Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)

Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 02:54 AM #1 of 1376
Angra is so damn good. I mean, the old stuff, the new stuff, all amazing. It's really something when a band undergoes such a radical change as bringing in a new vocalist, drummer, and bassist and remains strong. Not to mention we now have Angra and Shaman.

Has anyone mentioned Pain of Salvation yet? Very good progressive metal, I just discovered them myself. Check 'em out.

Otherwise, I'm into...

Dream Theater
Kamelot
Symphony X
Gamma Ray
Stratovarius
Queensryche
Masterplan
Wolfcry
At All Cost
From Zero
Saxon
Guns N' Roses (basically just Appetite For Destruction)
Vinnie Moore

...just to name a few

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 08:01 PM #2 of 1376
The show I went to, they played Metropolis, As I Am, Panic Attack, Never Enough, Glass Prison...maybe something else, I didn't know all of their songs at the time.

Octavarium is a very solid album, overall more palatable than the rest, which is probably why it's the only one I can listen to straight.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 01:29 AM #3 of 1376
When I could actually hear him over the loud ass guitars, he was spot on. But when you go to a DT show, you're not going to be watching Labrie.

Finally got the Pain of Salvation (it'd be easier to say "PoS" but that's just wrong XD) discography. That shit's bananas.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:19 PM #4 of 1376
Hey guys, I've had some time to digest the body of Pain of Salvation's work, and I have to say that I'm in awe. Seriously, check them out NOW.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2006, 10:28 AM #5 of 1376
Originally Posted by Luminaire
I think . . . I'm in love with you?

Pain of Salvation and Evergrey and Machinae Supremacy and Mercenary and Ayreon and Devin Townsend and etc. etc. LOVE.

Any thoughts on Evergrey's "Monday Morning Apocalypse"?
How 'bout a threesome?

Seriously though, go to pandora.com and make a Pain of Salvation radio station. You'll get Machinae Supremacy, Ayreon, Devin Townsend all on one station. Not to mention Tempest, Masterplan, and Gamma Ray.

Any of you guys into so-called "math rock"? I figured it would go along with the progressive taste...I'm talking Don Caballero, Battles, Volta Do Mar, etc.

BTW, off hand, does anyone know where I could get a hold of some Machinae Supremacy? I can't find it at amazon...I wanted to use my amazon prime free trial. XD

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Will; May 11, 2006 at 10:31 AM.
Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2006, 09:41 PM #6 of 1376
Yeah, Dragonforce is fun I guess...though within a couple weeks of getting Sonic Firestorm I found myself skipping the tracks when they'd come up on my playlist...and shortly thereafter I had to get rid of them entirely. It's just rather grating music after a while.

And thanks to all for the MaSu info, that's good stuff...

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old May 26, 2006, 01:07 PM #7 of 1376
Originally Posted by Xanadu
You should check out Holy Land. My favorite Angra album, there's some really heavy brazilian folk influence there.
I couldn't agree more. That album is fantastic.

Originally Posted by DarkLink2135
But yeah, if Angra changed their sound, that is really pretty sweet, because most bands don't ever really do that.
And they did so quite successfully! I have to say, I love the new line-up every bit as much as the old one. And the old Angra lives on in Shaman anyway, so everybody wins. I love every song on Temple of Shadows, and Edu is one of my favorite vocalists in metal.

So I got a hold of Ayreon's "The Human Equation" and I'm thinking to myself, "Since when did Arjen become James Labrie?" I looked it up and found out that there are actually a lot of guest vocals on this album. =B I'm a big fan of Labrie's vocals, so this was a pleasant surprise.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Will; May 26, 2006 at 01:12 PM.
Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 11:06 AM #8 of 1376
No...don't die on me now!

I've heard various songs, but the only Devin Townsend album I have is Synchestra. Which album would you guys recommend purchasing next?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 05:00 PM #9 of 1376
Originally Posted by vemp
Can anyone recommend me bands that sound like Gamma Ray/Heavenly/Concerto Moon? I'm kinda of back to my heavy metal/power metal phase again. Right now I'm loving Sex Machineguns (Japanese heavy metal). Now if only I could find bands that sounds like them...
Doesn't Gamma Ray have a crapload of albums out? Unless you have them all, just get a new one. =P Actually, I should take my own advice...<3 Gamma Ray. Anyway, try something like Wolfcry or Masterplan. Or Angra--their more recent stuff is power metal.

Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 10:42 PM #10 of 1376
AIM: XFatFif

Feel free to bother me...I could use an outlet for my obsession with music...my friends have shitty taste and/or don't care. =(

I've been catching up on some Symphony X lately...The Odyssey is fantastic (the song on the album of the same name in particular).

Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2006, 03:11 PM #11 of 1376
Originally Posted by Helloween
Anyone else here into LTE or SA?
I'm a huge LTE fan. I mean, I listen to anything Petrucci's involved in. It's possible that I'm particularly biased because he's from my home town, but I'm really just in awe of his virtuosity and creativity. It's funny, I actually thought you were talking about his album "Suspended Animation" when you mentioned SA. XD

Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2006, 07:08 PM #12 of 1376
Originally Posted by Helloween
Have you seen G3 live in Tokyo? John puts on a prime performance.
Yep, it actually led me to purchase Suspended Animation. <3 Damage Control. I can't say I really enjoyed the covers that they played though. I love all three guitarists but this concert wasn't exactly the sum of their talents.

Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:45 AM #13 of 1376
Well, the new The Mars Volta album, Amputechture, has been leaked. It is definitely not a metal album, but there are some elements of metal in a few songs, so I'll talk about it here. The leak quality is actually quite good this time, so I don't feel like I'm doing the band wrong by listening to it. I just have a few things to say about the album. Omar has matured significantly as a producer. However, I think he needs to put tighter reigns on Cedric, whose vocals almost mar the album in some places. The beginning of the album is excellent, the middle is quite good, and the end is weak...it was the same with Frances the Mute. Omar should take a cue from Rick Reuben, who produced their first album; I'll be damned if "Take the Veil, Cerpin Taxt" isn't the strongest finish to an album I've ever heard.

Anyway, if you're interested but can't seem to find a torrent for the album, send me a PM or IM or whatever. Just promise you'll buy the official release. =)

Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Jul 24, 2006, 05:16 PM #14 of 1376
The only screamer I can listen to is Townsend. Dunno why.

Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:11 AM #15 of 1376
Nice save...

Apparently no one here is into The Mars Volta. I made a thread about the new album but it sank like a lead balloon.

How ya doing, buddy?
Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2006, 12:37 PM #16 of 1376
Um, yeah it is. It's like Prog Salsa Metal Fusion.

Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2006, 02:08 PM #17 of 1376
I really beg to differ. The Mars Volta refuse to be pinned down, but there is an undeniable metal influence. KC and Van Der Graaf weren't anything close to metal.

How ya doing, buddy?
Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2006, 06:41 PM #18 of 1376
Haha, this thread was dying and I sparked some activity. You want me to go away?

Fine, lump it all into "progressive rock". The term doesn't actually define much, but whatever. Compare them to bands they're nothing like. Classify, oversimplify, everything is black and white. So narrow-minded.

I don't care what you call them, I brought them up here. If you don't like them just say so. No need for pretense.

Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2006, 02:15 PM #19 of 1376
Originally Posted by Dalkaen
What's wrong with Opeth, incidentally? Just curious.
That's a good question. I'm not even a fan of death metal, but I really like Opeth...perhaps therein lies the problem. XD

Anyone grab the new Angra album yet? You can get the single here (as far as I'm aware the band released this on the Internet themselves). I'm in the process of downloading the full album. I'm hoping this doesn't end up being to Temple of Shadows what Fireworks was to Holy Land...Angra version 3, just in time for the breakup of Shaman. =D Yeah, Shaman broke up. Matos doesn't get along well with others I guess.

Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 01:21 PM #20 of 1376
You're pretentious and boring. Ha!

I mean, it's cool if you don't like a particular band, but you're just so damn turgid about it. Incidentally, when did this become your personal metal op-ed column?

The new Angra album, "Aurora Consurgens", is a huge step backward. There's no...soul. The songwriting has evaporated. Even Rebirth and Fireworks had a few good tracks. There's just nothing new here.

Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:10 AM #21 of 1376
Has anyone heard Derek Sherinian's solo work? I just got Blood of the Snake and it's pretty solid.

For Christmas I got (among other things which I dare not mention here *ahem* King Crimson's Red <3) the debut albums of both Angra and Shaman. HOLY SHIT. Now I'm actually upset that Shaman disbanded. And Angels Cry is right up there with Temple and Holy Land for me. At the risk of being contrarian, I love the Kate Bush cover.

Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Jan 26, 2007, 01:22 PM #22 of 1376
Ugh...Pain of Salvation's Scarsick...too much overt America bashing even for me. There are a couple choruses ("America", "Disco Queen") that make me cringe. The good stuff on here is basically the same old shit. I'm glad I didn't know about this album and wasn't anticipating it. I am still anticipating The Perfect Element pt. II, though.

Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Jan 26, 2007, 02:43 PM #23 of 1376
Well I wouldn't know that, since I downloaded it. =B When I was looking for info, someone mentioned that they were separate albums, but apparently he was wrong. I was going to say that the better songs did sound like Part I. I guess King and Kingdom of Loss go along with what you're saying. Well, thanks for ruining my day.

FELIPE NO
Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 12:02 PM #24 of 1376
Soooo the new Dream Theater has been titled and dated. Systematic Chaos hits shops in June.

Also it contains a 25-minute-plus track, and a song called Prophets of War. Just from the track/album titles it all sounds very Megadethly.
I'm not loving the album title...and since there's no music to go along with it, there's really nothing else I can say. XD Actually, I'm not going to expect anything from this album. At this point they would need to do something really original, and I don't see that happening.

BTW, Scarsick has grown on me. I still don't like "America" or the chorus of "Disco Queen", but the rest is good.

Last edited by Will; Feb 12, 2007 at 12:05 PM.
Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2007, 11:44 PM #25 of 1376
Holy crap, Hevy Devy and Dream Theater have new albums out? Where the hell have I been?

OMG, Systematic Chaos is on a fucking DVD! I'm wet.

Last edited by Will; May 12, 2007 at 12:19 AM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)