Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PSP] Star Ocean (PSP), Star Ocean 2 (PSP), Star Ocean 4 (Multiplatform confirmed. Yay.)

Vkamicht
Chocobo

Member 431

Level 12.47

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 09:05 AM #1 of 248
Star Ocean (PSP), Star Ocean 2 (PSP), Star Ocean 4 (Multiplatform confirmed. Yay.)

Really have nothing else to name this thread, wanted to keep it informative. So if you haven't heard, the original announcement was "Square-Enix will be announcing a new Star Ocean title soon."

Apparently not just one, but three.

http://www.jeux-france.com/Webmaster...0650_2_big.jpg
http://www.jeux-france.com/Webmaster...0648_0_big.jpg
http://www.jeux-france.com/Webmaster...0649_1_big.jpg

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/...70510/sqex.htm
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/200...71447,0,0.html

As someone who really liked SO1, I'm ecstatic to see it remade. I didn't care for SO2's graphics so I'm kind of disappointed to see that the new SO1 is adopting them in spades. Also the character redesigns are funky. Oh well. Shame that I don't have a PSP either.

As posted by Kouli at GameFAQs:
- New Character Designer for First Departure and Second Evolution
- Production IG handles the animation apsects of the two remakes and of course there will be new ones
- Platform for SO4 is still undecided
- First Departure is a FULL REMAKE. First Departure will combine both 2D and 3D graphics, along with added scenario. The producer emphasized on calling a new game
- Second Evolution will have NEW characters, and fully voiced
- Seiyuu, theme song and artist for the two remakes are planned to be revealed in the party

Let's discuss.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Vkamicht; May 10, 2007 at 05:35 PM.
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 09:36 AM Local time: May 10, 2007, 07:36 AM #2 of 248
Well, I guess If I had a PSP I'd be more excited. The only real interesting part is that Star Ocean 1 will finally get a proper stateside release.

Maybe they can rework the voice acting for Star Ocean 2, make certain character's voices less ear-raping.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Black Mage
Nothing beats a Sunny Day!

Member 264

Level 10.71

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 09:41 AM #3 of 248
Definitely good news to me. I loved both 1 and 2, and if they get a release abroad, even better.

Still, I'd have loved to know what console is getting SO4.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 09:51 AM Local time: May 11, 2007, 12:51 AM #4 of 248
Wow, that character art looks like something out of a stinky kids anime about having to collect all ten thousand soul angst cards to summon the spirit of a monster that will go out of control and require more card collecting and at least eighty episodes to bring forth another monster to tackle it, avaliable now in all good toy stores, batteries not included. But I loved Star Ocean 2 so thumbs up from me! Never played the original, I suppose this'll be a nice way of doing so.

Most amazing jew boots
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 10:58 AM #5 of 248
Interesting that Star Ocean 1 is finally (probably) getting an international release, and also that Squeenix's recent remake fever also extends to Enix titles. I would have thought that a straight port of SO1 to the GBA a la Tales of Phantasia would have been more likely, but it seems we've seen the last of those (which is too bad).

As for the series itself, I was really excited about SO1 back when it was an un-emulatable mystery title. Once the community finally cracked the graphics encryption and issued a translation, my interest fell. I was hoping for a sci-fi RPG with spaceships and lasers and whatnot, but each of the three games has gone out of its way to maroon you in a medieval society.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 02:53 PM #6 of 248
Good...This is a series that can definitely use the added exposure. I'd like it if the SO1 remake wasn't PSP, but at least the blasted thing will finally come out (I figured it for a lost cause).

I didn't like SO3 at all (I stopped after 10 hours because of the annoying map structure, lame characters and the battles were horrible...They stripped it down to 3 characters and made CPU-controlled allies far stoopider than even SO2. I'd be lying if I said the battle music wasn't a factor, but I grew really tired of it quickly. "Stab the Sword of Justice", it definitely wasn't), so I'm hoping SO4 can recapture some of the magic that makes SO2 one of my all-time favorite RPG experiences. Of course, I'm unwilling to go for a PS3 to find out, so it better be on PS2...

One minor thing: I guess we're not getting Blue Sphere (the Star Ocean GBC game) anytime soon.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 04:40 PM Local time: May 10, 2007, 03:40 PM #7 of 248
While I love Star Ocean 2 to death, I'm willing to bet SE will outsource these ports to TOSE again and we'll end up with complete and utter shit ports. A shame they don't care enough about these properties to do any real quality control.

FELIPE NO
Vkamicht
Chocobo

Member 431

Level 12.47

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 05:37 PM #8 of 248
While I love Star Ocean 2 to death, I'm willing to bet SE will outsource these ports to TOSE again and we'll end up with complete and utter shit ports. A shame they don't care enough about these properties to do any real quality control.
It was apparently made note that Star Ocean: First Departure is a COMPLETE remake. Not a port. Given that it looks incredibly similar to SO2 now, I'm assuming if the engine was remade from scratch it will turn out to be very decent, AND SO2 would most likely use this new engine instead of a shoddy port.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 06:21 PM Local time: May 10, 2007, 05:21 PM #9 of 248
Wow, this is good news. The PSP keeps looking more attractive to me with the new games coming out for it.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
CuteChocobo
Rurounin Translator

Member 1038

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 07:29 PM Local time: May 11, 2007, 08:29 AM #10 of 248
*sigh* only IF I had a PSP... and/or some money...

But definitely looking forward to later news.

What do they mean my "tentative title"?

Shonos
Tooken.

Member 438

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 08:07 PM Local time: May 10, 2007, 06:07 PM #11 of 248
I dont know, I see this as a bit pointless. If you want to play SO2 on your PSP you can just play the PSX version of it on there. Whether you do it through illegal or legal means, you can play SO2 right now on your PSP.

So why buy a port when I can play it for free or buy it through Sony to play it on my PSP?

The only positive I see is the fact SO1 is being re-made and released.

As for SO4, hope they have a good storyline ready because after the disgrace of SO3 the whole Star Ocean universe and plot was destroyed.

How ya doing, buddy?
Stuff goes here~
Zefier
Breaktime

Member 7533

Level 14.42

May 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 08:31 PM #12 of 248
Wow, this is good news. The PSP keeps looking more attractive to me with the new games coming out for it.
You see, the problem with that is few of them come out in the US or Europe (if I'm not mistaken, some of these RPGs came out for Europe but not for the US). So while it is attractive, it's really only so in Japan.

Of course, if you import them, that's another matter.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Vkamicht
Chocobo

Member 431

Level 12.47

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 08:38 PM #13 of 248
I dont know, I see this as a bit pointless. If you want to play SO2 on your PSP you can just play the PSX version of it on there. Whether you do it through illegal or legal means, you can play SO2 right now on your PSP.

So why buy a port when I can play it for free or buy it through Sony to play it on my PSP?
As it's been said, it's more than just a port. Check the first post (edited) for some of the announced features. Fully voice acted, new characters, new designs... I bet they'll touch up a lot of the game's problems too (balance?)

Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 09:21 PM Local time: May 10, 2007, 07:21 PM #14 of 248
Star Ocean 2 for the PSP better have Ernest OUT. Fuck, worst character in-game.

Either way, a PSP port sounds good to me. Now if they only have a Thousand Arms and a Lunar 2 for the PSP..

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 10:02 PM Local time: May 10, 2007, 08:02 PM #15 of 248

The only positive I see is the fact SO1 is being re-made and released.

As for SO4, hope they have a good storyline ready because after the disgrace of SO3 the whole Star Ocean universe and plot was destroyed.

Yeah why pay for anything when you can get it for free? Just go to the store and take whatever you need.

*sigh* First Valkyrie Profile and now this oh and SOTN. And I hear PSP is pretty good at emulation...perhaps I should get one...

FELIPE NO
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 10:25 PM Local time: May 10, 2007, 09:25 PM #16 of 248
Yeah why pay for anything when you can get it for free? Just go to the store and take whatever you need.
Morals? In my Gamingforce? You don't say!

Quote:
emulation

Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2007, 01:19 AM Local time: May 11, 2007, 12:19 AM #17 of 248

The dim hope that they'll actually translate the game this time, instead of giving us a script that only vaguely resembles English? And maybe some real voice acting this time? I'd pay for that.

The Star Ocean 2 they're referring to here doesn't look like the PS1 game, though. I think it's a brand-new spinoff from the first game.

Shonos
Tooken.

Member 438

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2007, 01:20 AM Local time: May 10, 2007, 11:20 PM #18 of 248

*sigh* First Valkyrie Profile and now this oh and SOTN. And I hear PSP is pretty good at emulation...perhaps I should get one...
If you're so against the illegal side of things go buy SO2 through Sony and play it on your PSP.

Or if you own SO2 on the PSX already, copy it and convert it to a popstation file.

Both legal and let you play SO2 right now on the PSP.

Quote:
As it's been said, it's more than just a port. Check the first post (edited) for some of the announced features. Fully voice acted, new characters, new designs... I bet they'll touch up a lot of the game's problems too (balance?)
I'm talking about SO2, not SO1. From what I've read they're just porting SO2 and adding a few things to it. I dont think that is enough to warrant buying SO2 again. Especially when I can already play my current copy on my PSP already.

EDIT: Okay, if it has a better translation then I'm interested. Especially for the voice acting. But I'm not holding my breath.

Stuff goes here~
Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2007, 05:29 AM Local time: May 11, 2007, 12:29 PM #19 of 248
The character shown on the screens looks creepy like hell to be honest. A new SO game would be interesting, if they'd only give it a decent story, since the games have never been great on creating a Sci-Fi RPG. I'm curious what platform they'll release it on, hoping for a DS game in vain, and betting on the PS3 here.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
nanstey
CONSTANT VIGILANCE!!!

Member 902

Level 10.66

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2007, 09:26 AM Local time: May 11, 2007, 09:26 AM #20 of 248
I think it's great to see this. I have Star Ocean in emulated format, and Star Oceans 2 and 3, but I'm all for some good remakes, and Star Ocean 4. I do wonder how they'll handle everything though - the plot of the last one sure made the galaxy an interesting, unstable place...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
That which is, is. Sink or swim. - Wiliiam Shakespeare. There is no ignorange, there is knowledge. - From the Code of the Jedi
Zuare
Chocobo

Member 392

Level 9.00

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2007, 12:50 PM Local time: May 13, 2007, 05:50 PM #21 of 248
It sounds like a lot more than just a port:

Quote:
The developers are taking their time and effort in making the PSP Star Oceans more than just simple remakes. In a statement, series producer Yoshinori Yamagishi said that he wants the remake to feel as though they're completely new games. Apparently, he's not just saying that. The voice actors revealed that, despite the games' lengthy scripts, they still haven't started recording yet. As it turns out, the scripts aren't yet finished, due to the addition of extensive new scenarios and characters.
Link

Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2007, 07:48 AM Local time: May 14, 2007, 06:48 AM #22 of 248
Huh. That is Star Ocean 2, with a brand new subtitle. Should be interesting to see what they do with the remake, since apparently the intent is to make both entries feel like "completely new games". This is unquestionably a good thing for us; it means that if they port the new SO2 here, they'd have no choice but to do a new translation with new voice acting.

Maybe they'll give Ernest a reason to exist beyond pickpocketing those two Battle Suits off him while they're at it.

In any event, here's hoping Squeenix actually ports these two remakes to the US, 'cause I think they have my money now. The original Star Ocean's battle system was not a whole lot of fun, to the point that I never bothered trying to complete it, so I'd love to give that a shot as well.

SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2007, 12:00 PM #23 of 248
Confirmed for US release PR (released after the one this morning announcing DQ:J, DQS, FFXII RW, FFT PSP for US).

Quote:
Line Up The STAR OCEAN(R) Series

With over 2.5 million units shipped worldwide and a sterling reputation among gamers, the STAR OCEAN brand has come to be identified with its uniquely amalgamated sci-fi and fantasy universe created in collaboration with tri-Ace.

STAR OCEAN 1: First Departure Platform: PSP(R) (PlayStation(R)Portable) system Genre: RPG Release Date: TBA

Initially released toward the end of the Super Famicom's life cycle, and never before localized for North America, the origin of the STAR OCEAN series receives a total makeover for the PSP system. Additional scenarios and characters, integrated 2D and 3D graphics in the style of the PS one(TM) game console hit STAR OCEAN 2, fully animated movies, and other bonus features transform the game into a completely new experience.

STAR OCEAN 2: Second Evolution Platform: PSP system Genre: RPG Release Date: TBA

Set 20 years after the events of its predecessor, STAR OCEAN 2 also receives the full remake treatment aboard the PSP system. The title takes the next step with fully animated movies, all-new character designs, extra playable characters, fully voiced dialogue, and more.
I'm pretty stoked that all the FF/DQ titles got formally announced for the US, and this was the icing on the cake, especially since I never got around to playing the fan translation of SO1.

Most amazing jew boots
Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2007, 12:59 PM #24 of 248
Just like some other people here, it's too bad I don't have a PSP. One of my online friends loves SO2 to death, so I'd like to play it someday and see what the fuss is about. I can't find this game anywhere. She assures me it's way better than SO3, a game I had the misfortune to play.

Last edited by Freelance; May 14, 2007 at 01:05 PM.
Malahk Angel
Hooray Beer!

Member 9195

Level 8.84

Jun 2006

Old May 14, 2007, 01:35 PM #25 of 248
I'm quite excited about this news. I loved the first 2 games, and as a PSP owner, I'll be able to revel in their awesomeness . As for SO4, I pray they fix the things that made SO3 such a piss poor entry into the series. I could never finish the damn game because my party members kept skilling themselves into oblivion.

If there is evil in this world, it lies within the hearts of mankind.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PSP] Star Ocean (PSP), Star Ocean 2 (PSP), Star Ocean 4 (Multiplatform confirmed. Yay.)