Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] LOST
Closed Thread

JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:46 AM #76 of 1091
Originally Posted by quazi
Family guy basically does the same thing as do a bunch of other shows on FOX. Of course that's why good shows on that network get cancelled.
Well, it's a bit different with Family Guy. There's no continunity, no cliffhangers, and you can easily watch reruns and still find enjoyment.

I can't really watch a rerun of Lost without getting bored.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Talbain
Quilty as Charged

Member 19

Level 10.84

Feb 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:52 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 04:52 PM #77 of 1091
Originally Posted by JazzFlight
From personal experience, this is a show that I have to watch in sequence, and then it is watchable. It is far too serialized to watch piece-by-piece.

Plus I think part of the reason we can't watch reruns is some internal drive to see the next part. Going back over old stuff and taking you out of the roll of new shows you've been seeing is almost like taking steps back from the current storylines.

I was speaking idiomatically.
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:58 AM #78 of 1091
Originally Posted by Talbain
From personal experience, this is a show that I have to watch in sequence, and then it is watchable. It is far too serialized to watch piece-by-piece.

Plus I think part of the reason we can't watch reruns is some internal drive to see the next part. Going back over old stuff and taking you out of the roll of new shows you've been seeing is almost like taking steps back from the current storylines.
Yeah, the only episodes I can actually sit down and watch are my DVDs from the first season, since it was SO LONG AGO.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:45 PM #79 of 1091
I did enjoy when they reran the first two episodes a few weeks back. For some reason that was enjoyable.

I'm wondering if any season after the first can match up to Season 1. Season 2 is definitely not as good for several reasons, one of them is pacing and I haven't liked pretty much any of the character developments either. I'm wondering if LOST spoiled itself with bunkers, smoke monsters, killer sharks (unrelated note; I recently found out that they're sensitive to electromagnetic radiation), heiroglyphics, etc.

There seems like there's only but so much they can do with flashbacks, at the same time there's only but so many main recurring characters they can add into the show. Can the island's mystery last for another three seasons? It seems like a lot of people are already fed up with the lack of answers right now.

FELIPE NO
quazi
I apologize for nothing!

Member 353

Level 15.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 09:03 PM #80 of 1091
Well, it's a bit different with Family Guy. There's no continunity, no cliffhangers, and you can easily watch reruns and still find enjoyment.

Good point.

Well, with Lost being one of (the?) most watched shows on television, they don't really need to put one out every week. If people will still watch reruns, they still make a shitload of money, with far fewer costs. It makes sense from an economical point of view.

Plus they definately have no fucking clue what to do with the plot now because they've got it going in fifty billion directions. They're stalling.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

"Oh sirrah"
-Hedonism Bot

Last edited by quazi; Mar 10, 2006 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Automerged double post.
rockthepartay
Crazy people don't know they're going crazy. They think they're getting saner.

Member 693

Level 13.91

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 09:25 PM #81 of 1091
Quote:
Can the island's mystery last for another three seasons?
I was just thinking this the other day. The producers say that the show can last for another 5 years, but I don't see how this show can stay interesting after 5 seasons.

If this show wants to remain interesting, most of the questions that we have about the purpose/history of the island and the Hanso foundation should be revealed by the end of the third season.

Because, seriously, nobody is going to continue watching for that much longer without knowing what exactly the island is.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 02:33 AM #82 of 1091
Originally Posted by rockthepartay
I was just thinking this the other day. The producers say that the show can last for another 5 years, but I don't see how this show can stay interesting after 5 seasons.

If this show wants to remain interesting, most of the questions that we have about the purpose/history of the island and the Hanso foundation should be revealed by the end of the third season.

Because, seriously, nobody is going to continue watching for that much longer without knowing what exactly the island is.
At the end of Season 1, I had wanted the cast to find a whole city underneath the bunker door.

I wanted each Season to be set in a different location.

For example:
S1 -> Island surface
S2 -> Island underground
S3 -> Military facility / Prison
S4 -> Back home, then back to the Island?

You know, something to keep the seasons DIFFERENT. Right now, if you compare a clip from Season 2 and Season 1, it's pretty much indistinguishable (excluding dead/new characters or plot points like the bunker).

How ya doing, buddy?
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 03:09 AM #83 of 1091
Originally Posted by rockthepartay

But then the question is, is there shit to watch the show for if there's no mystery? Unless the answer is a setup for a lot of interesting episodes, I can see this turning out bad. There's been mystery since episode 1.

I do imagine the mystery being completely solved or mostly solved at some point, but I figured that would be around the last season.

I predict that this show will have to know when it's tired and pull out (Alias should have done this), or people will get bored with it and it won't be allowed another season and everything is forced to be resolved.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 03:22 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 09:22 AM #84 of 1091
I wanted each Season to be set in a different location.

For example:
S1 -> Island surface
S2 -> Island underground
S3 -> Military facility / Prison
S4 -> Back home, then back to the Island?

You know, something to keep the seasons DIFFERENT.
Well, the island underground was the main location in like three or four episodes of the second season, nothing spectacular in my opinion. After episode #1 I was like "omg wow cool an underground base", but after episode #3 or #4, I felt that it just wasn't special anymore.

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 04:02 AM #85 of 1091
Well it seems like there are a number of bunkers built underground; and maybe they're even connected (physically) somehow.

However they've been slow to show them to us. I thought that Ana-Lucia was to find an underwater hatch; or so said a spoiler. It makes sense, with that cable leading from the ocean and further inland. That hasn't happened yet.

Cyantre

Member 2635

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 09:44 PM #86 of 1091
In my opinion the "monster" is a physical manifestation of everyone's individual fears. The only two people on the island who haven't been affected by the "monster" are Locke and Echo, which coincedentaly are the only two people who believe that fate is what brought them to the island. Those two characters also seem to have accepted their past and feel more at home on the island than they did before the crash.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 09:50 PM #87 of 1091
That theory has been thrown around a lot. I don't think Eko feels at home on the island. He faced the monster because he's badass; Locke faced the monster because he figured if it was on the island then it can't be bad. Eko feels more so trapped there and accepts his fate, but he doesn't seem as willing as Locke.

For example, if their purpose on the island turned out to be questionably dark/evil, Eko seems like the kind of person to go, "fuck this, I'm not doing this." Locke on the other hand regards the island as his God in a sense, and would probably do whatever he felt he had to, even if he questioned it. Anything for purpose; and anything for the ability to walk.

FELIPE NO
Cyantre

Member 2635

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 09:54 PM #88 of 1091
I don't know. I think it too the island and that whole experience for Echo to atone for the sins he had committed. If the "monster" wanted to it could have tore Echo a new one (look at what it did to the pilot). The "monster" seems to force people to confront their past and all the bad memories they want to repress. Echo just stared them all in the face and pretty much just accepted his past.

rockthepartay

Member 693

Level 13.91

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:57 AM #89 of 1091
How do we know that "smokey" was the one that killed the pilot?

I've been thinking about that for awhile, and the fact of the matter is that we don't know what killed him. We are only assuming that the smoke monster killed the pilot because there were similar sounds occuring up to that point. But perhaps there are more than one "monster" at work?

Until we see the smoke monster attack/kill someone, I will continue to believe that there are two monsters, and the one that we have seen thus far is simply a type of "probe" of some sort.

khan0plinger
OH YES LET ME DROWN IN IT

Member 983

Level 17.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 01:02 AM #90 of 1091
I always thought that too, even after I saw the finale of last season. The monster in the pilot...had footsteps and made the plane shake...the smoke monster turns up trees and has a mechanical sound to it. Completely different if you ask me.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 01:06 AM #91 of 1091
Nah.

I think it's just the writers/crew being lazy and not knowing what the monster was supposed to be. At first, it was revealed from some rough drafts that it was going to be a... um... I forgot the name, but it's some mythical beast that has tentacles and tons of legs and all that crap. I remember there was a link to some history about that kind of creature.

Anyhow, then people started theorizing and the writers probably got stuck, realizing that they had to make something different, resulting in this boring, cliche nanomachine cloud. I MEAN FREAKING NANOMACHINES, IT'S THE OLDEST TRICK IN THE SCI-FI BOOK.

The theory that there are 2 monsters is just like the theory that there were two groups of "others." There aren't. It's too complicated and not easily spelled out from the beginning. Same with the criticisms about the "modern" washer/dryer. It's just a goof-up by the set designers.

I agree that the creators of Lost go out of their way to put in subliminal clues sometimes (like the numbers everywhere and the logo on the shark), but some theories by fans get soooo complicated that there's no way in hell it could be intended by the writers.

Last edited by JazzFlight; Mar 12, 2006 at 01:08 AM.
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 01:52 AM #92 of 1091
The Mapinguari.

Although there's been a lot of crazy stuff posted on the website; like Walt being a zombie - which is so ridiculous that you can't even attempt to take it seriously.

Unfortunately the concept of the Mapinguari sounded way more awesome than what the monster turned out to be. I still desire for it to be some bastardized bionic creature, but they made it smoke, so it's just lame. A part of me wants to think there are two monsters simply because it opens up the possibility that there could still be a Mapinguari

Although there's still evidence to support the "two monster" theory. One of them is the fact that no, we haven't seen it kill anything. Is it really that skirting cloud of smoke that completely passes groups only to return a few minutes later and uproot trees in its wake?

I also noticed that, in the 23rd Psalm, the direction in which the trees are being uprooted and the direction from which the smoke monster actually comes at least appear to be totally different. Watch that scene. You'll see two trees uprooted followed by Eko turning in the opposite direction, at which point we have the POV of the monster as it zooms toward him from afar.

The "modern" washer/dryer just seems to allude to the fact that they're not 100% stranded on the island and out of touch with the outside world. This is also evident based on the fact that the storage room is always supplied with food. Since I doubt there's a factory on the island pumping out Apollo bars, then at some point, someone on the island is interacting with the outside world in some kind of way, even if it is just a plane doing a supply drop (a plane flying overhead and dropping crates of food by parachute would freak everyone out - that would be awesome.)

The only reason why people create theories like "there are two groups of others" is because "The others sometimes wear disguises" is even more far out in the sense that the reasoning behind this would not be apparent. We still don't know why they want to appear as raggedy as they do. Instead of considering all the possibilities we consider the possibilities that don't lead to a bigger question, it seems like.

rockthepartay

Member 693

Level 13.91

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 02:26 AM #93 of 1091
The theory about two groups of Others really wasn't that farfetched at the time. Especially with the evidence that was given to the viewer.

It is the simple fact that the monster has yet to live up to its "security system" description that allows me to consider that there are two monsters. Until we either know more about the true intentions/purpose of the smoke monster or see it in action, I'd like to think that the idea of two monsters existing is not so unbelievable.

Majin yami
Callipygian Superman

Member 1810

Level 17.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 04:26 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 10:26 AM #94 of 1091
A massive hulking, drooling monster would be lame. It'd be like some cheesy 80's B-Movie and it would make Lost lose all credibility it has.The smoke monster is the security system. Accept it.

How ya doing, buddy?

>: 4 8 15 16 23 42
Long Live Lost
LiveJournal: Latest Entry: My Political Leanings.
Latest JOURNAL Entry:
ITE: I review the latest album by The Guillemots (also, exam results)

Cyantre

Member 2635

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:18 AM #95 of 1091
According to Regis Philbin, it's a dinosaur. (Currently the worst theory going). =P

FELIPE NO
khan0plinger

Member 983

Level 17.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 05:04 AM #96 of 1091
whats up with this letter? proof that henry is an other? or at least related to one?

http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/diary/104157.html

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 05:29 AM #97 of 1091
Originally Posted by Majin yami
A massive hulking, drooling monster would be lame. It'd be like some cheesy 80's B-Movie and it would make Lost lose all credibility it has.The smoke monster is the security system. Accept it.
It's all about execution, dude. A simple idea/premise in itself doesn't mean success. Hence why every time I try to explain LOST to people they go, "Oh, so it's like Gilligan's Island" and I shoot myself in the nuts.

The monster being an actual monster isn't a bad idea in itself. It just has to be a good monster, that's all.

Originally Posted by Knighthawk
whats up with this letter? proof that henry is an other? or at least related to one?

http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/diary/104157.html
That letter looks like a trick to me. My reasoning behind this is that somehow someone leaked a photo of Henry's balloon (complete with happy face) stuck in the trees, crew members about.

They (ABC/whoever?) tried desparately to get rid of it and pretty much forced a lot of sites that happened to post it to get rid of it. Of course, this being the internet, you cannot actually get rid of it entirely, only moderate its existence to an extent on some of the bigger fan websites.

Now they're trying to cover their butts with a confusing letter; my guess is to keep fans in mystery of if Henry is/isn't an Other, even after they saw the photo.

Then again, just because there's a balloon doesn't mean Henry is telling the truth entirely. It just means he saw the balloon at some point.

I won't trap myself into believing anything one way or an other. That way I cannot make an ass of myself

khan0plinger

Member 983

Level 17.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 07:09 AM #98 of 1091
You cant really lean towards one side, it just makes you doubt though. I mean you think its a trick...but in your mind it might not be. Is he an other? Or not? You dont know...but you wanna find out. Thats what makes the show intrigueing.

How ya doing, buddy?
Cyantre

Member 2635

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:20 AM #99 of 1091
The interesting thing about Henry is that whether he is or is not an other, just look at what he's doing to the characters on the island already. His existance is causing a huge drift between everyone on the island who learns about him. You can tell he already got to Locke. If he's not an other, he's just manipulative.

Sepharite
The Source

Member 328

Level 29.80

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:20 PM #100 of 1091
I think Henry knows about the Others and knows that his brother is an Other. Thus, Henry is there to rescue him or to be recruited as an Other. Meh.

Want obscure Classical Music CDs? Search: http://www.lib.uwo.ca/ PM me the code, I'll rip it for ya [MAX 2 CDS/User]
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] LOST