Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)

Sian
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 377

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2007, 05:22 PM Local time: Jul 11, 2007, 10:22 PM #1 of 1376
Nightwish people here?

A few songs off their new album have leaked. I have them if anyone wants them.

How ya doing, buddy?
Sian
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 377

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Oct 21, 2007, 10:28 AM Local time: Oct 21, 2007, 03:28 PM #2 of 1376
Opinions on the new Nightwish album? I can upload it for anyone who wants it.

Personally, I think it's amazing. A few of my favourite tracks:
The Poet and the Pendulum - 14 minutes long, a mixture of something you might hear in a epic film combined with some shit hot rockin'. Definitely worth hearing if you're a fan of orchestration with rock.

Bye Bye Beautiful - A song about the departure of Tarja with lyrics such as "Did you ever hear what I told you? Did you ever read what I wrote down? Did you ever listen to what we played?". It reminds me of Wish I Had An Angel.

Amaranth - The catchiest and most radio friendly song on the album, still I don't see that as a bad thing - gotta love singing along.

Master Passion Greed - For me, the surprise track on the album. It's the most metal Nightwish have ever gone - and it works. Only Marco sings on this track, as well as a choir. The outro to this song is incredible, double bass drumming with a brass arrangement. Can't go wrong!

Whoever Brings the Night - Song written by the guitarist Emppu, very very very cool song. The guitars are great, the vocals are haunting, and of course the orchestra and choir does not disappoint.

7 Days To The Wolves - It's a grower, but still a very good song.

Meadows of Heaven - My favourite song that's tied between this and The Poet... It's one of the slower songs, but the gradual build up to the end is beautiful. The last 2 minutes of this song gives me shivers every time, the band breaks out along with the orchestra and oh yes - a gospel choir. Sounds weird, but god dammit it's amazing. Anette's vocals on this track just prove she was a great choice.

Preview of the Album MP3

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Sian; Oct 21, 2007 at 10:53 AM.
Sian
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 377

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2007, 06:44 PM Local time: Oct 24, 2007, 11:44 PM #3 of 1376
Honestly, I don't see anything new on Nightwish's new album. Same old stuff. They're not being creative.
I think the new album is much like a progression from the old stuff, and I do think they've peaked in terms of what they can do with their sound. What I mean by that is working with a full orchestra and choir instead of using keyboards like their early work. I love the Nightwish sound, so hearing it on a new album really doesn't bother me. I do think it'd be good to change their direction for the next album, since just a repeat of Dark Passion Play will disappoint. I think DPP is much like Once but the huge difference is obviously the new singer. In the meantime, I love the new material and I can't wait to see how Anette will perform live singing the new songs.

I've seen a few clips on Youtube, looks like they've re-recorded the backing track for Wishmaster with the choir and orchestra from DPP recording sessions and it sounds incredible. Mostly Anette does a really good job with the old material, sometimes it's a bit cringe worthy.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Sian
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 377

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Oct 30, 2007, 12:52 PM Local time: Oct 30, 2007, 05:52 PM #4 of 1376
I don't think how Amy Lee dresses is relevant to the music to be honest. I also don't think she's ever worn white make up, she's just naturally pale =D.

Most of my favourite bands are female fronted, so naturally i'm going to disagree with a lot of what's being said about them not being able to sing and the music itself being mediocre. However, I know that Evanescence's 'Fallen' had the same damn guitar riff for almost every song, and if Amy Lee's vocals aren't your cup of tea then you're not going to like Evanescence much. 'The Open Door' is a wonderful album in terms of music, the guitars are a lot more intricate. But alas, if you don't like Amy Lee's voice then you're not going to like it! It's the same with any band, for me anyway, if the vocals are shit then the music has got to be something else for me to like them - and even grow to like the vocals.

Nightwish, Tarja was always going to be a hit and miss with her vocals. Even for me when I first heard their music, her vocals didn't quite sink in with me. But I heard something in the music that caught my attention, which is why I grew to like Tarja's voice. The music itself can be considered over the top and sometimes cheesy, but Wish I Had An Angel is a great song if you can get over the initial "What the fuck?" stage. It's definitely a grower. Nightwish's music is fantastic, but then again i've always loved the concept of rock/metal with orchestration. Anette is a great singer, sure she doesn't have a mind blowingly amazing voice but she does the job and she does it well.

Cristina Scabbia has a great voice, I think it fits perfectly with the music.

As for looks, Tarja had a strange kind of beauty, Anette is more cute than anything, Cristina is hot and Amy Lee is beautiful.

I keep hearing the "pop" singer tag being thrown around, and quite frankly it's bullshit. What defines a pop singer? There's a range of voices that appear in popular charted music, there isn't a fixed meaning to the word "pop". All vocalists have their own style, such as all the females in metal have their own style.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Sian
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 377

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Oct 30, 2007, 07:23 PM Local time: Oct 31, 2007, 12:23 AM #5 of 1376
I think it's great when rock and metal get some airplay on the radio. The more people aware of this amazing genre of music, the better.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Sian
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 377

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2007, 10:00 AM Local time: Oct 31, 2007, 03:00 PM #6 of 1376
Unfortunately 99% of people will be all like 'fuck this noise' and pop in a Britanna Aguilopez CD.

And people wonder why metalheads are perceived as closed-minded.
True, but there's a very small percentage who do like it!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Sian
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 377

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2007, 05:14 PM Local time: Oct 31, 2007, 10:14 PM #7 of 1376
Aww niki that's such a shame! I've done that before at Download festival, running from one tent to another in the blistering heat made it even worse.

FELIPE NO
Sian
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 377

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2007, 10:29 AM Local time: Nov 4, 2007, 03:29 PM #8 of 1376
I really don't listen to the radio, so I wouldn't even know if the bands I listen to are played on it. I download albums based on recommendations from the artists I already like and my music taste branches out from that. If the song's good - I don't care whether the artist/band are big headed twats. Music is music after all.

*waiting for Metallica to burn her flat down*

I might get shot down for suggesting this, but I know the J-Pop thread has a little introduction with a list of bands people might want to check out if they want to start looking into the music more. Anyone interested in making one for this one? I love metal, but I admit hands down to not knowing an awful lot about all the bands that are out there. Maybe pitching together we can make a nice dandy list and some descriptions for people to check out. Just a thought!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Sian
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 377

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2007, 01:00 PM Local time: Nov 4, 2007, 06:00 PM #9 of 1376
I saw a thread a long while ago on another board which was called something along the lines of 'An Introduction to Metal'. The first post had little headers describing the different genres (not mentioning sub-subgenres like groove metal, thankfully), what they entailed, how they came about, how stereotypical "metal" bands are anything but, and examples of prominent bands of each field. I'd be more than happy to throw one together for this topic.
That'd be great. It doesn't have to cover every single band under each sub-genre but the obvious players in each one would be make good. I could always help out where I could i.e. the female fronted metal

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Sian
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 377

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2007, 04:27 PM Local time: Nov 4, 2007, 09:27 PM #10 of 1376
About Metallica, it was kind of funny. When Megadeth's new album was released this year, it reached about the 30th or so place in the Finnish charts. But on the very same list week, all of Metallica's albums (I mean, all _ten_ of them) were above it, because the shops just started selling them in midprice again. The midprice mania lasted about a month, the albums are full-priced again.

It's very, very odd here.
How odd! Can't say no to a bargain I guess.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)