Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] Anime and Manga Recommendations

elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:43 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 07:43 PM #1 of 87
Anime and Manga Recommendations

Egh, links are all wonked up. I'll get those fixed in a bit D:
Please read the guidelines before recommending a title. Feel free to write a review for titles that already have a review and or thread. Also, feel free to review shows that aren't that spectacular, even though I do realize this is a recommendations thread. You might change some minds.

The recommendations are indexed according to type. If you wish to search for a genre, use the search feature for this thread. Numbers in parentheses do no indicate sequels, but multiple reviews. Also, I have only indexed full reviews, but if you look around, you'll probably run into short suggestions and followups to reviews. Obviously, you can do a search for these shorter tidbits. Happy browsing!

Updates:
-6.1.08: Updated Index
-3.19.06: Added new suggestions concerning images and alternate titles (See here)

Recommendations

Anime Series
.Hack//SIGN
Air
Azumanga Daioh
Bleach (2)
Eureka Seven
FullMetal Alchemist (Hagane no Renkijutsi)
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
Gungrave
Hachimitsu to Clover (Honey and Clover)
Hagane no Renkijutsi (FullMetal Alchemist)
Honey and Clover (Hachimitsu to Clover) Iron Wok Jan!
Juuni Kokki (Twelve Kingdoms) (2)
Love Hina
MAISON IKKOKU
Marmalade Boy
Monster
NANA (2)
Naruto
Noein - To Your Other Self
The One Being Sung (Utawarerumono)
Ouran High School Host Club (2)
Saiunkoku Monogatari
Seirei no Moribito
Tenkuu no Escaflowne (The Vision of Escaflowne)
Those Who Hunt Elves
Tsubasa Chronicle
Twelve Kingdoms (Juuni Kokki) (2)
Utawarerumono (The One Being Sung)
The Vision of Escaflowne (Tenkuu no Escaflowne)
Witch Hunter Robin
Wolf's Rain
Yakitate!! Japan

OVA
Golden Boy
Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal, Reflections (Seisouhen)

Movies
X

Manga
Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun
Eden (It's an Endless World!)
Love Roma
Now
Petshop of Horrors

Other Related Threads
Anime/Manga Series About or Related to Music
The Games-To-Anime Database

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by elwe; Jun 6, 2008 at 03:13 PM.
Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 09:29 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 06:29 PM #2 of 87
Just like the old thread, the first post should provide links to posts for each anime series recommended.

Juuni Kokki (Twelve Kingdoms) Anime

When I saw the early episodes, I was instantly reminded of Fushigi Yuugi. Just like the latter, a high school girl is taken to an alternate world where she plays an important role. The viewer is able to learn more about each of the kingdoms as well, so it's slightly more complex. I actually found the story in Junni Kokki more interesting than Fushigi Yuugi because nothing seems out of place. There isn't as much emphasis on romance either, and the heroine experiences interesting character development. The pace of the story felt just right as well, and the main character was more tolerable than Miaka from Fushigi Yuugi. The music is also very well done.

I'd highly recommend this one to those who enjoy fantasy anime.

How ya doing, buddy?
elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 09:44 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 09:44 PM #3 of 87
I guess I'll throw in my review for Honey and Clover!

Honey and Clover
Type: Anime
Genre: Comedy, Light Romance, Character
Length 24 episodes + some special episodes; there is also a sequel and a live action movie
Setting: Modern

(Click HERE for a review from ANN.)

Honey and Clover is one of the best series I've ever seen. In fact, it's my absolute favorite. If you do actually decide to watch this, don't let the opening bother you too much. The anime starts with introducing a group of college students going about their daily lives. One day, a new, although very childish-looking, girl named Hagu appears and changes the lives of many of the characters. The series then goes on to focus on those characters, as well as one of the professors at the school, and their journey through life. As this is more of a "character" anime, there really isn't a main, central conflict in the story, excluding the relationships between characters. Throughout the episodes, seemingly small challenges arise which help to reveal more about a character or bring about a new development. If I were to explain what this anime was about, I'd have to say, envy, fear, unrequited love, and never-ending friendships.

While the series focuses a lot on character, it doesn't get boring. I was pleasantly surprised at the tasteful blend of various elements. The funny scenes are charming and hilarious. The sad scenes are touching and beautifully played out. The number of memorable scenes that can be found in this anime is pretty impressive. There's something special about Honey and Clover that seems to touch a tender string in the viewer's heart and connect them to the characters, and this is done without excessive cheesiness and lesson-teaching techniques, which really adds more realism to the whole story. In fact, it is likely that the viewers are able to connect and identify with the characters and events.

The art and music in the series are wonderful. The watercolor-ish art compliments the story and adds a very nice tone to it, while the music really helps bring out the essence of the anime. Insert songs are frequently, but very cleverly, used in most of the episodes, making the viewing experience even more enjoyable. (The best example of this can be seen in episode 15 ) I was actually about to turn the first episode off during an insert song when I thought it was the ending theme. Don't make that mistake!

Anyways, I highly recommend this anime! This here is simply a work of art; there no are words that can sufficiently describe its greatness. Surreal visuals, excellent music, and realistic, human characters all combine flawlessly to create a masterpiece. Maybe give it a couple episodes if it doesn't interest you right away. I, myself, was surprised at how much I liked this series, especially since I'm more of an "action person" who loves sword fights.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by elwe; Jul 12, 2006 at 04:55 PM.
elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 03:54 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 03:54 PM #4 of 87
I'm moving the guidelines over to this post in order to keep the index clean.

Guidelines

Mandatory Items to be Included:
-Provide the full title for the anime or manga
-Is it an anime series? A manga? An OAV or movie? Please make sure you clearly state what it is.
-Please provide which genre (comedy, action, etc) it falls under. If it fits in more than one category, feel free to list them all.
-You must somehow mention what the anime, movie, OAV, or manga is about. Avoid spoiling the plot for others, and use spoiler tags when appropriate. Also, try not to copy-paste summaries from other sites.
-As this is a recommendation thread, please voice your thoughts!

Helpful Things You May Want to Provide:
-Length of the series
-A non-spoiler screenshot or two
....Try not to stretch tables
....2000x2000, 98324kb images really aren't necessary
....For larger images, please either resize or use thumbnails
-Music Composer
-Rating/Score
-Setting (modern-day city, a cloud, etc.)
-Alternate Titles (i.e. Honey and Clover/Hachimitsu to Clover)
Please please please please please please please thumbnail gianormous images! As to what qualifies as gianormous, please use proper judgement. If you wish, you may put multiple images in spoiler tags if you happen to have a lot, as this means less scrolling to get to the next post. Thank you much.

That's about it! Remember to try and add some substance to your post! Posts containing only, "I agree!," or, "I love (Insert Title Here)" won't be tolerated. Questions concerning certain series should be put into the General Questions thread or the appropriate thread for the series, if one already exists.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by elwe; Jun 6, 2008 at 02:56 PM.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 04:46 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 04:46 PM #5 of 87
Originally Posted by Rydia
Just like the old thread, the first post should provide links to posts for each anime series recommended.

Juuni Kokki (Twelve Kingdoms) Anime

When I saw the early episodes, I was instantly reminded of Fushigi Yuugi. Just like the latter, a high school girl is taken to an alternate world where she plays an important role. The viewer is able to learn more about each of the kingdoms as well, so it's slightly more complex. I actually found the story in Junni Kokki more interesting than Fushigi Yuugi because nothing seems out of place. There isn't as much emphasis on romance either, and the heroine experiences interesting character development. The pace of the story felt just right as well, and the main character was more tolerable than Miaka from Fushigi Yuugi. The music is also very well done.

I'd highly recommend this one to those who enjoy fantasy anime.
RYDIA! I love you, seriously. >___>;; I didn't think anyone on these forums had seen Twelve Kingdoms other than I, and I'm glad someone else have.

I've never seen Fushigi Yuugi, though I have heard about the similarities between it and Twelve Kingdoms. But you know what? WHO CARES.

The Twelve Kingdoms is a spectacular anime! I'll go down the list of what this anime does right.

Animation: Spectacular. It's not Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, but the animation is very sharp and very artisitic. From the pan-outs to the close-ups, everything is very well-drawn and up-to-date. The action squences are as fun to watch as gazing over the kingdom from atop a castle. Fabulous.

Sound & Voices: The music has an ancient Chinese appeal to it which sets a nice, atmospheric tone. It's probably not memorable enough to say "Hey, I have that song on a CD!" but it's appropriate with a hint of ambience. The voice actors are all top-notch too, with a lot of easily recognizable voices; Kenshin and Kaoru's VAs are present, as are Spike, Jet, and Faye from Cowboy Bebop. Forgive my lack of knowing their names. :/ Anyway, they're all really, really well done. You Japanese audiophiles shouldn't have any problem listening to the English dub.

Story: Oh, the story's the best part. Sure the animation's nice, the voices are well done and the music is good, but the story is everything. If I have to say one bad thing about the series, it's that it ends a little offbeat compared to the pace of the series, but what a ride you'll have getting there. All in all, there are close to, if not more than, 100 terms you'll learn for the series, such as sen-nin, Taiki, Taiho, Nyosen, Nyokai, Shitsudou, Shirei, etc. Not to mention that, when the anime refers to Japan, they call it two other names as well -- Hourai and Wa. And you get to Japan through a Shoku...see what I mean? Fear not, since you'll actually understand them through the course of the series. You don't have to study it.

It's a very deep, enthralling anime that reels you in and takes you one of the best story-telling adventures you'll ever watch. As far as I'm concerned, no other anime has pulled me in so deeply for ALL of 45 episodes than Twelve Kingdoms has. Every episode leaves you wanting more and it's hard to refuse. You'll find yourself having watched 4 or 5 hours of it without even knowing.

Twelve Kingdoms (Juuni Kokki): 12/10. Fucking fantastic.

Edit: I just wanted to add that Twelve Kingdoms falls under a few different categories throughout its course -- you'll find action, drama, suspense, and bits of comedy mixed in. It's a 45-episode length anime series with no current plans to make a movie. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a manga associated with it though.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge

Last edited by SouthJag; Mar 12, 2006 at 05:02 PM.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:48 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 10:48 PM #6 of 87
Those Who Hunt Elves
Genre: Comedy, Fantasy, Adventure
Year: 1996
Length 12 episodes
Setting: Alternate Fantasy World

Those Who Hunt Elves is your typical fantasy story about a group of people trapped in a fantasy world full of fantasy elements...sort of. Okay, not really.

Airi, an award-winning actress, Junpei, a martial artist, and Ritsuko, a gun-obsessed high school student (who is transported along with her tank), are transported from Japan to a magical world, full of elves and...magic. Celcia, the leader of the elves, attempts a magic spell to try and get the trio back home, but it somehow gets messed up, resulting in the spell being broken into five fragments. The problem is, these fragments are scattered throughout the world. Even worse, they are imprinted onto the bodies of random elves. The only way to find the fragments is to strip every elf they can find naked!

This show works on all levels, as a comedy, an adventure, and a fantasy story. The show is full of jokes and other funny elements, though the english dub changes some of the jokes. Even so, it still manages to be as funny (and sometimes funnier) as the original Japanese version.

The animation was about average for its time, and still holds up today. There's nothing spectacular about it, but it's not bad either. The same could be said about Hideki Tsutsumi's soundtrack for the show. It fits the show, but it's nothing you're probably gonna remember too much after the show. The exception is the opening theme song, "Angel Blue", by Naoko Hamasaki. I found myself listening to this song a lot, and playing it in my mind when I wasn't actually listening to it. Sometimes I skip theme songs just to get to the show faster, but this was a show where I didn't do that.

But overall, the main draw here is the story. Though it has a few flaws, it's pretty good for the most part. The fantasy elemets are incorporated into the story very well, as are the adventure elements. If you want a comedy with more meat to it than just being funny, then Those Who Hunt Elves is the show for you. 7/10

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
alkaline
Run Home Slow

Member 1696

Level 8.00

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 11:48 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 08:48 PM #7 of 87
Eureka Seven
Genre: Mecha, Science Fiction, Drama
Length: 30 Episodes+
Setting: Alternate-Future
Torrents: http://www.nanashi-fansubs.com/

Summary: Renton Thurston is a 14-year-old boy who lived with his mechanic grandfather in a backwater town. Every day he dreamed of being with the mercenary "Light Finding Operation (LFO)" aircraft pilot group "Gekkostate" and riding "Trapar" particle waves-- a sport called "reffing"-- with their charismatic leader Holland, especially when faced with his father's acclaimed past or his grandfather's desire to protect him.

When a young girl named Eureka riding the original LFO, the "Nirvash typeZERO", asks his grandfather for a tune-up, she inadvertently brings the attention of the military to the garage; as a result, the garage is destroyed and Renton is forced to deliver a new type of interface-- the "Amita Drive"-- to the Nirvash. After a heated fight in which the Nirvash destroys the military LFOs by unleashing an immense amount of power, Renton is invited into Gekkostate. However, he quickly realizes that behind the facade of a traveling group of mercenaries is a very bitter reality.

=======

I'm actually in the middle of watching this myself, but I'm already pretty well addicted and can see this as one of my favorite Animes in a long, long while. The constant back and forth drama between Renton learning about his place in the world and the world trying to assert Renton's place is really well done.

The dream sequences littered around the series, however, give me bad flashbacks of Evangelion, but Eureka Seven doesn't force you to assume much. If you start to get lost, chances are theres a reveal showing up soon that's going to knock you back on track. And aside from the first episodes of a new season, there's very little filler.

If you liked Evangelion, or are currently plowing through Gundam Seed, give Eureka a shot. It's fantastic in every way imaginable (Animation, style, character development, awesome music) and it keeps getting better.

Rating: 9/10

FELIPE NO

aku
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 164

Level 20.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:21 AM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 12:21 AM #8 of 87
Wolf's Rain
Genre: Science Fiction, Drama
Length: 30
Setting: Alternate

Wolf's Rain, By far one of the best series i have ever had the prillage to see. The art, the music, the story, are all A material.
Plot Summary: In some distant future, it's common knowledge that all wolves have been extinct for 200 years. However, it seems this is false as wolves have not disappeared but rather have taken human form. Kiba, a lone wolf, wanders into a city, trying to sniff out the Lunar Flowers that are supposed to lead whoever follows the scent to paradise. The source of the smell is Cheza, a girl who sleeps in what appears to be suspended animation in a lab. She and the wolves are drawn to each other, and Kiba hopes to find paradise once he finds the source of the scent of Lunar Flowers. However, once Kiba finds Cheza, she is kidnapped by a mysterious person called Darcia, and his search begins anew. Before he leaves the city, he meets 3 other wolves, Tsume, Hige and Toboe. All four wolves have very different personalities and ideas, and their friendliness towards each other is a little rough around the edges. However, they soon band together to continue to search for paradise.

Music - Yoko Kanno - some her BEST WORK for sure!
OST 1
OST 2
ART!
The charators all have their own personalitys, and have great designs!

Kiba - Leader of the pack, the one who seeks Paradise

Tsume - The tough guy, he is more than he seems on the outside

Hige - The fat one

Toboe - The shy one

Cheza - The Key to Paradise

Quent - The hunter, vowed to destroy every wolf that still exists

Hubb and Cher - The Lovers, the detective and scientis respectivly, Cher was researching Cheza for Lord Oarkum
You can Download the series, dual audio Here
Rating 9.5/10

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 07:49 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 06:49 PM #9 of 87
Gungrave
Genre: Action, Drama
Year: 2003-2004
Length 26 episodes
Setting: Modern

Gungrave is one of the best video game based anime series out there, if not the best. It manages to not only adapt the story of the game in a greater way, but also manages to expand on it in a way that makes it even more superior than the game. This ultimately makes the series great regardless of whether or not you've played the game.

Gungrave is the story of Brandon Heat. When the series starts off, he's the quiet, tough guy of a group of friends. Among this group is his best friend, Harry McDowell. They're basically just a group of thugs, getting into to fights and scrounging on what little to have to get by. However, after getting mixed up with some of the wrong people, everyone except Brandon and Harry wind up dead. Also winding up dead is the father of the girl that Brandon loves, Maria. After these events, they all get involved with the mafia organization Millennion. Maria is involved because the leader of the organization was friends with her father, so he takes her in. Harry joins in attempt to gain power, and Brandon joins at first to follow Harry, but stays because of Maria. This is what starts a story of friendship, love, and ultimately, revenge.

Though that last paragraph gives you a general idea of how the series starts, it in no way tells you all the exciting things that happen within the entire run of the series. The story takes many twists and turns, and most of those are tragic. This is at heart a dark story, and as such is full of violence among other dark themes. But violence is not the focus of the series, but rather a way of enhancing the main draw of the story, the character relationships.

The animation in the show is superb for what it is, a TV series. The action scenes are stylistic, and everything just flows fluidly as well. The colors are bright while still being dark enough to keep with the dark mood of the show. And while the show employs the use of CG, it fits in pretty well with the rest of the animation, and isn't that intruding.

Tsuneo Imahori's soundtrack for the series is excellent. A few sentences can't describe its greatness, as it deserves its own review itself. But to sum it up, from the smooth, jazzy feel of the opening, "Family", to everything else in the series, ranging from western to rock, there is nothing in there you won't like. All the music compliments its scenes well, and nothing really feels out of place.

In closing, I can find no faults in this series. It does different things (especially its transition to the second half of the series) but it does them all well, all the while being complimented by excellent music and animation. One thing to note, this series, along with the game it's based on, was created by Yasuhiro Nightow, who is also the creator of Trigun. While I enjoyed that series, I feel that Gungrave is the better work of his. Overall, I give this series a 10/10. Truly a masterpiece.

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:08 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 11:08 PM #10 of 87
Ooooh I forgot about Gungrave. That is truly a great anime save for one thing -- the monsters. I mean sure, it's great and everything...but I dunno. It felt like a gangster anime and a well-done one at that, but then they throw in zombies? Still, it's a really good series.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Reading --
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:40 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 10:40 PM #11 of 87
Yeah, that's the one downfall of being based on a video game. However, comparing that part of the anime to the source material, I'd say they did a pretty good job of adapting it.

Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:40 AM #12 of 87
Petshop of Horrors
A 10 volume manga set by Matsuri Akino
Genre: Horror, Moral Stories, Short Stories, Humour

Petshop of Horrors is a compilation of stories involving the strangest adventures of a mysterious man known only as Count D and the ever-suspicious detective Leon Orcott (intriguing pre-amble follows):
You never know what you can find lying around in Count D's mysterious petshop in Chinatown...Once inside, you will find that it is much bigger than it seems. Twisting corridors lead to fantastic and dangerous environs. If you're not careful, you could get lost within seconds!
It is said that anybody can find a pet suited for them within this mystical petshop. Sometimes the price may be incredibly steep, involving unfathomable sums of money. However, the whimsical Count D may offer one a pet at the mere price of a box of sugar treats. What is the catch? Everyone has to sign a contract, and abide to the strict terms and conditions of raising these "animals". Failing to adhere to the contract, we find that these animals have the unfortunate tendency of bringing about disastrous events. After all, they are the rarest of the rare...
What? These are not animals, but people? That's was most of the petshop's clientele seem to perceive. To everyone else though, these are just your run of the mill cats, dogs, and other household friends. Although, buying a pet from this particular shop seems to teach the owners life lessons...assuming they live to tell the tale.
Apparently, the animals' true forms can only be seen by those who are destined to link with them. Their caretakers see them as human beings; perhaps with animal-like tendencies. What purpose does this pet serve in the owner's life? Count D seems to have an uncanny habit of picking the right pet for the right person, although some people are unfortunately blindly motivated by greed and fail to see these mystical beings' true value.

"Cut to the chase why don't you!?"

All right... Each volume of manga encompasses four short stories (give or take one periodically). All tying in with the mystery of the almost superhuman Count D, we see tales of Dragons, Doom, Discovery, Deja Vu, and other fantastic stories of D-themed material. The short stories deal with people who are looking for pets from Count D's shop for some (un)known reason. Count D will lead them to the pet they are destined to be with and lets the eager buyer sign a contract.
Sometimes, the people unwittingly break the contract and unleash terrible results. Other times, people faithfully care for their pets and receive the same loyalty back in times of crisis. In rare instances, Count D is just screwing with these people in order to "preserve the flow of nature."
Detective Leon Orcott is highly suspect of Count D and all of the mysteries that D holds, such as his youthful looks and nonchalant nature. He gradually comes to realize just how much of an enigma Count D really is, and becomes involve in all the strange incidents involving the petshop.

My Biased Rating: 10/10
Despite my attempt at a fantastic description, it's still something you'll have to read for yourself to see what I'm talking about.

A depiction of Count D holding an apple for a snake, adorning the cover of the ninth volume.

A beautiful depiction of Count D holding one of three-headed dragon's heads, as per the short story: "December" in Volume 6.

A graphic and bloody death; check the context in Volume 6.

How ya doing, buddy?
Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 02:20 AM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 11:20 PM #13 of 87
Originally Posted by SouthJag
As far as I'm concerned, no other anime has pulled me in so deeply for ALL of 45 episodes than Twelve Kingdoms has. Every episode leaves you wanting more and it's hard to refuse. You'll find yourself having watched 4 or 5 hours of it without even knowing.
I found that I managed to get through the entire series in less than four days. For some reason, it didn't seem like I was flying through the episodes, but they certainly did go quickly.

I especially adored the episodes with Taiki. The story seemed to really catch my attention even more during that part.

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 03:27 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 03:27 AM #14 of 87
Originally Posted by Rydia
I found that I managed to get through the entire series in less than four days. For some reason, it didn't seem like I was flying through the episodes, but they certainly did go quickly.

I especially adored the episodes with Taiki. The story seemed to really catch my attention even more during that part.
Really? I found the campaign to overthrow Shoukou and Gahou to be really interesting. I probably felt a little more giddy during that arc than I did the rest of them, but the Taiki bit was pretty cool and interesting.

Read this!:
You know who I felt bad for? Asano. At least Yuki Sugimoto got back home, but poor Asano. Died not being to speak to anyone save for a few people, and just generally went kinda crazy in the end. Poor guy.

Reading --
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 01:01 AM Local time: Mar 16, 2006, 01:01 AM #15 of 87

Bleach
Genre: Action, Drama, Comedy, Mystery (sort of)
Length: Long. As of now, it's over 70
Setting: Modern & Fantasy

See thread here.

Bleach starts out with a high-schooler, Kurosaki Ichigo, who gains the ability to see ghosts. He then meets a Shinigami, or Death God, whose job is to protect the human world from "evil ghosts" (the Hollows) and bring peace to the good ghosts still walking the earth. When Ichigo "unexpectedly" (don't want to spoil anything...) gains the power of the Shinigami, he soon finds himself protecting his town from Hollows. However, with his new power, he finds much more than he bargained for.

I had heard many good things about this series prior to watching it, but since I read that it was about ghosts, I decided that it wasn't my cup of tea. After my cousins forced me to watch it, I was pretty impressed by the extreme quirkniness and decent plot. As the series went on, I became even more impressed by the plot as the story moved away from hunting Hollows. However, the "Beat boss 1! Power up! Beat boss 2! Power up!" did come up quite often, but the suspenseful plot did manage to bring the anime back up when it started to get repetitive.

The music in the series is quite nice. While it's not something I'd listen to all the time, there are a couple of nice songs, aside from the excellent opening and ending themes. However, I wasn't too enthusiastic about the art. I found it to be too "in your face" for my tastes, with it's 'extreme' shading and lines. (The images I included look pretty nice--none of that "extreme shading" I mentioned)

Overall, I'd give the series a 8/10. It's biggest fault is that it gets awfully repetitive when you watch fights stretch on for episodes and episodes. I'd recommend this series to anyone who's into action and plot and won't mind watching the whole "Beat boss 1! Beat boss 2!" thing.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by elwe; Mar 19, 2006 at 02:47 AM.
Van
CYBERSIX

Member 1454

Level 3.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2006, 03:33 PM #16 of 87

The Vision of Escaflowne (AKA Tenkuu no Escaflowne)

Type:Anime
Genre: Action, Drama, Romance
Format: 26 half-hour episodes
Setting: Fantasy

Story:
Hitomi Kanzaki is a typical high school girl, with all the regular high school problems. But when a vision of a young man battling a dragon becomes a reality, her life changes forever. Drawn into a strange vortex with the swordsman, Van, Hitomi is thrust into the strange world of Gaia.

Entangled in a struggle over life and death, Van must learn to master the suit of armor, Escaflowne. Chased by the Empire of Zaibach, Van and Hitomi will encounter both allies and enemies in an effort to unlock the secrets within Escaflowne.

Personal Views:
Before Escaflowne, I could have been described as a passing fan of anime. I had seen Akira and Ghost in the Shell, and of course the original Gundam "film." Vision of Escaflowne however, turned me on to conciously searching out the newest works coming out of Japan, and I've been a fan of anime and manga ever since.

In a word, this series is beautiful. The characters will grab you instantly, and the story will hold your attention all the way through to the end. Few of the episodes are self-contained, often ending on a cliffhanger of some sort. This is due to the fact that the series as a whole was shortened, but the result is a pacing that could easily have you going through the whole thing in one marathon session. It's that gripping.

The anime itself has it all. The action scenes featuring both mecha and man are well-choreographed, and exciting to watch. The battle which is waged in the second epsiode between a certain bastard-sword-wielding-badass will have you putting your fist to your mouth in excited awe. The characters are all likeable in their own way, and despite the rushed feel of the show in some areas, are all fleshed out very capably. These aren't your simple two-dimensional archetypes found all to often in anime. Its the romantic aspect the show that will make this one a memorable experience though. I'm not much for the mushy stuff usually, but Escaflowne came to me at a time in my life where it struck all the right chords, and the story stays close to my heart to this day because of that.

Animation of the series is fluid and budgeted accordingly. There's plenty of motion where there needs to be, demonstrating that this isn't a manga set to motion, but an anime first and foremost. Nobuteru Yuki's character designs seem to have a love it or hate it air about them, but the style used here is one I'm very fond of, and often mimic when I pull out my sketch pad. Conversely, I've never heard debate concerning the mecha designs. Koji Sugiura and company did a nice job of blending the mechanical with the fantastic in this series, creating suits that were nice to look at, and believable enough for them not to get in the way of the story.

On the sound front, there's little not to like. Maaya Sakamoto remains one of my favorite seiyuu, and in her debut performance as Hitomi Kanzaki she delivers a memorable role that doesn't come off as whiney or weak, but rather frightened and strong. She creates a character that you instantly feel, worry, and hope for. Tomokazu Seki isn't quite on her level for me, but delivers a strong performance as well. Also worthy of note is Minami Takayama, who's performance as Dilandau is one of the most memorable in anime history as far as I'm concerned. Her shriek is chill-inducing. And I'd be doing a disservice if I didn't give credit to the English vocal cast as well. They all put in a good effort, and I've no problem with watching this series in my native tongue, something I actually prefer to do when the track is good.

But it doesn't end with the performances of the cast. The music here is done by the one and only Yoko Kanno. The mere mention of this woman's name will draw me to an anime I know absolutely nothing about, and the soundtrack here is her best work as far I'm concerned. If you aren't blown away by "Dance of Curse" and "Chain," there's something wrong with your hearing.

I could go on and on about this series. I love all the characters here; the brave, yet confused Hitomi; the brash, though well-intentioned Van; the loveable, if a bit overbearing Merle; the heroic Allen; the twisted Dilandau; there's someone here for everyone to root for. The twists and turns the plot takes will have you wanting to watch it again and again. The story itself will urge you to share it with your friends, anime fans or not. The beautiful and enchanting melodies littered throughout will have you importing the soundtracks in no time, and the look will have you scouring eBay for the art books.

The Vision of Escaflowne is a series that captured my imagination for its countless strong points, and few, if even present weak points. My fanship of anime as a whole stems largely from this show, and I would recommend it to anyone who even has a passing interest in the medium. It's being rereleased in April for an MSRP of $50, and I would urge anyone not to rent, not download, but to buy this series. It's one any otaku should be proud to have on their shelf. It continues to be my favorite series of all time, and I can't imagine anything ever taking its place. 10/10. See it.

How ya doing, buddy?
elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 02:54 AM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 02:54 AM #17 of 87

Air
Genre: Drama, Character, Mythological
Length: 13 Episodes + Summer Specials The review doesn't include the specials
Setting: Modern, Fantasy

Plot Summary
Legend tells of a girl with wings who suffers endlessly. Enter Yukito, a young man searching the land for this girl in order to bring her happiness. During a nap on the beach, he is awakened by Misuzu, a lonely girl who looks at each day with optimism. Little does he know that this peculiar girl will change his life forever.

My Thoughts
The first thing that I noticed upon seeing this anime was the animation. It was fluid and beautiful, and the colors were vivid and lively. Right at the beginning, the series gave itself a couple points. Next up was the music, which was refreshing and beautiful. More points there.

However, I couldn't find anything spectacular with the main plot, as it's pretty much on autopilot for the whole anime once it starts up. I felt that the story about the winged girl was thrust into my face at every second. From the first episode on, the girl was constantly alluded to. I understand that she's one of the main characters, but the anime could do a better job with making it a tad more subtle. It might just be me on this, as nobody seems to agree with me on this.

While I wasn't impressed witht the slow-moving plot, I have to admit that that characters' stories were beautiful and moving. This was the second most moving anime I've seen. I won't spoil anything, but this series contains some of the best scenes I've ever had the privilege of coming across. I found myself crying hysterically whether I was filled with joy or sorrow.

Spoiler:
I was cheering for Misuzu as she tried to reach for the dinosaur plushie at the other side of the altar. That was a very powerful scene, as it seemed that the dinosaur was the very symbol of her happiness.

I would recommend this to anyone who likes a good plot-anime without twists and suspense. While it may be too slow-moving for some (like me), I've found that my friends generally liked it. As for me, it was good while it lasted. Overall, I give this a 7.5/10. My friends gave it a 10/10.

Last edited by elwe; Mar 19, 2006 at 03:13 AM.
elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2006, 06:33 PM Local time: Mar 26, 2006, 06:33 PM #18 of 87

Monster
Genre: Drama, Mystery, Suspense
Length: 74 Episodes
Setting: Modern Europe (Germany, Czechoslovakia...)
Warnings: Not suitable for younger audiences due to brief nudity, sex, drugs, alcohol, mature themes, violence

Plot Summary
Tenma, a talented, rising neurosurgeon, has it all--the skills of a prodigy, the love of his patients, the respect of the hospital's director, and the director's daughter's hand in marriage. With a bright future and a promotion to the head of surgery coming ahead, what more could a man ask for? However, Tenma soon learns that a construction worker had died because he had operated on a famous opera singer at the director's request, although the construction worker had arrived to the hospital first. It is from that moment on that Tenma decides to see his patients on a first-come-first-serve basis. Unforutnately, the director has something else in mind.

When a young shooting victim is brought in, Temna immediately prepares to save the boy's life, but before he can start the operation, the director requests that he operates on the mayor, who is expected to arrive in a couple minutes. Tenma, following his heart, ignores his instructions and saves the boy's life. As a result, his dreams of advancing in his career are completely destroyed when the director chooses another man to become the cheif of surgery. Before he knows it, Tenma is soon dumped by his fiancee. As if things couldnt' get worse, the director of the hospital and the newly-promoted cheif of surgery are found dead, and Tenma is the chief suspect.
Years later, a mysterious string of murders start appearing.

Who is the true killer? What does the boy, whose life was saved by Tenma, have to do with this? What is this monster that was born into the world? Tenma takes justice into his own hands and tries to get to the bottom of the mystery before any more lives are taken.

My Thoughts
I'll say right up front that Monster is now my favorite anime in the drama genre. The story is deep, suspenseful, and well-thought-out. Sure, there are moments where I have to question the plot, but otherwise, I found myself sucked into the series as soon as the plot really starts to fall in place. Each detail is carefully incorporated, and every twist is presented in a professional manner that leaves you thinking, "I knew it!" even though you may have never thought of it on your own, rather than "Oh, um, that was random." The suspense that spans the series is also rather effective, since it never lets you go. In fact, with each new discovery, you're drawn deeper and deeper into the story. Yes, it's that involving.

The characters in the series are also pretty realistic. I found myself yelling at their stupidity a lot, but then again, they're not superheroes or anything. What I found very nice was the development of the characters and the little hint of darkness (or goodness) in all of them, which brought the viewer to question whether a character was completely innocent or completely evil.

The music, while it isn't anything I'd listen to in my free time, except for the instrumental opening, compliments the series very well. The same can be said of the art, which is done in a dark, realistic manner.

Overall, I HIGHLY recommend this series to those suspense and drama fans out there. It's a must-see! There's also a lot of irony in there, if you happen to keep an eye out for it. The deep, detailed plot is also excellent. Each and every little bit of detail eventually falls in place beautifully like an elaborate puzzle. I can't even begin to say enough about this series. I'm really glad that I ended up watching it, because it was worth every minute.

11/10 (I'm almost done with the series...)

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by elwe; Jun 3, 2006 at 01:07 PM.
Lee-chan
~キラキラ・マジック~

Member 1899

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2006, 08:21 PM #19 of 87

Title: Eden (It's an Endless World!)
Mangaka: Endo Hiroki
Genre: Science-Fiction, Drama, Action, Post-Apocalyptic, Cyber-Punk?
Length: Thirteen Serialized Volumes
Release Dates: Japan: 1998-2005 (Kodansha), US: 2005-???? (Dark Horse)
Warnings: Sex, Violence, Language, Drugs

Summary: The last three humans (two preteens named Enoah and Hannah, and gaurdian Professor Layne) on a specific island are living in an isolated laboratory. Sometime before, a brutal plague wiped out most of the population. Everything changes when a rebel force led by Enoah's father raids the lab in order to abduct the children, who are immune to the epidemic. Twenty years later, Enoah and Hannah have been seperated. What becomes of the two? What happens when they come into contact with other survivors? What lies in store for the world?

My Thoughts: Well, the first thing I'll admit is that I've only read the first volume, so I don't know how the plot ends, and if the story goes completely to shit. However, I was so engrossed in the first volume that I'll take my chances and write up a reccomendation. The first thing I noticed was the manga's beautiful, realistic art. Then there are two important points: 1) there are no magic/powers/etc and 2) it's not set in Japan. It's been a while since I've read a manga in this vein, so this aspect pleased me quite a bit. Issues not even touched in most animanga like homosexuality and race are dealt with on believable levels. However, this is a very complicated plot that might have you going back a few pages to make sure you didn't miss anything. There are a few pages that are laden with footnotes explaining scientific processes and governmental groups. And this story is quite blatant with it's philosiphization and questioning of political and religious issues. THIS COMIC WILL MAKE YOU THINK. However, I believe that the spectacular art, intricate plot, and dystopian musings make for an excellent read - as I pick up the rest of the series, hopefully my opinion won't change.

Synthesis
Southern Cross

Member 257

Level 25.84

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 02:01 AM Local time: Mar 27, 2006, 01:01 AM #20 of 87
Name: Witch Hunter Robin
Viewing Information: 26 episodes
Publication Information: Sunrise Inc.: licensed by Bandai Entertainment
Original Release: 7-2-02
U.S. Television Debut: 2-16-04
Creator: Hajime Yatate

Synopsis:

Witch Hunter Robin follows the lives of the STN-J (STN Japan) team who protect the public from the powers of modern-day witches. To counteract the powers that the witches posses, the STN-J uses instruments called “Orbo’s”, which somehow nullifies the effect of most witches powers.

The story opens with the arrival of a Robin, a witch hunter, to replace a member of the STN-J who had died six months prior. Her abilities as a witch allow her to create and manipulate fire. She finds the STN-J team in the middle of a witch capture and uses her craft to immobilize the enemy. Throughout the series, she develops a special bond with each member of the STN-J, which ultimately leads to a truly thought-provoking conclusion.

Characters:

Robin Sena. Age: 15. Abilities: Craft-User (Fire)

Born in Japan and raised in a convent under the watchful eye of the STN, Robin returns to Japan as a replacement for a fallen member of the STN-J who had died six months earlier. Her craft allows her to create and control fire.

Amon. Age: 25. Abilities: None

Leader of the STN-J. His steely resolve and witch hunting skills are virtually unrivaled. He answers only to Zaizen for his orders. Although he does develop a somewhat soft spot for Robin. Amon is not known to have any soft of craft abilities and refuses to discuss such matters.

Miho Karasuma. Age: 19. Abilities: Craft-User (Psychic Scrying)

Like Amon, she takes her profession very seriously. Her craft abilities allow her to sense or learn information pertaining to a person or event that occurred there. Her attitude toward her job and ability make her seem a lot older than nineteen. (After watching there series I couldn’t believe she was that young)…

Haruto Sakaki. Age: 18. Abilities: None.

Somewhat brash and reckless, Sakaki usually ends up making a mess of situations and getting himself hurt most of the time. A newer member of the STN-J, he is full of energy and enthusiasm and is ready to take on any assignment.

Michael Lee. Age: 16. Abilities: Computer Expert (Hacker)

A computer specialist, Michael joined the STN-J after being caught trying to hack into the STN-J’s mainframe. Zaizen gave him and ultimatum; to either join the STN-J or face the consequences. Choosing to side with the hunters, Michael now is confined to the
office unable to leave under any circumstances. He spends his time there hacking into other networks mostly to provide information about certain cases that involve witches.

Yurika Dojima. Age: 18. Abilities: None

You can usually find Dojima being lazy around the STN-J office. Her parents pressure Zaizen into giving her a job there, and she takes advantage of that by slacking off. She is often reprimanded by Kosaka for her attitude toward her job.

Kosaka. Age: 45. Abilities: None

Chief Kosaka is un charge of operation at the STN-J office. He makes sure the jobs are doing quickly and efficiently. Dojima is usually on the receiving end of his disciplinary actions. His assistant, Hattori helps him manage things around the office. Kosaka is strict and overbearing, yet resourceful and understanding.

Takuma Zaizen. Age: 52. Abilities: None

Administrator Zaizen is responsible for all STN operations in Japan. He has given authority of the SN-J to Amon and trusts his judgment. He introduced the “Orbo” device and is overseeing it’s production from a new division of the STN-J called “The Factory”. He has equipped the STN-J with the Orbo amulets to reduce or negate the witches powers and the Orbo guns to immobilize the witches.

Series Overall:

Plot- The plot I took was very deep and involving. It was a lot easier to enjoy since the anime is targeted for somewhat older individuals. Loved the storyline as well, there really wasn’t a boring episode in this series in my opinion. It kept my attention. They kept the filler to a minimum, for which I am glad.

Character Development- This area was under constant evolution. Throughout the series the relationships of the characters between each other, their attitude toward their job, and their reactions to Robin’s arrival were highly emphasized.

Music- I really enjoyed the opening and closing themes, "SHell" and "Half-Pain" respectively. I suggest you download and at least listen to them. The background music was good and fit well with the show and in certain situations.

In Conclusion:

When I first began watching this anime I really didn’t know what to make of it. It has now become one of my favorite anime to watch. I recommend this to anyone and everyone with any slight interest in anime. This is a great one that shouldn’t be missed.

9.5/10

From Right to Left: Dojima, Amon, Robin, Sakaki, Karasuma, and Michael

Not to mention the DVD Box Set is awesome looking:

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:32 AM #21 of 87

Golden Boy
Type: Anime OVA
Genre: Comedy, Echi
Length: 6 Episodes
Running time: 30 min each episode
Setting: Modern Japan
Original Creator: Tetsuya Egawa
Rating:For 17 and older

Summary:
Kintaro Oe is a 25 year-old guy who dropped out of college. His specialities are daydreaming, part-time jobs and - naturally - pretty girls. He roams the land on his trusted pink bike, happily living his life.

Each episode follows the same plan. Kintaro finds a job somewhere. Usually, his boss is a beautiful woman who doesn't care what he does, especially when he starts to act silly. From each job he takes he brings along a notebook in which he writes downs all of his "important" notes learning the way of the world in his own unique way. Weather he's a genius or an idiot, he always gets the job done.

My Thoughts:

At first I was hesitent to watch this since it wasn't something that I ever heard of. I kept on hearing good things about it so I decided to give the first episode a download and from the first few minute of watching it I was hooked. I went out a few days later and got myself the 2 dvds and I counldn't have been more pleased. The first episode hooks you in since anybody that likes computer and anime will find this hilarious. The faces that Kintaro makes are just so random and out of this world.
I actually let a few of my friends borrow the 2 dvds and they couldn't get enough of it. All they said after watching it "are there anymore episodes?" And sadly there isn't but but the current ones are enough to keep you coming back for more.
The animation changes to fit the comedy of the situation and it may not look as clean as newer titles its still fits in quite well. Every episode puts kintaro in an interesting job and makes you wish you were him.
This is one of my all time favorite anime's. Kintaro is such a great rolemodel, "study study study" ^_^
I'd reccommend this to anyone who liked GTO or any comedy with a little maturity. I Give it the hightest score possible^_^

New Record!

Last edited by Shenlon; Mar 27, 2006 at 12:15 PM.
elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 05:30 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 05:30 PM #22 of 87
Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal and Reflections (Seisouhen)
Type: OVA
Genre: Action, Plot, Historical
Length: 6 episodes (2 for each OVA, ~205 minutes total)
Setting: Historical Japan
Note: You should watch the TV series first, or maybe read the manga

First off, this OVA series is very different than the TV series, Rurouni Kenshin. It's much more serious, bloody, poetic, and the art is very different. Don't expect to see any of Kenshin's silliness and "oro!" remarks here. Don't worry--you still have the voice actors from the TV series in Japanese.

Basically, Trust and Betrayal are centered around Kenshin and Tomoe before the anime series took place. Reflection takes place after the anime series and offers a quick recap of it, as well as what occurs afterwards. There's the gist of it. I didn't want to give too much away.

In Trust and Betrayal, you get to find out more about Kenshin's past as a Hitokiri and how he got his cross-chaped scar. These 2 OVAs were my favorite. The music was breathtaking and wonderful, as was the animation, although I preferred the TV series' style. There was also a lot of symbolism going on--the crosses in the graveyard and Kenshin's scar, the white plum, etc. The sheer beauty of these OVAs can also be seen in several scenes such as the part in Trust where Kenshin is attacked by an assassin as Tomoe is walking down the street. That whole sequence with the "bloody rain" is silently powerful and very memorable. The ending of Betrayal was very moving as well, but I wont' say more about it.

Reflection takes the viewer 15 years after the TV series. All the characters have obviously aged, especially Kenshin. This OVA consists of many flashbacks to the events in the TV series. For those of you who haven't seen the series, some of these flashbacks may not make too much sense, as they're fast and are shown without much explanation.

If you're familiar with the happy, funny Kenshin from the manga or TV series, you'll be surprised at this. The characters, although they have matured, seem to have undergone extreme personality reconditioning. For some viewers, it might be horrible to see the characters like this. Kenshin is all depressed and guilty, and he's also rather selfish in a way.
Spoiler:
While doing the generous act of helping the world, Kenshin is simultaneously selfishly leaving Kaoru to wait for him to return home. Sanosuke, who is supposed to always be with Kenshin, lets Kenshin leave on the ship alone in his weak state. I'm debating whether the Sano from the manga would do that.
With that aside, Reflection is a very moving conclusion (or not, as many don't consider this a fitting conclusion) to Samurai X that brought me to tears several times.
Spoiler:
The scene where Sano tosses the fish to Kenshin was an especially memorable scene that shows just how much Kenshin has aged from being a strong swordsman to his present state. The saddest part was the end, of course. The way that it was set up, plus the amazing music, help to make it even more powerful.

Now that I'm done rambling about why I like the OVAs, I'll point out a couple of things I didn't like:

-While the English dub was okay, I really preferred the Japanese voice actors.

-There are a couple scenes where "real life" shots were put in. (Real water, real trees, real fire, etc) They were a little awkward and made me chuckle at its cheesiness.

-Kenshin doesn't really use his special sword techniques that were shown in the anime. You just see him slashing and hacking a lot. Well, I guess this makes it fit into the general feel of the OAVs.

And I'll sum up the good parts:

-One of the BEST musical scores I have heard in my life--ranging from exciting percussion rythmns to sad, moving, and beautiful pieces. (There are 2 scores to the OAVs--one for Trust and Betrayal, and another for Reflection, both of which were composed by Taku Iwasaki)

-Action!

-Beautiful--art, story, the way it was told.

Yeah, that's about it. I think that any Kenshin fan should give these OVAs a try after watching the TV series. If you find that you easily get bored with other movies or shows, you might want to skip this one. It's not one of those edge-of-your-seat presentations, but, rather, a beautiful, poetic one that can be a bit slow-moving at times.
Overall: 10/10

Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old May 29, 2006, 03:17 PM Local time: May 29, 2006, 12:17 PM #23 of 87
NANA
Type: Anime Series
Genre: Drama, Romance, Comedy, Music
Length: Ongoing, currently listed as 50
Note: Based on the manga by Yazawa Ai, the same creator of Paradise Kiss. There is also a Nana Live Action movie.

Komatsu Nana (left), Osaki Nana (right)

Nana is the story about two young women who meet one night on a train. After some brief conversation, they realize that they share the same first name, Nana. The two are separated after their arrival in Tokyo, but an apartment tour later on brings them together again.

Character development plays a large role in this anime. The first episode introduces Komatsu Nana and Osaki Nana when they are both twenty, but the anime dedicates several episodes to explain why each woman was on her way to Tokyo. The story revolves around the friendship between the two main characters, friends from each character's past, and the drama that unfolds.

One noteworthy characteristic about the anime is the clothing. In each episode, the characters are often seen wearing different and fashionable outfits. Paradise Kiss is also similar in terms of clothing, but whereas Nana focuses on drama and elements of music, the former involves a design school and fashion.

Although Nana is a shoujo title, it's very different from typical high school stories. The characters' personalities are presented to the viewer slowly, and the drama is more mature.

Nana has a stylish atmosphere, and is a good title to watch to take a break from action. I'd recommend this one to shoujo fans who want to see something different, and viewers who are interested in a mature anime that can still be fun to watch.

FELIPE NO
elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2006, 02:30 PM Local time: Jun 5, 2006, 02:30 PM #24 of 87
Nana
Genre: Romance, Comedy, Music, Drama, Shojo / Shoujo
Length: Ongoing; I've seen 8
Warnings: Not suitable for younger audiences due to brief nudity, sex, etc. So don't go watching it with your 7-year-old cousin!

Plot
Two women with the same name (Nana), both 20 years of age, meet one snowy night on a train headed towards Tokyo. One of these women is a happy, perky person who can't seem to help falling in love at first sight. The other is a rockstar with an attitude. Nevertheless, the two, realizing that they're alike in many ways, become acquainted on their long trip, but upon their arrival at Tokyo, they become separated. However, a chance encounter causes both Nanas to meet again.

The series then focuses around the relationship between both women, as well as their past lives, mainly focusing on romance.

My Thoughts
After reading Rydia's review, I decided to give this series a go since I wasn't watching anything. Upon viewing the first episode, I was pleasantly surprised, and I was looking forward to the next. Although I've only seen 8 episodes, this series looks very promising. The characters are varied and interesting, and their pasts are both detailed and intriguing.

The highest point in this anime, in my opinoin, lies within the characters and their lives, as this isn't a simple, poorly written story about love. On the contrary, it's depth and maturity are evident throught the series. Although both Nanas seems entirely different in their personalities, they do share similar experiences about love. Almost immediately, I found myself wishing each character happiness in their love lives after the flashbacks of how their relationships ended up.

As far as the art goes, I wasn't too sure at first about whether or not it suited the story, but I've gotten used to it. However, I like how the characters aren't wearing the exact same outfit every day!

The OP/ED for this series is very nice. The opening features an all-out rock tune, and each episode closes with a beautiful one. The videos for both are well-done and are some of the best I've seen in a while.

Overall, I would recommend this title to anyone who wants to watch a good anime about romance, although I probably should mention that this series seems to be directed towards the female audience.
8.5/10

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by elwe; Jun 6, 2006 at 04:59 PM.
agreatguy6
Holy Chocobo

Member 682

Level 31.93

Mar 2006

Old Nov 11, 2006, 10:39 PM #25 of 87
Iron Wok Jan!

Category: MANGA: Comedy/Drama, Career Themed (like sports themed, but with a career. :eyebrow: :doh: ), and SoapOpera-esque.
Number of Vols. Thus Far: 21

This is the story of an EXTREMELY arrogant chef (Jan) who simply walks into Gobancho Restaraunt in Tokyo and tells them that they aren't cooking worth crap. He's the new employee and he's really good.

Turns out that his granddad and Jan's nemesis Kiriko granddad were both hailed as the best Chinese Chefs in Japan. This, however is only a small part of the story.

Jan feels that he HAS to be the best, period. No one can get in his way. Not even his employer. He thinks cooking is all about getting a name for yourself.

Kiriko is the exact opposite, she's focused to the point of insanity and cooks with her heart (let me find a trashcan to puke in...).

In my personal opinion, the whole thing was completely insane. There isn't a natural thing about it.
For instance:
*When Jan walks in, he looks like an Egyptian who put on too much makeup.
*Kiriko has a protruding forehead in some shots, and looks totally normal in others.
*Jan looks posessed half the time. Whenever he's cooking, it's like he needs an exorcist or something.
Even though, it's a wild read. If you really feel like reading something while you're completely bored, this is the thing to read. Definately.

EDIT: Arrrgh! Some of the pics are being ghetto... wish I could find more...

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by agreatguy6; Jan 5, 2007 at 10:56 AM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [General Discussion] Anime and Manga Recommendations