Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Windows XP, home, work, wtf?

Zio
I'm so cool, I got my own castle.

Member 456

Level 19.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:03 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 12:03 AM #1 of 15
Windows XP, home, work, wtf?

Ok, I have a serious question I keep seeing XP home, XP -insert- edition and all these special packages like SP2 and etc... What is the best for say, a gamer such as myself? I want to know cause I never ever used XP and I know there is more then one edition. Anyone care to enlighten me?

And if I am wrong that there is not more then one edition then I apoligize.

Most amazing jew boots
Originally Posted by Zio
Heh, heh, heh. Now, now. That's the expression I want to see! A face filled with pain and anguish, begging fearfully for help, a face quivering with anger! Go, on! Get angry! Suffer! Be sad! That would truly be the ultimate offering to me and my great god!
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:06 AM #2 of 15
There's a billion different iterations of Windows XP; most of them are the best OSes for gaming as far as I can tell. The standards, Home and Professional, are most suited for the casual customer whereas most the others are just there for specific purposes.

SP2 = Service Pack 2. Microsoft releases these patches to update numerous things about the OS and give new functionality. It has no real bearing on which OS to choose; just know that you need at least SP1 for USB2.0 functionality.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:10 AM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 11:10 PM #3 of 15
There are 4 major versions of XP

XP Home
XP Pro
XP Corporate
XP Media Center Edition

There isn't much difference between Home/Pro/Corporate, other than support/lack of for multi processors, and remote connection support. Media Center Edition includes some extra stuff aimed at Media Center PCs...those ones that are like DVRs.

Just get yourself XP Pro, slap on SP2 and you're good to go. Or better yet, 2000 SP4 as it's XP without all the RAM cloging extra fisher price interface.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:12 AM #4 of 15
Thanks VG, I couldn't have been bothered to elaborate, what with the horse-race to 100 between Capo and I.

Anything that saves you RAM from being chewed up is always good, but don't be surprised if someday you need Windows XP to play certain games (if the rumors about requiring Vista for Halo 2 are to be believed, it could end up being the same for XP someday...never know).

How ya doing, buddy?
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:13 AM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 11:13 PM #5 of 15
Also with Home you cannot join a domain. Not that the average user would ever be affected by this. Professional/Corporate is what I strongly prefer. It adds a lot more subtle functionality than Home seems to. Seems to run faster too.

I was speaking idiomatically.
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:27 AM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 11:27 PM #6 of 15
Seems I was a bit off in my count. I forgot Tablet PC Edition (designed for Tablet computers, which are like laptops) and x64 edition, designed for 64-bit processors.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...n/compare.mspx

Comparison differences. (They list 5, but Pro/Corporate seems a touch difference in the registration.)

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Zio

Member 456

Level 19.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 01:31 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 01:31 AM #7 of 15
Russ, what do you mean by 'domain?'

And yes, I know many games that require only XP or 2000 which kicks me in the balls all the time since I have ME.

I think I may just go home edition to keep it simple.

FELIPE NO
Originally Posted by Zio
Heh, heh, heh. Now, now. That's the expression I want to see! A face filled with pain and anguish, begging fearfully for help, a face quivering with anger! Go, on! Get angry! Suffer! Be sad! That would truly be the ultimate offering to me and my great god!
Duminas
Something

Member 29

Level 13.21

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 01:43 AM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 10:43 PM #8 of 15
A domain is basically something used for networking purposes. To put it bluntly, it allows a group of computers to network together, and they all act under one "Domain Controller". This is what corporations and most schools use to keep their machines together. If you go to school, have you noticed that you are (probably) able to log in using your identity from any machine in school? That would be a domain at work.

In a home environment, you'll never use them.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Need help using an FTP client? Look no further! ««
Zio

Member 456

Level 19.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 01:45 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 01:45 AM #9 of 15
Oh, well I don't need a 'domain' or anything like that. Looks like home it is then. Thanks for the help.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Originally Posted by Zio
Elmoogle
Review your CD, slacker!

Member 174

Level 11.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 01:51 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 01:51 AM #10 of 15
I would chance to say that XP Corporate is the most widely used iteration of the OS out there, mainly because it is the easiest to pirate due to lack of a "registration" feature. If you're buying a legitimate version of the OS, however, Home has all the features you'll ever need outside of a large networking environment. It will also save you around $100 unless you're looking at purchasing a student edition.

Most amazing jew boots
Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 08:12 AM #11 of 15
Originally Posted by Zio
Oh, well I don't need a 'domain' or anything like that. Looks like home it is then. Thanks for the help.
Well, unless you're actually buying Windows, there's no real reason to pick one or the other. Pro/Corporate also offer a few other features--as compared to Home--that can be useful, like the group policy editor. (Pro does seem to run faster, though...)

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 08:48 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 03:48 PM #12 of 15
Actually, Pro does not run faster. In fact, it might even run slower than Home, because it comes with a lot of useless garbage services running in the background.

Home is definitely the way to go for the average user, more so a gamer. You can essentially enable all of the "Pro"-features via registry hacks, if needed.

Also keep in mind that SP2 is mandatory if you're not a huge fan of security holes and malware.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Roph
ヽ(ºДº)ノ

Member 63

Level 25.06

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 09:33 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 03:33 PM #13 of 15
Are there any specific differences in the corporate version that aren't in XP Pro? Or for example would stuff that runs fine on pro have any trouble on corporate? I'm just trying to understand what's so different about it. I don't think they'd just strip the registration function off Pro and call it a new version.

I was speaking idiomatically.
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 09:43 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 08:43 AM #14 of 15
As far as I know, the only difference between Pro and Corporate is that Corporate does not require any registration/activation. The lack of registration saves a lot of time and effort registering every pc you deploy in a company, especially when you're deploying a lot of pcs.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Zio

Member 456

Level 19.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:16 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 11:16 AM #15 of 15
Originally Posted by Snowknight
Well, unless you're actually buying Windows, there's no real reason to pick one or the other. Pro/Corporate also offer a few other features--as compared to Home--that can be useful, like the group policy editor. (Pro does seem to run faster, though...)

I'm buying it when I go to purchase my new comp from tigerdirect. :X

FELIPE NO
Originally Posted by Zio

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Windows XP, home, work, wtf?