Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 01:34 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 01:34 AM #1 of 1376
Originally Posted by Terminus
And.. is Scar Symmtery any good?
I listened to their album, and it definitely has a Soilwork-inspired sound, but with more death vocals. I personally liked "Reborn" the best off the album, but you can get in in 192 for free off of their site.

I heard the samples for Evergrey's new album, Monday Morning Apocalypse, and if all the tracks are like the samples, I'll definitely have to get it.

Also got a Megadeth discography, but I noticed the remastered tracks are pretty different from the originals, and I can't decide if I like it or not. Either way, Holy Wars =

Need to pick up In Flames' Come Clarity, too. It has single-handedly made me a believer in the band. I was never too big a fan of their classic stuff, but this new album is a lot closer to thrash, so I guess that's why I like it more. I think Anders' vocals are put to a lot better use for this album too. Not too poppish, but not totally inaccessable to more melodic fans like myself.

Originally Posted by knkwzrd
Opeth, with DevilDriver and Dark Tranquility in two hours.
Might have just been the respective venues, but I wasn't too thrilled after seeing Opeth, despite their being one of my favorite bands. Dark Tranquillity is definitely a badass live band, though.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 02:31 AM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 02:31 AM #2 of 1376
Originally Posted by Iwata
metal got it's genre name for being heavy and not some pussy ass gay acoustic crap. I like acoustic work as much as anyone else, but i don't like it when acoustic guitars venture into metal songs, the two things contradict each other.
You seem pretty distressed that the parameters of musical culture are beyond your control.
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. Listen to what you like, and stop trying to protect some nonexistent boundary line.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 09:25 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 09:25 PM #3 of 1376
Got hold of Evergrey's newest effort, Monday Morning Apocalypse. It's got some decent riffs, and as always, some good, catchy choruses, but there's a disappointing trend I've noticed, so that I'll find a few songs I want to keep, but for the most part the rest are so average that I never feel justified in buying one of their albums.

I wish they'd do a bit more of the male/female voice dynamic, like they did on "Wake of the Weary." The contrast between his voice and hers is what makes it work so well, in my opinion. Same reason I like "Phantom of the Opera" from Iced Earth so much.

In any event, "Monday Morning Apocalypse," "Unspeakable," and my personal favorites "Still in the Water" and "The Dark I Walk You Through" are good enough for a look.

They really need to drop the piano/vocal interludes in my opinion, though. His voice really isn't refined enough to work in a minimalist piece like they keep doing.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2006, 02:10 AM Local time: Jul 11, 2006, 02:10 AM #4 of 1376
Originally Posted by guyinrubbersuit
Anyone a fan of Into Eternity? I can't wait for their new album.
Definitely. I'm much more of a fan of Dead or Dreaming than Buried in Oblivion, so I'm looking forward to the new album to see more of a return to the melodic stuff.

So Disarmonia Mundi's new album was kind of a disappointment. It's got a lot more of a Figure Number Five feel to it, mostly because of the studio effects they added to it. The vocals (even the death vocs) are distorted enough to be annoying, and even though it's still more of a technical edge than some of Soilwork's recent stuff, it's obvious that the loss of so many band members hurt them when it came time to write the material.

Most amazing jew boots
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 03:38 AM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 03:38 AM #5 of 1376
So, Gigantour just announced their lineup for 2006. Megadeth, Lamb of God, Opeth, Over Kill, Arch Enemy, Into Eternity, and a couple of others I haven't heard of.

Goddamn, I want to go to this, but there's no Texas dates scheduled yet. I'm actually considering a 13 hour road trip to New Mexico for this shit. Problem is I know none of my friends would want to go with me.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2006, 12:52 AM Local time: Aug 23, 2006, 12:52 AM #6 of 1376
Lamb of God's new album, Sacrament, came out today. It seems a lot less disjointed than Ashes of the Wake. The songs seem to flow better, instead of skipping from one riff to another without much care about segueway between.

They seem to be taking more advantage of the benefits of studio production, and there's less of a stripped-down feel to the music that made Ashes and As the Palaces Burn so distinct. Overall, I'd say there's equal parts bad and good for classic LoG fans.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2006, 05:33 PM Local time: Aug 23, 2006, 05:33 PM #7 of 1376
Most of it is the classic growl, but he throws some of the Pantera-type growls into all the songs at various points. Add that to the other effects mixed in (echo and flange effects mostly) and it changes the band's sound a bit. Try listening to "Again We Rise" or "Descending" and see if you like it.

I'll have to get some repeat listens in before I make a final judgment, but I'd say it's worth a buy. It definitely has some new things about it that may bother fans, though.

FELIPE NO
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Sep 20, 2006, 02:22 PM Local time: Sep 20, 2006, 02:22 PM #8 of 1376
Originally Posted by Krelian
Anyone heard Coldseed? It's a Blind Guardian/Soilwork crossover, and it's pretty modern-sounding... They released a CD this year, but all I could find was a single song It rocks damn hard, though.
Holy shit, I can't even wrap my mind around what that would sound like.

Also to whoever suggested the new Mercenary album, muchas gracias. I only ended up liking one song off of their previous album, but this one shows a big shift towards traditional power metal, and I'm liking it a lot.

Into Eternity's new album has leaked. It's...hmm...it's not quite Buried in Oblivion, and it's not quite Dead or Dreaming...I haven't had a chance to do in-depth listening yet, but I like it in a general sense. "Surrounded By Night" was one song I could immediately latch on to, though. A lot of their first and second CDs in that one.

Most amazing jew boots
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Sep 21, 2006, 12:08 PM Local time: Sep 21, 2006, 12:08 PM #9 of 1376
I'd rather hear a professionally produced album than a garage demo tape on CD, yes. Refusing to take advantage of the technology at your disposal is like some kvlt perversion of "death before dishonor," and I don't buy into that.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 05:39 PM Local time: Oct 16, 2006, 05:39 PM #10 of 1376
Originally Posted by Krelian
Opeth's latest effort was pretty horrible. Then I learned what had gone wrong:
I admit it didn't live up to Blackwater Park expectations, but Ghost of Perdition has to be one of my favorite songs in the band's library, and Harlequin Forest and The Grand Conjuration aren't too shabby. It's still a step up from Deliverance, in my opinion.

Has anybody been keeping up with Iced Earth since Glorious Burden? They've been quiet for a while now, but I don't know any specifics about the lineup or what problems they've had.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:25 AM Local time: Oct 24, 2006, 10:25 AM #11 of 1376
Originally Posted by Tellurian
Can you people probably give me a hint what other bands to look for...?
I'm in the mood of exploring around a bit in the broader genre...
So, what band should a big fan of Fear Factory, In Flames (admitadbly I actually like Soundtrack to your Escape and Reroute to remain which I have the feeling are somewhat shunned by "real" In Flames fans...), Killswitch Engage, Children of Bodom, Unearth and, well someone who actually likes it when bands evolve their style and don't cry "omg they changed their style! I HATE THEM NOW!" turn to when he's in the mood of experimenting around a bit?
So, what other bands would be worth a try? Hellacoptas? Entombed? I tried Amon Amarth and Iced Earth but I'm not really made for that... "true" stuff.
Second the suggestions from guyinrubbersuit and Krelian.

For stuff similar to Killswitch Engage, check out Trivium and Bleed the Sky, for Unearth check out If Hope Dies and Parkway Drive. Look around in metalcore in general, but to be honest, those are the only bands I've heard that compare well with the ones you listed. Most of the Metalcore I've heard uses dirty production to (it seems to me) cover up for a lack of any talent. Bleeding Through, for example. They have a couple of songs I like, but without a whole lot of melody going on, I get tired of them kinda quick.

For In Flames or thrash sound, check out At the Gates, The Haunted (I prefer "The Haunted Made Me Do It"), The Fifth Sun (still unsigned right now-- I can send you some album tracks), Soilwork & side project Disarmonia Mundi, and if you end up liking that, move on to Scar Symmetry. It seems like there's been an increase in metal bands with melodic/death vocalists, and I suspect a lot of it can be traced back to Soilwork.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Oct 26, 2006, 03:02 AM Local time: Oct 26, 2006, 03:02 AM #12 of 1376
Has anyone heard The Crown? How do they end up as far as being thrash versus death? Do you prefer Tomas Lindberg to Johan Lindstrand for vocals?

Also, heard about The Absence from the sampler that came with the latest Unearth release. Pretty slick riffs, if you ask me.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Nov 28, 2006, 01:59 AM Local time: Nov 28, 2006, 01:59 AM #13 of 1376
Yep.

Killswitch Engage just came out with a new CD recently, entitled As Daylight Dies. It improves on The End of Heartache significantly, without losing the formula they started with that album. More of the songs feature prominent melodic vocals, but there's plenty of solos and killer double pedalling to satisfy metalcore fans and previous fans of KSE.

Man, I'm sorry to say that Into Eternity's latest album was an utter disappointment for me aside from the track "Surrounded By Night." I was really hoping for more of the Dead or Dreaming power metal mixed with death, but it turned out more the other way around...squalling death with little bits of power mixed in here and there.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2006, 02:15 AM Local time: Dec 13, 2006, 02:15 AM #14 of 1376
Originally Posted by guyinrubbersuit
Unearth - III: In the Eyes of Fire
I was seriously disappointed with that CD. I liked a few tracks off of it, but it seemed like there were a lot more breakdown sections and not as much technical playing, which was what got me into them in the first place. I also frankly liked some of the more politicized lyrics they had with the first CD.

On that note, I was really surprised with Trivium's new release, The Crusade. They're almost adopting an 80's Metallica vibe here, and I can't decide if I like it yet or not.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Jan 21, 2007, 05:05 AM Local time: Jan 21, 2007, 05:05 AM #15 of 1376
It does such a horrible job at making fun of Metal IMO. It's written to appeal to american fan's who've only scraped the surface of the Euro Metal scene.
Eventually, and especially with an "underground" type show, you hit the point of diminishing returns. You could make a show tailored specifically to metal pedants, but then they'd be the only ones who could really identify with it.

But you're taking the whole thing pretty seriously, which I would think is counterproductive as far as the creators of the show are concerned.

FELIPE NO
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2007, 08:25 PM Local time: May 7, 2007, 08:25 PM #16 of 1376
Got ahold of Dark Tranquillity's new album, Fiction. It's really rather badass, and I'll probably have to pick it up as soon as my semester's done.

For the most part it's a continuation of their work on Character, with heavy riffs and blistering solos, but I like the melody work on this album a lot more.

There are actually a couple of nods to their older work, like "The Mundane and the Magic," or parts of "Misery's Crown," where they goth out Depeche Mode style, and even include some female vocals. Not my favorite parts, but the other 8 tracks are more than worth the price of admission in my opinion.

Definitely check out their single "Focus Shift" if you're interested.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Sep 10, 2007, 07:21 PM Local time: Sep 10, 2007, 07:21 PM #17 of 1376
Agreed on The Absence, guyinrubbersuit. They're fucking killer all around. Even the lyrics are melodramatically awesome. You'll have to let us know how the live show turns out.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)