Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PSP] Star Ocean (PSP), Star Ocean 2 (PSP), Star Ocean 4 (Multiplatform confirmed. Yay.)

ZeroSlash
HIKARI NE NARE!

Member 1662

Level 12.86

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2007, 10:19 PM #26 of 248
SO2 was one of the best action RPGs on the PS1 and I loved it to death. I've never had a chance to play SO1 but should this get a USA launch I'm really going to have to get a PSP. I just have too many reasons not to get one should this come here.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Xellos
Loyal Einherjar

Member 2068

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2007, 09:16 AM #27 of 248
I love this! Tri-Ace is one of the few developers that have yet to disappoint me entirely. I'm sure that they'll turn out to be decent games, and more importantly, I'll get to play with my Dias again.

I just hope that this time around they make it so that Dias is still superior to Claude in the very end. His skills weren't bad, but it's just that Claude got so many better ones. That always pissed me off, since Dias was clearly the better swordsman.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Soldier: Prepare yourself, rebel scum!!

Arngrim : (These slipshod soldiers think they can call me "rebel scum"?)
Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2007, 03:39 AM Local time: May 16, 2007, 10:39 AM #28 of 248
Dias was awesome. For some reason he always did 9999 damage, even with lower strength than Claude and only the Farwell Blade, while Claude was a few levels higher, had better equipment (Levantine), and he barely did 7000 damage. Dias and his Mirror Slice got me through this game on the highest difficulty, while Claude was only there for support.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Xellos
Loyal Einherjar

Member 2068

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2007, 07:47 AM #29 of 248
Well there was a certain weapon, forgot the name, that doubled dias's strength. It wouldn't say in the description, or the stats screen, but you would see.

Illusion was the best skill he had, since it hit 4 times, but when you looked at Claude's Mirror Slice and Dragon Howl combo, it just paled in comparison. Equip the Eternal Sphere and you'll hit for stupid amounts.

Most amazing jew boots

chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2007, 05:50 PM #30 of 248
There was always something about SO2 that I would never leave around the room collecting dust.

1. Epic Battle saves
2. Playable on the PSP (for emulation that is)
3. Characters (If not all then definately not Noel)

and last but never the least, the OST which IMO is the best work Motoi Sakuraba pulled off before he fell into the world of soft-piano-guitar-crap pieces (good example - Valkyrie Profile 2 and SO3 which was kinda decent but not unforgettable).With these two games being a full remake, does that mean Motoi Sakuraba will redo the tracks again for SO2? And do you think it'll be as good as the original? not

I mean its not like he has anything to prove but his skills have dramatically changed after VP1 and SO2. It's just not the same..

And another thing. All these remakes SE are pulling out of their asses really show that they are running out of ideas @.@. They could've done a full 2d remake on vp1 instead of a port >.>.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by chato; May 16, 2007 at 05:53 PM.
Xellos
Loyal Einherjar

Member 2068

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2007, 07:31 AM #31 of 248
Nah, Valkyrie Profile 1 still had his classic stuff, but I agree that I don't like how he changed his style in SO3 and VP2. You just miss the hard stuff he used to dish out.

Listen to the VP1 OST and then the VP2 OST and you'll so notice. I'm not saying they are bad OSTs, but I for one missed those classics.

FELIPE NO

Vkamicht
Chocobo

Member 431

Level 12.47

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2007, 09:33 AM #32 of 248
I thought his variety of musical styles in SO3 was great and I hope to hear it return in SO4.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2007, 04:29 PM #33 of 248
Wink

Nah, Valkyrie Profile 1 still had his classic stuff, but I agree that I don't like how he changed his style in SO3 and VP2. You just miss the hard stuff he used to dish out.

Listen to the VP1 OST and then the VP2 OST and you'll so notice. I'm not saying they are bad OSTs, but I for one missed those classics.
I know ^^;. It was more dramatic compared to the second game. There is this one track that sounded like VP1's Blameless Thoughts. That and a few familiar tracks saved the game. Which is why I label SO2 and VP1 as the best.

@ Vkamicht - It was a little more of bad than good. SO3's version of Mission to Deep Space (maybe half decent) and Incarnation of the Devil was horrible. If I remember right, it was more piano-bs. I can understand that he wanted to change it around but there are too many games that sound the same and why I got sick of it. Radiata Stories ,Baiten Kaitos and Tales of Symphonia proves this @.@ (Yes I know it was done by him). I hope he can pull it off for SO1,SO2 and SO4.

We all have different tastes , I guess.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Vkamicht
Chocobo

Member 431

Level 12.47

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2007, 05:34 PM #34 of 248
@ Vkamicht - It was a little more of bad than good. SO3's version of Mission to Deep Space (maybe half decent) and Incarnation of the Devil was horrible. If I remember right, it was more piano-bs. I can understand that he wanted to change it around but there are too many games that sound the same and why I got sick of it. Radiata Stories ,Baiten Kaitos and Tales of Symphonia proves this @.@ (Yes I know it was done by him). I hope he can pull it off for SO1,SO2 and SO4.

We all have different tastes , I guess.
Now I'm confused. SO3 doesn't sound like anything else he's done so far. There's a lot of jazz versions of stuff and "experimenting" going on here.

I also don't see where that Radiata Stories/Baten Kaitos/Tales of Symphonia comparison comes from. Noriyuki Iwadare composed Radiata Stories, and Shinji Tamura's style is dominant in the Tales series. Baten Kaitos I and II sound similar but for all we know tri-Crescendo or Monolith or whoever specifically gave him instructions to keep the same style.

And I liked SO3's rendition of Incarnation of Devil... different tastes indeed.

chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2007, 07:34 PM #35 of 248
Now I'm confused. SO3 doesn't sound like anything else he's done so far. There's a lot of jazz versions of stuff and "experimenting" going on here.

I also don't see where that Radiata Stories/Baten Kaitos/Tales of Symphonia comparison comes from. Noriyuki Iwadare composed Radiata Stories, and Shinji Tamura's style is dominant in the Tales series. Baten Kaitos I and II sound similar but for all we know tri-Crescendo or Monolith or whoever specifically gave him instructions to keep the same style.

And I liked SO3's rendition of Incarnation of Devil... different tastes indeed.
Motoi Sakuraba only arranged 3 Star Ocean tracks. My mistake ^^;. According to wikipedia, it says that Tales of Symphonia was worked by him. Can't really be a typo >.o.

Also I never mentioned what i think about the remake of SO1. Well it looks like part 2 but it is only a screenshot so I can be wrong. At least the remade sprite of Radicks is colorful. The battlefield looks just like SO2's expel O.o; Production IG is responsible for the art (From what I heard) and this will be the first time I'm playing it.

PixelatedCows
Wark!

Member 22533

Level 2.97

May 2007

Old May 21, 2007, 08:51 PM #36 of 248
Oh my God. I loved SO2. The idea of playing it again in all of its pixel-3D hybrid glory is great. It'll totally do away with the horrid taste left in my mouth thanks to SO3.

By the way, do you think they'll do away with the dialog boxes now that it's gonna have more voice acting?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Ashton
GET DOWN

Member 2132

Level 14.26

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2007, 12:32 AM #37 of 248
Star Ocean on the piece of shit system that is the PSP makes me fucking cry in such rage

God i want to fucking kill something

Who wants to play on this goddamn thing which has no use outside of one good game and emulation. Seriously have you seen the loading times on this shit? I'd be less pissed if it was on the DS, and then i'd be pissed that they were bringing them to a handheld. Fuck this, only because i'm a rabid drooling mouth-breathing SO fanboy will i even download me sum ISOz and take my friend's (completly unused) psp to play this.

SO ANGRY GHAGHA ARRRRRGH;AGJKLA;GASKLGA

I was speaking idiomatically.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2007, 07:05 AM #38 of 248
Star Ocean on the piece of shit system that is the PSP makes me fucking cry in such rage

God i want to fucking kill something

Who wants to play on this goddamn thing which has no use outside of one good game and emulation. Seriously have you seen the loading times on this shit? Fuck this, only because i'm a rabid drooling mouth-breathing SO fanboy will i even download me sum ISOz and take my friend's (completly unused) psp to play this.

SO ANGRY GHAGHA ARRRRRGH;AGJKLA;GASKLGA

Spoiler:

What's all that rambling? I never had problems with the Loading times for the psp. Name a few games (besides Y's AoN) that had bad loading times. I have about 17 games and they work just fine. The PSP system is getting what it deserves. Despite the fact that Square Enix have run out of any ideas in their lazy minds , they are willing to give the psp some kind of eye candy. And that's some fucking eye candy that I wanna see and play >=].

Quote:
I'd be less pissed if it was on the DS, and then i'd be pissed that they were bringing them to a handheld.
That is why SE was wise enough to not remake them for the DS. Look at the pixel-fest that is FF3 (though it was still a good game since I never played the original). AND why the Psp is now 169 and not 250 bucks when it first launched .

Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Jun 10, 2007, 05:51 AM #39 of 248
I can't believe I missed this. Star Ocean 1 being remade is awesome but I'm going to cry if it doesn't wind up coming out of Japan. A lot of the good looking PSP games (some of them ports, sure...) keep getting left in Japan and it's pissing me off.

Heck, if this game comes stateside I will finally have all the push I need to pick up a PSP. FFT, Dracula X Chronicles, Wild Arms Crossfire, and now Star Ocean? Fuck yes. Not to mention a few games I saw before that I'd probably pick up too (Valkyrie Profile of course and the MMX remake to say the least).

On a sidenote, I've fooled around with my friend's PSP and never really noticed terrible loadtimes on the majority of the games she owns, and "one" worthwhile game is definitely a bit of a stretch, but before this year I didn't see many that caught my interest, either.

FELIPE NO
Xaekid
Generic Ninja

Member 9982

Level 7.89

Jul 2006

Old Jun 10, 2007, 08:51 AM Local time: Jun 10, 2007, 07:51 AM #40 of 248
I'm going to cry if it doesn't wind up coming out of Japan.
Seconded.

The War of the Lions
Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Jun 10, 2007, 10:20 AM #41 of 248
Whoop, I got a PSP so if SO2 comes out here, I'll be snatching it up. I might as well get the first game too while I'm at it, but is playing the first game a must to understand the second, or are they completely unrelated games like the FF series?

Things are definitely shaping up for the PSP. I would never have gotten it if it weren't for SO2 (please bring it here!), Tales of the World and Crisis Core coming out, along with existing games I've discovered that I want to play. I have three games already and haven't experienced any terribly long load times.

P.S. Is that Dracula X coming to NA too? If so, that's another game I want to get.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Freelance; Jun 10, 2007 at 11:24 AM.
Sepharite
The Source

Member 328

Level 29.80

Mar 2006

Old Jun 10, 2007, 11:22 AM #42 of 248
Congrats on getting a PSP. Google "3.40 OE" >.>

I'm pretty sure Star Ocean 1 has little connection to its sequel. I played SO2 without it and it's pretty much stands alone -- I don't remember any plot holes. There'll obviously be some plot references but nothing more, I think.

How ya doing, buddy?

Want obscure Classical Music CDs? Search: http://www.lib.uwo.ca/ PM me the code, I'll rip it for ya [MAX 2 CDS/User]
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Jun 10, 2007, 01:38 PM #43 of 248
The games connect directly but the plot of Star Ocean 2 litterally has nothing to do with the first game.

Basically, this is every connection right here-; The intro talks about the dark entity the heroes defeated in the first game then it opens up with one of Ratix's (hero of star ocean 1) companions Ronixis, who is the father of Claude (the main character of SO2). Iria (also from the first game) is Claude's mother and you never see her but you see Ronixis one more time after the opening events much further in the game.

... That's all the connection right there.

And yeah, Dracula X Chronicles is'a comin in October to America.

Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Jun 10, 2007, 02:37 PM #44 of 248
Hey cool, thanks for the help, you two. The only SO game I've played is the third one, and that was horrible, but a friend of mine's fave game is SO2, so she better not disappoint me.

I can't exactly check websites right now, but is Dracula X a brand new Castlevania game, or is it a compliation title? I've never played SoTN and I've heard nothing but greatness for it from fans. I'm hoping it'd get reissued sometime.

How ya doing, buddy?
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Jun 10, 2007, 07:12 PM Local time: Jun 10, 2007, 07:12 PM #45 of 248
Dracula X: Rondo of Blood is an older Castlevania that was never released in the US, but that's about all I know.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Jun 10, 2007, 07:29 PM #46 of 248
It's a remake of Rondo of Blood compiled together with the original Rondo and SoTN. They are also redoing the voice acting and dialogue in SOTN if they have space/time, though I personally loved the way it was for it's camp factor.

Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old Jun 10, 2007, 08:11 PM Local time: Jun 10, 2007, 07:11 PM #47 of 248
I also heard they might be adding in the Saturn-only extras to Symphony. There was an additional section to the castle, and Richter and Maria were playable from the start.

I kind of wonder if there might be more connections between Star Ocean 1 and 2 added in these remakes. SO2 is going to be heavily rewritten to make it "fresh", so it's not unbelievable that there might be more cameos or intertwined plot elements added in.

FELIPE NO
Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Jun 10, 2007, 08:43 PM #48 of 248
Wow awesome. Three games in one, including SoTN. It's definitely a must-buy for me now. Okay, actually two games in one, if you want to be technical.

I forgot that SO2's going to have things changed. That gives me a reason to play SO first.

nanstey
CONSTANT VIGILANCE!!!

Member 902

Level 10.66

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2007, 08:18 PM Local time: Jun 15, 2007, 08:18 PM #49 of 248
I'm revved for all these games, Castlevania and Star Ocean. I just hope they do the voices over on 2, and get good ones for all the new ones...

How ya doing, buddy?
That which is, is. Sink or swim. - Wiliiam Shakespeare. There is no ignorange, there is knowledge. - From the Code of the Jedi
Kuhazan
Chocobo

Member 2170

Level 11.38

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2007, 02:58 PM #50 of 248
If the 4th is released for Xbox 360, Wii or PS2 I'll be interested... a PS3 release will kill my interest until the system is about ready to die... not spending $600 on so few features I actually give a crap about... not to mention there are too few games on it worth buying it for...

And there were a few plot holes in Star Ocean 2... but they were addressed in Till the end of Time... so it's not an issue... also I'm suprised to hear the amount of people that didn't get through the 3rd title... the AI was quite alright...

Last edited by Kuhazan; Jun 29, 2007 at 03:07 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PSP] Star Ocean (PSP), Star Ocean 2 (PSP), Star Ocean 4 (Multiplatform confirmed. Yay.)