Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] Transformers Movie (07-04-07)

Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2007, 08:15 PM Local time: Jun 5, 2007, 05:15 PM #276 of 366
Hopefully, someday I'll have the opportunity to kick Michael Bay in the balls and scalp him. The dude needs a haircut.

Why are the words "a Michael Bay film" above the title on the movie poster... as though Michael Bay is a bigger than Transformers itself? Bay is an arrogant prick who thinks he makes good movies cause retards pay out the nose for his shitty work. The only decent thing he's ever done was the Aaron Burr milk commercial.

I've started to re-watch the original series so I can see exactly how far he's missed the mark. What's sad though is the fact that the movie will make $100M+ opening weekend just cause it's a summer blockbuster. And because of this, Michael Bay will think he's done justice to the intellectual property.

The 1986 flick had an all-star cast of voice actors including Orson Welles, but you certainly didn't see a movie poster that read, "Orson Welles in, Transformers the Movie" I hate seeing directors or actors thinking they're bigger than the movies that they work on.
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW.

It's called marketing, dumbass. People are going to respond to movies positively (as in, throwing money at it) so long as you have big names attached to it. NAMES are MORE important than the franchise itself in many cases, especially when it comes to something like Transformers. In fact, if you don't have a big name on-board for the movie in the first place, then your shit probably won't get greenlit.

Get off your fucking nostalgia horse and recognize that.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Interrobang
What I learned in Boating Class is

Member 411

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2007, 08:47 PM Local time: Jun 5, 2007, 07:47 PM #277 of 366
I've started to re-watch the original series so I can see exactly how far he's missed the mark.
Two warring factions of robots that change shape come to Earth. Only real difference is that the movie's sticking to ROBOT FIGHT FIGHT instead of the retarded plots that the old show came up with.

It's a '80s cartoon, not the high art that you're furiously masturbating to.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 03:56 AM Local time: Jun 7, 2007, 02:56 AM #278 of 366
It's called marketing, dumbass. People are going to respond to movies positively (as in, throwing money at it) so long as you have big names attached to it. NAMES are MORE important than the franchise itself in many cases, especially when it comes to something like Transformers.
Spider-Man 3 made a shitload more money than Transformers will, and it was never marketed as "Sam Raimi's Spider-Man." Besides, since when is Michael Bay a big name? Is it really so easy to become a big name in Hollywood? All he's done is cast Ben Afleck in a few shitty movies, given us the "dynamic duo" of Will Smith and Martin Lawrence (outta be killed just for that crap) and spends 50 million minimum on explosions and special effects in every flick he's done.

I guess more than anything I don't like to see his arrogant approach to shit.

BTW, no need for the name calling Mudkips. I'd just prefer it if directors cared more about making a good movie instead of just working the marketing machine.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Divest
Banned

Member 3267

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 04:09 AM Local time: Jun 7, 2007, 02:09 AM #279 of 366
Damn Mudkips, you really felt upset over his post, huh?

It's called marketing, dumbass.

Get off your fucking nostalgia horse and recognize that.
I find this really funny. I'm not necessarily laughing with you, though.

I agree with what Meth is saying. There's no need to attach the name to the front of the poster. That's arrogant and self-congradulatory.

FELIPE NO
Freddy Krueger
Good Chocobo

Member 1982

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 06:14 AM #280 of 366
Well is Bay really responsible for putting the name on the poster?

How ya doing, buddy?
Divest
Banned

Member 3267

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 07:24 AM Local time: Jun 7, 2007, 05:24 AM #281 of 366
Not necessarily, but that's besides the point I'm trying to make.

I think it's just uncalled for to have your name with the title unless you WROTE the original story (Frank Miller's Sin City, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, etc.)

I know he probably didn't put the name on there himself but all things considered he has some control over these things. I'm sure it wasn't an integral part of their marketing scheme that they would have been absolutely reluctant to change, afterall.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
jouhou
-

Member 400

Level 18.87

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 08:29 AM #282 of 366
His name is on the poster, you're upset. What you gonna do? Petition to take his name off the poster? or are you not gonna watch it?
For all I care, Micheal Bay could have his name scrawled across megatron's forehead during the movie, or they could use the cast from Harry Potter and I'd still watch it. Why? Because it's freaking giant robots kicking butt!
Face it, everyone watched transformers cartoon because it was transforming giant robots. Same goes for the movie.

btw, I lol'd
http://youtube.com/watch?v=BbK9rGhFYmQ

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by jouhou; Jun 7, 2007 at 08:34 AM.
Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 06:40 PM Local time: Jun 7, 2007, 03:40 PM 3 #283 of 366
Originally Posted by Divest and Meth slash
SLICK SLICK SLICK
I swear to god, did you two call each other last night? Is this your first time watching a Hollywood-produced summer blockbuster?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 06:53 PM Local time: Jun 8, 2007, 07:53 AM #284 of 366

Oh my god look at that he's trying to be bigger than Transformers itself

Wait shit I can't even read it

The_Melomane
Go forth and become a happy cabbage

Member 20147

Level 17.46

Feb 2007

Old Jun 7, 2007, 06:55 PM Local time: Jun 7, 2007, 05:55 PM #285 of 366
I was under the impression that most directors have their names on the title of the film.

Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 07:51 PM Local time: Jun 7, 2007, 06:51 PM #286 of 366
Is this your first time watching a Hollywood-produced summer blockbuster?
As opposed to those indy summer-blockbusters?

Even if the goal is just to be a summer blockbuster and make a shit load of money, why advertise it as "a Michael Bay film?" His name carries no weight as a director and if anything scares off those that were tricked into seeing Armageddon and Pearl Harbor with their girlfriends.

Putting an actor or director's name infront of the title of a movie usually shows that those individuals' egos are too big to commit to making something bigger than themselves. So forgive me if I prefer my actos to play characters or directors to commit to making a good movie instead of a $200M semi-sweet asshole sandwich... especially when they've got the opportunity to do something awesome.

Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 08:12 PM Local time: Jun 7, 2007, 05:12 PM 1 #287 of 366
As opposed to those indy summer-blockbusters?

Even if the goal is just to be a summer blockbuster and make a shit load of money, why advertise it as "a Michael Bay film?" His name carries no weight as a director and if anything scares off those that were tricked into seeing Armageddon and Pearl Harbor with their girlfriends.

Putting an actor or director's name infront of the title of a movie usually shows that those individuals' egos are too big to commit to making something bigger than themselves. So forgive me if I prefer my actos to play characters or directors to commit to making a good movie instead of a $200M semi-sweet asshole sandwich... especially when they've got the opportunity to do something awesome.
Post of the year.

FELIPE NO
jouhou
-

Member 400

Level 18.87

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 09:17 PM #288 of 366

It's a world wide release. You'd be crazy not to put your name on it to make yourself known.

Further more, you'd only really want to put your name on it if you know you worked hard on it and are proud of it. Who would do a crap job then want to paste their name on it? Even if it makes $200M+ but is a bad movie, you still wouldn't want to put your name on it because if it really is that bad of a movie then it's likely the end of your career.

Also, what makes you think the producers and actors/actresses are doing a poor job? What's this all based on?? You're re-watching of the original cartoon and comparing it to 3 minutes worth of trailers? and the location of Micheal Bay's name on a freaking poster?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by jouhou; Jun 7, 2007 at 09:21 PM.
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 09:34 PM Local time: Jun 8, 2007, 10:34 AM #289 of 366
http://www.movieweb.com/movies/film/11/3311/posters.php

Take a good look at the whole batch of posters. Only four of those actually have the words "a Michael Bay film" (in a comparatively tiny font) on it, so it's not like he's dying for the exposure.

I can't believe I have to defend the idea of directors being credited on their own movie posters. Good lord.

How ya doing, buddy?
Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 10:16 PM Local time: Jun 7, 2007, 09:16 PM #290 of 366
Also, what makes you think the producers and actors/actresses are doing a poor job? What's this all based on??
Have you ever watched a Michael Bay movie?

Why ever trust this guy again with the funds to make a big flick?

I'm not saying that those that deserve the credit shouldn't be on their movie posters... but placing themselves before the title is arrogant in my book.

value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 10:25 PM #291 of 366
That's not arrogant, that's marketing. If I hear a movie is directed by Martin Scorcese I'm likely to watch it. If I hear it's directed by, incidentally, Michael Bay, I'll run far away.

Interrobang
What I learned in Boating Class is

Member 411

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2007, 10:49 PM Local time: Jun 7, 2007, 09:49 PM #292 of 366
Are you this dense? Armageddon made 550 million. Pearl Harbor made 450 million.

It's not about making quality (which Transformers never was). It's about making money.

Most amazing jew boots
jouhou
-

Member 400

Level 18.87

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2007, 09:55 AM #293 of 366
Have you ever watched a Michael Bay movie?

I'm not saying that those that deserve the credit shouldn't be on their movie posters... but placing themselves before the title is arrogant in my book.
To tell the truth, I have no freaking clue who Micheal Bay was. Even after seeing the trailers and posters for Transformers I still didn't know who Micheal Bay was until you started hating on him.

Yes, I saw Armageddon and I enjoyed it. No, I didn't see Pearl Harbor because it wasn't my type of movie, I don't like history war movies, except for Glory.

A lot of movie posters have director and/or actor names before the Movie title. Even some of the best films have them. I'm pretty sure you think some of these are good movies, no?? or are they all arrogant people?

Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2007, 05:11 PM Local time: Jun 8, 2007, 04:11 PM #294 of 366
It's not about making quality (which Transformers never was). It's about making money.
Again, I guess it's too much to ask for quality... Hopefully someday people will see that you can make more money with quality. I'm sick of the sellouts.

And yeah jouhou, I'm aware that this happens. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Roan
Chocobo

Member 1565

Level 13.78

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2007, 08:36 PM #295 of 366
Just saw the movie today!
First of all I didnt watch the cartoons too much back in the 80's I just knew Optimus was the good guy, and Megatron the bad.
SO far the movie was entertaining, but towards the end when they were fighting in the city streets, I had a hard time telling which was were the autobots except for bumblebbe and prime.

*SPOILER*

And why did sam thrust that cube into megatron's chest? I thought prime wanted it thrust into him?

Most amazing jew boots
Tagonist
The Age of Legends

Member 22583

Level 14.69

May 2007

Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:58 AM Local time: Jul 2, 2007, 05:58 PM #296 of 366
Hell, Michael Bay might not be the next Hitchcock, but his movies usually are visually outstanding and highly entertaining, though mostly very shallow.
So far I've enjoyed every one of them. With the exception of Pearl Harbor, which should have been 2 hour shorter, leaving just the awesome attack sequence.
I'm pretty much looking foreward to Transformers... Sheesh, so many movies to see this summer... Hope I'll get to see them all. *_*

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

These are the Books of Harrow
They are our doom and our salvation
Learn from them, or we will all perish
Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2007, 06:44 PM Local time: Jul 2, 2007, 05:44 PM #297 of 366
1. Michael Bay had to be convinced to take on this project, ergo, he probably wants credit for a movie he was coerced into devoting time to working on. I'm not saying that's the best idea, to allow somebody not 'into' a movie's main theme to have the main controls, but oh well. He is a major name, just like Spielberg is a major name.

2. I don't see his name in any big print on any of the posters. Have you people skimmed over Bigblah's posts? God.

3. Everything Transformers, even the animated series and the comics, is based on a TOY LINE. If you get defensive over the supposed 'true history' of something that isn't even based on a work of written fiction -- graphic or otherwise -- then you are a sad individual. Japan took Transformers and ran with it in different directions. It's like people saying Pirates of the Caribbean strayed too far from its source material . There's nothing to go "off the mark" on, really.

That said, I'm really looking forward to seeing this next weekend (no way I'm going on opening day). I always enjoyed Transformers, and I really don't give a crap about continuity with any other part of the 'mythos' because basically, I liked the toys. And the 80s movie.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Arkhangelsk; Jul 2, 2007 at 06:47 PM.
CapturedPenguin
Spidey Sense

Member 40

Level 9.94

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:05 PM #298 of 366
I just came back from it. I enjoyed it, more so as a casual fan of the series and not a hardcore follower of the old cartoons. It was entertaining and kept me interested and about 75% of the audience gave it a round of applause if that says anything about the masses.

cubed
Knock knock who's there? Me! I keel you!

Member 858

Level 27.57

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2007, 11:07 PM #299 of 366
*SPOILER*

Spoiler:
And why did sam thrust that cube into megatron's chest? I thought prime wanted it thrust into him?
Spoiler:
The cube killed Megatron, Sam likes Prime. He didn't want to stab his friend. He saved the day. I thought it was pretty obvious.

I didn't follow the cartoon either, but I knew few of the robots names like Prime, Bumblebee, Megatron, etc.

In overall, the movie was excellent and delivered what I need: mindless action, jokes, hot chick, and giant robots.

---------------{ Currently playing }--
... Nothing.... really.

-----------------------{ Last rips }--
Trauma Center New Blood (Wii)
Trauma Center Second Opinion (Wii)
Planet Puzzle League (DS)

---{ Currently in ripping progress }--
Dragoneer's Aria (PSP)
Professor Layton and the Curious Village (DS)

-----------{ Other stuffs about me }--
My VGM Collection
(last update: mar. 03, 2008)

--------------------------------------
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2007, 01:39 AM Local time: Jul 2, 2007, 11:39 PM #300 of 366
I just got back from watching it too and I gotta say... It was alright. I mean, my expectations were so low (considering that Michael Bay was at the helm) that it actually turned out a hell of a lot better than I expected. I mean, FUCK Optimus Prime looked AWESOME. Sure it had the cheesy "Bay-esque" dialogue, bad character placement (John Turturro is a cliched waste here, let me tell you) and GOD-FUCKED-ME-IN-THE-ASS-WITH-HIS-HOLY-OMNIPOTENT-COCK-HORRIBLE soundtrack featuring none other than LINKIN PARK. But aside from these oversights (albeit, rather detrimental ones) it was visually orgasmic and had great action through and through.

Really though, people... Do not walk into this movie using logic; in fact... If you're using any of that "common sense" malarkey, TURN THAT SHIT OFF. You won't need it. Trust me on this. Your brain will actually HEMORRHAGE if you start thinking about shit like:

Spoiler:
Why a plane like Air Force One carries EVERY FILE EVER COLLECTED SINCE THE DAWN OF MAN in a computer in the BELLY OF THE PLANE or how Sam's parents are completely oblivious to the fact that there's a small batallion of robots LARGER THAN HIS HOUSE stomping around in his garden while they think it's an earthquake.

Trust me... Logically speaking, you're just gonna have to let A LOT OF SHIT slide.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] Transformers Movie (07-04-07)