Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Obama Doesn't Care for Churchill's Bust

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Feb 16, 2009, 05:26 AM Local time: Feb 16, 2009, 05:26 AM #1 of 12
Obama Doesn't Care for Churchill's Bust

Barack Obama sends bust of Winston Churchill on its way back to Britain - Telegraph
Quote:
A bust of the former prime minister once voted the greatest Briton in history, which was loaned to George W Bush from the Government's art collection after the September 11 attacks, has now been formally handed back.

The bronze by Sir Jacob Epstein, worth hundreds of thousands of pounds if it were ever sold on the open market, enjoyed pride of place in the Oval Office during President Bush's tenure.

But when British officials offered to let Mr Obama to hang onto the bust for a further four years, the White House said: "Thanks, but no thanks."

Diplomats were at first reluctant to discuss the whereabouts of the Churchill bronze, after its ejection from the seat of American power. But the British Embassy in Washington has now confirmed that it sits in the palatial residence of ambassador Sir Nigel Sheinwald, just down the road from Vice President Joe Biden's official residence. It is not clear whether the ambassador plans to keep it in Washington or send it back to London.

American politicians have made quoting Churchill, whose mother was American, something of an art form, but not Mr Obama, who prefers to cite the words and works of his hero Abraham Lincoln. Indeed a bust of Mr Lincoln now sits in the Oval Office where Epstein's Churchill once ruled the roost.

Churchill has less happy connotations for Mr Obama than those American politicians who celebrate his wartime leadership. It was during Churchill's second premiership that Britain suppressed Kenya's Mau Mau rebellion. Among Kenyans allegedly tortured by the colonial regime included one Hussein Onyango Obama, the President's grandfather.

The rejection of the bust has left some British officials nervously reading the runes to see how much influence the UK can wield with the new regime in Washington.

Now it is likely that Gordon Brown will offer a alternative symbol of Anglo-American fealty when he visits Washington to meet Mr Obama for the first time since he became President. Diplomats are still working to finalise a date for the visit which is expected in the final week of this month or early in March.

One suggestion, given Mr Obama's interest in the Lincoln era, is that Mr Brown should offer an artefact relating to the career of John Bright, the 19th Century MP and political reformer who became the most prominent British supporter of Lincoln's Union forces during the American Civil War.

A British Embassy spokesman said: "The bust of Sir Winston Churchill by Sir Jacob Epstein was uniquely lent to a foreign head of state, President George W Bush, from the Government Art Collection in the wake of 9/11 as a signal of the strong transatlantic relationship.

"It was lent for the first term of office of President Bush. When the President was elected for his second and final term, the loan was extended until January 2009.

"The new President has decided not to continue this loan and the bust has now been returned. It is on display at the Ambassador's Residence."

He face look like a doody.

How ya doing, buddy?
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2009, 05:38 AM Local time: Feb 16, 2009, 11:38 AM #2 of 12
We should lend it to the Chinese instead. America's time as a viable superpower is all but over anyway, it makes sense to switch to the winning side now while we've got an excuse.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Feb 16, 2009, 05:45 AM Local time: Feb 16, 2009, 05:45 AM #3 of 12
The Chinese aren't into global imperialism the same way we were, bro.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2009, 05:59 AM Local time: Feb 16, 2009, 11:59 AM #4 of 12
You say that but your attempts at a global empire were pretty pathetic. I mean, since we gave you the country, all you've added is New Mexico and that wasn't exactly a long journey for your army was it? The Chinese at least built up something of an empire themselves rather than just being donated a bit of ours we didn't want any more.

Alternatively, we could just send a big statue of Enoch Powell over and plant it outside our embassy in Washington, send a clear message to the White House the same way having a statue of Bomber Harris outside the MOD and having the Eurostar terminate at Waterloo station does for the Germans and French.

Most amazing jew boots
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Feb 16, 2009, 06:02 AM Local time: Feb 16, 2009, 06:02 AM #5 of 12
Man we have countries leasing us bases. We've done global empire better than your scurvy-ridden forefathers ever dreamed of.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Lord Styphon
Malevolently Mercurial

Member 3

Level 50.41

Feb 2006

Old Feb 16, 2009, 06:05 AM Local time: Feb 16, 2009, 06:05 AM #6 of 12
Alternatively, we could just send a big statue of Enoch Powell over and plant it outside our embassy in Washington, send a clear message to the White House the same way having a statue of Bomber Harris outside the MOD and having the Eurostar terminate at Waterloo station does for the Germans and French.
I think the name you're looking for is Robert Ross.

By the same logic, the guy whose bronze you should be sending the Chinese is Lord Elgin.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2009, 06:17 AM Local time: Feb 16, 2009, 12:17 PM #7 of 12
Heh, that would certainly send a message out.

Originally Posted by Brady
Man we have countries leasing us bases. We've done global empire better than your scurvy-ridden forefathers ever dreamed of.
People used to pay us to station troops in their country. Renting bases is strictly for noobs.

FELIPE NO
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Feb 16, 2009, 06:38 AM Local time: Feb 16, 2009, 06:38 AM 2 #8 of 12
The darkies have more than spears to chuck at machineguns this time around, give us some credit.

Fight one global war against other whites and you can't get off the ropes.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2009, 05:56 PM #9 of 12
I wouldn't want that gloopy, monstrous looking bust in my home either. I don't care that it's Churchill, the thing is repulsive in a purely aesthetic sense.

IT'S NOT PRETTY ENOUGH. [/female]

Jam it back in, in the dark.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2009, 07:44 PM Local time: Feb 16, 2009, 05:44 PM #10 of 12
You say that but your attempts at a global empire were pretty pathetic. I mean, since we gave you the country, all you've added is New Mexico and that wasn't exactly a long journey for your army was it?

Hey we have Puerto Rico and Guam and uh...the Virgin Islands. Well, some of them. And we're 'conquering' the Middle East with Afghanistan and Iraq and soon it will be Iran. What could go wrong?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Ness the Mess
Intolerable Rationalist

Member 24371

Level 2.74

Sep 2007

Old Mar 2, 2009, 02:59 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2009, 01:59 PM #11 of 12
We should lend it to the Chinese instead. America's time as a viable superpower is all but over anyway, it makes sense to switch to the winning side now while we've got an excuse.
Hey, that's not a bad idea; take Hong Kong back and work your way from there! (that was the most sincere thing I've said all day, I promise)

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 04:15 PM 1 #12 of 12
Bush probably thought it was a California Raisin.[/hurrdurr]

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Obama Doesn't Care for Churchill's Bust