Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 07:25 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 05:25 PM #1 of 1376
The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)

The boards have crashed and so that means the almighty Metal Thread has been vanquished. It is time to start anew, to rise from the ashes with the mighty metal hammer falling from the heavens and smashing the heathens!

Kalmah just recently released a new album and I for one am excited about it. I dig them, though I know some are turned off by their Children of Bodom sound, however I've read that the new Kalmah incorporates more death metal growling than black metal screeches.

Are you excited for any new releases or upcoming concerts?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 05:13 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 03:13 PM #2 of 1376
My favorite metal bands:

Opeth
Nevermore
Megadeth
Metallica
Meshuggah
Pantera (liked them way before Dimebag died)
Slayer
Kalmah
Children of Bodom
Necrophagist
Overkill
Kreator
Anthrax
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Mastodon
Shadows Fall
In Flames
Soilwork
Emperor
Abigor
Old Man's Child
Naglfar
Vital Remains
Trivium
Sentenced
God Forbid
3 Inches of Blood
Behold...the Arctopus!
Vehemence
Martyr
Dream Theater
Sex Machineguns
Lamb of God
Dimmu Borgir
Decapitated
Death
Morbid Angel
Suffocation
Black Sabbath
Amon Amarth
Angra

and a ton more...

There's nowhere I can't reach.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 12:43 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 10:43 PM #3 of 1376
Originally Posted by knkwzrd
WHEN you buy an Opeth record, I recommend their first, Orchid, or Blackwater Park. Just personal favouites though. They don't have any bad records yet, although I've heard several opinions that Damnation was a weak point.

Personally, a big fan of Opeth, however I feel that Orchid is their weakest. They really nail it down from Still Life on. I mean you can't go wrong with any of their albums but Still Life and on is more representitive of modern Opeth.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 08:43 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 06:43 PM #4 of 1376
Phlogiston reminded me of Berserker with it's heavy use of synth drums. Meh. Very...meh.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 02:23 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 12:23 AM #5 of 1376
Any of Behemoth's older releases worth getting? I have Zos Kia Cultus and Demigod and love them immensly. I also enjoy symphonic black metal like Emperor and Abigor. Are Behemoth's early albums like that or more raw Darkthrone black metal?

How ya doing, buddy?
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 02:26 AM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 12:26 AM #6 of 1376
Originally Posted by Iwata
metal got it's genre name for being heavy and not some pussy ass gay acoustic crap. I like acoustic work as much as anyone else, but i don't like it when acoustic guitars venture into metal songs, the two things contradict each other.

I seriously disagree with the 'pussy ass gay acoustic crap' comment there. If anything, having acoustic guitars, when done right really bring out the extremness and heaviness of the song. Such as The Nephilim Rising by Behemoth with a brutal ass riff and some really brutal vocals, only towards the end it has a beautiful acoustic passage that really fits.

Another great example is Entwined by Vengeance by Vital Remains. The chorus riff features some great Spanish style guitar that fits with the distorted guitars.

Besides, having contradictions makes things interesting.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 03:50 AM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 01:50 AM #7 of 1376
Stop being an acoustic hater!

Most amazing jew boots
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:11 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 08:11 PM #8 of 1376
Sweet Arsis is coming to Phoenix with Necrophagist and Alarum. I checked out Alarum and liked what I heard. An interesting jazz/metal fusion band. And Cattle Decapitation just sucks ass.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:06 AM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 10:06 PM #9 of 1376
Going to see Opeth with Dark Tranquillity and Devildriver (ugh) tomorrow. Going to be a great show!

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 03:57 AM Local time: Mar 16, 2006, 01:57 AM #10 of 1376
Finally Sabbath gets the induction they deserve. And Blabbermouth posters are still fucking pussies.

Anyway, got back from an insanely awesome Opeth show! Dark Tranquillity opened up quite nicely with some songs from Damage Done, Character and a couple of their older albums. Good musicianship and good stage presence. I certainly can't complain, and I would like to see them again.

Devil Driver, whom I saw before with Opeth before, was on next. Jesus. If you put five human sized turds on stage, slapped them with instruments, I wouldn't know the difference. Devildriver is just a generic cash-in on the American metalcore craze. Dez was a cock gobbler for Coal Chamber and now he's an ass muncher in addition to his cock gobbliness. The riffs were overly repetitive and forgetable. Each song started with the same build up riff, verse, breakdown, the occasional pseudo solo, breakdown, breakdown and end. All the songs sounded the same and was incredibly boring. Good thing Opeth brightened up the show.

Opeth opened up with Ghost of Perdition and followed up with White Cluster. Mikael Adkerfeldt did a good job getting the crowd going, even adding a little humor, such as making the claim he wears a wig that's why he doesn't headbang much. They performed the Amen Corner, which was awesome to hear. I love the album version and the live version was just as awesome. Next I believe was Closure from Damnation which had a cool extended solo session before the ending motif. They performed a song from Orchid, Under the Weeping Moon, which while I enjoy on the album was so much better live. The next three songs were The Baying of the Hounds, The Grand Conjuration and The Drapery Falls. They performed an encore, after Mikael quizzed us on rock riff knowledge which was Deliverance.

Overall I enjoyed the set quite a bit. I was pleased with some of the older and lesser played live songs. However, I do wish they picked something else from Blackwater Park since they play the Drapery Falls all the time. I would've loved to hear Bleak live. Either, a very solid live show and one of my tops so far.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 03:49 AM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 01:49 AM #11 of 1376
Originally Posted by knkwzrd
Anyone ever seen the movie "Rock n' Roll Nightmare" featuring Vancouver metal legend Thor? That's right, Jan-Mikl Thor, lead singer of Thor, who bent metal bars clenched in his teeth on stage. I've heard some awful reviews and some so-awful-it-kicked-ass reviews. It's long out of print, so getting myself a copy isn't much of an option.

On a side note, check out Thor's Only The Strong. One of the greatest metal albums of the eighties. "Let The Blood Run Red", indeed.

Never seen it, but I'm interested in the new metal documentary that's supposed to come out on DVD in a few months.

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 03:14 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 01:14 PM #12 of 1376
Originally Posted by vemp
Heh, I remember the first time I heard of Devildriver. My friend made me listen to it, he said "DOOD THIS IS AWESOME SHIT", so I gave it a listen and after a few songs, I was like "LOL". Although I told him "yeah it's good" cause I don't want to offend him since while we were listening he was like banging his head in the air. Oh, this is the same friend who said it was kinda scary listening to Finntroll's music... WTF man.

You either need to get new friends or stop humoring him.

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 07:19 PM Local time: Mar 29, 2006, 05:19 PM #13 of 1376
Originally Posted by Terminus
Kalmah's new album, The Black Waltz is great. However, the vocals are now polar opposites and all of that. Now the deep hoarse voice dominates rather than the screeched one. For all that though, Bitter Metallic Side and One from the Stands are what stands out to me right now. The others are pretty.. uh, difficult to get into but as said, it grows overtime.

I hope.

8.5/10

I need to get that album. I love Kalmah.

I listened to a song from the new Decapitated album and was dissapointed by the vocals. The music was great, but the vocals had a hardcore edge, rather than the awesome death growl that Sauron had before. Anyone have this album and can comment on it?

I was speaking idiomatically.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:07 AM Local time: Apr 4, 2006, 10:07 PM #14 of 1376
I started with Dream Theater with Images and Words bought Train of Thought when it came out. I dig the stuff so far and would like to get more DT.

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 12:27 AM Local time: Apr 14, 2006, 10:27 PM #15 of 1376
Pharaoh is pretty cool. I definitely like the singer in there than in Control Denied. However, Control Denied wasn't too much different from Sound of Perseverance Death. Chuck Schuldiner just has to distinctive of a sound....which is not really a bad thing, just doesn't really make it different enough to warrant a side project.

FELIPE NO
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 08:03 PM Local time: Apr 16, 2006, 06:03 PM #16 of 1376
What's Korpiklaani sound like? Never heard of them until now.

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 09:29 PM Local time: Apr 19, 2006, 07:29 PM #17 of 1376
Originally Posted by XtremeDJW
Folk Metal. Like Finntroll except without the black metal influence. Its like beer drinking metal.

So metal for the Irish eh?

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 01:18 AM Local time: Apr 25, 2006, 11:18 PM #18 of 1376
Which soundtracks?

Most amazing jew boots
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 06:02 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 04:02 PM #19 of 1376
What's some good metal sung in their native language? I know bands like Vintersorg, Brujeria, Sex Machineguns and early Dimmu Borgir sung in their native tongue, what are some other bands like them? I don't mean musically like them, it can be whatever style of metal, just as long as it's non English.

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 11:11 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 09:11 PM #20 of 1376
Originally Posted by Morrigan
Metalucifer. Kidding, but the Engrish is amusing. Hmm, since you know Vintersorg I assume you already know Otyg. So, try these:

Hantaoma (folk metal; Occitan)
Arkona (folk metal; Russian)
Finntroll (folk/"polka" metal: they sing in Swedish though, not Finnish)
Moonsorrow (folk/viking; Finnish)
Mägo de Oz (folk; Spanish)
Dantesco (doom/power; Spanish)
Killers (speed metal; French, a bit of English)
Haggard (a bit of German, latin, some French; symphonic/baroque)
Storm (folk; Norwegian)
Lumsk (see above)
Månegarm (black/viking; Swedish)
In Extremo (weird folkish/medieval metal; German)
Misanthrope (err... symphonic doom? avant-garde? ; occasional French)

...Yeah, they're mostly folk metal bands. I guess it's those that are really close to their home culture.

Cool thanks! I'll have to check them out!

I like Fear Factory though they get a little repetive after awhile since they don't have many riffs, just rhythm patterns that can sound similar.

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 01:09 AM Local time: May 4, 2006, 11:09 PM #21 of 1376
I miss Death. I got into them in high school when I first downloaded Spirit Crusher. At the time, I've never heard anything so heavy, technical and melodic at the same time. I bought Symbolic from a local metal store and fell in love with it, while Sound of Perseverance followed shortly which I fell in love with as well. I didn't care much for Scream Bloody Gore. While Schuldiner helped originate the death metal genre, his genius didn't appear until later.

Just wish I was a little older and knew them sooner to see them in concert. I guess the Live in L.A. DVD will have to do. And the various live videos online of them. R.I.P. Death and Chuck Schuldiner.

I was speaking idiomatically.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 06:44 PM Local time: May 5, 2006, 04:44 PM #22 of 1376
No I haven't. I'll have to track it down sometime.

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 11:33 PM Local time: May 5, 2006, 09:33 PM #23 of 1376
VH1's idea of metal is stuck in a top 40 1980s time warp, as well as some of the more popular pseudo-metal bands. The up side, there is supposed to be a new Behind the Music episode featuring Pantera. About fucking time I say! Funny how the band seems to be more popular now that Dimebag died than years before.

FELIPE NO
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 01:01 AM Local time: May 8, 2006, 11:01 PM #24 of 1376
I eagerly await Agalloch's new album as well. However, I have a hard time classifying Machinae Supremacy as metal. Yes they kick major ass, though I guess songs like Hero do have a metal edge, the rest seem sort of hard rockish.

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2006, 04:04 PM Local time: May 11, 2006, 02:04 PM #25 of 1376
Originally Posted by Will
How 'bout a threesome?

Seriously though, go to pandora.com and make a Pain of Salvation radio station. You'll get Machinae Supremacy, Ayreon, Devin Townsend all on one station. Not to mention Tempest, Masterplan, and Gamma Ray.

Any of you guys into so-called "math rock"? I figured it would go along with the progressive taste...I'm talking Don Caballero, Battles, Volta Do Mar, etc.

BTW, off hand, does anyone know where I could get a hold of some Machinae Supremacy? I can't find it at amazon...I wanted to use my amazon prime free trial. XD

You can go to machinaesupremacy.com. They have a lot of free music for download, including the Jets 'N Guns OST, a futuristic shooting game with them doing the music.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)