seen in years, especially the final battle. My most major complaint was the small screentime of the rest of the cast. It was so cool seeing them all again, I really wanted more scenes where they work together. Even Tifa felt underused, and she got a lot of screentime. Remake or sequel, game or movie, I really hope the next iteration will focus more on everyone in total.

What does everyone think about
Spoiler:
Rufus remaining an active role now? Do you think they're trying to play him as a reformed villain now, like with the Turks? I for one don't like it; this is the same guy who set up a public execution for Tifa and Barret. He's bad, and I only approve of his return if he continues to be bad.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
AC1

Member 2165

Level 8.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 03:12 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 02:12 AM #269 of 800
What does everyone think about
Spoiler:
Rufus remaining an active role now? Do you think they're trying to play him as a reformed villain now, like with the Turks? I for one don't like it; this is the same guy who set up a public execution for Tifa and Barret. He's bad, and I only approve of his return if he continues to be bad.
Spoiler:
I don't know. You can just tell Cloud and Rufus had their blood boiling (no Geostigma jokes please) when they confronted each other for the first time in the film. Especially after Cloud kept cutting him off while he was trying to explain his survival of Diamond Weapon's attack. I don't think Rufus and The Turks will be goody-good now, despite their contributions to the film. Reno foolishly spilled the beans about trying to rebuild Shinra, so that right there says something about their agendas.

How ya doing, buddy?
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 03:36 AM #270 of 800
That was one of the funniest moments in the film too.

Spoiler:
"I managed to survive by-"

"Whatever, don't care."

"...escaping at the last minute-"

"Shut up."

" "

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
AC1

Member 2165

Level 8.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 03:40 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 02:40 AM #271 of 800
When Dub Cloud says "Shut Up" it is too damn hilarious, if Kingdom Hearts 2 was an early indication

FELIPE NO
Elrasiel
Take A Last Stand - X3

Member 4186

Level 13.65

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 03:44 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 12:44 AM #272 of 800
Is the Venice Film Festival Footage the whole movie they screened there? How different is it from the final movie?

aznxinterlude
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 5726

Level 1.00

Apr 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 03:59 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 01:59 AM #273 of 800
Anybody get a hold of the preorder bonus disc you get at gamestop or eb? Anxious to know what its contents are........

Jam it back in, in the dark.
WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 04:05 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 01:05 AM #274 of 800
Originally Posted by Elrasiel
Is the Venice Film Festival Footage the whole movie they screened there? How different is it from the final movie?
Not quite. They don't show any of the fight with Sephiroth except for the bit where he slices the big chunk of building into four sections and comes down for a closeup. (The one in the trailers)

Elrasiel
Take A Last Stand - X3

Member 4186

Level 13.65

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 05:14 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 02:14 AM #275 of 800
Oh thanks but how long is the VenicaFilmFestivalFotage? Are there a lot of scenes which didn't made it in the movie (without the descritpion of the scenes of course)?
http://xthost.info/ffwebnovel/ is really greate. I'm reading the FFVII synopsis to refresh my memories and the other 3 short stories before I'm gona watch the movie.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Elrasiel; Apr 26, 2006 at 07:32 AM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] FFVII Compilation Thread