Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PSP] Today my day was made (Wild Arms for the PSP)

Sensitive Robot
extraordinary machine

Member 8024

Level 1.73

Jun 2006

Old Sep 3, 2006, 01:39 PM Local time: Sep 3, 2006, 10:39 PM #1 of 20
Today my day was made (Wild Arms for the PSP)

Talk about happy happy news:
Quote:
September 3, 2006 - The Wild Arms series turns 10 this year, and Sony Computer Entertainment is celebrating in style. The company held an anniversary event in Tokyo on the 2nd, where it announced a brand new entry in the series. PSP owners, get set for Sony's classic Western-themed series!

SCE is now hard at work on Wild Arms XF for the PSP, series producer Eitaro Nagano announced at the event. Details and release information were not revealed.

In addition to this surprise announcement, Nagano shared a few new details on Wild Arms: Fifth Vanguard, the new PS2 entry in the series. Players will be able to move around via train and on motorbikes, he revealed. In addition to showing off a few new characters, Nagano also revealed a Japanese release date for the title: 12/14/2006, making it one of the last big RPGs in a year that has been packed with key titles in the genre.

Nagano closed off the event by wishing the series well for another 10 years.
source: ign.com

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Nogib
Wark!

Member 300

Level 2.97

Mar 2006

Old Sep 3, 2006, 03:09 PM Local time: Sep 3, 2006, 03:09 PM #2 of 20
Woot! Happy days! Hopefully it will see a release over here.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Sensitive Robot
extraordinary machine

Member 8024

Level 1.73

Jun 2006

Old Sep 4, 2006, 04:27 PM Local time: Sep 5, 2006, 01:27 AM #3 of 20
Wild ARMs: Cross Fire is not a port, as confirmed by the official website (wild-arms.net/XF/)

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 01:57 AM Local time: Sep 10, 2006, 01:57 AM #4 of 20
Whoa whoa whoa what the fuck. How did I miss this?!

This is AWESOME news! Another cult RPG for the PSP. This is win. I've adored the Wild Arms series since the first game came out, and now I get to take it with me wherever I go. Weeeeeee~ I'd much rather have this then say, some stupid lawyer, surgeon, or cheerleading game. :/ PSP FTW baby.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 02:56 AM Local time: Sep 10, 2006, 12:56 AM #5 of 20
Originally Posted by SouthJag
I'd much rather have this then say, some stupid lawyer, surgeon, or cheerleading game.
Quote:
some stupid lawyer game

Quote:
some stupid lawyer
Why do I get the feeling that this quote will be your utter demise?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 03:11 AM Local time: Sep 10, 2006, 01:11 AM #6 of 20
Hey, at least the court game doesn't take 20 minutes to load.
*cough* *Ahem* We don't wanna start a psp vs. DS topic here. =\

I hope this one is based off the WA4 mechanics. Platform jumping is awesome.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Kostaki
Team Bonklers!

Member 2155

Level 22.18

Mar 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 04:29 AM Local time: Sep 10, 2006, 04:29 AM #7 of 20
I still think that statement was completely unnecessary and trolling for the most part. I love Wild Arms, but I don't own a PSP (and do own a DS) but still believe that a game like this is what the PSP really needs at this point. I'll agree that platforming would better serve the game being as it will be a portable release, in order to really keep you engaged with the game. Since WA4 proved that was possible and doable, it shouldn't be a problem here. I shouldn't have to expect a game where you just initiate combat and put the damn thing down to wait for it to finish either, so the battle system needs to be very engaging.

Jesus christ SouthJag, I had a good amount of respect for you until you said that shit. Until you've actually played those "stupid lawyer, cheerleading, and surgeon" games, you've no basis to make that comment. Period.

FELIPE NO
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 11:06 AM Local time: Sep 10, 2006, 11:06 AM #8 of 20
My lawyer quote will be my utter demise? That's awfully dramatic. I gave all of those games fair chances (save for Ouendan), and they just aren't for me. Not hating on the DS, just those that seem to be the most popular. But anyway.

Have any screens or concept art been released on it? I couldn't find any, but then again I've not been able to find any screens or art for Vth Vanguard either.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Reading --
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Kostaki
Team Bonklers!

Member 2155

Level 22.18

Mar 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 11:39 AM Local time: Sep 10, 2006, 11:39 AM #9 of 20
Then you aren't looking hard enough, because there are several magazine scans and character art shots available for WA5.

If the games aren't for you, then say they aren't to your liking rather than calling them stupid. They're popular for a reason, regardless of whether or not you like them.

I imagine art for this game shouldn't take long to surface either.

Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 12:59 PM Local time: Sep 10, 2006, 10:59 AM #10 of 20
Originally Posted by SouthJag
My lawyer quote will be my utter demise? That's awfully dramatic. I gave all of those games fair chances (save for Ouendan), and they just aren't for me. Not hating on the DS, just those that seem to be the most popular. But anyway.
You pull crap like that every month, and no one takes you seriously if the word "fair" comes out of your mouth. For reference, please see your GFWiki entry.

I move for the editing of SouthJag's original comment and deletion of subsequent posts, so that this thread isn't derailed further by his retardation and flamboyant bias.

Hindman
Good Chocobo

Member 3792

Level 15.57

Mar 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 09:52 PM Local time: Sep 10, 2006, 07:52 PM #11 of 20
Originally Posted by Miles
I hope this one is based off the WA4 mechanics. Platform jumping is awesome.
I wouldn't mind some more hex-battles either.

Hindman
Good Chocobo

Member 3792

Level 15.57

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2007, 10:16 PM Local time: Nov 29, 2007, 08:16 PM #12 of 20
So hey, this is coming to America, Spring '08, thanks to XSeed...
RPG Land: Zombie Chainsaw Strike Force » News » We called it: Wild ARMs XF to North America via XSeed

Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2007, 10:45 AM #13 of 20
This is an incredibly old topic to be bumping up, however, that news is fantastic. My day is made, indeed.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Hindman
Good Chocobo

Member 3792

Level 15.57

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2007, 12:12 PM Local time: Nov 30, 2007, 10:12 AM #14 of 20
This is an incredibly old topic to be bumping up, however, that news is fantastic.
Based on a long posting and lurking history:

Make a new topic = first person replying will link to the old topic, perhaps suggesting "use the search function."
Post in an old topic = first person replying will remark about an odd bump.

One simply must choose between the two.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Hindman
Good Chocobo

Member 3792

Level 15.57

Mar 2006

Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:34 PM Local time: Jan 15, 2008, 08:34 PM #15 of 20
Nall
Robotic Operating Buddy

Member 24431

Level 13.42

Sep 2007

Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:47 PM #16 of 20
Lemme just say that I'm very glad XSEED is working on XF. They did a great job with WA5 (packaging especially) and they seem to really like working for the series. They kinda got off to a rough start, I know WA4 had some issues with EX keys, but I still support them. It also looks like they're sticking with "XF" after all, too.

Pretty cool! Now, if only I had a PSP...

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:48 PM #17 of 20
Pretty nice box art, good to see that the english version is coming along well.

Seeing the screenshots, it looks like it's taking a FFT-like class changing system. It'll be an interesting new feature to the series, on top of changing to a full-blown S/RPG. I already know the OST is great, and being a huge Wild Arms fan I'll definitely pick it up when it comes out.

Cat9
Chocobo

Member 465

Level 11.01

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2008, 08:05 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2008, 05:05 AM #18 of 20
Its out today! Anyone who picks it up, any impressions?

Is there a Deadwood board game out yet?
"Go back 3 spaces you loopy fuckin' cunt"
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2008, 08:19 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2008, 08:19 AM #19 of 20
It's shipping today, so I doubt anyone's gonna be able to get their hands on it before tomorrow, unless it arrives early. Believe me though I'm looking forward to it as well.

Reading --
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:09 PM #20 of 20
I picked up my pre-bought copy today. I'm in Act 1-6, been playing for roughly 5 hours. Here are my impressions.

The soundtrack is awesome. Of course, I had already listened to most of it before it came out, but that doesn't change the awesome factor any. The story seems to take itself a bit more seriously than previous games; The game starts out fast paced and keeps it up. The characters are enjoyable, although the voices leave quite a bit to be desired. Surprisingly, XSEED threw in the Japanese audio track, too! However, much to my dismay, the japanese voices weren't all that much better than the lackluster english track.

The battles are very fast paced for a Strategy/RPG. Everything flows smoothly with very little in-battle loading. Everything stat-wise seems very fair and balanced. From map to map they make sure you abuse the fact that your characters can switch classes.

Where I'm stuck at:
I'm at the Fallen Fowl Swamp, a stage that's a bunch of winding pieces of land through a poisonous swamp. At the very end is a plateau, with no way to get your characters on top of it, with four casters. Try as I might, I cannot get my single caster to take them all out. I may have to resort to changing half of my party to Elementalists and bumrush the plateau, trying to kill them all off before all of mine get wiped out.

Overall I'm very impressed, and feel it was a worthwhile purchase.

Edit: Oh, one thing that's disappointing me now about the series as a whole. Since 5 it seems like they've abandoned the old model of having an opening animation that played every time you loaded the game, and an ending one every time you saved and quit. They've been skimping on the opening sequences, too. I'd like to think it's a temporary thing, but I'm sure the future will prove me wrong.

Last edited by Taco; Mar 13, 2008 at 01:12 AM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PSP] Today my day was made (Wild Arms for the PSP)