Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] Transformers Movie (07-04-07)

DukeBox
Chocobo

Member 1947

Level 9.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 03:35 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 06:35 PM #1 of 366
Transformers Movie (07-04-07)

Well, now that the movie has finally been given an official green-light, I thought it would be a good idea to create a thread for the upcoming movie.

The movie is currently still in pre-production, and will reputedly begin filming in May 2006. It is to be based on the G1 characters and concepts, but with a couple of changes (e.g. there will thankfully be no mass-shifting... so Megatron will be a tank, rather than a pissy little handgun )

The director for this movie is Michael Bay (The Rock, Bad Boys, The Island, etc). Spielberg is the executive producer, with other producers including Don Murphy (From Hell, LXG, the upcoming movie "Shoot 'Em Up"), Tom DeSanto (X-men 1 & 2), Lorenzo DiBonaventura (Constantine), and Ian Bryce as Line Producer. Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci are responsible for the current script drafts.

The original voice actors for Optimus Prime (Cullen) and Megatron (Welker) are being considered to reprise their roles if they are able to meet the quality needed for the movie (Murphy and DeSanto are for the original VAs, Lorenzo is against... pretty much everything. However, the final decision rests with Bay).

The final character line-up hasn't been revealed yet. However, thus far it looks like it will include:
  • Autobots: Optimus Prime, Ratchet, Bumblebee, Jazz, (plus one more autobot to replace the thankfully axed Acree .... We think the replacement may be Ironhide)
  • Decepticons: (Still to be officially announced) Megatron, Starscream, and 3 other cons (whose names are being kept secret with "placeholder" names until closer to the release date).
  • Squishies/Humans: Spike (Shia La Beouf), Spike's dad, Mikaela (Spike's love interest -- Played by Megan Fox *drools*), Secretary of Defence (Jon Voight), Female Data Analyst (Rachel Taylor), Various Soldier Roles (one of whom is played by Tyrese Gibson). (I can't remember the rest of the actors involved off the top of my head ^^; Will have to do another update later)

The most notable aspect of this movie's development is that fans the amount of direct contact that fans have had with the people working on this film. Most notably is Don Murphy's website, where he and other members of the production team (including Ian Bryce and Robert Orci) directly interact with fans, and keep them regularly updated. Michael Bay has also interacted with fans on his website, although to a lesser degree.

For more information, the following links may be helpful:

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by DukeBox; May 29, 2006 at 03:39 AM.
Freddy Krueger
Good Chocobo

Member 1982

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 04:05 AM #2 of 366
Sounds good, some good names behind this and Bay's last movie "The Island" was really cool so I expect something good here. Although I'm not a Transformers fan so i don't have the automatic hate most fans probally will have =]

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Nehmi
spectre of humanity

Member 684

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 04:09 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 04:09 AM #3 of 366
God I hope they don't find some way to make this movie suck. The original Transformers animated movie was absolutely awesome in every way. However with the recent releases these days, I do have my doubts. =/

Still, I'll probably see it even if it turns out to be bad, heh.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 04:29 AM #4 of 366
Quote:
(plus one more autobot to replace the thankfully axed Acree)
Grimlock, goddamn them. It better be Grimlock.

I'm very much excited for this (as well as optimistic that it will end up a quality movie). I'm still wondering what they'll do about Soundwave, since they've stated many times that he won't be an 80's boombox (can't they just say he scanned off a player that purposely has that retro design)? He's still my favorite Decepticon of all time, so I'm really hoping they don't mess up his look.

Quote:
Squishies/Humans: Spike, Others (unknown)
As if fans ever gave a crap about any human other than Spike and his dad. And I don't think they had a very big fanbase to begin with.

And wasn't Ravage one of Soundwave's casetticons (the dog)? Why should he count as one of the main Decepticons? Where are the other casetticons for that matter?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Soldier; Mar 7, 2006 at 04:32 AM.
khan0plinger
OH YES LET ME DROWN IN IT

Member 983

Level 17.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 05:44 AM #5 of 366
Originally Posted by Nehmi
God I hope they don't find some way to make this movie suck. The original Transformers animated movie was absolutely awesome in every way. However with the recent releases these days, I do have my doubts. =/

Still, I'll probably see it even if it turns out to be bad, heh.
When I opened this thread and saw there was 3 replies I just knew there was at least one post with something along the lines of "I hope this doesn't suck" or "I hope they dont make this suck" and I was right! Every movies anticipation thread has one!

Onto the movie, I recall hearing about this off and on over the years and I am fucking grateful they are doing it based on G1. I was so happy when I heard about the PS2 video game...then pissed that it was based off the crappy new generation of transformers. Energon, Armada and anything else can all go to hell. It really depends on how they approach this though...if its based on the g1...they must realize the larger portion of their fanbase is going to be ages 20-30...and should make it somewhat mature. I dont want to see Bumblebee end up being the hero that saves the day...to be realistic..Bumblebee should get shot up and die. For a really dramatic effect, have him get shot up and then fall on Spike...LOL

Most amazing jew boots
DukeBox
Chocobo

Member 1947

Level 9.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 06:32 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 09:32 PM #6 of 366
Originally Posted by SOLDIER

I'm very much excited for this (as well as optimistic that it will end up a quality movie). I'm still wondering what they'll do about Soundwave, since they've stated many times that he won't be an 80's boombox (can't they just say he scanned off a player that purposely has that retro design)? He's still my favorite Decepticon of all time, so I'm really hoping they don't mess up his look.

As if fans ever gave a crap about any human other than Spike and his dad. And I don't think they had a very big fanbase to begin with.

And wasn't Ravage one of Soundwave's casetticons (the dog)? Why should he count as one of the main Decepticons? Where are the other casetticons for that matter?
There's actually been speculation that it might be either Ironhide or Wheeljack. If they do have Grimlock and the dinobots, it'll probably have to be in a sequel (they're planning three movies at the moment, with Unicron a possibility in the third).

As for Soundwave, they were originally planning on making him a helicopter, but I'm not quite sure if that is still the case (Robert Orci came online and posted that he wouldn't be a helicopter, but we weren't quite sure if he was for real, or just joking around ^^; ... probably/hopefully he was being serious ). Regardless though, I think they intend to still have Soundwave being a central unit for "cassetticons" (or whatever they end up being in the movie), with him being able to deploy and then recall them. Personally, I was actually suprised that Ravage was named instead of Laserbeak. Oh well

Originally Posted by Knighthawk
I was so happy when I heard about the PS2 video game...then pissed that it was based off the crappy new generation of transformers
Activision have signed on and said that they will be doing the video game for the new G1-based movie ^o^ Sure, it most probably won't have all the Transformers from the cartoon G1 series... but at least Optimus Prime will be a good-ol Flatnosed/Cab-over truck

Most amazing jew boots
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:48 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 09:48 AM #7 of 366
I'm still wondering what they'll do about Soundwave, since they've stated many times that he won't be an 80's boombox (can't they just say he scanned off a player that purposely has that retro design)? He's still my favorite Decepticon of all time, so I'm really hoping they don't mess up his look.
Of course it will be a Sony PSP using the UMDs in place of cassettes.

FELIPE NO
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 11:32 AM #8 of 366
Sigh.

You know this is going to suck. Suck hard. Harder than you'd expect for them digging up a cartoon originally from the 1980s as a nostaglia thing for GenX.

And then they had to go and add Michael Bay. Has he EVER made a good movie? Shit, at least Paul Verhoeven made Soldaat van Oranje - Michael Bay's given us nothing but complete fucking crap.

Most amazing jew boots
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 01:23 PM #9 of 366
After "The Island," I'm surprised Michael Bay is even directing anymore. Losing $100 million has to have some kind of consequence.

Two questions: first, what sort of movie is this going to be? The linked sites at the top seema little fuzzy on this. CGI? CGI + actors? Perhaps even some sort of cel-based animation (porbably not, but a man can dream)?

Second, who's set to score it? The augurs at IMDB have little to say, the above sites even less. Vince DiCola could probably use the work, though.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
XerxesTheMighty
Weapon X

Member 105

Level 8.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 03:17 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 01:17 PM #10 of 366
Fricking Right! Transformers without the Dinobots is like KFC without chicken. It just wont work.

SO SAY WE ALL
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 07:08 PM #11 of 366
Can someone please point me to a good Transformers resource. The Transformers category on Idiotpedia is way too cluttered and confusing.

Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 07:22 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 04:22 PM #12 of 366
http://www.tfarchive.com/

I think that site's okay. I haven't visited in a few years, but I remember visiting it often back in the day.

I'll hold my fanboyish giggles for the first trailer or two, because right now all I see is Michael Bay. I do like that the writers and other members of staff are chatting with fans. Hopefully that'll have some impact on the quality of the actual film.

Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 07:46 PM #13 of 366
Ok, the Transformers mythology is impossible for me to unravel at this point.

I'm only interested in finding out about the original Transformers. That's the one where Megatron turns into a gun, right.

Does anyone even like the Autobots.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 08:06 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 05:06 PM #14 of 366
Only Autobots that matter are Optimus Prime and Grimlock.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
DukeBox
Chocobo

Member 1947

Level 9.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 08:12 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 11:12 AM #15 of 366
Originally Posted by orion_mk3
After "The Island," I'm surprised Michael Bay is even directing anymore. Losing $100 million has to have some kind of consequence.

Two questions: first, what sort of movie is this going to be? The linked sites at the top seema little fuzzy on this. CGI? CGI + actors? Perhaps even some sort of cel-based animation (porbably not, but a man can dream)?

Second, who's set to score it? The augurs at IMDB have little to say, the above sites even less. Vince DiCola could probably use the work, though.
The apparent failure of The Island is more a reflection of bad promoting than bad directing. The promotion for the movie was sparse and poor. One thing especially was that they revealed far too much in the preview, which is something you don't want do if you wish to create hype (just look at the success of the "What is the Matrix?" ad campaign before the first matrix movie). The Island only did $35,818,913 domestically, but it did far better in the international box-office with a return of $124,466,160 (total of $160,285,073). Sure they were expecting more, but that isn't a flop. Now movies like Stealth ($32,116,746 domestically and $44,816,126 internationally) were definitely a flop, and Stealth cost $10million more than The Island to make.

As for the Transformers movie, it is going to be CGI + Actors. It might start off as a secret war between autobots and decepticons from the human perspective, but I can't say for sure. The number one thing they have to do with this movie is appeal to a larger audience, while still keeping the fans happy. The animated Transformers movie was absolutely awesome from a fan's point POV... however, the movie itself didn't do too well because it wasn't that accessible to the wider audience.

Nothing has been decided as to the music score. IMDB is like the GameFaqs of the movie world, except less informed when it comes to movies in preproduction... Hell they were even saying George Clooney had been approached to voice-over for Prime >___>; , which I'm happy to say that this is utter BS (based on reliable information provided directly by the makers of the movie on their forums). Casting has only just begun, and they've started with human roles first.

FELIPE NO
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 08:17 PM #16 of 366
Danny Elfman to score the Transformers movie.

No argument.

Oh, wait. Brad Fiedel would be sik.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 12:53 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 10:53 PM #17 of 366
Originally Posted by Megalith
Danny Elfman to score the Transformers movie.

No argument.

Oh, wait. Brad Fiedel would be sik.

Fuck that! Lion needs to reprise their metal theme of Transformers! And Stan Bush needs to bring the Touch!

*AkirA*
Now you're king of the mountain, but it's all garbage!

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 12:58 AM #18 of 366
This movie could be the most badass thing ever, but all I can picture is a bad looking godzilla esque movie with transformers in it.

I hope they just do the whole thing in CG.

XerxesTheMighty
Weapon X

Member 105

Level 8.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 01:02 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 11:02 PM #19 of 366
Originally Posted by guyinrubbersuit
Fuck that! Lion needs to reprise their metal theme of Transformers! And Stan Bush needs to bring the Touch!
As lame as it sounds I actually agree. The animated movie's music was actually pretty damn skippy and work pretty well with it, at least for me.

SO SAY WE ALL
sabbey
River Chocobo

Member 139

Level 26.07

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 01:57 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 10:57 PM #20 of 366
I don't know, I am not sure I'll be happy unless Vince DiCola scores the film...

Nehmi
spectre of humanity

Member 684

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 02:06 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 02:06 AM #21 of 366
Vince DiCola alone would make the movie gold. The original movie score is still one of my favorate soundtracks of all time. A very unique sound to say the least.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 01:22 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 12:22 PM #22 of 366
Quote:
Posted by DukeBox
The apparent failure of The Island is more a reflection of bad promoting than bad directing.
Ripping off a movie that appeared on Mystery Science Theater 3000 didn't help, either. That's not exactly good word-of-mouth.

They're going to have to be really creative with the script in order to be able to market this to someone other than Gen-X fanboys. Their biggest hurdle will be taking what was originally a series of half-hour toy commercials, and then trying to flesh the backstory out such that it doesn't seem totally ridiculous to non-fans. On paper, all by itself, robots that turn into cars and tape players is a stupid concept and it'll take some doing to make the whole scenario plausible.

I'm sure I'm not the only one utterly bewildered by the Transformers fandom, and in essence we're the people that the filmmakers are going to have to win over. The fans will come see the film even if it's total rubbish, but if they want to make money they'll have to make it appealing to everyone. I'm really wondering if that's even possible, if they're letting the fans (who are not always the best people to consult) run most of the show.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Tappy
Oh, Batsy!

Member 542

Level 15.71

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 03:30 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 09:30 PM #23 of 366
Originally Posted by orion_mk3
Vince DiCola as composer would be my first choice too, but I highly doubt he will get the job.
I think it's likely that it'll be someone from the Media Ventures stable.
Probably Steve Jablonsky, Hans Zimmer or Klaus Badelt!
(If we're lucky...then it's John Powell)

I'm really REAAALLLYYY hoping that Peter Cullen and Frank Welker will voice Optimus Prime and Megatron.
That's probably the one thing that will sell this movie to me and all the fanboys (or ex-fanboys, who wanna relive their childhood).
Too bad Chris Latta (Starscream) died though!

How ya doing, buddy?
DukeBox
Chocobo

Member 1947

Level 9.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 07:46 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 10:46 AM #24 of 366
Actually, on the issue of Vince DiCola, he is supposed to make a presentation to Bay and the producers sometime this year (probably soon)... So it's by no means definite, but he's certainly being considered ^___~ **Hopes for the best**

Yeah, and it sucks how Chris Latta (Starscream) and Scatman Crothers (Jazz) are both dead ;___; I hope they pick good voice actors to replace them

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 07:48 PM #25 of 366
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0225746/

Oh hell yeah, this guy is impressive.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] Transformers Movie (07-04-07)