Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PSP] Lunar: Harmony of the Silver Star

Hindman
Good Chocobo

Member 3792

Level 15.57

Mar 2006

Old Sep 12, 2009, 08:36 PM Local time: Sep 12, 2009, 06:36 PM #51 of 108
Haha, it's true; it's true.

How ya doing, buddy?
Hindman
Good Chocobo

Member 3792

Level 15.57

Mar 2006

Old Sep 24, 2009, 12:47 PM Local time: Sep 24, 2009, 10:47 AM #52 of 108
Double post for hands-on preview from the Tokyo Game Show.
Quote:
The sprites have been given a nice treatment, but I was especially impressed at first by the color and smoothness of the environments. Everything was vivid and brought out the dungeon really well, which makes me wonder what kind of makeovers dungeons like Dull Drab Cave #3 will have.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Oct 21, 2009, 11:31 PM #53 of 108
Just a little tidbit of stuff here, the demo for this is available for download on the Japanese PSN. Once I get moved I might try and figure a way to get it, if anyone does before I do, let it known what you think of it!

I was speaking idiomatically.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:05 AM Local time: Oct 21, 2009, 11:05 PM #54 of 108
Just a little tidbit of stuff here, the demo for this is available for download on the Japanese PSN. Once I get moved I might try and figure a way to get it, if anyone does before I do, let it known what you think of it!
You just have to have a japanese account with gold member access. The japanese account is easy. I imagine you could make a second fake email address and renew your access to gold for a month all easy like.

How ya doing, buddy?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Lacerta
I know how to use a sword!

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2009, 09:00 AM Local time: Oct 22, 2009, 08:00 AM #55 of 108
Didn't get far as I had to fiddle with something that was crashing my PSP. Only real gripe I had from the first ten minutes is why the game feels the need to have three different resolutions.

Most amazing jew boots
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2009, 11:38 AM Local time: Oct 22, 2009, 10:38 AM #56 of 108
Yeah, I was really disappointed that they couldn't remake the cutscenes so that they fill up the whole screen. And it's just a personal preference of mine, but I don't like these new sprites at all. I understand the need to update them, but I just don't like the direction they went in to do so.

Everything else seemed fine though. I still don't see a need to play this since the PS1 version is still superior in most aspects, but I guess if you need another Lunar fix or can't track down a copy of the PS1 version this is the next best thing (barring the fact that we don't know anything of how the English version will turn out, of course).

And Deni, Japanese PSN accounts are free just like in any other region, so you can easily download the demo without going through any other hoops once you make one. The only problem is that to transfer it to your PSP you have to deactivate it, meaning you can't use any content tied to your regular PSN account that's on your PSP until you activate it again (which means you couldn't play the demo again until you once again deactivate it). It's more of a hassle than an actual hindrance, but it's still worth noting.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Lacerta

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2009, 11:58 AM Local time: Oct 22, 2009, 10:58 AM #57 of 108
Demo is pretty short. Beat it a few times to see if there was any way to keep it going past Quark after giving him the dragon ring, but I guess not. Game definitely feels much easier than the PS1 counterpart. I guess those limit break things also contribute to it (Luna does party HP&MP heal, Alex hits the field with wind damage a few times).

Cut-ins are so hip they make any game cool~

I'd only get it if you were interested in the sprite touch-ups and redone dungeons, based on the demo.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2009, 03:26 PM Local time: Oct 22, 2009, 03:26 PM #58 of 108
New voice actor for Ghaleon, I heard Nooooo...

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

magewarrior
my destiny evades me

Member 1212

Level 4.76

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2009, 11:13 AM #59 of 108
I had fun with the ps1 version of the game, Im not sure if this is any better, but at the time I really appreciated what WD were doing with some of the obscure rpg titles wich wouldnt have seen the light of day if it wernt for WD. When I get the chance however I'll check this one out. Ive always been a fan of the Lunar games, so it should be fun.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2009, 11:37 AM Local time: Nov 7, 2009, 06:37 PM #60 of 108
I saw that this is apparently based on the Sega CD games, not the PS1 games, does that mean the parts of the story that were messed up or "clarified" have been restored? I think I might get this either way, but that would really push it over the edge for me. The PS1 games were way more polished, but the Sega CD games were far less broken storywise for me (could be just nostalgia talking, but still).

magewarrior
my destiny evades me

Member 1212

Level 4.76

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2009, 11:50 AM #61 of 108
Never had the chance to play the originals on the Sega CD , from what I heard they were pretty good. If what you say is true then I might have to check this one out -_^

How ya doing, buddy?
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2009, 01:30 PM Local time: Nov 7, 2009, 12:30 PM #62 of 108
The PS1 games were way more polished, but the Sega CD games were far less broken storywise for me (could be just nostalgia talking, but still).
At least in the case of Silver Star, you're not wrong. Luna is a far more interesting character when she knows what is going on rather than being a quasi amnesiac, and it makes her choices a bit more poignant that way.

Most amazing jew boots
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2009, 02:30 PM #63 of 108
There's also a new "villain" in the game but for now the details show it's only a villain for the Four Heroes (Dyne, Ghaleon, Lemia and Mel) that apparently (if I'm seeing the screens and reading the article right) you fight as them against him.

He looks kinda cool and name is Aiferun:

Once, he journeyed across the world with Dyne, the Goddess Althena, and their friends. He was at odds with Dyne and the others regarding the state of the world and god(s), and thus became an enemy. And, after many fierce battles, he managed to capture Althena, and is trying to use her magic power to become a god himself. In truth, he has the same weaknesses that could be found in any human heart.

And he has the power of 5 god (masks?):

Five Princes of the Black Star:
The five gods summoned by Aiferun: Fubau, Ratone, Igarune, Serrona Mashun, Kikero*. They intend on destroying the world. They have no true form, and so they take the shape of these masks. During the battle with the Four Heroes, they use the body of Aiferun.
* Again, official English transliteration not yet known.

So it's looking like that there is indeed more backstory to the game to at least warrant a purchase for the 3rd (4th?) remake of Lunar: Silver Star.

I hope it does well enough that Lunar 2 will get the same treatment.

LunarNET - Lunar: Silver Star Harmony for the translated famitsu article

FELIPE NO

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2009, 02:37 PM Local time: Nov 7, 2009, 01:37 PM 1 #64 of 108
Apparently there's a whole other scenario they're adding, yeah, that let's you play as the four heroes. No idea on length or meatiness of that segment, though.

They're also saying "new bromides", as if people still get their rocks off to pictures of Mia or something.

Lacerta

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2009, 07:27 PM Local time: Nov 7, 2009, 06:27 PM #65 of 108
I saw that this is apparently based on the Sega CD games, not the PS1 games, does that mean the parts of the story that were messed up or "clarified" have been restored? I think I might get this either way, but that would really push it over the edge for me. The PS1 games were way more polished, but the Sega CD games were far less broken storywise for me (could be just nostalgia talking, but still).
Everything is based on the PS1 version.

surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2009, 10:56 PM Local time: Nov 8, 2009, 05:56 AM #66 of 108
SHAKEFIIIIIST!!!!!!

Those stupid bromides should've been clue enough that they weren't going to treat this game with the respect it deserves, I don't know why I got my hopes up. Oh well it sure looks pretty. Guess I'll go back to playing my Sega CD version.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2009, 11:42 PM Local time: Nov 7, 2009, 09:42 PM #67 of 108
Oh, so they're trying to explain how the Four Heroes became heroes and how exactly they saved Althena from evil or whatnot? Not a bad addition, even if it would have been better off as a new game.

Now that I think about it, I remember reading how they always wanted to work on a prequel starring the Four Heroes.

Most amazing jew boots
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 8, 2009, 05:47 PM Local time: Nov 8, 2009, 04:47 PM 3 #68 of 108
Oh, so they're trying to explain how the Four Heroes became heroes and how exactly they saved Althena from evil or whatnot? Not a bad addition, even if it would have been better off as a new game.

Now that I think about it, I remember reading how they always wanted to work on a prequel starring the Four Heroes.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2009, 02:27 PM #69 of 108
Special Collector's Edition:

Quote:
XSEED Games know Lunar fans are used to getting more, and while the limited edition of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony doesn't get close to the lavish releases Working Designs gave us in the 90's, it's nothing to sneeze at.

Lunar: Silver Star Harmony is an enhanced remake of Lunar: The Silver Star, coming to the PSP courtesy of XSEED Games in Q1 of 2010. While the game will retail for $29.99, $10 more will net players a special limited edition package containing a soundtrack CD and a set of 13 exclusive "bromide" collector cards featuring the girls of Lunar.

"As the definitive version of Lunar: The Silver Star with completely reworked graphics, a remastered soundtrack containing songs new and old, an enhanced battle system, and additional story elements never before revealed, Lunar: Silver Star Harmony deserved a special Limited Edition version to commemorate the rebirth of this beloved franchise," stated Jun Iwasaki, President of XSEED Games. "For fans of the previous iteration, we've built upon the English script from before to offer returning fans something new while keeping the heart of the original outstanding localization intact."

As I said, it's certainly not the cloth map, soundtrack CD, hardbound instruction manual and making of videos of Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, but it'll do. They just don't make them like Working Designs anymore.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2009, 04:36 PM Local time: Dec 18, 2009, 03:36 PM #70 of 108
"Definitive" eh. Big claims.

I appreciate the soundtrack, once again, but those cards are a goofy bonus.

(Who the fuck am I kidding, I'm buying it anyway)

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2009, 06:05 PM Local time: Dec 18, 2009, 05:05 PM #71 of 108
"Definitive" eh. Big claims.

I appreciate the soundtrack, once again, but those cards are a goofy bonus.

(Who the fuck am I kidding, I'm buying it anyway)
Yeah, but you'd buy it if the only difference was the words "Special Edition" on the spine.

FELIPE NO

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Dec 19, 2009, 12:16 AM Local time: Dec 18, 2009, 11:16 PM #72 of 108
You'll get no argument from me.

It could come with only a free kick in the junk and I'd still throw out the extra 10'r for it.

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Dec 19, 2009, 12:25 AM Local time: Dec 19, 2009, 12:25 AM #73 of 108
Without directly saying yes or no, that sounds like it'll make a US release. I'll check next week to see if GameStop has this special edition available as a pre-order.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Dec 19, 2009, 12:34 AM Local time: Dec 18, 2009, 11:34 PM 7 #74 of 108
Oh right. It's not officially coming here until GS has a listing for it.

OUR BAD FOLKS. NOTHING TO SEE HERE. MOVE ALONG.

Most amazing jew boots
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Dec 22, 2009, 01:58 AM #75 of 108
Oh right. It's not officially coming here until GS has a listing for it.

OUR BAD FOLKS. NOTHING TO SEE HERE. MOVE ALONG.

EBGames.com - Buy Lunar: Silver Star Harmony Limited Edition - Sony PSP

I guess it's official nao. well, because you know, gamestop listed it and all

I'll have to go get my pre-order switched to the CE anyway. I already have it paid for, just got to add another $10. Just wish XSEED put a little more effort in at least trying to make it a decent collector's edition like WD used to.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PSP] Lunar: Harmony of the Silver Star