Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)

Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 06:22 PM #1 of 1376
Hmm, well, I have returned.
I guess I better follow the tradition and post my list of bands in case anyone cares.

* Traditional/heavy metal/NWOBHM

Accept
Angelwitch
Bruce Dickinson
Cage
Halford
Iron Maiden
Jag Panzer
Judas Priest
King Diamond
Legend (UK)
Manilla Road
Mercyful Fate
Rainbow
Saxon
Witchfinder General

* Speed, power, prog

Adagio
Agent Steel
Amorphis (later era)
Ayreon / Star One
Blind Guardian
Demons & Wizards
Control Denied
Gamma Ray
Grave Digger
Helloween
Lefay / Morgana Lefay
Luca Turilli
Memento Mori
Metal Church
Motörhead
Persuader
Rhapsody
Running Wild
Sabaton
Sinergy
Symphony X
Wuthering Heights

* Death

Amorphis (first two albums)
Arghoslent
Behemoth
Bolt Thrower
Death
Luciferion
Obituary
Possessed
Quo Vadis
Septic Flesh
Sepultura
Sinister
Suffocation
The Chasm
Therion (first three albums)
Torture Squad

* Thrash

Anacrusis
Anthrax
Exodus (well, only Bonded by Blood)
Iced Earth (early - later is not bad too, but not thrash)
Kreator
Megadeth, Metallica (old, obviously)
Overkill
Raise Hell
Slayer (old, obviously)
Sodom
Testament
Usurper

* Black

Abigor
Bathory
Carpathian Forest
Darkthrone (first two albums)
Dark Fortress
Dimmu Borgir
Dissection
Emperor (first album only)
Graveland
Immortal
Marduk
Naglfar
Nokturnal Mortum
Old Man's Child
Samael
Satyricon
Summoning
Venom (only "Black Metal", though)

* Folk/viking

Ancient Rites
Arkona
Cruachan
Einherjer
Elvenking
Ensiferum
Finntroll
Hantaoma
Korpiklaani
Lumsk
Mägo de Oz
Månegarm
Mithotyn
Moonsorrow
Nerthus
Otyg
Skyclad
Storm
Talamyys
Tuatha De Danann
Turisas
Vintersorg

* Doom, stoner

Black Sabbath
Candlemass
Count Raven
Dantesco
Electric Wizard
Grand Magus
Saint Vitus
Sir Lord Baltimore
Solitude Aeturnus
Stillborn
Witchcraft

* Other favourites

Bal-Sagoth
Cradle of Filth
Dark Tranquillity
Dead Silent Slumber
Haggard
Hollenthon
In the Woods...
Moonspell
Therion (symphonic era)

You might ah, notice an obvious fondness for viking and folk metal...

Originally Posted by knkwzrd
Pantera is interesting, because they started way back in '83 and released three horrifically awful power metal albums independently, but they really grew as the nineties came around and I really respect their later catalogue. Really though, avoid those first three albums like the plague.
Actually, their glam albums are by far the best albums they have ever released.

Most amazing jew boots
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 06:56 PM #2 of 1376
Absolutely a good call on the Metallica, but I question the Slayer. Slayer is one of the few thrash outfits that have stuck to their guns all these years. I don't think they've weakened in the slightest. Along with Motörhead, they are easily the most reliable band in metal. You always know what you're going to get when you pick up their new album.
What. The. Fuck.

You're not serious, are you? There is no way anyone can say such a blatant lie with a straight face.

...Wait, I get it. You're stuck in a timewarp? Well, we're in 2005, not 1990.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 03:18 AM #3 of 1376
If you like the last two Behemoth, get Thelema.6. Great stuff in the same vein. And "Christian to the Lions" is a classic.

Originally Posted by S?ecter
2006, maybe, anyone? lol...It's already March for crying out loud...:eyebrow:
Bahahahaha. :doh: I usually take around 4-5 months to realize we changed year.

Still, the guy's far crazier than I. His comments about Slayer are seriously disturbing.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 06:50 PM #4 of 1376
Originally Posted by Iwata
Acoustic guitars is what turned most of metal bands into shit.
Bollocks. Dark Tranquillity's "Mine is the Grandeur..." intro to "...Of Melancholy Burning" is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written.
Like everything else, it's not the actual instrument, but the use of it. Same with keyboards in metal, violins in metal, symphony in metal, orchestras in metal, female vocals in metal, etc. You can have gay-ass shit like Sonata Arctica (crap keyboards) or Opeth (crap acoustic parts) or Nightwish's Once (crap symphony, crap female vocals), but you can also have Summoning (awesome keyboards), Dark Tranquillity's first two albums (awesome acoustic parts), Therion (awesome symphony, female vocals), and so on.

Double Post:
Though, I must thank you for stirring the conversation in another direction than something like System of a Down. Let's keep it this way.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Morrigan; Mar 13, 2006 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Automerged double post.
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 09:10 PM #5 of 1376
As much as I loathe and despise both of these fallen hacks of musicians, I feel obliged to repost the speeches Lars Ulrich and James Hetfield made to induct Black fucking Sabbath into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, as they are surprisingly good speeches and Black Sabbath alone is worth it:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=49600

Respect to the Creators!

I was speaking idiomatically.
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 06:34 PM #6 of 1376
I always refrain from reading the posts at Blabbermouth, because I don't want my IQ to suddenly drop at alarming rates.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 05:57 PM #7 of 1376
No but it was about damn time they were inducted into any hall of fame, really.

Just got those from the used CD stores: Queensrÿche - s/t (for a whooping 7$ CAD) and Samael - Blood Ritual (original, not re-issue, I hope that's rare.. hehe).

FELIPE NO
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 08:22 PM #8 of 1376
knkwzrd - This is total Sleep worship, but otherwise pretty good. Thanks for the link.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 08:09 PM #9 of 1376
I saw Morbid Angel and Behemoth earlier this week. Fucking AWESOME show. The sound could have been better for Behemoth (and thankfully crisp and sharp for MA), but Krisiun didn't make it so they played a bit longer. And while I wasn't a huge fan of Morbid Angel, it was impossible not to headbang furiously the whole time. ALL classic songs, mostly from Altars of Madness (my favourite by them). Insane!

And now my latest haul:

* Gamma Ray - Majestic
* Bathory - Blood on Ice
* Immortal - Battles in the North
* Behemoth - Satanica
* Forsaken - Dominaeon (The band from Malta: powerish doom, similar to Solitude Aeturnus. Great stuff)
* Pharaoh - The Longest Night (USPM, similar to Jag Panzer and Iron Maiden, with the Control Denied vocalist - excellent leads on there too)

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 01:35 PM #10 of 1376
Yep. "Happy little happy little happy little boozers, happy little happy little happy little boozers!"

Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 08:55 PM #11 of 1376
XtremeDJW's description is accurate. I would compare them more to Otyg than Finntroll, though, with the fiddle and all.

I got the new Summoning last week. \m/ And, non-metal related, but two game soundtracks in the mail today, after over 3 weeks of waiting. Finally!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 09:18 PM #12 of 1376
DarkLink, so you like flowery sympho metal eh? Well, that's already better than the corecrap, so there's that at least.

Originally Posted by guyinrubbersuit
Which soundtracks?
Wild ARMs: Alter Code F OST, and Genso Suikogaiden Vol. 1 OST. Animenation took some time, but it got there at last.

Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 08:58 PM #13 of 1376
Walls of Jericho >>>>>>>>>>>>> all the other Helloween. Fuck, Kai Hansen isn't the best vocalist (and he's much better now than he used to be), but the passion, the fury and the energy in this album outshines anything else they've done. Don't get me wrong, I love the Keepers to death, and I also love The Time of the Oath and The Dark Ride, but for different reasons, and they are still too... flowery compared to the rawness of Walls of Jericho.

Sonata Arctica... haha. A good joke I read recently. On a metal forum, there was this thread that went, "if _____ grew a huge pair of balls, they'd sound like ____". Example, "if Poison grew a huge pair of balls, they'd sound like WASP".
And then there was one that won the thread: "If Avenged Sevenfold grew a huge pair of balls, they'd sound like Sonata Arctica".

Originally Posted by guyinrubbersuit
What's some good metal sung in their native language? I know bands like Vintersorg, Brujeria, Sex Machineguns and early Dimmu Borgir sung in their native tongue, what are some other bands like them? I don't mean musically like them, it can be whatever style of metal, just as long as it's non English.
Metalucifer. Kidding, but the Engrish is amusing. Hmm, since you know Vintersorg I assume you already know Otyg. So, try these:

Hantaoma (folk metal; Occitan)
Arkona (folk metal; Russian)
Finntroll (folk/"polka" metal: they sing in Swedish though, not Finnish)
Moonsorrow (folk/viking; Finnish)
Mägo de Oz (folk; Spanish)
Dantesco (doom/power; Spanish)
Killers (speed metal; French, a bit of English)
Haggard (a bit of German, latin, some French; symphonic/baroque)
Storm (folk; Norwegian)
Lumsk (see above)
Månegarm (black/viking; Swedish)
In Extremo (weird folkish/medieval metal; German)
Misanthrope (err... symphonic doom? avant-garde? ; occasional French)

...Yeah, they're mostly folk metal bands. I guess it's those that are really close to their home culture.

Most amazing jew boots
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old May 6, 2006, 12:31 PM #14 of 1376
I like Haggard. I recently bought Eppur Si Muove. Kind of samey with the previous albums, but still good.

Originally Posted by Dalkaen
I don't think much of it. I saw part of their "Top 40 Metal Songs" program, and it included songs by Korn, AC/DC, and Kiss. None of these are metal bands, in my opinion. And then Slipknot was on there. Perhaps a metal band, but certainly not a very good one.
Now now... none of those bands are metal, but come on, AC/DC and Kiss are closer to it than Slipknot.

Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2006, 11:43 AM #15 of 1376
Originally Posted by XtremeDJW
Its because they aren't from Norway, aren't tr00 and don't use classical influences etc etc.
Right.

FELIPE NO
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 05:14 PM #16 of 1376
Originally Posted by Krelian
edit: Huh, Morrigan posts here? Cool.
Eh? Do I know you?

How ya doing, buddy?
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 09:09 PM #17 of 1376
Yeah, that's me. I guess I'm an e-celebrity now... wheee!

Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2006, 09:07 PM #18 of 1376
Originally Posted by Iwata
I have to say i agree with Morrigan when it comes to Slayer and their fans. Their fans are the most annoying bastards known to man, only second to metallica fans and the fact that they have only made one worthwhile album which was " Reign of Blood " which was like 20 years ago, yet they still act like they are the hottest thing around. Pfft.
Heh, thanks. But I don't agree, Show No Mercy is awesome, better than Reign in Blood IMO (which is good, but very repetitive).

But yeah, I think the worse are the Pantera fans. 'Lica fans too, obviously, but there is something so very... redneck about Pantera fanboys.

Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2006, 01:02 PM #19 of 1376
Obligatory haul post:

Used CDs:
* Cynic - Focus
* Tiamat - Wildhoney
* Dokken - Tooth and Nail
* Kitaro - From the Full Moon Story

New CDs:
* Korpiklaani - Tales Along This Road
* Morbid Angel - Blessed Are the Sick
* Therion - A'arab Zaraq Lucid Dreaming (yeah, I know... but I'm a Therion fangirl, and it was my tenth CD on my card so it was free )

Wow, I now have every single studio album by Therion. The only other such group (well, with more than 2-3 albums out) is probably Blind Guardian.

How ya doing, buddy?
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2006, 06:28 PM #20 of 1376
I never stopped listening to anything I liked, be it metal, folk, darkwave, new age or movie/game scores. But sometimes I have "phases" of when I'm heavily into a certain thing for a while. I was a on a folk (not folk metal, just folk) kick a while ago, and I hardly listened to anything else, and recently I kept listening to tons of game soundtracks, it had been a while since I hadn't touched them.

Metal is boring if it's the only genre you listen to because then there is no contrast.
I'm not sure I agree. Metal is a very varied genre. Hell, see my last haul (minus the Kitaro, obviously). Not a single band sounds remotely like the other. Tiamat, Dokken and Morbid Angel? Hehehe....

Quote:
But don't start listening to Black Eyed Peas, for god's sake. That is not an acceptable alternative for anything.
*LOL! Who are they again? The name's vaguely familiar. I'm gonna have a guess and say it's emo. (Yeah, I could Google, but I'm lazy.)

*We need a laughing emoticon.

Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2006, 12:13 AM #21 of 1376
Originally Posted by DarkLink2135
Dude....uh....ok, listen to these bands:

Dragonforce
Haggard
Extol
Rhapsody
Deep Purple
Black Sabbath
Demons and Wizards
Illuminandi
Immortal Souls
Sonata Arctica

and tell me there isn't any contrast.
I'm sorry, but those are terrible examples. These bands have a lot in common. I see knkwzrd (that's hard to spell)'s point, and disagree, but you just made it for him. Especially for someone who's not really familiar with metal.

I liked my examples better. Tiamat, Morbid Angel, Korpiklaani, Dokken. What do they have in common? Hmmm, they have distorted guitars... that is all. ^_^ And the contrast is definitely there.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2006, 02:13 PM #22 of 1376
A LOT in common? I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to say you've listened to virtually none of those, or aren't very musically inclined at all. A couple of them are similar in style or genre, but hardly have a lot in common other than being "power metal" or whatnot. Where do you get off saying Dragonforce and Haggard have a lot in common?
You missed the point. knkwzrd said metal lacked contrast. Obviously for someone who knows metal, Dragonforce and Sonata Arctica are different, but even I would agree there is not much of a contrast.
As examples of contrasting bands, you named Deep Purple and Black Sabbath, and you also named DragonForce, Sonata Arctica, Rhapsody and Demons & Wizards. If you fail to see why they are poor examples of contrasting bands, and why Morbid Angel and Tiamat are, then I can't help you. That doesn't mean the bands you listed sound identical, that's not what I said at all.

Quote:
Anyway....for a new topic...whats everyone's favorite DragonForce song?
The one between Valley of the Damned and Black Fire on their first album. Best one they ever made.

:P

Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2006, 11:08 PM #23 of 1376
Yeah, I'm missing your definition of contrast, but whatever.
*blinks* Use a dictionary? Heh.

Quote:
I think you probably mean Black Winter's Night, but that comes after Black Fire . Those two are consecutive tracks . Also an amazing track though .
No, I most definitely meant the track between those two. Now, look above and behind you, you see that thing going wayyyy over your head? Do you know what it is? It's a called... wait for it... a... joke! :P

FELIPE NO
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 02:19 PM #24 of 1376
That depends entirely on the band. Some example of bands whose sound majorly changed throughout their career, or evolved significantly:

- Amorphis is barely metal anymore (though the last album is a bit harder than the previous two), but still quite good. Completely different than what they used to be, but there is nothing really accessible about their new sound. Which might be why there was like 100 people at the last concert here, unlike the several hundreds at the Foufs the last two times...
- In Flames has just been progressively worse after Jester Race. I thought it couldn't get worse after Reroute, but somehow they managed to sound more and more awful. Soilwork has had a very similar pattern since The Chainheart Machine.
- Therion has changed a lot also, and are somehow as good as they ever were. It seems that writing death metal music or writing symphonic heavy metal changes nothing in the quality of their music. But then again, I *am* a bit of a Therion fangirl... still, I recognize that Deggial and Secret of the Runes are a bit of a Vovin rehash... but they still have amazing qualities, and the last double album was even better, and more trad/power metal-influenced than ever before, which is different.
- Skyclad has practically abandonned all its thrash roots since Vintage Whine, yet their last three albums are as stellar as ever. Even without Walkyier they managed to release a very solid, if a bit different, album. I thought Walkyier's loss would hurt them far more than it did, so I was pleasantly surprised.
- Behemoth has gained a lot of respect as a black metal band, and many don't care for their turn to the death metal style... but I, for one, think they're better as DM than BM.
- 'Lica, Sepultura, Slayer, Megadeth are all the most obvious examples of bands whose commercial success and/or sound change has been synonymous with utter crap, and whose classic albums are so good they are essential for fans of the genre.
- Bathory... an interesting band. He basically invented two genres. Personally I prefer the viking era, though I still enjoy Under the Sign of the Black Mark. But which "era" is more appreciated or respected in general? I wouldn't know, it seems the two have been hugely influential, possibly equally, though we do find more BM bands than viking bands now - but then again, newer BM bands are probably more influenced by Darkthrone and Burzum than Bathory nowadays. *shrugs*

I'm not sure where I'm going with all of this... I guess, it doesn't matter if they are still metal or not, what matters is if they are GOOD or not. As I said, Amorphis barely qualifies as metal anymore, but at least they're still good. Slayer's still metal, but they suck ass now, same with Megadeth. I don't consider In Flames, 'Lica and Soilwork to be metal at all anymore.

But I've sometimes had to make a "metal band or not?" call for my website (and never stopped hating it), and when that happened, I preferred to go on an album basis. You can't change the past, and even if Ulver, Burzum or Metallica stopped being metal, their old albums are enough to let 'em in.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 08:51 PM #25 of 1376
A tape of Under the Sign of the Black Mark? Now that's necr0-kvlt.
I have some CD re-release with the modified tracklisting (first two tracks in one), it's a bit irritating. :|

I don't know what my favourite Bathory album is. Hmm.... Probably Blood Fire Death or Hammerheart, but I do love both Nordland albums too.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)