Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Anime] Death Note

chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 04:48 PM 1 #1 of 573
Death Note

after a long break.. i hope to see more DN fans.. Also the Official Movie Site is out..

http://wwws.warnerbros.co.jp/deathnote/

ANN's P.Summary

Quote:
Plot Summary: Shinigami own notebooks called “Death Notes” which are used as killing devices. Whoever’s name they write down in a death note will die within 40 seconds. Shinigami Ryuku accidentally dropped his Death Note in the human world where it’s found by honor high school student Raito. With the death note actually having directions in it for its use, Raito discovers he now has the power to discreetly kill people, and with this new power he plans to change the world in his ideal world by killing off criminals. Eventually the governments of the countries around the world notice the unusual amounts of deaths of their criminals, and figure out someone is behind them, but they have no way of discovering it themselves. That’s when they hire L, a master detective, to find out who is behind the murders.
Main Characters of the First Arc :

Raito/Light Yagami : given the name kira, Raito tested the notebook by
writing the murderer's (or anyone who commits crime) name and found out that people die in a result of a heart attack.

Shinigami Ryuuku/Ryuk : A death god who dropped his notebook and found Raito with it.
He then became Raito's partner from the very beginning.

Detective L (Ryuuzaki)

Watari : He is L's right hand man in the investigation of the kira case.
Watari is also the head of an orphanage home called the "Wammy House"

Souchiro Yagami : Other than being "One Time" (cop). he is also the father of Raito Yagami.

Misa Amane (This character shows up in Chapter 28) : After a few chapters and trouble between L ( and his crew) and Raito, A second Kira appears and puts her two cents on what she thinks of Kira.

Shinigami Remu/Rem : servant/friend/partner to the 2nd Kira (Misa Amane). a female death god who would do anything for misa and will also protect her to the very end.

EDIT For the Newcomers of Death Note, If you want to ask questions regarding 1st and 2nd arc, make sure they're in spoilers. We dont want to give away important parts to anyone who haven't read it yet./

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by chato; Feb 21, 2007 at 08:52 PM.
Perception
Trainer

Member 154

Level 1.47

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 05:15 PM #2 of 573
Whoa! This series is completely down my alley! The death notes along with eliminating criminals is an extraordinary idea. What are some more details on the production (sites, manga, anime)?

Thanks a lot for bringing this to my attention. Now I just have to make sure I don't hype it up for myself. Hype destroys any story. =)

There's nowhere I can't reach.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 05:26 PM #3 of 573
I believe the first 3 volumes are out now . the 4th one comes out this month i believe. Right now.. me and other die hard DN fans are in chapter 99 (The second Arc. pretty soon im going to post up the 2nd Arc characters but with a spoiler tag after the info you read up there.

i've already posted the movie site for it. I really prefer it to be animated but if they do this perfect then i wont complain. already the official site looks boring with all that sound lol.

NOTE : there is indeed a cameo appearance of Raito, L (on a bike), Misa and Souchiro Yagami in Full Metal Panic : the Second Raid. Do NOT mistake it for a DN Anime. there is none and hopefully should come out sometime this summer (maybe). not that it will but sometimes i can be right (almost).

i'll post the pic soon

edit : here it is..

why did they do it? we'll never know but like i said..its a sign that it will be animated.. hopefully ..the animation is the same like Hikaru No Go (only up to date) cause the artwork and design is by the same person.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by chato; Feb 21, 2007 at 08:53 PM.
CloudNine
#ABCDEF

Member 43

Level 18.48

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 05:33 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 05:33 PM #4 of 573
I really liked this manga when I was reading it. I only got about, 60 something, before I caught up to the currently translated chapters. I believe that was sometime after the first arc had ended.

From what I remember, I didn't like the way that the first arc ended and how they started to proceed afterwards. It seemed like they didn't really finish it, or maybe I just didn't like how they finished it.

I would be interested in picking it up where I left off, since I can't seem to find the rest of the volumes of Monster.

But a live action movie? Yuck, an anime would have been so much better.

Most amazing jew boots
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 05:39 PM #5 of 573
i agree. Oh and one more thing. the biggest rule in manga/anime

When we speak of chapters and especially the 2nd arc. make sure they are in spoiler tags. we dont want to ruin it for the newcomers.

in response to cloudnine
Spoiler:
i really disliked what happened to L when he died. but at the same time,cloud, we can't have it going on and on. the biggest turning point had to be when Raito got his memories back and when he killed off L. still, we were not able to find out his real name. So many people want him to be alive. im not sure if i remember much of it but his body did get buried "secretly" somewhere. i dont know what gives in that but in all seriousness in the story, they pulled off a great deal on how to end a hero's investigation and then passed on to the successors in the 2nd arc

I was speaking idiomatically.
Outlaw
Do not use elevator while on fire

Member 134

Level 14.63

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 06:26 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 04:26 PM #6 of 573
An anime is labled virtualy imposable by some fans, because one, the series is just to dark for the average anime goer. And 2, since L and Light think....alot....they don't think that it would work with all that thinking. I personaly am on the fence about their being a Death Note anime. On one side I think it would be cool to see it animated but on the other side....I have a bad feeing that the shinigami would be the only thing computered in a 2D inviroment and that it won't live up to the manga.....

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
soulsteelgray
And now for something new

Member 451

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 06:35 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 05:35 PM #7 of 573
Originally Posted by Outlaw
An anime is labled virtualy imposable by some fans, because one, the series is just to dark for the average anime goer. And 2, since L and Light think....alot....they don't think that it would work with all that thinking. I personaly am on the fence about their being a Death Note anime. On one side I think it would be cool to see it animated but on the other side....I have a bad feeing that the shinigami would be the only thing computered in a 2D inviroment and that it won't live up to the manga.....
I think the excessive wordiness of the series is one of the primary reasons that an anime adaption wouldn't work out so well. I'm curious to see how they'll deal with the internal dialogue in the movie.

FELIPE NO
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 08:59 PM #8 of 573
so only cause of so much dialogue and thinking.. it can't be animated? that shouldn't be the reason cause if it is, there shouldn't be a real life movie... and also..Ryuuku doesn't have to be cg'ed in a anime. the only thing that may NOT live into the manga is the live action movie but since none of us have seen it , we can't really tell what they plan to do with it.

all that thinking isn't really hard either.. take a look at detective conan..thats a good example when it comes to thinking..sorta >.>

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Yunnie
Mizzou Tiger

Member 728

Level 6.34

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 09:10 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 08:10 PM #9 of 573
Cool... It's great to see there are some Death Note fans on here.
How many volumes of the manga has been released in the North America so far? I haven't seen any in the bookstore here though.

soulsteelgray

Member 451

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 09:22 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 08:22 PM #10 of 573
Originally Posted by chato
so only cause of so much dialogue and thinking.. it can't be animated? that shouldn't be the reason cause if it is, there shouldn't be a real life movie... and also..Ryuuku doesn't have to be cg'ed in a anime. the only thing that may NOT live into the manga is the live action movie but since none of us have seen it , we can't really tell what they plan to do with it.

all that thinking isn't really hard either.. take a look at detective conan..thats a good example when it comes to thinking..sorta >.>
I said the "primary reason," not the "only reason." The slight controversy surrounding the very plot of Death Note itself is probably one of the other reasons.

I actually got quite overwhelmed at the sheer amount of text in Death Note when I first read it. Some of the logic was a bit tough to grasp, too.

Originally Posted by Yunnie
How many volumes of the manga has been released in the North America so far? I haven't seen any in the bookstore here though.
Four, I think.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 09:50 PM #11 of 573
sry. the reply was aimed at outlaw. in any case. is the 4th one out right now? cause i heard people got it already and since i live in new jersey.. i guess we get it a day later >.>..

Outlaw

Member 134

Level 14.63

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:01 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 08:01 PM #12 of 573
Originally Posted by chato

The only reason I brought up if there was an anime, Ryuk and the other shinigami would probaly be CGI, is because, It would probaly cost too much time and money to keep drawing them frame by frame insted of just making them on the computer. If they draw them frame by frame, there is a chance that the animation will become limited as time goes on because of the series budget (that is unless they have a huge budget and/or export it to an off shoot studio in Korea or China). If it's done on a computer, it saves money and the hand drawn animation will roughly stay the same. I mean sure....It would be good to see the shinigami end up not being CG'ed in the anime if and when they do it. But There's just this feeling that that's what would happen if it did ever get turned into an anime.

How ya doing, buddy?
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:15 PM #13 of 573
well you speak the truth but im sure they'll do something to make an anime. and i HOPE the animation isn't the same like in that picture i posted..i dont care if its gonzo and there great work on cg mech .

Manga Chapter 99

Spoiler:
i was very disappointed to see Matt getting killed off so easily by a bunch of Takada GOONS... I only read bits and pieces of the translation from TOWNL but other than that.. i did see this one page where Mello looked all shocked and shit. if that means he died, then that is very fucked up and too damn soon >.>..i hope this doesn't get rush.

How ya doing, buddy?
Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 04:37 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 11:37 AM #14 of 573
I loved Death Note in the beginning, but it's not the type of manga that can go on on the same level for 100 chapters. I liked the first part, the company bit was ok, but after that I got really disappointed with it, since it just seems like they're forcing it to go on. I'd stop while the storyline's still strong.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Nekobo
Axefighter??

Member 835

Level 4.50

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 07:48 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 05:48 PM #15 of 573
Maybe Deathnote would work out as some kind of interactive novel game, like Phoenix Wright, which is awesome on some many different levels. Twist and turns galore. Imagine writing down names in the Deathnote via the DS touch screen. It'd be interesting if someone could pull it off.

FELIPE NO
CuteChocobo
Rurounin Translator

Member 1038

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 01:40 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 02:40 PM #16 of 573
Wow if WB (Warner Bro.) is licensing it, does that mean we will get a live action or a movie about DN soon?

I really wish they can do the anime about the first arc on L and Light's story

UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 05:42 AM #17 of 573
Originally Posted by CuteChocobo
Wow if WB (Warner Bro.) is licensing it, does that mean we will get a live action or a movie about DN soon?

I really wish they can do the anime about the first arc on L and Light's story
Live action movie is in development. The cast is being decided on now I believe.

While I was in Japan, I managed to snab volumes 1-8 for under $20 bucks, and got my host father hooked. It's a pretty good manga, but a lot of my Death Note addict friends are pretty upset over the movie. I think it's an odd idea as well, but maybe the Japanese can make it work.

Most amazing jew boots
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 07:14 AM #18 of 573
if they did a good job with a Initial D and GTO live action movie/series, im sure they can pull this off. Also :

Manga Chapter 99
Spoiler:
it is confirmed that Mello,Matt and Kiyomi Takada are DEAD. I hope they're not rushing things and having chapter 100 be the final one...

Most amazing jew boots
Luckee Cookie
Chocobo

Member 203

Level 11.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 08:52 AM #19 of 573
I'm not enjoying the cast choice for Ratio and L :\ they seem they should be reversed T____T

I hope they act well -__-"

I decided not to read on after the infamous (MAJOR SPOILER)
Spoiler:
DEATH OF OH POOR L WITH LIGHT-KUN STARING RIGHT IN HIS EYES OMFG SO GOOOOOOD!
cuz I just didn't like the story after that :\ it was so... dry for me?

Aya
Merde!!

Member 252

Level 7.53

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 08:58 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 02:58 PM #20 of 573
I thought the manga was awesome in the beginning.. but eventually I became bored with it =/
Especially after
Spoiler:
When Righto gives up DeathNotebook ._. sure it was a smart move, but it became somewhat unintresting after it, I really enjoyed the rival-mind-games L and Righto had

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 09:31 AM #21 of 573
Originally Posted by Luckee Cookie
I'm not enjoying the cast choice for Ratio and L :\ they seem they should be reversed T____T

I hope they act well -__-"
Raito Yagami

that dude fujiwari is shuya from battle royale..thats cool.. but i hope he doesn't look exactly like that as raito (which is obvious)

edit : there is also the infamous teaser for those who haven't seen it yet. doesn't show much but oh well

http://filmphilia.com/3/article/362.html

Here is some more info on the movie

Quote:
An update on the live action adaptation of the popular manga DEATH NOTE from Live Journal group Death Note Apples reveals almost the entire central cast, along with some behind-the-scenes pictures and captures of the trailer which aired.

While the photos can be found on their page, the cast is as follows: Fujiwara Tatsuya (Light), Kaga Takeshi (Souichiro), Mishima Hikari (Sayu), Godai Michiko (Sachiko), Matsuyama Ken'ichi (L), Fujiwara Shunji (Watari), Seto Asaka (Naomi), Hosokawa Shigeki (Raye), Aoyama Souta (Matsuda), Shimizu Shin (Aizawa), Okuda Tatsuhito (Ukita), Nakamura Ikuji (Mogi), Toda Erika (Misa), and Kashii Yuu (Shiori). The voices of Ryuk and Rem are to be announced.

The project is being helmed by Kaneko Shuusuke, with Yamaguchi Kouji as subdirector and Matsue Yoshiki assisting in the directing as well. Takase Hiroshi will be handling the camera.

Also, Hoga Central is reporting that during the production, filming was recently done in the live subway system in Fukuoka city during normal operation hours – the first time in Japan. Fujiwara Tatsuya and Shigeki Hosokawa had to squeeze their 53 scenes during the 4 round-trips of 25 minutes each.
by the way, i found out what the actor looks like for L

soo..any comments on this?

edit: one more edit -.-;;... i found a deviantart site that shows all the faces of actors playing as this and that.

http://chibiasta.deviantart.com/
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~onyabear/dnbios.html

comparing faces....hm
watari looks cool at least lol.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by chato; Mar 4, 2006 at 09:44 AM.
Outlaw

Member 134

Level 14.63

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 02:44 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 12:44 PM #22 of 573
Just wanted to let everyone know if their interested, The offical movie site has been updated. The navigation is hidden all around Light's room....there's also a new trailer there as well (Get it by clicking the TV and then the power button). I have to say that the poster (also on the site) looks cool and that the new trailer is still Ring-ish, but still cool.

Most amazing jew boots
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 02:54 PM #23 of 573
fujisawa as raito isn't so bad at all. but the trailer should've set somewhere in his school. at least the poster looks interesting. only .. he shouldn't be holding that apple >.>

How ya doing, buddy?
soulsteelgray

Member 451

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 02:56 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 01:56 PM #24 of 573

The poster's quite simple. I like it.

The trailer does seem to imply that this is going to be your standard-fare horror movie. It's good, but it just seems to be a bit misleading.

Double Post:
Apparently, Misa's cropped up on the side of a bus.

Last edited by soulsteelgray; Mar 4, 2006 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 06:02 PM #25 of 573
very cute and all..but no blonde hair huh?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Anime] Death Note