Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)

Servilonus
Good Chocobo

Member 79

Level 15.45

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2006, 11:09 PM #1 of 1376
Ah, the metal thread. But I notice it's usually more black/euro metal dominated for the most part.

I'm into prog metal for the mostly, Dream Theater, Symphony X, and basically any offshoot/related bands, side projects, etc. Besides that, thrash metal and some power metal I used to listen to alot.

Though I dislike Dragonforce, and ALOT of people I know LOVE them. They seem to be a band that people are really divided on.

An album I listened to recently that I love is Ayreon's The Human Equation. Also been getting into Pain of Salvation and Riverside lately.

On another note, I was on wikipedia earlier today, and I thought the number of defined genres of metal they had was ridiculous. Though I was surprised that punk had many more subdivisions than metal, ranging from standard (pop punk) to absurd (Punk against Communism) to ? (Taqwacore). Though I could pretty much identify some of the genres of metal, some seemed absudly unnessecary.

Originally Posted by wikipedia

Drone doom

Also known as drone metal, drone doom is a genre which is even more minimalistic and inaccessible than funeral doom. Generally influenced by noise and ambient music, the music often mainly consists of distorted downtuned guitars and bass, usually with lots of reverb applied to the final mix, with clear (melodic) themes being a rarity. Drone doom tracks are generally long, with typical drone tracks lasting between ten and thirty minutes; some drone doom releases even consist of only one album-long track. Vocals and even drums are often absent, and the music often lacks any beat or rhythm in the traditional sense.
This seems like such an unessacary genre.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Servilonus
Good Chocobo

Member 79

Level 15.45

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2006, 12:36 AM #2 of 1376
To each his own and all, musical taste is subjective. And I know you know your music very well.

I noticed in the exposure club thread alot of people were into Opeth, which is also one of my favorite bands currently.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Servilonus
Good Chocobo

Member 79

Level 15.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2007, 05:13 PM #3 of 1376
I just listened through the Goatsnake discography. I really dig their sound.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Servilonus
Good Chocobo

Member 79

Level 15.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:30 PM #4 of 1376
Yeah, I'm particularly fond of a lot of their releases. Particularly Goatsnake and Burning Witch right now. I like Anderson and O Malley's work, especially outside Sunn O))). I'm also big into doom/stoner metal right now (as more than anyone, knk, you'd probably know), so those two bands are a good combination of that and the chunkiness of Sunn O))) that I really like.

Also been listening to Dying Fetus, Decapitated, Immortal and Arsis today. Getting on a slight bit of deathish kick right now.

My friend just sent me a few songs from My Dying Bride, so I'm gonna get that from him when I see him next week.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Servilonus
Good Chocobo

Member 79

Level 15.45

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2007, 10:33 PM #5 of 1376
So I got a leaked copy of Megadeth's new album, United Abominations.

Music wise, it's pretty much exactly what I'd expect from Dave: the same songs over and over again. He seemingly took this approach after Risk, that he was just going to record the same old thrash songs over and over again. I liked a lot of the songs on the last two albums, and the riffs on this album have their merits too.

The music really isn't what I have a problem with though.

I really wish the dude would get like a songwriter, even if it meant another singer. Dave can not write lyrics. He used to be alright. He wasn't ever very good or insightful, but they used to be passable. Jesus, the first song, Sleepwalker sounded like the lyrics would be great by early era Pantera in the 80s. They're horrendous. Here's some choice bits -

Originally Posted by Dave Mustaine
Sleepwalker - Did I give you concrete shoes?
And throw you off of a bridge
Sleepwalker - When I lay down to sleep
Pray your soul's mine to keep, I feel you near me
Go to sleep, Sleepwalker

Just taking a stroll; don't go to sleep! Here's some toothpicks for your eyes!

You always make an excellent cadaver
I roll your body up in a carpet to make music in the
Trunk of my limousine, wrapped up in a rug
A fitting end, is that I send you up the river like a punk

No one is safe when I close my eyes; I come to take your life

The angel of death is pissed off at me again
Just because I got to put you out of my misery
It doesn't matter, I am without fear
Now you're dead, I won't shed another bloody tear for you
Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

In the song "Blessed are the Dead" he says the word "horse" about 400 times, referencing the song Warhorse (intentionally or not) and the goddamn Four Horsemen, which irritates me since he decided to NOT do Four Hoursmen, but fucking "Mechanix", which is not better a song than any of the ones on here lyrically, but still.

Let's just look at the song titles. "Amerikhastan", "You're Dead". What is this, an Alice Cooper album? Even worse, "A Tout Le Monde (Set Me Free)". WHY in the hell did he decide it was alright to basically rerecord a song that had no reason to be rerecorded whatsoever (I've also always hated this song, so it was like double >=U)

I'm listening to "Amerikhastan" right now. Why. So bad.
Now I'm listening to "You're Dead". There's no way this album is serious.

I'm pretty sick of his outright political agenda too. He has nothing interesting or relevant to say at all. *waves* HEY! DID YOU KNOW THERE'S A WAR!? IN THE MIDDLE EAST! HEY, THERE'S CORRUPTION, LISTEN TO ME! *waves* I just realized that he's been writing the same song, well forever. It either falls in the vein of NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST, I HATE YOU, or the APOCALYPSE.

Now, really, I haven't ever minded the lyrical quality/diversity of Dave. The lyrics were never that bad that they were distracted from me enjoying most of the songs. And I LIKE most of Megadeth's albums up to this, even Risk.

But Christ, just listen to this. It's like he's TRYING to be Alice Cooper. Every time I think a song might be alright he says something so dumb that makes me think that I'll never be able to listen to that song again.

So yeah, all in all. I hate this album. Someone please download it and hate it too.

EDIT: I actually told my roommate that the lyrics on this album almost made me forgive Metallica for making St. Anger. God forgive me.

To confirm this, I listened to "Invisible Kid" on St. Anger. I do not forgive them.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Servilonus; May 7, 2007 at 10:44 PM.
Servilonus
Good Chocobo

Member 79

Level 15.45

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2007, 06:47 PM #6 of 1376
I am very much liking what I've heard from Constant Motion. I hope the rest of the album is that caliber. Downloading "The Dark Eternal Night" now.

Also downloading new Symphony X now. I heard some samples and it sounds like the last album, just heavier, so I'll probably like it.

When "Gears of War" first came out I wasn't overly impressed with the song, but I certainly didn't think the rest of the album would be THAT bad.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Servilonus
Good Chocobo

Member 79

Level 15.45

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2007, 10:20 PM #7 of 1376
Additional Spam:
The best metal album I've listened to recently (and really, it HAS to qualify as metal) is John Zorn's Six Litanies For Heliogabalus. It is the heaviest thing I have heard in years.
/r/ upload of said album, if it hasn't been already uploaded.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Servilonus; May 8, 2007 at 10:26 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Servilonus
Good Chocobo

Member 79

Level 15.45

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2007, 02:49 AM #8 of 1376
I'll just post to agree that I fucking love Systematic Chaos as well. I was really expecting the full out metal style afforded on Train of Thought due to Portnoy's explanation of it's style, but I really dig what came out anyway. Kind of a more Opeth/Porcupine Tree style influence on some of the slower songs. The only way I've felt it necessary to describe some of the Petrucci/Rudess solo sections to people is describing how many people they killed as a result of playing them. Solos on Dark Eternal Night are just ridiculously astounding. It was also interesting to see a slow song for Repentance, I expected faster and heavy from one of the AA songs. Not to say I didn't like the song, quite the contrary, but I was surprised they took that approach with this particular "suite". Presence of Enemies fucking rules too (apparently it was just split into two parts for the cd, but is actually one song, which once again makes it their longest song to date). There's not an album on this track that I dislike whatsoever which I can't say the same for Octavarium (not a big fan of The Answers Lie Within, These Walls and I Walk Besides You, LOVE the rest of the album though).

I find there is often hot debate about Dream Theater's work as to what is better - most people usually regards Scenes as their best album but the two camps of fans seem to either like what was before Scenes or after it. I find there is much criticism of their 2000s work. I actually prefer everything from Scenes on more but I do enjoy their whole discography immensely (although I was never a huge fan of Images and Words, or When Dream and Day Unite, but that was for more Dominici related reasons, I do like the official bootleg with LaBrie doing the whole album live).

And it seems they abandoned the paradigm of starting the album with the note that the last album ended on. Though critical analysis of Octavarium itself will reveal that that was likely to happen anyway.

Seems like they abandoned the whole numbers game aspect too (as Six Degrees related to the number six and had six parts, Train of Thought had seven tracks, as well as other things relating to seven and Octavarium for obvious reasons had many relations to the numbers five and eight, besides the title and track listing - genius concept if analyzed, also a great album and fantastic title track). Doesn't seem to have much going on relating to the number nine right now, perhaps "Systematic Chaos" is poking at the fact that they disrupted their number game paradigm. Maybe one day I'll know, heh.

All in all, I think this is just a bloody brilliant album.

Also, kind of overshadowed for me, but I really liked the new Symphony X album. I do indeed enjoy the heavy. It's like Odyssey+ for me. I was kind of expecting him to do Odyssey part 2 and I still wonder if they will ever do it, otherwise it seems quite pointless to have titled it "Part 1".

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Servilonus; May 12, 2007 at 02:52 AM.
Servilonus
Good Chocobo

Member 79

Level 15.45

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2007, 01:27 PM #9 of 1376
That's what happened to me about a year and a half ago, Helloween. The progressive elements of Opeth (<3 Opeth) were able to make me accept death metal style vocal style, whereas I would immediately dismiss them in the past. Since then I've been brought to a point where I can KIND of like Dying Fetus, but not that much. Arsis is pretty cool, which reminds me,

If anyone digs the kind of progressive/power/symphonic/neoclassical style that Symphony X is in, I recommend you guys check out Suspyre - their second album just came out and it's pretty awesome. Noah Martin - the bassist for Arsis played on the last album.

Servilonus
Good Chocobo

Member 79

Level 15.45

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2007, 01:02 AM #10 of 1376
See, I like when Symphony X does heavy, but not so much Dream Theater. Constant Motion and Dark Eternal Night don't do it for me at all. They left me very unreceptive to the second half of the album for the first spin. I think I'll make myself an edited version of the latter which includes only the solo stuff. The ballads are not as catchy as Octavarium's, but they're definitely deeper. Prophets of War is no Sacrificed Sons, nor does In the Presence compare to Octavarium, although they're still quite good.

Myung and Portnoy are in good form, Petrucci is perfect as usual, Labrie was spot on, and Rudess really shined. But overall, I think Octavarium is stronger. I mean, we know they're fantastic musicians, but accessibility and songwriting are important too, and I liked every track on that album.
Well, there's a point where it's simply a difference in a matter of taste. Whereas you like almost all of Octavarium, I am not so much in favor of the accessible ballad songs (tracks 2-4). It seems Train of Thought has often been a fissure in the opinion of Dream Theater fans - loved or hated. I personally, really like the album and their moderations between cleaner, slow stuff and technical heavy stuff.

I think it's interesting to note that the two songs that have the most electronic influence on Octavarium and Systematic Chaos are both number six.

Again, as far as thinking Octavarium is a stronger, more cohesive album is mostly due to individual taste, but I'm not sure if they'll ever top the song Octavarium itself, which is just purely genius. As far as what you said about the individual song comparisons - I agree. Sacrificed Sons is better than Prophets (lyrically and otherwise, but I never thought LaBrie to be a stellar songwriter anyway) and while Presence is no Octavarium, I still find it to be a fucking awesome song.

Servilonus
Good Chocobo

Member 79

Level 15.45

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2007, 09:52 PM #11 of 1376
I haven't been listening to a whole lot lately, but I have been enjoying albums from Darkane, and Finntroll's Nattfodd.

Suprisingly, I've found some death metal to be good for writing because I can't understand what's being said. When I understand lyrics I find it kind of distracting for writing.

Helloween, I played both Everygrey and Shadow Gallery on my radio show last year. Evergrey was pretty good from my memory, but I found Shadow Gallery to be a bit dull. I think Beyond Twilight has better songs than them in a similar style. Fates Warning never gripped me, personally.

Anyone have any recommendations for bands similar to Finntroll (or just any sort of metal with ethnic style instrument use)?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Servilonus
Good Chocobo

Member 79

Level 15.45

Mar 2006

Old Sep 12, 2007, 02:19 AM #12 of 1376
My recent acquisitions include Ensiferum, Amon Amarth, uneXpect, Amorphis, Primordial, Geasa (but deleted due to terribleness), Cruachan, Eluveitie, Tuathaa De Danaan, Melechesh, Moonsorrow, Agalloch, Vintersorg, Korpiklaani, Old Man's Child and the rest of the Finntroll albums I didn't have. I have a few bands (Mael Mordha, Empyrium, Mezarkabul) downloading still, but I'm unsure as to whether they will finish or not.
I liked a lot of the stuff I got to hear while adding it to my library - I may upload some of the Celtic Black Metal I have to the MEC sometime in the future.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Servilonus
Good Chocobo

Member 79

Level 15.45

Mar 2006

Old Sep 14, 2007, 01:28 PM #13 of 1376
Alas, neither my collective habits nor meager paychecks (not to mention college expenses) afford me the luxury of actually owning the albums.

On the more experimental side, I also downloaded Mr. Bungle and Fantomas after hearing Mike Patton in John Zorn's Six Litanies for Heliogabalus. Mr. Bungle is pretty awesome, and I love the John Zorn album that I just got a chance to listen to. I've always liked Painkiller, and the album seemed sort of like a more expanded venue for the style.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Servilonus
Good Chocobo

Member 79

Level 15.45

Mar 2006

Old Sep 15, 2007, 12:21 AM #14 of 1376
I just enjoy really avant-garde and really experimental stuff once in a while. I really have so much music that is just...the same. I also find the combination of jazz and death/noise to be quite interesting. Bungle, I just like how out there they can be.

I also listen to a lot of odd instrumental music when writing too, and sometimes, that just needs to be Painkiller.

It's such a funny turn-around I've gone through in the last year, because I pretty much scoffed at any non-Opeth death metal then. Now I embrace crazy jazz-noise with incoherent screaming (LITANY IV). Go figure.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Servilonus
Good Chocobo

Member 79

Level 15.45

Mar 2006

Old Sep 15, 2007, 01:54 PM #15 of 1376
I certainly can't wait for the new Ayreon album. The Human Equation has long topped my list of "must-have-prog" albums for people.

Listened to the first two Mr. Bungle cds last night (Mr. Bungle + Disco Volante), and I really, really dug them. Currently, I'm getting another stoner/doom band akin to Electric Wizard - Orange Goblin, a big pack of John Zorn albums, and the Naked City discography.

Will, I get that aspect of frustration. I remember a little over a year ago (I think I said it in this thread as well, heh) that I scoffed at the idea of Doom/drone metal. But a lot of my appreciation of heavier and alternative metal based genres came from the fact that a lot of my new friends that I live with on campus are heavy into particular things - my friend Steve was quite into drone/doom/stoner/grindcore/avant-garde music, my roommate this year is a die-hard death metal fanatic, my drummer love all of that, plus various black metal, metalcore and alternative music. I think it was more about exposure and understanding for me.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Servilonus; Sep 15, 2007 at 01:58 PM.
Servilonus
Good Chocobo

Member 79

Level 15.45

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2007, 03:23 AM #16 of 1376
Unexpect is quite awesome, as is Atheist. I can't find Alarum anywhere though, but they sound neat.

With more along the lines of Avant Garde, has anyone heard Angizia? My friend Steve used to lovingly refer to them as "Elementary School Play Death Metal". They remind me a bit of Devil Doll, whose style I also love. Steve played the entirety of his "Dies Irae" album on a radio show last year.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Servilonus
Good Chocobo

Member 79

Level 15.45

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2007, 02:58 PM #17 of 1376
Nor do I. I just somehow don't see all these musicians writing the kind of music they write just to be like "omg, I'm so awesome and alternative". I don't see what the issue is with progressive and avant-garde - it's not like they're playing the music they play to intimidate lesser musical mortals. Everyone plays what they play and writes what they write.

I just pictured Frank Zappa playing a riff in my head and thinking "this'll piss off the elitists", and I lolled.

Servilonus
Good Chocobo

Member 79

Level 15.45

Mar 2006

Old Sep 21, 2007, 12:43 AM #18 of 1376
Just saw Finntroll at BBKings tonight. There are two guitarists - a blonde and dark haired one, and I, apparently, am the clone of the dark haired one. I swear we must be related, because we're practically identical. The keyboards couldn't be heard as much as they should (as per the studio work), but besides that, they were pretty good. They played enough off of Nattfodd to make me happy. The new singer has pretty broken English, so that led to some confused hilarity.

I noticed something neat on the BBKing's flyer - Sonata Arctica is playing there on the 30th, and Unexpect is one of the three bands opening for them.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)